Start by marking “The Good Life” as Want to Read:
The Good Life

The Good Life

Nicer car, bigger house, whatever your heart desires. Everybody wants to live The Good Life. But what happens when dreams become nightmares and the promise of freedom leads to a life of imprisonment? What happens when you discover that all that’s gold loses its glitter? Maybe the rich and famous aren’t living The Good Life. Maybe our dreams are rooted in lies. And maybe, j ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Moody Publishers (first published September 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Life

Start your review of The Good Life
Addy S.
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Once again, I stand amazed at Trip Lee's wisdom and great insight!! In this book, he seeks to define the 'Good Life' in a biblical manner, and he definitely succeeded. I especially loved the part on suffering and how, even though it is not fun, is part of the 'Good Life'. Thank you, Trip, for your encouragement and wisdom!! Highly reccomend. :)
Jamie
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Here’s a little insider-not-going-to-change-your-life-in-any-way piece of information: I have a thing for rap and hip hop. I have a feeling most of y’all won’t be shocked. Back in the day, there was plenty to jam to: Snoop, Tupac, Biggie, Dre…I could go on and on. But I love hip hop and rap (along with all types of other music too!). But I always have. I love dancing to a good beat, whether at a wedding or all by myself in the car at a stoplight.

To say the message of many of those artists isn’t
Riley Young
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Good Life by Trip Lee is a great book that addresses how common beliefs are contrary to the truth. The work is nonfiction and written from a Christian perspective. Trip Lee is a renowned Christian hip-hop artist and a member of 116 Clique, a group of Christian hip-hop artists like him. This book talks about the problems of living the so-called good life and how we need to reach to God for help.
American Christianity has become a weak, common belief that does not truly mean anything to the p
Rahel
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you want to live "the good life", this is the book to read! March 31, 2014
I was at my church one Sunday looking at some of the books they had on their shelves. I was just skimming at the titles and authors when i read "Trip Lee" as the author of one of the books. This surprised me because i know Trip Lee to be a rapper and i had no idea he was a writer. I pick up the book and opened to the last page and saw his picture!! I was beyond excited because he was one of my favorite rappers so of co
Josue Manriquez
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet book. It's a clear summary and introduction to the "Good Life," which Trip Lee defines as "living by faith in a good God" (pg. 14).

This book is written as something of a short primer to the Christian life. Trip Lee begins with God and sin, and progresses by explaining the keys to the Good life (i.e. the Gospel; the Bible; God's people). Next he goes on to explain how we are to live the good life, such as by performing good works. Toward the end is a short section of what kind of
Gavin Breeden
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Trip Lee is a Christian rapper (a field that seems to be growing by the day, surprisingly), but he really knows his stuff. This book is sort of a companion piece to the album he released earlier this year. Many of his lyrics appear between the chapters. In this book he gives a simple, nuanced, and biblically informed presentation of the gospel and the Christian life. Lee consistently pits the good news of Jesus against the idols of the world: materialism, sex, fame, etc. He does all of this with ...more
Harold Cameron
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Nicer car, bigger house, whatever your heart desires. Everybody wants to live The Good Life. But what happens when dreams become nightmares and the promise of freedom leads to a life of imprisonment? What happens when you discover that all that's gold loses its glitter? Maybe the rich and famous aren't living The Good Life. Maybe our dreams are rooted in lies. And maybe, just maybe those who have less really have more. What is The Good Life...really?

In this book, titled after his acclaimed four
Brenda
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
Christian rap artist Trip Lee has written a concise, easily readable little book on the basics of the Christian life. The format was very logical and the theme of the good life (i.e. a life of faith in God through Jesus Christ) came through in each chapter. Using his context in the rap music genre, some of his examples were unfamiliar to me. For the most part, that did not distract me from the main messages he was presenting.
Justin Dixon
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
You don’t go to Footlocker to satisfy your hunger. You don’t turn to the world to find satisfaction for life. This is the main idea Trip Lee presents, pleading his readers to find ultimate satisfaction in a relationship with God. In this small book, Barefield (Trip Lee) does not dive into deep theological debates, but reminds us of simple truths we often forget.
LaRosa Jr.
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I’ve been following Trip Lee’s musical career since he first showed up on the scene on a 116 Clique compilation album. With several albums under his belt, he is no longer the young buck that he once was; he is now a seasoned veteran with a lot to say. The Good Life is Trip Lee’s latest release, and with it he decided to step his game up to another level. Not only is he releasing an album that is sure to please fans’ ears, he is also releasing a book of the same title so that he can further drive ...more
Richard
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A simple yet effective way of presenting the Gospel
Danielle
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Edythe Hamilton
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Everyone wants to live the ‘good life’ complete with love, nice home, nice car living happily ever after which most have grown up learning this is the ideal American dream to strive toward. Trip Lee discusses living the ‘good life’ in an entirely different manner and approach than the mainstream media enforced visions we observe on a daily basis. Whether we observe these visions on a billboard or view the messages on a television set or study the photographs of super thin models in a fashion mag ...more
Rianna *Hermione* B
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love how real & plain he makes everything. When I read it, I heard his voice as if he were reading it to me. lol. It really conversational. It's not verbose & where you get tired of reading. It's so on point & the examples he gives from life, pop culture, news, or his personal life are great. You just get it. The excerpts of Trip Lee's songs are probably my favorite feature.

1 of my favorite examples that Trip Lee used in his writing was near the end, talking about Heaven.. & how 2Pac describe
Anthony Lara
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
A must read for our youth. With society pushing the desire to pursue monetary belongings and material things, it's too easy for the youth to get caught up in the lies they think will entail a "good life". In actuality the Good Life is literally ready for the taking. Trip Lee writes in a manner is flowing and very easy to read. He explains using many biblical references how to live the appropriate Christian life as directed by the word. From committing every aspect, prayer and disciple ship, The ...more
Jami
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Good Life is an exposé of the pop culture view "making it". It encourages the reader to look at life through a biblical perspective and shed the glasses of cultural norm. If you're looking for "the secret" to achieving fame, or even a scholastic deep dive into the Christian existence, you won't find it here. What you will find is a practical reference to purpose driven life; in terms that both the young urban hipster and the middle-aged suburban mom can understand. Every one knows someone wh ...more
Matthew
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really good introduction to the Christian faith from one of my favorite rappers. Trip states in the book he wants to be a pastor one day, and that seems like it will be a great fit for him now that he's leaving the music game. He knows his stuff, knows the Bible well, and has a pastor's heart. He does a great job here of restating the fundamental truths of Christianity in terms that will be very understandable for those encountering it fresh.
Pathway Midland
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a decent read. It was written by Trip-Lee, a Christian rapper. I haven't heard much of his music, but his writing seems to be right on spiritually. This book takes basic christian concepts and explores them more deeply. Each chapter ends with Trip Lee's lyrics from his "The Good Life" album. The book was well written and challenging both for the non-christian and the christian.

- Curtis
Ben Lane
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
'The Good Life,' Trip Lee's sort of companion piece to his 2012 album of the same name, is a very quick read, but a very good one. Lee is one of the most talented rappers in the Christian music scene, and this book does a nice job at showcasing his heart for the gospel as well. His theology is sound, and even though the writing isn't necessarily top notch, it still proves to be a motivational read. If you're a fan of Trip's music, this book is well worth your time.
Danielle
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith-soul-love
This was a great little book. I respect Trip so much and have been blessed by his love for the Lord and passion for the Gospel. He and Lecrae and the other Reach Records guys are really in the trenches of the culture war, and like their albums, I think this book's strength is in the fact that it's accessible to a wide-ranging audience -- not just people who have grown up in the church.
Uele Nayo
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I have been a fan and supporter of Trip Lee and his ministry for a few years now, and when I heard that he was writing a book, I couldn't wait to read it. And I am so happy that I did! He is an excellent writer who is able to incorporate his music into his book and really glorify God with his gifts. I hope that he writes more in the future.
Curtis
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was a decent read. It is written by Trip-Lee a Christian rapper. I haven't heard much of his music, but his writing seems to be right on spiritually. This book takes basic christian concepts and explores them more deeply. Each chapter ends with Trip Lee's lyrics from his "The Good Life" album. The book was well written and challenging both for the non-christian and the christian.
Devin Munro
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great message from Reach Records Artist/ 116 member Trip Lee. This book brings up the question, are you truly living your life with purpose and with a REAL goal in mind? I love the for that Trip included lyrics from his Good Life album, which supported each chapter that it was inserted in. A great book!
Josiah
Feb 10, 2015 rated it liked it
It was a good book overall, I am a fan of hip hop and rap and more so a fan of Trip Lee, so I figured I would give this book a shot. It was a bit shallow for me, but I as blessed by a few insightful comments and am impressed with his maturity for his age.
The Rad Books
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
This is a pretty good book for someone looking for an introduction to having a relationship with God. The writing was good and conversational, but the content could be found in most other Christian books of the same type.
Stacey
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great, great, great. Especially for a new Believer.
Daniel Scott
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book relates a lot with our culture.
Nghia Jones
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We need to focus on building treasures in heaven. "Earth" is not our home. Act like it.
Jenelle
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This has easily become one of my favorite nonfiction books ever. It was so, so good!
Kyle Mcdanell
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read my review here. ...more

• Unashamed
  • Hooked: New Science on How Casual Sex is Affecting Our Children
  • Kingdom Man: Every Man's Destiny, Every Woman's Dream
  • Passing the Tests of Life: Lessons to Get Unstuck and Prepared for Where you Want to Go
  • Rap Dad: A Story of Family and the Subculture That Shaped a Generation
  • Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 (Mouse Guard, #1)
  • The Art of Usagi Yojimbo
  • X-Men and Spider-Man: The Past (Time's Arrow, #1)
  • The Art of Cuphead
  • Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk: Rampage (Doom's Day, #1)
  • Spider-Man: Deadly Foes of Spider-Man
  • Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story
  • Sonic the Hedgehog Archives: Volume 1 (Sonic the Hedgehog Archives, #1)
  • Spider-Man: The Venom Factor