Start by marking “Uri Geller: Magician or Mystic?” as Want to Read:
Uri Geller: Magician or Mystic?

Uri Geller: Magician or Mystic?

Jonathan Margolis‘s biography of Uri Geller, the controversial spoon-bending and mind-reading performer, was the first to examine dispassionately whether the former Israeli paratrooper is a talented magician or something altogether more mysterious – perhaps even an authentic paranormalist.
Published 2012 by Apostrophe Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Uri Geller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uri Geller

Daniel Benshana
I received a copy in a Giveaway.

I had two main thoughts about this book. On the one hand is the interesting life of Uri Geller himself and on the other the writer's skill. The former was pretty much lost on me by the lack of the latter.

Page 57 before it even got out of a long list of experiments, page 128 or so before the one fascinating insight into his childhood is even mentioned? An introduction peppered with '(as we shall see later)' type brackets - I mean surely you stop doing that in A Lev
Heather Hill
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
An Interesting Insight

I began to read this book as a person who admittedly has always doubted there was anything truly magical or mystical about Uri Geller. My reason for reading it was because of a friend that recommended it; someone who is very much in the other court as it were, who said he would be interested to hear my thoughts on it. Well, here they are!
It took me perhaps a fortnight or more to read this, because it was quite heavy at times but also incredibly interesting to me. I found t
Fiona
Spent a wet Sunday afternoon reading this. It's fairly fascinating although these revelations were largely broadcast in the recent documentary about Uri Geller so nothing was a surprise. This is the second book Margolis has written about Geller but I haven't read the first. Personally, I often felt bogged down by information designed to reassure the reader that the account is true and I didn't much enjoy the writing style. The grammar was fairly random and oddly placed commas led to confusing se ...more
Al Bità
Sep 14, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I met Uri Geller as part of a group of officers of the Australian Federal Government Department of the Media some time in the late 1970s. We met up with him in his North Sydney hotel where he was staying. For some reason he chose me to demonstrate one of his mind-reading/transference acts. I was to draw an object, then 'transfer' my thought to him; he would pick this up and then draw the image I was transmitting to him. My first attempt was a drawing of an apple, with a twig and two leaves at th ...more
Deirdre Kent
Interesting enough. I have always been interested in parapsychology and this book documents the scientific evidence on his powers.

However it could do with a better editor. The sentences are too long and then when you have to read them again to get any sense out of it, it is frustrating. One sentence was a whole paragraph long.

Nonetheless very worthwhile.
Peter Laws
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty gripped by this. Made me question the notion that Geller is just a trickster.
Em
Mar 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
I picked this book up on sale because I thought 'Uri CIA? I'd like to see how this is explained'. I wish I hadn't. It's one of the most poorly-written books I've ever read.

The book is written in a nonsensical order and constantly references back and forth for no reason ('as previously seen', 'later in this book'). There is a massive overuse of commas and the word 'paradoxically'.

Here's an example from page 198:

'Was it a mistake for Geller to link up with Puharich?' pondered John Hasted, an atomi
Gloria
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gloria by: Goodreads - First Reads
I was fortunate to receive a copy of The Secret Life of Uri Geller.. from Goodreads - First Reads.
I was pleased to win what I hoped would be an interesting and informative read.
This was not to be the case! I felt 'bogged down' with the author's attempt to validate the Uri Geller phenomena and lost interest.
I'm sure that this book would be of interest to a number of people, alas I cannot count myself among this group.
Jason
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
certainly an interesting life

another e book with a number of typos. I do find the lack of proofreading insulting. If I take the time to read a book, why can't it be proofed ? I start to wonder about the quality of the editing and fact checking. Anyway, we eventually find out that Geller does have some sort of power (I think) though no one seems to know what exactly what.
Robin
Michael Schmicker
Apr 14, 2014
Richard Dickison
Nov 23, 2016
Jonathan Margolis is a journalist for The Financial Times, The Guardian and The Sunday Times (UK). He has been a contributor to Time as well as several other online magazines. He has written several celebrity biographies including ones on John Cleese, Uri Geller and the orgasm.