Start by marking “24-Hour Party People” as Want to Read:
24-Hour Party People

24-Hour Party People

''The musicians own everything. The company owns nothing. All our bands have the freedom to f**k off''

Written in blood, The Factory non-contract set out the manifesto for one of the most influential and progressive record labels of our time...

Manchester, 1976: Anthony Wilson, Granada TV presenter, is at an early Sex Pistols gig. Inspired by this pivotal moment in music his
Published March 8th 2002 by Pan MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about 24-Hour Party People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 24-Hour Party People

Start your review of 24-Hour Party People
Jordan Rizzieri
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’ve only ever seen the film, you should read more.
Rob
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Cheekily dismissed by its author as merely the novelization of "a fine movie screenplay," 24-Hour Party People is of course much more than that. If the movie of the same name depicts the life of Factory Records impresario Tony Wilson on the big screen, then Wilson's own account of that same time period is even more valuable. It's a funny, vexing, warts-and-all retelling of (roughly) the years 1977-1993, when Wilson brought us a boatload of great music, but most importantly Joy Division, New Orde ...more
Airin
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
For those who have watched 24 Hour Party People, as in the film of the same name, 80% of this book will sound familiar to the point of repetition. In other words, this book is more or less a direct novelization of the based-on-a-true-story film about Factory Records, only written by the man the film was about. Confusing? Sort of, especially if you stop to think about the boundaries between fact and fiction too much. I suppose 24 Hour Party People is one of those books where you're not necessaril ...more
Shaun
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anglais, music
Tony Wilson's "24 Hour Party People" is probably the greatest novelisation of all time precisely because what could have been nothing more than a half-arsed cash-in on the Tony Wilson biopic cum post-modern comedy/drama film about Factory Records, Joy Division/New Order, the Happy Mondays - is a post-modern novelisation/chatty memoirs/rock history book written by the man in question - full to the brim with wit and just sheer cultural...no, I can't use energy. It wouldn't be proper. Pride, perhap ...more
Spiros
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Mancs, and those with a bit of Manchester in them
Okay, it's official, I'll cop to it. I am one massive dork. I came across this on my vacation, and didn't even blink at the $21.95 pricetag, so much have I bought into 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE. This is the first novelization of a screenplay I have read since the STAR WARS (if you're not familair with the movie, it doesn't matter, but you should probably see more movies) novelization, when I was 12.
It must be said that this is a novelization with a difference; more accurately, this is Tony Wilson's a
Elliot Chalom
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’ve read quite a few books about or around the Madchester scene and none were quite like this one. Tony Wilson writes in a way that I’ve never read before, sort of a mix of first and third person, in the action but also removed, an observer and yet the key participant. I couldn’t always follow where we was going but I definitely enjoyed the ride. Not the book to read if you’re looking for the definitive account of what happened over that decade and a half in Manchester, but not a book to be mis ...more
Allison Thurman
Mar 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-loan
History, sorta - Tony Wilson famously exaggerated. If you have an interest in late 70s/early 80s post-punk or 1990s Madchester, this is the book to read for it's pseudohistory
Dandy Laing
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this short, sharp and punchy tale of Factory Records, Tony Wilson and co., and the Manchester music scene of the late 20th Century.
Zoonie
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Caveates: I worked behind the bar at The Boardwalk from 1990-92, and put on gigs at Manchester Poly, got to know some of the minor characters in this book, partially because to me, Tony Wilson was royalty. I haven't seen the film in a long time, and to describe this as a novelisation of the film is typical Wilson level nonsense. It's basically a memoir of this intensely brilliant, utterly ridiculous time, powered by the egos of these nutters. It breaks my heart that Tony Wilson exited early, and ...more
Paul Hunter
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really looked forward to this book - on offer at Rough Trade Nottingham so couldn’t refuse. Brought back plenty of memories from when I was at University and the music described was the soundtrack of my late teens / early twenties.
Made me regret never actually getting to the Hacienda, but more than that the book made me realise how mind-numbingly safe and predictable my jobs have been compared to everyone described in this.
Not the easiest style of writing to get used to, but 30 pages in I fell i
Christopher Munroe
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know that this is my favourite book about the rise and fall of Factory Records and the Hacienda (that would be Peter Hook's book) or even if you really get much out of this that you wouldn't from watching the movie of the same name, but it's still a fun go-round on an interesting period of music history, and if you want the story told from the POV of the man behind both the label and the club, this makes for a fun read, if a lightweight one.
Keith Astbury
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wilson was a one-off. No need to go into detail why - you either know or you don't.

This was a fun, frivolous account of his record label years (and how they came about), but I would have loved to have read a proper autobiography of his life rather than a novelisation, fictionalised version or whatever of this period and subject. Sadly he's not round to write it now but there's still enough to enjoy here. It just could have been more.
Sean Hackbarth
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
This is a breezy, fun look at the U.K. music scene, not in London but in Manchester. It's the stereotypical sex, drugs, and rock and roll story with a healthy dose of local pride and a fearless attitude. Out of this brew music fans got Joy Division, New Order, Happy Mondays, and other path-breaking sounds that much of our pop music is based on today.
Joe Decie
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Brilliant story. But I preferred the film and as I'd seen the film first, I couldn't help reading it in Steve Coogan's voice. It was written in the third person, which I found odd.

Still, really good. Manchester's excellent.
Julia Edgar
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s not the greatest prose. But Tony Wilson was responsible for Joy Division, New Order, the Happy Mondays and the Haçienda so I am absolutely willing to say this is one of the greatest stories of all time.
Jonny Brick
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maverick record label boss, brilliantly portrayed by Steve Coogan in biopic, who changed British music and put Manchester back on the musical map. Tales of Happy Mondays (hilarious), Joy Divison/New Order (less hilarious) and the Hacienda (drugs, guns, more drugs) weave in an out of this memoir which is absolutely essential.
joe
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
good accompaniment to the film (which i already really liked).

lots of quotes and facts are used in the film verbatim so there isn't loads of new information in the book, but there is enough additional stuff to keep it interesting even if you have seen the film recently.

Elizabeth Judd Taylor
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, music-geek
Maybe a 3.5. What I found was that when I was in the right mood I really liked it, but when I wasn't I simply found it a bit annoying and ignored it until the right mood struck. There you go.
AJ1978
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A fun read and gives a good insight into Madchester but it’s written in a style I struggled with at first before i “got it” towards the end. Some characters in there for sure!
pan ellington
took issue with wilson's citation of new order/depeche mode as the seed of house music*. other than that, a delightful read, a wonderful blending of reality & fiction.

*that was disco.
Samantha Jennings
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great read.
George
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book of the film. Not only does Tony Wilson break the fourth wall, he leans over your shoulder & sits you at the typewriter.
A classic case of publish the leg and not the truth. Great fun.
Joshua Allison
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-addiction, mu51c
Since I read online about most of the things that happened, I couldn't exactly tell what was true and what was not, although I do know truthfully, this was a good read. Another must read for fans of east underground, Joy Division, and New Order
Jonathan Mccombie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
witty insights into an interesting musical experiment.
Andrea Janov
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
So confused as to what is real. What is made up. And what lives in between.
Mancman
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, fiction, 2016
A sparkling read from a man often dubbed Mr Manchester. Up front we are told this is a fictionalised account of the whole saga of Factory records, and the book delivers in spades.

I'm sure most readers will be vaguely familiar with the general story here, but there are little insights along the way which give greater depth and flavour to the narrative.

It was a personal journey through my younger days: I spent many great nights at the Hacienda, although I didn't make it through the gang violence p
Brian SIdlo
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manchester, music
You may have seen and enjoyed the great film 24 Hour Party People, about Tony Wilson, Factory Records and the Manchester music scene - Joy Division, New Order, The Happy Mondays. This is a novelisation of the film, written by Tony Wilson - which means he's written this based on a screenplay written by others about his own life story.
That may not sound promising, but Wilson proves to be a talented and erudite writer. Rather than a straight rewriting of the film, he often digresses into recounting
Peter O'Connor
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I am still trying to get my head around the whole 'adaptation of a film of a biography of the author' thing but, as the tale of those Manchester decades is so intriguing, it still makes for a great read. As an Australian, Tony Wilson never had the power to polarise in this country the way that he seemingly did in Blighty so I had the opportunity to read it without the pre conceived notion that he is a wanker which seems to be the most popular notion. For mine, it is hard to see him as anything l ...more
Steve Mitchell
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
If you can get past the writing style – 66 chapters in 250 pages – then this is actually an enjoyable and informative read. As a novelisation of the film of the same name this is a work that is fictionalised but based on true events of Factory Records and the Hacienda Club, so if you want an exhaustive history you should probably read more.

• The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club
  • Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd
  • Margrave of the Marshes
  • Morrissey & Marr: The Severed Alliance
  • The Dunwich Horror and Others
  • Motiv X (Fabian Risk, #4)
  • Girl in a Band