Start by marking “Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)” as Want to Read:
Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)

Rogue Spy

(Spymasters #5)

Thomas Paxton and Camille Leyland were starving Caché orphans, trained to be assassins for the Revolution. After Pax and Cami confess infiltrating the British Secret Service, they plan to ambush the evil Merchant. Must they go rogue to stay together, overcome secrets of the past? Plus preview.
Published November 2014 by Berkley Sensation Penguin Random House

To ask other readers questions about Rogue Spy, please sign up.
Joanna Bourne Thanks so much for the kind words. I do hope you enjoy the other books. We get some very minor appearances of Pax in those books, most especially in B…moreThanks so much for the kind words. I do hope you enjoy the other books. We get some very minor appearances of Pax in those books, most especially in Black Hawk.

(less)

Start your review of Rogue Spy (Spymasters #5)
Holly

I've read two books by this author, one I really liked probably because it was my first ever historical romance/spy book (The Spymaster's Lady) and one that I really didn't care for (My Lord and Spymaster). This book fell somewhere in the middle between those two. When the two main characters first meet, it's definitely interesting. However the main spy mission ends up not being as exciting and the romance never builds upon a real relationship, just their shared background and mutual at
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This is my first book by Joanna Bourne, and I'm glad I've been collecting her books in my tbr pile. She's an excellent writer, with that rich voice I love so much in historical romance. Her characters are complex and the romance drew me in and had me holding my breath. I loved Pax! Cami was a singular heroine, lethal in her own right. This is also an excellent spy novel (I love genuine spy stories).

Definitely recommended!

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine. http:
Bubu
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ocd, hr, 3-stars, read-2018
Massive spoilers ahead

Buddy read with the lovely Lyuda. Thanks for the b-r and for your patience!

So, yesterday I finished Paxton’s book Rogue Spy and wondered whether it would be a good idea to write a review straight away. Here’s the thing. all that went through my head was:

I do not want to give Paxton’s book three stars.

I, then, went quickly through the ratings of my GR friends, and I can
Caz
Is anyone surprised when I say I've given this an A at AAR? Thought not.

To say I’ve been eagerly awaiting the release of Rogue Spy is an understatement of immense proportions. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed each of the books in Ms. Bourne’s Spymasters series, and given the revelations about Pax made in The Black Hawk I’ve been on the edge of my seat waiting for his story. Naturally, my expectations were very high – and I’m delighted to be able to say that Ms. Bourne does not disappoint, because thi
Lyuda
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Buddy-read with the brilliant Bubu whose review said it all.

I really have nothing else to add except, if you are like me and read the previous story The Black Hawk long time ago, it would be better to reread it before starting this one. Although, be warn - there is going to be inevitable comparison between Hawk and the hero of this story, Paxton, and it will not be in favor of Paxton.

Bourne's prose is masterful as always and the spy arc is quite engaging.

If only the second half of the book was
Jan
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. The second half was a lot better than the first half of this book IMO. It took a long time to come to the boil. 3 stars for the first half, 4 stars for the second half.

I'm reading this series in chronological order rather than the order in which the books were written. Not sure whether that's the best way to go about it? But anyway, I've started like that so I'll keep going. So, this is the third one I've read.

I tried this book once before, about a month ago, but put it down after it
Mandi Schreiner
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Before I being gushing, and oh yes there will be gushing, let me note that while this book can be read as a stand alone, I highly recommend reading The Forbidden Rose and The Black Hawk first. Not only for the world and events, but to build up these characters. Joanna Bourne writes the absolute best characters (the gushing has begun!). All three of these books are just fantastic and the wait for a new book literally pains me.

For those that have read the previous books, we found out Thomas Paxton
Jacob Proffitt
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, steamy, romance
This is part of an ongoing series and I definitely recommend reading at least some of the others first. Personally, I'm going by internal chronological order and that's working out very fine for me. At any rate, many of the surrounding characters are established in other stories and I think there's definite benefit in knowing them before this one starts.

I'm going to lean on the others to keep this review shorter than I might otherwise do. It's like the others in all the right ways—i.e. completel
OLT
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of romance that rivals the best popular mainstream fiction in complexity of plot and characters and in writing. I feel like a big girl when I read Joanna Bourne. She gets my brain engaged in addition to the usual heart engagement of most other romances. This is due mostly to her exceptional ability as a writer but also, I suspect, because she doesn't crank out novels at the speed of sound, unlike many other romance authors who shall be nameless.

So far (up to year 2014) there hav
Jeannie Lin
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are few tropes in romance I love more than a hero and heroine who are capable of killing each other (am I weird like that?) and Rogue Spy pushed ALL the right buttons for me.

*happy sigh*

I have been stalking the release date for this book for what feels like almost two years and so you can imagine the crazy amount of anticipation I had for it. As I read through the first chapters, I was riveted. The Black Hawk, Adrian's story, ranks as one of my favorite historical romances of all time and
Caz
I've given this a B+ for narration and A for content at AudioGals.

A new book from Joanna Bourne is a Special Event on my calendar. Rogue Spy was one of my most highly anticipated new titles of last year; I’d been desperate for Pax’s story ever since listening to The Black Hawk, and I’m delighted to say that it’s every bit as good as I’d hoped

Thomas Paxton has been a regular secondary character in the other books in this series – serious, unostentatious and deadly – forming, as Ms Bourne points
Mariana
The writing in the Spymasters series is unique. When I began with book 1, I found it refreshing and different. However, now it just seems the same. I poured through the first four books pretty quickly, but I had to set this one aside for months before I could continue. I know I will have to take another lengthy break before I finish the final installment.

I love a well-written virgin hero, so this should have been my favorite. I guess I am just a bit tired of the lies, the acting, the duplicity,
Lupinus Texensis
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
This one was fine...but Joanna Bourne can do better. She did do so much better, like, one book ago! Cami just seems...slapped together, and her backstory is too convenient to fit well into the tone and mood of this series. It was fine, but it wasn't nearly as captivating as the others. Also, the cover art is a TERRIBLE representation of the hero, and that's on the publisher. BOO PUBLISHER.
Piper
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
It took me a month to read this due to various RL interruptions. I enjoyed it regardless however. I loved Pax and have but one complaint. The ending was much too abrupt and was sorely in need of an epilogue. Now on to the final book in the series.
Ashley
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The writing was beautiful, of course, but the story and characters just never clicked for me. I liked Pax, the hero, in this book and books prior, but I never feel like I connected with him or Cami, the heroine. For the first time I saw where friends who have read Bourne's stuff might be coming from when they say her stories leave them cold. Bourne's prose is so masterful, however, that I'd still take a mediocre story like this over most others.

You know what the highlight of this book was for me
Brandy Painter
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it

I really loved this. I do enjoy how this series is non-linear. This needed to come after Adrian's book even though it covers stuff that happened earlier than the main action in The Black Hawk. I do think you need to read that before you read this. I adored both Pax and Cami. I liked that they were childhood friends (co-survivors?) but still had to do the work of getting to know each other again. The addition of an Italian criminal family into the mix of spies was also a delight.

It was f
Stella Riley
Nov 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have loved this entire series and have read all the previous books twice. Rogue Spy was no disappointment and, though I grew very fond of Pax, I remain devoted to Adrian - who is quite the best male character I've come across in a very long time. Bourne writes her men extremely well. All of them are very clearly defined and the dialogue is good. Her leading ladies, however, are all cast in a similar mould - deadly French spies, most of them. But what really gives these books an edge is the att ...more
Dawn-a very sensitive romance reader

Hmm. I am going to be the oddball on this review. Perhaps it is because I haven't read the other books in the series, but I just don't get all the hype about this book.

The good:

I love both the hero and the heroine. They are both strong, intelligent characters. The heroine I feel was a little flat in comparison to the hero who was clearly the authors favorite IMHO.

I also liked Hawker. He was quite lovable, in fact he seemed more "real" than any of the other characters in the book.

The antagonist "
Fedora
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the distinct privilege of reading an ARC of Rogue Spy.

Ms. Joanna Bourne does it AGAIN. Let me start by saying that I have loved every one of the books in the Spymasters series. Each has more than earned its place on my keeper shelf and I have reread them all many times.

Rogue Spy is a spectacular addition to the series. It was an engrossing, layered, wonderful read that I know I will pick up again and again. Each of Ms. Bourne's stories seems that way to me--they are like a delicious desser
Carole P. Roman
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Joanna Bourne does not write typical romance books. She captures the flavor of an age, the essence of danger, then lures you into a twisty, winding road of a tale, that captures all of your interest and refuses to let you go. Thomas Paxton and Camille Leyland are survivors of the revolution, trained as children to the infamous Cache, a secret school for children to be trained in the art of subterfuge and espionage. A chance meeting brings this combustible pair together where they must set aside ...more
Beth
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
August 2018: Is this the book where Pax proves his loyalty? Or is it in The Black Hawk, when (view spoiler)

Anyway: love, love, love. No idea why I gave this four stars before. Maybe because it doesn’t quite reach the heights of The Black Hawk? It’s close, though. Really close. Reading the t
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
Really, look no further if regency spy romance is your thing (and even if it's not), this series might just be the best at doing it. Would have liked a few more romantic scenes between Pax and Cami but the story and interweaving of story arcs and characters from previous books in the series was amazing. I also find myself needing to go re-read The Black Hawk to spend more time with Hawker :)
Maria Rose
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At long last I have finished this as an audiobook! ( I only get 2-3 hrs max time a week). loved the story and the narration - review to come!
D
PREPUBLICATION MUSINGS: joanna bourne is one of the greats; her writing is simply fantastic, which means that this book has become a must-read for me. she's a phenomenal entre'e to the genre for any interested reader.

*** Review ***

one of the weaker of the Meeks Street tales. joanna bourne's prose is really good, but these characters seemed a little like watered-down versions of other, better, more compelling, characters she's already given us. also, the pacing on this seemed off -- lots of flowe
steph
August 2017: This book was still great. I love Cami and Pax and all the characters in this little universe. So good. Also Grey FINALLY showed up in here (view spoiler). I have missed him in the last few books so I was thrilled he re-appeared at Meeks Street.

January 2015: This book was probably 4.5 stars but I'm rounding it up just because everytime I read a Joanne Bourne book I am blown away by h
Jess
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Joanna Bourne just works for me. Works for me on all the levels.

AND THIS WAS THE CULMINATION OF ALL THE BOOKS.

Now. Sevie next? Please?
Aly is so frigging bored
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Ms Bourne writes great books, she really does.
Tin
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Disclosure: I received this review copy via Netgalley. Thank you to Joanna Bourne and Berkley for the opportunity. Yes, this is an honest review.

* * *

What to expect when you read Rogue Spy by Joanna Bourne:

1. Expect an unconventional love story told through an unconventional plot structure.

What is amazing about Joanna Bourne is how well she mixes the spy/intrigue element with the romance element in her stories. In Rogue Spy, the first 7 chapters has Pax pursuing Cami. There's very little intera
An Odd1
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
"Do not have a good escape plan. Have three" p 261, ch 44.
"Do not drink deeply at the table of your enemies" p 175, ch 28 precedes dinner where Pax meets her family. Every chapter starts with "A Baldoni saying", pithy, wry, that Cami can attribute to her ancient Venetian heritage.

"Some day, .. her life could become no more dangerous and complicated. She hadn't arrived there yet, apparently" p 203. I like this series. More than romance. Thriller. Espionage. Danger. Death. Fun. Clever.

Thomas Pax
Mmeguillotine
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 - Joanna Bourne is an exceptional writer, one of my favorites in the romance genre, by far. Her writing style is filled with wit and intelligence that keeps me riveted, from start to finish of each and every one of her Spymaster series. I was fortunate to win an advance copy of Rogue Spy from Ms.Bourne from a blog giveaway. What a privilege to read this lovely book early.

More subdued, maybe, than the previous books in this series, Bourne used a lighter hand when drawing Pax and Cami than I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
VIRGIN HEROES 1 2 Nov 19, 2017 09:11AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 13, 2015 05:04PM

• A Duke to Remember (Season for Scandal, #2)
  • True Pretenses (Lively St. Lemeston Book 2)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • Never Deceive a Viscount (Infamous Lords, #2)
  • The Proposition
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • Listen to the Moon (Lively St. Lemeston, #3)
  • Silk Is for Seduction (The Dressmakers, #1)
  • Tempting the Bride (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #3)
  • The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)
  • When the Duke Returns (Desperate Duchesses, #4)
  • This Duchess of Mine (Desperate Duchesses, #5)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • Lady Derring Takes a Lover (The Palace of Rogues #1)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • An Affair Before Christmas (Desperate Duchesses, #2)
  • Your Wicked Heart (Rules for the Reckless, #0.5)
Joanna lives in the foothills of the Blue Ridge with her family, a medium-sized mutt and a faux Himalayan cat.

She writes Historical Romances set in England and France during the Napoleonic Wars. She's fascinated by that time and place - such passionate conviction and burning idealism ... and really sexy clothes.

Spymasters (6 books)
  • The Spymaster's Lady (Spymasters, #1)
  • My Lord and Spymaster (Spymasters, #2)
  • The Forbidden Rose (Spymasters, #3)
  • The Black Hawk (Spymasters, #4)
  • Beauty Like the Night (Spymasters, #6)