Start by marking “Not Your Typical Dragon” as Want to Read:
Not Your Typical Dragon

Not Your Typical Dragon

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  900 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
Everybody knows your typical dragon breathes fire.

But when Crispin tries to breathe fire on his seventh birthday, fire doesn't come out—only whipped cream! Each time Crispin tries to breathe fire, he ends up with

Band-Aids

marshmallows

teddy bears?

Crispin wonders if he’ll ever find his inner fire. But when a family emergency breaks out, it takes a little dragon with not-
Published February 7th 2013 by Viking Books for Young Readers (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Not Your Typical Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Your Typical Dragon

Angela Burkhead
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've not had great luck with the Imagination Library, they're book choices are... odd... usually overly wordy and lacking in, dare I say it, imagination. They're not the greatest books. But, they're free entertainment, plus they come in braille for my son who will always need large print if they decide not to teach him braille skills.

We both took one look at the cover and decided we loved this book, we read it right away, and what's more exciting is after reading it we love it even more!

There's
Sadia Mansoor
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, children
But the fire did not come out. Everything else came out :P

This book is not only filled with beautiful pictures but its funny too :D
The baby dragon is certainly not your typical dragon.

Ruth
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A funny and beautiful story about a young dragon who can't breathe fire. My son laughed with every turn of the page that showed the dragon breathing ridiculous things like whipped cream and bubbles.

Also a great message about it's okay to be different, but it doesn't overwhelm the story. The illustrations are delightful as well.
Adrianne
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Poor little dragon can't even light his own birthday cake! He can however breathe out marshmallows, beach balls, and other ridiculous things. My 4 year old laughed at every page. Enjoyable read.
Raechel
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
A little one asked me to read this to him ("because you DO love dragons..." he said), and it was actually really quite cute. ^.^
Deanna Gurau
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dan Bar-el wrote a cute and silly book about a dragon who was just a bit different than other dragons. Crispin Blaze, the little dragon, couldn't breathe fire like every other dragon. He breathed other things that were not fire and ended up saving his family's house because of his special gift. The character, Crispin, develops into a person he soon loves. In the beginning of the book he ran away because he thought no one will like him because he didn't breathe fire, even he didn't like himself f ...more
Tyler Weidman
Show the cover and read the title. "This book is called, Not Your Typical Dragon. What do you think it is going to be about? What do you think the problem is going to be?"
Opening move: Prompt predictions based on title.
"Have you ever felt like you don't fit in, or can't do what you're expected to do?"
Opening move: Prompt brief sharing of personal experience to the topic or theme.
"Well this story is about a dragon who felt like that, too. This Dragon couldn't breathe fire like the other Dragons."
Penny
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read 18/01/17
Caroline Daniel
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-4050
• Not Your Typical Dragon
o Summary: This is a book about a young dragon named Crispin Blaze. On his 7th birthday, he cannot wait to finally be able to breathe fire. Sadly, his wish does not come true. Instead of breathing fire he breathes out whatever goes along with the situation he is in. He breathes out Band-Aids, marshmallows, and ton of other things. He is not your typical dragon. He meets a knight that is unlike most knights you would meet. Together they try to figure out why Crispin cann
Ms. Jeane
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's a little too long for my storytimes but I might try and read it to my preschoolers because it has a really good message about being ok if you're different.
babyhippoface
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Crispin the dragon doesn't breathe fire. He doesn't know why, he just can't. He opens his mouth to breathe fire, and out comes...whipped cream. Or bubbles. Or band-aids. (I was not expecting that one.)

Out of fear that he'll be an embarrassment to his parents, Crispin runs away to live a life of solitude. That plan goes awry when a small knight appears. He, too, has run away in order to avoid embarrassing his family. When he challenges Crispin to do his worst, Crispin breathes out a stream of...
Denise
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book about acceptance.
Rosa Cline
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Rosa by: Dolly Parton Imagination Library
This book was sent to my 3 year old granddaughter by the Dolly Parton Imagination Library; it's such a wonderful book to help encourage parents, friends and individuals to 'accept' people as they are even if they are a bit different than 'normal'. The little dragon can't breath fire and he thinks his parents aren't proud of him so he goes off on his own and while he's gone he runs into a knight that feels the same about himself and his Dad. At the end the little dragon saves the day and his fami ...more
Pidget Bobidget
Crispin Blaze the dragon turned 7 and is supposed to breathe fire like the rest of him family, but instead he breathes... bubbles, whipped cream, band-aids, whatever is needed at the time. He runs away in shame and encounters and young boy knight, Sir George, whose father sent him on a quest to fight a fire-breathing dragon. Sir George tries to help Crispin breathe fire, and eventually they become friends. When Sir George's father says that a dragon that doesn't breathe fire is silly, Crispin's ...more
Alex Housman
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5-picture-books
Poor Crispin Blaze, the young dragon, he was supposed to breathe fire. However, he breathes out everything but! Whipped cream, marshmallows, and bandaids came out instead. The medicine did not help Crispin be a real dragon either, he is fireless. He cannot even fight a knight because he does not breathe fire. The knight fed Crispin spicy foods so that perhaps Crispin could breathe out fire. After other events, there is a fire and only Crispin can breathe out the water needed to save the day. The ...more
Traci Bold
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This picture book is perfect as a #diversity book about learning to accept who you are and to stop worrying about who you are expected to be. Teaches acceptance in a fun way that is easy for young ones to understand as they read about a dragons plight of not being able to breathe fire like he supposed to.

Instead, the dragon has a gift, unbeknownst to him and his family until...

Written by Dan Bar-el, illustrated by Tim Bowers and published by Viking Books, an imprint of Penguin Books.

#diversity
Brittany
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Poor Crispin didn't breathe fire on his seventh birthday like all the other dragons did. He breathed whipped cream instead. As his family and a not-so-brave knight try to figure out why this is happening to him he continues to breathe a variety of unusual things. Crispin doesn't particularly enjoy this about himself until the end of the story when his difference is celebrated. Kids will enjoy the silly things that come out of Crispin's mouth, but it may be a bit too long for a typical storytime ...more
Lauren
Sep 21, 2016 added it
This was a wonderful tale of friends trying to work to help each other out. this was a cleverly written book about a dragon that outcast because he couldn't breathe fire and a young knight that's helps him try to breathe fire.
-K-3 would be ideal for this book.
-Help students realize that everyone is different.
-A kid who feels left out.
-I think this book should be read to the whole class with teacher led discussion rather than used in small groups.
-Fantasy picture books
-There is not a multimedia
Kendra Hurst
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: january
This book was incredibly adorable. I thought that the illustrations were very well done. The story was funny as well. It also had a good moral to the story about friendship and even if you are different you can still be friends. Then, the book shows bravery on both the part of the baby dragon, his father, and the young knight. The story also said something to the effect that "Even though he can't breathe fire, he can..." This will help kids to learn and accept that everyone has their own individ ...more
Hannah
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is just delightful! I plan on making it a dial-a-story, so look for it when I post it again, and then call in to listen!

"For Kevin, who would rather a tickle a dragon than fight one. D.B. & To Betsy and Jeff W. and my CAP (Children's Alopecia Project) friends. Again proving that "not typical" can be the most special. T.B."

Kim
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun book to read. I can see children really enjoying this book. I had to read it several times, I enjoyed it so much. I just adore the vibrant illustrations. I am looking on Amazon for a copy of this book today. It would be an incredible mentor text for illustrations, as well as using your imagination. It would also be great when introducing fantasy in the classroom.
Amy
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
HAHA! Awesome humor.

A little dragon can't seem to manifest his fire-breathing abilities and take his place among the great members of his race. When he tries, no fire comes out! Only whipped cream. Or band-aids. Or teddy bears!
Carole
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books-read
Crispin Blaze is a young dragon who is almost 7. On his birthday he is supposed to be able to breathe fire like every other dragon, but he finds that he cannot. He does breathe a variety of other things though. In the end he discovers that breathing fire is not that important after all.
Katie
May 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Embrace what makes you different; that is the moral of this lovely children's book. An extremely loveable dragon who can't blow fire is the main character in Bar-el's story, and as the story progresses you learn along with him that being different can definitely come in handy!
Erin
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 02-fantasy
This is such a good book! It has quite a few words on the page, and there is a decent amount of pages. So I would read it to children who can sit still and really enjoy a good story. It was very funny and cute. It was well worth the read.
Benji Martin
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's tough to write a good dragon book these days. They have been done and done and overdone. This one, however is refreshing. It breathes new life (and bubbles and whipped cream and teddy bears and streamers and beach balls) into a very old subject.
Jodie
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun story about a dragon who is not able to breathe fire. He has some other special talents instead. At first he is not accepted, but others see how valuable his specialness is when a problem happens and he is the only one who can fix it. Illustrations are well done and creative.
Anna
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool-lit
A nice one for celebrating differences and to say that being different isn't a bad thing.
Marian Velivis
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Don't rate all the picture books I get to read, however, this was a nice find. A sweet and well-written story with fun illustrations!
Love when I find a new book to read to first grade!
Inara
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, dragons
Great fun guessing what Crispin would breathe next.
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • Waking Dragons
  • 123 versus ABC
  • Tea Party Rules
  • Mo's Mustache
  • Lovabye Dragon
Dan Bar-el is an award-winning children’s author, educator and storyteller. His writing includes both chapter books, picture books, and recently, a graphic novel.

For the past twenty-three years, Dan has been working with children ages 3 to 13. He’s been a school age childcare provider, a preschool teacher, a creative drama and a creative writing teacher. He’s developed a multitude of creative act
More about Dan Bar-el...