Start by marking “The Kitchen Shrink” as Want to Read:
The Kitchen Shrink

The Kitchen Shrink

Alternate Cover Edition for B004MMEA0I.

If your life is a mess, your house could probably use a makeover, too. Welcome to the behind-the-scenes world of reality TV in The Kitchen Shrink . . . an unexpected love story.

With tenderness, humor, drama, and the simplicity of real life, this original, endearing story reaches into the heart of friendship and relationships.

Unable
Kindle Edition, Alternate Cover Edition, 194 pages
Published February 6th 2011 by Just Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Kitchen Shrink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kitchen Shrink

Samantha March
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited when Dee DeTarsio asked me to review her second novel, The Kitchen Shrink, after I had such a fun read with her debut The Scent of Jade. I gladly dove in to this contemporary, laugh out loud novel about the evils of reality TV, the stress of Do It Yourself (DIY) projects, and the struggle of finding oneself after a divorce. And did I mention this was all going to be a on a reality show? The heroine, Lisby Shaw, gets suckered in to appearing on “The Kitchen Shrink,” a new reality sh ...more
Cindy Roesel
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review first appear on Miss Fifi Flowers's Blog Reading is Fashionable.

If your get up and go, has got up and gone, what could be better than a home makeover? I mean really, that could be just the pick-me-up for you or me or really anyone. Who wouldn't like to get their living space freshened up, especially for free? In Dee DeTarsio’s novel, THE KITCHEN SHRINK, the only catch is, you’ll have to get it done in front of a television audience.

Lisby is as quirky as her name. Her best friend, Da
Grace
This review originally appeared on Feeding My Book Addiction: http://feedingmybookaddiction.blogspo...

Sometimes, a woman just wants to curl up on the couch in some comfy clothes and read a fun book that will distract her from what's on her mind. Dee DeTarsio's The Kitchen Shrink is just the book for days like that.

DeTarsio's sophomore novel is a smart and hilarious exploration of what it means to be a middle aged divorcée trying to come to terms with and move on after her divorce while raising
Meredith Schorr
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

Lisby Shaw has left her “functioning alcoholic” husband; her two teenage children are too busy being teenagers to pay her much attention unless they have something to gain; and she has no career or hobbies to speak of. In a word, she is in a rut, but Daria, her single and spunky television producer best friend, is about to change all that when she arranges for Lisby to star in a television reality show "The Kitchen Shrink". The show is pitched as “Therapeutic Interior Design” and during
Jennifer Hummer
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dee DeTarsio told me all about the time she agreed to do a TV reality show called The Kitchen Shrink. This is what I thought the whole time I was reading her book. The thing is though, I've never met Dee and I'm pretty sure I've never talked to her on the phone unless she works at Verizon which I hope she doesn't because they spend a lot of time redirecting phone calls. Anyway. After every time that I remembered I didn't know Dee, my next thought was: Wow, her writing is good. She writes like sh ...more
Lisa
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading The Kitchen Shrink and The Scent of Jade now, I think I can conclude that Dee is a pretty over-the-top writer. And I like it :) I enjoyed this one a little more than The Scent of Jade, but they are totally different styles of books too so it's hard to compare - and why would one want to? This one is more funny, less action but equally entertaining. I'll leave it at that. I can't wait to read more books by this author and am glad I finally found a funny author to read!! Thanks Dee! ...more
Jo Broshar
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first book of Dee's that I read. What a Dee-light-full story. The characters were quirky and the language was sassy and I enjoyed every minute I spent reading it. This book gave me the incentive to go buy more of her books. She better get busy because I am reading another of hers right now and when that is done I will be craving more.
Doreena
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ha! This is my new FAVORITE book! It was amazing! It is such a hysterical, feel good read. The characters are so believable I found I was realting them to my friends! Don't worry, no names... At least not right now! Everyone should read this book! I am going to read it again and again and again. Thank you Miss DeTarsio! You are a wonderful writer!
Deb
I would probably give this 3.5 stars if I could--somewhere between liked and really liked. ;-) Light, fun and a quick read especially if you are a bit of a reality television junkie like me. A more complete review is coming on my blog.
Anja Mizner
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Would love a follow up :)
Karen
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED THIS BOOK!!! I laughed and cried as I read this book.
Denise Smith
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was funny. Now every time I flush a toilet with my foot I'll think of Lisby and laugh!
Janice
Feb 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good, fun, light read-a perfect book to read on a catamaran in the Caribbean!
Luna Raven
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Lisby Shaw is a mess: she waits on her kids hand & foot, complains about her life while doing nothing to fix it and makes weirdly poor decisions for someone so uptight.

When her best friend convinces her to go on a reality show to get a new kitchen, Lisby becomes even more of a mess because she is so busy judging she hasn't time for much else.

I like the writing and it was a quick read but I just could not like the main character. She is an obnoxious helicopter parent who grated on my nerves.
Dee DeTarsio
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I had so much fun writing this, I had to give myself FIVE stars, count 'em, FIVE. (Bless me Father for I have sinned...It has been about a million years since my last confession, but if you're keeping track, I did say 14 Hail Mary's after posting this--is that the going rate for being obnoxious?)
Sinead Murray
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
A bit different - got it free on kindle not sure I'd have paid for it - but light and enjoyable if a bit obvious where the story was going...
Samantha Bailey
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! Review to come soon!
Anita
Sep 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Didn't care for it. Just not my style
Holly Silvey
Very cute book. It was a break from books I was reading. I found myself wanting to see how things turned out.
Lisa
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Eh, not one of the best I've read, but not the worst. Okay for a free read.
Heidi
Not the greatest beginning. It didn't engage me. Then, the f word within the first chapter. Yep, done.
Lindsay Barnes
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Thank goodness this was free on my kindle. Totally unrealistic, and not in a fun way. Ending was lousy. Skip it.
Nicole
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, I didn't even finish reading it... I was bored with the story line, it was a little predictable and I lost interest in it.
Shilpa
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
What I really liked about Lisby was that no matter whomever she dated/flirted/fooled around with, her children were her her first priority. A nice, placid read.
Sherri
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Slightly amusing but predictable. Several grammatical errors, particularly tense changes, were distracting.
Terri
Sep 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Yawn----
Mary Beth
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Couldn't put it down until I was done!
maryellen k glyer
  • Miracle at the Museum of Broken Hearts
  • Match Me (Me, #1)
  • Death Is a Relative Thing
  • Love Unlisted
  • Finding Clarity: A Mom, A Dwarf and a Posh Private School in the People's Republic of Berkeley
  • The Wife Of Reilly
  • Lost Cargo
  • Work for Hire
  • Suburban Task Force
  • Meets Girl
  • Hearts Afire
  • Picture Perfect
  • Bon Voyage
DEE DeTARSIO is an award-winning writer living in southern California. After growing up in Ennui, Ohio, and graduating from The Ohio State University she vowed never to be cold again and ended up in Tucson, Arizona, producing the news for the CBS affiliate, oddly enough called KOLD-TV. She moved to San Diego where she worked in the SeaWorld entertainment department as a producer/writer. (Penguins ...more