Start by marking “A Catered St. Patrick's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #8)” as Want to Read:
A Catered St. Patrick's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #8)

A Catered St. Patrick's Day

(A Mystery with Recipes #8)

Catering sisters Bernie and Libby Simmons wade into a Celtic knot of malice and mayhem when a St. Patrick's Day celebration goes terribly wrong, in this eighth installment of Crawford's cozy series.

Gastronomical dream team Bernie and Libby Simmons wade into a Celtic knot of malice and mayhem when a St. Patrick's celebration goes terribly wrong...

To most of the people of litt/>Gastronomical
Published March 5th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 31st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Catered St. Patrick's Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Catered St. Patrick's Day

Tari
I enjoyed reading this mystery featuring an ex-police chief father and his two daughters as a sleuthing team. I really want to start this series from the beginning to fill in a few recurring character holes and to find out what exactly happened to Sean to make him unable to drive. Out of context, I got the general idea, but it's always good to read from the beginning. I wanted to read this for one of my challenges and thought it was cool to actually finish on St. Patrick's Day.

I had
Linda
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
Another good adventure with Libby and Bernie. This one kept me guessing and the ending was really good and exciting.
Nancy Narma
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Green Beer and Lots of Intrigue”

This is the first of Ms. Crawford’s books I have read and it is also my introduction to the sleuthing world of Libby and Bernie Simmons. As St. Patrick’s Day approaches, Bernie and Libby are busy as bees in their shop, “A Little Taste Of Heaven”, when Bernie receives a distress call from her bartender-boyfriend; Brandon, asking them to meet him at R.J.”s, the local tavern in which he works. He had had problems with the unruly members of the “Corned Be
☆☆Hannah☆☆
This was another good read in the series. I liked how in this one we got more time with the dad and Marvin. Plus it was nice that they were spending more time with each other. The only disappointing part was that they spent less time cooking/baking. However, it was because they were hired to solve the murder. Which was nice since normally they just do it on their own for free.
Leah
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously, this one takes place around St. Patrick's Day. I still like the characters, especially Marivn. He's sweet. The mystery was intriguing, and the story took some interesting turns. Also, the food, mostly desserts, sounded delicious.
Carlin
I got off on the wrong foot. I admit I was drawn to this book by the title (I love all things Celtic) and the cover (green cupcakes!). However, I found it hard to find any interest in the characters until 3/4 of the way through the book. It is the 8th in Isis Crawford's series and I feel sure she assumes her readers have read the prior books and know the background of the main characters. Generally when I read a mystery starting in the middle of the series I expect an early review of the backgro ...more
Joanne
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-read
It started ok but for some reason I got bored and annoyed by some of the discussions. There wasn't much cooking either. Characters where quite narky with each other even the sister sleuths. I have read better.
patricia
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a member of the Corn Beef and Cabbage Society is found dead in a keg of green beer the bartender Brandon calls Libbie and Bernie as witness to his boss's plan. When the police arrest Duncan, his aunt Bree hires Libbie and Bernie along with their ex cop father to investigate and find the real murderer. A Catered St Patrick's Day has them getting nowhere at first and uncovering the truth. Isis Crawford wrote this easy to read mystery.
Denise Spicer
This 2012 caper follows the Simmons sisters, Bernie and Libby and their dad, Sean, as they investigate a bizarre murder. Much detested swindler Mike Sweeney has been drowned in a keg of green beer. Lots of suspects give the sleuths plenty to investigate in this somewhat contrived plot. Includes 3 recipes.

Lindsay Pate
This book was an entertaining, cozy mystery with just the right amount of suspense to keep me guessing who was the actual murderer. I enjoyed the dynamic among Bernie, Libby, and Sean and, while there were depictions of murders, it wasn't over-the-top gruesome. Overall, it was a pleasant reading experience.
Emilia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am sorry to be giving 3 stars. I feel bad each time I do it, but I want to be honest.
Plot was fine if a bit dragging along, it is the impression of "fakeness" that got me there... The dialogues just did not seem real, and a bit repetitive.
The "whodunit" part I have nothing but good things to say about, just the way it flew...
Terri
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cute little cozy mystery. Kind of corny, funny, pretty good mysteriousness, fun family dynamics. The average little mystery of its type. If you like cozy mysteries you'll probably like this. This is the first one of this series I've read, as you can see it's #8. I found it on Book Bub I believe, so it was cheap. I will read more of them....eventually. And, the recipes look pretty good!
Kathi Rutherford
Family of detectives so!he's case

This was disappointing,as I thought it was set in Ireland,not a superb of NYC.It is very detailed and slow for me.The sisters run a bakery and help their ex-cop dad so!be crimes.
Rachel
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice to find a new mystery series to read
Soc Page
sarah saulson's grasshopper squares
caramel beer sauce
florence's lemon cake
Bonnie Drummond
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mystery that will have you shaking your head. A mystery that shows you what greed is to some people and what the fall out is to others.
Joanne
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: seasonal-reads
First time reading this author and cozy mystery series. I really enjoyed it and liked that Sean (dad) was a former chief of police so solving the crime was very methodical. The daughters, Libby and Bernie owe a cafe/bakery and spent a fair amount of time cooking, working and enjoying their food, but food did not seem to be in the forefront like in some other cozies. It involved a ponzi scheme and locals losing their nest egg to bad investments.

My biggest complaint was a big blooper.
Liam and wi
Nora-adrienne
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies
A Catered St. Patrick’s Day
By Isis Crawford
Copyright February 2012
Publisher Kensington Publishing

Gastronomical dream team Bernie and Libby Simmons wade into a Celtic knot of malice and mayhem when a St. Patrick’s celebration goes terribly wrong…
To most of the people of little Longely, New York, St. Paddy’s Day means good food, great music, and plenty of Guinness. But when the lifeless body of Mike Sweeney floats to the top of a vat of green beer, it looks like
Marie
Apr 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In A Catered St. Patrick's Day, Bernie and Libby Simmons, sisters from A Little Taste of Heaven catering, become involved in a St. Patrick's Day murder. When Mike Sweeney is found floating in a vat of green beer, a likely suspect is quickly identified. It's Duncan, the nephew of the caterers' best customer, Bree Nottingham. She approaches the sisters asking if they can help clear him. As they poke around, it sure looks like Duncan is guilty, but he's not the only one that wanted Sweeney dead. It's u ...more
Ann-marie
Isis Crawford has written a whole series of holiday themed murder mysteries featuring Libby and Bernie Simmons. They are sisters who are full time caterers and part time sleuths. They are quick and easy to read. The characters are likable and the stories are engaging. This particular mystery involves a broker who is drowned in a barrel of green beer. Overall, an entertaining romp.
Lisa
Nov 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The Simmons sisters, Libby and Bernie, are hired by one of their catering clients to clear her nephew, Duncan, of a crime he claims he didn't commit. Suspects keep disappearing, and Duncan looks guiltier as time goes by. The Simmons sisters' father, ex-cop Sean, played a prominent role in this story. I was so excited to read this book because it is about one of my favorite holidays. However, I had this book checked out for about nine weeks. I thought I would NEVER finish it, so I finally forced ...more
Kayla West
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up this novel, it was early last month and, of course, close to St. Patrick's Day. So, appropriately, I knew that I had to commemorate the holiday by reading it.
I have never read any of Isis Crawford's novels, but now I may just have to look them up and start, because this book was interesting, intriguing, and a bit quirky. All of the qualities that I love in a good murder mystery.
A Catered St. Patrick's Day starts out at the bakery named A Little Taste of Heaven
Julie Barrett
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Catered St. Patrick's Day by Isis Crawford
Realize the author has put out other books along the same lines, just different holidays and after reading 1/2 of the first page I know I will be hunting down the rest of the books to read.
Being as I do bake just listening, reading about how they are handling the dough makes me think I can learn something from them by reading this book. The luck is with them, besides the 4 leaf clovers they have the kitchen witch there.
I remember maki
Melanie Adkins
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Little Taste of Heaven is owned by the Simmones and has been for years. They make the best tasting food around! Since their mother died, Bernie and Libby were now running the shop and keeping the family tradition going. There is another side to this family though. With their dad being a former police officer, Bernie and Libby got interested in solving crimes. They were pretty good at it too. So good in fact, they and their dad were private investigators as well as terrific cooks. Wouldn't you ...more
Anne
OK, I found it a little hard to follow.
Cheryl
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was initially attracted to this book by the delicious looking cupcakes on the front cover (I know, a very shallow reason to want to read a book!)but it also promised to be a mystery so I thought it might be good. I was wrong. This book should have been fast-paced and full of action, given the plot description. However, it contained a lot of extemporaneous descriptions of food mixed in with the plot, which I felt were really unnecessary and made for slow reading. I really didn't need to read ab ...more
Staci
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for my genre fiction class in grad school as part of the weekly holiday book assignment.
Bernie and Libby are two sisters who run a cafe, bakery, and catering service outside of New York City. But on the side, these ladies are amateur detectives who solve mysteries, usually murders, with the help of their retired police chief dad and their boyfriends.
St. Patrick's Day starts out with a call from Bernie's boyfriend who finds a man dead; drown in a keg of green beer at the back of
Mayda
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
St. Paddy’s Day is a time for celebration and good fun. What could possibly put a damper on that? Well, finding a dead body, drowned in a barrel of green beer meant for tomorrow’s festivities could slow it down a bit. And when the suspect in that murder is the nephew of one of your best customers, you really have no choice but to track down the actual killer. Sisters Bernie and Libby along with their retired cop father Sean are chasing down leads. Boyfriend bartender Brandon helps with informati ...more
Mrs Ward
Mar 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my cup of tea. I read 3 chapters before giving up. If a book doesn't grab my attention at the beginning, I always give the author 3 chapters to catch my interest. If he can't get me to care about *any* of his characters by then, I stop reading. The library is full of good books still unread; I don't need to waste time reading boring ones.

This isn't #1 in the series, so perhaps Crawford introduced the characters better in the previous books, but I just didn't like any of them, and
Sherry
Mar 12, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy mystery readers
Recommended to Sherry by: No one
Bernie & Libby get asked to solve a murder by a person they know, Bree, who wants them to clear her nephews name from the murder. But the more they gather the clues, the more Duncan, Bree's nephew is looking guilty. Meanwhile, another person, Lisa, gets murdered and is related to the case. Bernie & Libby aren't seeing eye to eye, so Bernie goes one way, and Libby another with the clues they are getting. Libby has to talk to Orion, a past live in boyfriend, to answer some questions to hel ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Cookie Before Dying (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Scotched (Liss MacCrimmon Mysteries #5)
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery, #3)
  • Peppermint Twisted (A Candy Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Inked Up (Stamping Sisters, #2)
  • Too Many Cooks (Angie Amalfi, #2)
  • Death Drops (A Natural Remedies Mystery #1)
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • Mother's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #15)
  • Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mysteries, #2)
  • Dying for Dinner (A Cooking Class Mystery, #4)
  • Clobbered by Camembert (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • A Sticky Situation (Sugar Grove Mystery, #3)
  • Butter Safe Than Sorry (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #18)
Isis Crawford was born in Egypt to parents who were in the diplomatic corps. When she was five, her family returned to the States, where her mother opened a restaurant in Upper Westchester County and her father became a university professor. Since then Isis has combined her parents’ love of food and travel by running a catering service as well as penning numerous travel-related articles about plac ...more

A Mystery with Recipes (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • A Catered Wedding (A Mystery with Recipes, #2)
  • A Catered Christmas (A Mystery with Recipes, #3)
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)
  • A Catered Birthday Party (A Mystery with Recipes, #6)
  • A Catered Thanksgiving (A Mystery with Recipes, #7)
  • A Catered Christmas Cookie Exchange (A Mystery with Recipes, #9)
  • A Catered Fourth of July (A Mystery with Recipes, #10)
  • A Catered Mother's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #11)