Start by marking “Rat and Roach Rock On!” as Want to Read:
Rat and Roach Rock On!

Rat and Roach Rock On!

2.96  ·  Rating details ·  54 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
“Rat, I am ready to ROCK!"
"Huh?"
"You said I could sing in the band."
"When?"
"In the last book."
"Oh. Right."

Rat has finally agreed to let his friend Roach sing in his band... but not if Roach makes everyone wear shiny, sparkly outfits. No way! Roach can still sing, though, right?
Wrong. He can't even get out a squeak!

Just when Rat is at his tail’s end, he realizes that o
Published February 21st 2013 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rat and Roach Rock On!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rat and Roach Rock On!

Edward Sullivan
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I see Rat likes The Velveeta Underground but I'm betting Roach is no fan of Black Flag.
Laima
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A cute story book for young children ages 4-7.

Rat and Roach have a band but disagree on their choice of costume.

Roach freezes up on stage because he isn't wearing the sparkly outfit that makes him feel like singing. Rat helps out by agreeing to have the whole band change into sparkly outfits to make Roach feel better. The show goes on and all ends well.

This is what friends do for one another. This book teaches children that although friends don't always agree on everything they can still continu
Becky B
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Rat and Roach have to figure out how to compromise their tastes in order to make the band a success.

There's some cheap humor in here (Rat offering Roach some underwear to snack on and then wearing them on his head on the next page) that is likely to thrill and distract young boys. The story was ok, but I felt like it could have been done more powerfully than the author chose.

The artwork is the best part of the book. The dull colors accented by the bright green and pink are eye-catching and sure
Mary
This is a story about 2 friends who like each other but don’t always like the same things. They have a band, and one wants to wear sparkles while the other wants to be dirty. They go up for a big show, and roach can’t sing because he doesn’t sparkle. Once everyone sparkles, the band is great. It’s a story about compromise and friendship. The illustrations are ok--they would be good for K-1st grade boys.
Karin
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is another friendship book, but this one shows how important it is to support each other. One friend can't always be the one to get his or her way.

Fun rock references like THE VELVEETA UNDERGROUND, THE RAT-A-TAT PACK, E. 11th St. & Ave. A (where I think there was a punk rock boom in East Village, right?)
babyhippoface
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Rat & Roach are ready to rock out with the band, but Rat nixes Roach's sparkly outfits in favor of grungy black. Without his shimmer, Roach shuts down. He can't bring himself to sing. He needs that bling, baby!

While it wasn't a real favorite of mine, I'm betting kids will like this one.
Holly Letson
I read this on We Give Books (http://www.wegivebooks.org/books/rat-...). I did not care much for this story, because the Roach made the Rat-A-Tat rats give into his silly whims or he would not perform. I don't feel that this is a good lesson to be teaching kids.
Stephanie
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: wegivebooks.org
Shelves: children-s
Cute story about learning to give and take. Sometimes we may not want to do something - but we are willing because we care about the other person. Loved the textures and simple illustrations.
Erin
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Good for a storytime about compromise and friendship
Kim
Mar 05, 2017
Sarah Sexton
Jul 13, 2018
Lauri
rated it did not like it
Apr 15, 2013
Apr 26, 2013
Lindsay Ross-Roberts
Apr 06, 2017
1 follower
David Covell grew up in the wilds of Maine and only came home when it was time for dinner. After earning a BFA from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh he moved to Burlington, Vermont where his work for Burton Snowboards was instrumental in creating the design culture of alternative sports. Today, he works as a graphic designer in New York City, and his work has been seen around the world and ...more