Start by marking “Gives Light (Gives Light, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gives Light (Gives Light, #1)

Gives Light

(Gives Light #1)

"Skylar is my name, tragically."

Sixteen-year-old Skylar is witty, empathetic, sensitive--and mute. Skylar hasn't uttered a single word since his mother died eleven years ago, a senseless tragedy he's grateful he doesn't have to talk about.

When Skylar's father mysteriously vanishes one summer afternoon, Skylar is placed in the temporary custody of his only remaining relativ
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 285 pages
Published July 10th 2012 by Rose Christo

To ask other readers questions about Gives Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gives Light

Julio Genao
Jun 06, 2013 added it
Shelves: dnf
young boys: a Him and Her review special.

description

HIM:
so, this book is making me crazy
sporadically possessed of loveliness but
fucking YA, dude
what is seriously wrong with fucking YA

I dunno

i just don’t understand

The only YA I read is non romance

HIM:
people write them as if boys have no idea what their penis is for until they fall in love
like they all go ‘i have funny feelings in my tummy’ and then go play monopoly

They are INNOCENT

hahahaha

Hahahaha

we are going to h
Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing

***FIVE SOUNDLESS AND SMILING STARS***

I finished this book yesterday and I still can’t stop thinking about it. This book just stole my heart and imprinted it with a permanent marker.

‘Gives Light’ is a book about love. Not just about falling in love with someone, but about love in general. Sometimes I am tired about reading those conventional and repetitive love stories, sometimes I want something else. Sometimes I just want to read the story of a kid with a huge capacity to love his family an
Baba
5 beautiful stars.*****Review completed August 22, 2013

photo 003ce28b-93ab-4ae1-97fd-c407e5656db4_zpsc0cd38b7.jpg

Gives Light is a heart-warming, emotional and beautiful story that depicts a young and pure love between two Native American teenagers who physically differ yet at their hearts they are so much alike. Besides, it’s also a journey of coming to terms with who and what you are--accepting there is nothing wrong with you. Our main protagonists are Skylar the mute, calm and very mellow sixteen-year-old boy who meets the same-aged Rafael on the Net
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**Currently FREE on Amazon! Go snag your copy! 8/19/14 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JYCVW4?i...**

This book was so beautiful.

"Gives Light" is about a 16 year old mute boy (Skyler) who is forced to live with his grandmother on an Indian reservation after his father abandons him. His mother was tragically murdered (years prior) and murderer slit Skyler's throat when he walked in on the crime. Skyler slowly makes friends on the reservation but finds himself most drawn to a boy, Rafeal, who seems st
Trisha Harrington
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Trisha by: Bookwatcher
Gives light is my all-time favourite YA series. I don’t believe I will ever find a YA series that will touch me as much as this series did. The first book is beautiful, mysterious, and captivating. I never believed I could fall for a book as hard as I did this. But the truth is, I don’t know many people who wouldn’t love this book, whether you are a fan of m/m or not, this is just one of those books that people must read, in my opinion. It’s always going to be on my favourites list.

From the firs
Thomas
I have so many feelings about this book.

To summarize my emotional experience with Gives Light, I want to post a picture of me clutching my chest while lying on the bathroom floor in fetal position. Instead, I will try to dissect why I love this fabulous novel by Rose Christo.

Feeling #1: Appreciation. Gives Light screams of diversity. The protagonist, Skylar, is a half-white, half-Shoshone sixteen-year-old who cannot speak and has feelings for a boy. Diversity has come up a lot in recent conversa
Susan
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-favorites

M/M Bingo
Round 8 - Week 4
"Best Gay Friends Become Lovers"

********************

Some people will read this book and think, “What the heck is all the fuss about?”. Others will read this book and think, “This is glorious.” I’m not quite sure what impacts one differently from the other. I can’t explain the why’s of one being bored and another being mesmerized by this book. I can only say, for me, I was entranced.

“Gives Light”…from page 1, I knew I was going to be swept up into the author’s
Kat
Only a few weeks ago, Susan got dragged into a kinky BDSM-y buddy read with us. Little did I know that Susan may not be a fan of BDSM, she surely has a neat little sadistic streak. According to her, revenge apparently is a dish best served in the form of sexless YA.

Vengeance at its finest!

Not only don’t I like YA anymore, I’m shallow. I want my gay sex cake and eat it too. But I suppose that one who forces kinky books upon others must gracefully accept the consequences... So looking at those bur
Shelley
4.5 Stars

I know that ‘Gives Light’ doesn’t need another glowing review but how can I not when its effect on me is the same. I had NO IDEA the things I would learn and the effect it would all have on me. So this review is about all the things I didn’t know … but now I do :)

I didn’t know that the Moon and the Sun used to be married before they quarrelled and parted ways.

I didn’t know what it felt like to lay on my back by the creek and stare at the stars till my eyes went blurry.

I didn’t know th
Virginia Cavanillas
A stunning and evocative prose telling a special and beautiful story. The narration is so good you are transported there from the very first page. You can feel Skylar, you can see what he sees, you are able to love him, feel sorry for him, empathize and almost touch him. It also has a very subtle humor coloring some of Sky’s thoughts and that transmitted me even more tenderness, lighting up the the perception of sadness that Skylar’s life inspires.

And oh, Skylar! What a strong voice he owns. He
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
How could the story of a boy named Skylar and another's whose last name is Gives Light not be amazing?

As an European, my knowledge of Native Americans is limited. I know the basics, but I'm sure they teach much more in American schools.

This book amazed me. I learned many things I don't know. The writing is so flawless and the author does a great job in describing the Native characters, their surrounding environment and their wonderful stories.

Skylar is a 16 yo boy, whose life has been cruel, le
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, silence

Just because we don’t talk about the hole in our heart doesn’t mean it’s not there.

Skylar St. Clair, a 16 year old mute boy, tells this heartfelt tale and introduced me to a beautiful world. After Skylar’s Dad disappears without word one, Skylar is forced to return to a place that wields such power and pain over his childhood memories. Nettlebush, the Plains Shoshone Reservation, where his mother was taken from him. The place where his voice was taken from him. But the Reserve community and lif
Bev
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone that loves a feelgood story
Recommended to Bev by: Trisha Harrington

I have no idea how to describe my feelings once I'd finished this story, it was absolutely beautiful, and I'm so glad Trish recommended it to me and Rosa made me boot it up the queue. It was perfect, completely captivating, any and all superlatives you care to use, this wonderful, wonderful book deserves them....it was a privilege for me to read it. 5 stars on here, but worth millions AND 5 GLITTERING GOLDEN STARS  photo 5stars2_zps708f8dde.jpg

This is the amazing story of Skylar and Rafael, and yes, you did read my shelves
Karla
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.25 stars!

I’ve been going through the biggest M/M book slump ever! So I was beyond happy having found this book randomly on GR. I enjoyed this book so much. I literally had zero expectations especially since I’ve never read this author.

“Gives Light” slowly sneaked up on me an emotional and poignant story. The MC Skyler and Rafael share a tragedy but instead of making them hate each other it surprisingly brings them together. Their relationship was so tender as only first love can be. Their fir
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
5 Breathtaking Stars

SKYLAR

RAFAEL

I just knew from the very beginning that this book was going to steal my heart, I didn't realize how much.

The hero of our story is 16 year old Skylar St Clair, half white/half Native American. (view spoiler)

Skylar lives with his father, one day his father fails to return home. Skylar is then forced to live
Kelly
***5 Beautiful Stars***

This book...OMG, this book! It's one of the most beautiful, heartwarming, inspiring stories I've ever read. Since my reviewing skills are limited I'll just leave you with one of my favorite quotes and urge you to read this book. Hopefully you'll love it as much as I did.

Mandy*reads obsessively*
lucky girl that I am, I WON this series!

Thanks to the lovely ladies at : http://boysinourbooks.com

4.25*
Oh wow.
This book has popped up in my feed numerous times and each time I think..I need to read this.
Then I entered a giveaway and won the whole series, and boy am I glad I did. Otherwise I'm not sure how long I would have waited to read it.

Skylar is such a wonderful boy, really what a giving and open heart. He really did have every reason to carry anger. At the unfairness of his life from a
Fiona Goodman
I loved this book! My favorite of the year. Native American culture comes alive and delivers a wonderful sense of place. Not only a love story, but a story of family, friendship, revenge and forgiveness. Sometimes a book transcends it's genre with wonderful results. This is that book.

Gives light is a trilogy and I have started the next book Looks Over. So far it is delivering the promise of the first.

Update:

Just found out there is a fourth book released 3 days ago

Bookwatcher
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Fiona Goodman
no voice, but certainly he has a lot to say.... That's the better line I can find to describe the main character of this story, Skylar

Blurb
Sixteen old boy, alone and voiceless. How you feel if you where him, Skylar? The book begin with this only man, abandoned by his father and took to his grandmother house.
Sky is not just a teenager. A surviver from a brutal crime, that left him with useless vocal cords, and a dead mother, he is also a Native American by blood, his father is Shoshone. His sto
LenaRibka
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to LenaRibka by: Trisha Harrington

If I have to describe this book just in a few words I'd chose

beautiful

quiet

warm

poignant

and sweet.

It's a YA book but it is one of those books I'd recommended even as a family reading in front of a fireplace, yes, for a whole family, because there is so much heart and soul in this book; there is nothing forbidden dark or melodramatic here; there are no any sexual excesses in it.

The heart-warming book tells in a very poetical way the story of of Skylar, a half white/half Native American 16 years o
Ilhem
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, sid-love

This story is about Skylar Saint Clair whose laughs are soundless and who speaks with his smiles, who’s cheeky and open-hearted; about Rafael Gives Light, whose father ”liked hurting women”, who draws gifts for the dead, who’s fierce and protective, and can read Skylar’s face. It’s about them gaining something beautiful and positive out of something ugly and terrifying.

”[…] Rafael pushed me up against the wall and kissed me, hard and wanting and fierce, filled to the brim with emotions that spi
Sheri
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The song of this story is gorgeous.
It flows beyond the pages and touches you; leaving you forever changed.
My heart is full...my heart is happy...my heart now contains pieces of Skylar and his world.
I believe a Native American proverb pulls my thoughts together nicely….
“There is a battle of two wolves inside us all.
One is evil.
It is anger, jealously, greed, resentment, lies, inferiority and ego.
The other is good.
It is joy, peace, love, hope, humility, kindness, empathy and truth.
The wolf t
Jenni
Maybe it’s a weird thing to say in a review about a book I chose to read, but here goes. I feel grateful for having experienced Gives Light. This book was one of the most unassuming, comforting novels I've read in quite a long time. It’s one of those books that sits quietly, patiently on your shelf, and once you've read the last page, you wonder how in the world you waited so long to start.

If you asked me to describe it in just one word, out of ALL the words, I could tell you instantly, and wit
Ami
This has been a Boys in Our Books Group Challenge.

For complete group review: Please Click Here

------

"I couldn't possibly put into words what that meant to me. Nor had I realized until that moment how much of a group project it was to grow up. Each of us is just an imprint of the many people who have crossed paths with us over the years, some more times than others. Most of us never think to say thank you. I know I never had."

Rose Christo's "Gives Light" is like calm water. There is
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
How exactly am I supposed to review this book? To be honest, I have no freaking idea. It was a phenomenal story. Not exactly something I was expecting (because really, how much stuff can a mute 16 year old get into?) but I fell in love with the story, its characters and their troubles. I even cried once... Okay, maybe it was twice.

Even though Skylar can't talk, he's still a rather chatty boy inside his head. I found that very amusing. He had a sarcastic or funny thought about almost everything w
ttg
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gives Light is a like a long walk in the woods. It’s not an overly tense, angsty, or action-packed book. It’s a quiet, thoughtful, and meaningful coming-of-age story with a sweet YA-level romance between two teens, the son of a murder victim and the son of the murderer.

The story is told by sixteen-year old Skylar, whose throat was cut when he was five by the same man who killed his mother. Skylar survived, but lost his voice. After the attack, his father packed him up and they left the Shoshone
Alona
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: part-of-a-series, m-m
What a beautiful story!!

I read this book with a friend, we took our time to slowly enjoy it and talk about it.
It's just what this book deserves, a special attention!

Skyler is such a sweet 16 year old boy. He is mute, after his mother's murderer failed to do the same to him.
After 11 years away from the reservation he was born at, he is back, living with his grandmother.
He is quick to make friends, one of those friends is his mother's murderer's son, Rafael.
The broody Rafael is the opposite from t
Sara

I was very unsure about reading this book. I mean, I wanted to and it had been on my TBR list for some time but I am hesitant when books contain actual history in them. I am afraid that it will be too much to take or that it will be so technical that it will go over my head at the speed of sound and I will miss the point entirely. Thank goodness, Gives Light and Rose Christo did NOT do that to me.

So this book, I am at a loss of words with how to describe it. I am not being cheeky with
Nina
Here's one thing that's going to tell you a lot about this book and the effect it has on people: writing a very positive review about it instead of full-on gushing is going to make me the odd one out, the meanie and the heartless critic.
So be it - I feel it is my duty to the people of GR to point out all I found was wrong with this book. But don't worry, there isn't that much stuff to criticise. (Or: there is, but it doesn't weigh in on my final opinion that much, strangely.)

Due to the aforement
Mandapanda
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story of Skylar, a 16 year old boy sent back to an Indian Reservation to live with his grandmother after his father disappears. He falls in love with the boy whose father murdered Skylar's mother.

I couldn't put this book down from the first line. It's intense and beautiful at the same time. I was just as enthralled with the mystery plot and the lives of the people on the reservation, as I was with the slow growing romance between Sky and Rafael Gives Light.

I'm not usually a fan of YA bu
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
YA LGBT Books: Gives Light by Rose Christo 84 98 Aug 29, 2016 07:14AM
A Million More Pages: 1 - Gives Light (Gives Light): Apr 15 34 23 May 03, 2015 02:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: Gives Light Series new book covers 12 37 Jul 07, 2014 09:52PM
YA LGBT Books: May 2013 BotM - Gives Light *Spoilers* 24 124 Jul 07, 2014 09:26AM

• Silent
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Every Time I Think of You
  • Suicide Watch
  • Memorizing You
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • East
  • Split (Nick & Derek, #1)
  • Not Broken, Just Bent
  • Kieran & Drew
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • Bodies in Space
  • Shawn's Voice
  • Imaginary
  • How to Repair a Mechanical Heart (Mechanical Hearts, #1)
  • Glitter
  • Know Not Why
  • Crush (The House on Glass Beach #1)

Gives Light (7 books)
  • Looks Over (Gives Light, #2)
  • St. Clair (Gives Light , #3)
  • Why the Star Stands Still (Gives Light, #4)
  • Lending Light (Gives Light #5)
  • Overlooked (Gives Light #6)
  • Clairaudience (Gives Light #7)
“He broke away from my mouth and trailed his lips down the front of my throat. I felt his lips close around my scars. He kissed away their ugliness. His lips parted in tingling butterfly kisses that drained the strength from my knees. I realized he was mouthing words against my skin.

Not words. Just one word.

Mine.”
72 likes
“He always knew what I would have liked to say, and with startling and increasing accuracy as we spent more time together. One time, for example, I was wondering exactly how he had lost that tooth at the back of his mouth when he saw my eyes on his waning grin and replied, "Ran into a fence when I was twelve." And then I wondered how the heck he could have missed the giant fence standing right in front of him and he said, "Shut up.” 27 likes