Start by marking “A Pride of Kings (The Platagenets, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Pride of Kings (The Platagenets, #1)

A Pride of Kings

(The Plantagenets #1)

The first king whom William Marshal met had nearly hanged him. That was Stephen of Blois. Years later, William Marshal, the landless, penniless younger son who earned his living with his sword on the tourney fields of Europe, and rose to the highest office in the land under the crown, served five kings of the great Plantagenet line. One died in his arms, one accused him wi ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 160 pages
Published March 1978 by New English Library

To ask other readers questions about A Pride of Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pride of Kings

Dawn (& Ron)
A recent find, first in Juliet Dymoke's The Plantagenet series.

I do have one concern, how in the world did they squeeze William Marshall life into 215 pages? And it's not teeny tiny font.
ETA: the formatting of this book left much to be desired. For example, the paragraphs were not indented, merely a new line of text. Also the grammatical errors probably would have been resolved with another edit.

I've never read a book focusing on this period of English history and found this book was interesting. I must admit to knowing just the basics going into this story, but this book seemed to be well researched. The political situation was very volatile, given the many years this book cov
Eileen Briesch
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tale of a loyal knight

I’ve read a few books about William Marshall and this was a good tale of his long life. There were a few things that bothered me in it. For one, the author says Eleanor has no grandchildren other than the two by son Geoffrey, who died: Arthur and Eleanor of Brittany. But earlier, she says daughter Mathilda has children. And that’s true.

Someone else pointed out that the physical presentation of the story was disturbing. The paragraphs weren’t indented, so sometimes it
Susan
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sorry to say I did not like it....I found all the names and characters overwhelming. I had a hard time remembering who was who. I had read book on the life of Eleanor of Aquitaine, as well as one on Richard the Lionhearted so I was somewhat familiar with the timeline and background, nevertheless I still found it somewhat confusing. Eleanor and Richard’s lives were fascinating and It’s the reason I kept on reading this book. Had I not had that knowledge I would have put this book down after the f ...more
La Brinna Dell Worthy
Good Book Read in a Day

It was well written, I felt like I could visualize the characters and events as they occurred. It was as if history came alive. I would reccomend this book to anyone who love history!!!

Mary Milner
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

The book is historical fiction but stays pretty true to historical facts. Worth reading. The author keeps the story moving along in her retelling.
Lesezeichen
3.5/5
Joelle
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Slow at starting but then the story picked up! Would recommend for anyone who likes historical fiction or an interesting tale!
Stacey Richardson
I felt like the timeline was rushed. You flip a few pages and ten years have gone by.
Hazel Waite
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

I loved this book. I didn't know really anything about William Marshall before reading this so the wealth of information and history was amazing.
Pamela
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this novel. I will definitely continue on with the rest of the series.
Katey
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF
Chet
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Having read many other books that included the Marshals, uninstalling of the story had an easy familiarity. The Marshal family achieved a pervasive integrity.
Kate Joekel
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well told history

Although this book is historical fiction, I liked the fact that it was true to history as Of am acquainted with it. The storyline of William Marshall and his long and loyal association with Henry and his sons was well told. Although I have read several versions of Marshalls life, my interest did not flag and this remarkable man came to life again o. These pages.
If you enjoy historical fiction well written, this book is for you!
Jayne Quince
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read following the life and times of William Marshall

I liked the style of the writing in this book. Historical events told in a way that was easy to follow. The differing characters of the first Plantagenet kings are keenly drawn. I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Shauna Greika
This was a more compact version of events centered around William Marshal and the kings he served. It went pretty fast, in my opinion. then again, I have read many books on the Plantagenets so was very familiar with the historical events and the role Marshal played.
Rachael S
I got this on Kindle and found it shorter than expected. It was a very long life to fit into a couple of hundred pages!

However, despite the numerous typos generated in the conversion to ebook, it was a light and enjoyable read. I'll definitely be moving on to book 2!
P.
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dense with historical fact and literary license Pride is the story of five Plantagenet kings told through the eyes of William the Marshall. Despite the format problems - which are distracting - a decent read.
E David Thompson
Great Read

This is a very well written book. I enjoyed reading it. Few books address the excesses of the Plantagenet line of Kings this one did.
Rabia Idil
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Importance of loyalty. Maybe disadvantages of loyalty. Is your son is important or your king which you hate?
Colleen
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I recommend Elizabeth Chadwick's books about William Marshall.
Lynn Smith
This was my mum's and I loved reading historical fiction having already found Jean Plaidy through our library I was now aged 12 and able to add Juliet Dymoke to my must reads.
K Noden
Wendy Baily
May 01, 2019
Corinne
May 11, 2016

• Montfort: The Early Years -  1229 to 1243 (Monfort, #1)
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • The Secret Diary of Eleanor Cobham
  • The White Boar (Lovell Duo, #1)
  • A Tabernacle for the Sun (The Botticelli Trilogy, #1)
  • Fortune Made His Sword
  • Light on Lucrezia (Lucrezia Borgia, #2)
  • The Gold Seekers (The Australians, #7)
  • The Romance of Atlantis
  • The Court of the Midnight King
  • The World, the Flesh and the Devil
  • Joanna (The Roselynde Chronicles, #3)
  • Knight's Acre (Suffolk, #1)
  • The Beaufort Bride: The Life of Margaret Beaufort (The Beaufort Chronicles #1)
  • The Bride of the Wilderness (Paul Christopher #6)
  • The Everlasting Covenant
  • Courtesan
  • Loyalty
Juliet Dymoke was born at Enfield in Middlesex and educated at a boarding school in the country. During the war she worked for The Canadian Army Medical Records and at that time married Hugo de Schanschieff who was then serving as an air gunner in he Royal Air Force.

It was while her husband was away in the R.A.F. that Juliet Dymoke turned her attention to writing and also to work on scripts for v

The Plantagenets (6 books)
  • The Royal Griffin (The Plantagenets, #2)
  • Lion of Mortimer (The Plantagenets, #3)
  • Lady of the Garter (The Plantagenets, #4)
  • Lord of Greenwich (The Plantagenets, #5)
  • The Sun In Splendor (The Plantagenets, #6)