Start by marking “Cloche and Dagger (Hat Shop Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cloche and Dagger (Hat Shop Mystery, #1)

Cloche and Dagger

(Hat Shop Mystery #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  2,914 Ratings  ·  409 Reviews
An all-new series from New York Times bestselling author Jenn McKinlay

Not only is Scarlett Parker’s love life in the loo—as her British cousin Vivian Tremont would say—it’s also gone viral with an embarrassing video. So when Viv suggests Scarlett leave Florida to lay low in London, she hops on the next plane across the pond. Viv is the proprietor of Mims’s Whims, a ladies’
Mass Market Paperback, 281 pages
Published August 6th 2013 by Berkley (first published July 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Cloche and Dagger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cloche and Dagger

James
4 stars to Jenn McKinlay's Cloche and Dagger, the first in the "Hat Shop Mystery" series. I'm fond of the author's other series (Library Lovers) and bought her first issues of all other series. The Hat Shop series has potential and I look forward to learning more as I travel through the remainder.

Story
After a disastrous relationship awkwardly made public, Scarlett takes up her cousin's offer and moves to London to help manage their jointly owned inheritance, a hat shop from their late grandmot
Tari
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun read, lots of suspense and I had no idea who the killer was. I like how Scarlett was half British and not just a newcomer to the UK. I'll be reading the rest of the series. I'm anxious to see if anything ever happens with Harrison and Scarlett and also the little suspicion she had at the end, not going to say what but it's a fun thought.
Jacob Proffitt
May 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
This crossed my status feed and with a title like that, how could I not at least take a look? Also, it's part of the Audible Romance subscription, though I'm not sure why (as it's clearly a mystery, possibly of the cozy variety). Unfortunately, I just couldn't engage with this.

Part of that may be the narrator who had an odd cadence with random word emphasis in each sentence. I found it distracting, though not really off-putting.

But I think I'd still bounce on this story even with a more-engaging
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
You got a hat shop, a mystery and what's to be another fun cozy series.

I think I'm having fun with these books. The setting is interesting, the characters are likable, and you want to keep reading wondering what will happen at the end of the mystery.

That and the writing style and pacing were really good. I hadn't realized I was already halfway into the book and lost track of time and just kept reading because I was liking the story and characters.

Anyway, this sounded pretty good, with hints of
❂ Jennifer
Aug 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Usually I save my 5 star ratings for cozies that are a joy to read *and* offer something a bit different - unique (or not often used) plot devices, a deeper level of writing, really creative twists or settings. Cloche and Dagger didn't really offer any of these pluses, but it was such an outstandingly fun read with such likeable characters, I couldn't possibly have given it anything less.

For me, Ms. McKinlay wasn't going to go wrong with a setting in Notting Hill, London. Consider that box ticke
Rane
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it

After a scandal rocks her life and makes her a viral sensation. Scarlett Parker's cousin Vivian Tremont decides in time she come and help run their grandmother's hat shop she left to both of them- Mim's Whims.
In London, Scarlett doesn't find the peace and quiet she's been craving, but a whole host of troubles from her cousin's sudden disappearance,delirious financial advisor Harrison Wentworth she doesn't know if she wants to kiss or choke and the sudden death of a customer with her only wear
Alyssa White
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I'm giving this book a 4 because it left me wanting to read the next book in the series because I'm very unsure about where the series is going. The characters are very interesting and the idea is different than what I'm use to. I'm curious to say the least.
Fred
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cloche and Dagger is the first book in the A Hat Shop Mystery series.

Another exciting series from one of my favorite authors. Even though the series will center around a millinery shop, the first book just covers the basics. Don't worry about getting bogged down by the detailed workings of the shop.

Scarlett Parker and her cousin Vivian Tremont are joint owners of a millinery shop given to them on the death of their grandmother. After an embarrassing breakup with what she thought was her soul-mat
Luffy
May 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Cloche and Dagger had a bland taste and passed through my system without any ill effects, but also without anything meaningful occurring. I knew midway through the book that it would score 1 star, but the mystery's solvency, plus the efforts of Scarlett to solve it were beneath contempt. This book is so, so, so shallow in its content and depth and texture and feel. It has no soul. Maybe I'm being flippant, because if I'd read this one after having attempted a voluminous Victorian novel, then ma ...more
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
Very fun first cozy! How does Jenn M. keep coming up with these great new series? She is awesome.
Linda
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Loved my first visit to Mim's Whim's and I will be a repeat shopper! A smart, fun book! I liked the characters and can't wait to see what happens next. This book was easy to read, fun and fast paced. Loved the London setting.
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Thought I'd try a cozy mystery. I love murder mysteries. I watch a ton of them on Netflix, especially the British ones so this one seemed just my cup of tea, so to speak. Feel free to give that a big eye roll, because that's exactly what I was doing through this whole book. What's good about a cozy: romance without explicit sex, minor if any bad language, and fairly gore-free murder. What's bad: they are dripping with cliches, predictability and bad jokes. I'm pretty sure I won't be continuing o ...more
Jonathan
Very good, I'll be looking for the next one.
Dolly
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of cozy mysteries
This is the first book in the Hat Shop Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay. I discovered it while browsing for audiobooks in my library's online catalog.

It's a fun, cozy mystery that includes colorful characters in a modern London setting. The mystery isn't overly complicated although I wasn't a big fan of the ending (view spoiler)

Overall, it has all the components de rigueur in the first boo
FangirlNation
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
In Cloche and Dagger by Jenn McKinlay, Scarlett needs to be able to move past a meltdown that turned into a YouTube sensation. This leads her cousin Vivian to order Scarlett to move from her home in Florida to England and help with the hat boutique that the two cousins inherited from their grandmother and which Viv manages. But when Scarlett arrives in London, she gets surprised not to find Viv waiting for her, but instead the handsome Harrison, the shop’s business manager, is there. Scarlett no ...more
Nicole
Nice beginning to a series and incredibly fast-paced! Kept me very interested, and I read it in almost one sitting (which is a rarity for me!). Scarlett Parker has moved to London to help her cousin, Vivian Tremont, run the hat shop left to them both by their late grandmother, affectionately known as "Mim". When Scarlett arrives (running from a BIG scandal in the States!!!), Viv is nowhere to be found, hunky Harrison meets her at the tube station, and one of the hat shop's most influential clien ...more
Dawn Michelle

WOW WOW WOW!!! I have not loved a "first book" cozy like this in a VERY long time. This was fabulous from beginning to end and I was as shocked as the characters at who the murderer was.
GREAT beginning to a new series; I cannot wait to read the next one!!!
Chrysta
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun cute cozy mystery! I loved the sassy character Scarlett and liked the potential love interest (possibly in future books) with Harrison/Harry. I hope to read more in this series soon!
Lesa Divine
5th book read during my 24 hour cozy mystery readathon.
Just okay. Scarlett goes to London to help her cousin run the hat shop their grandma left them. With a public break up she feels why not to get away from the states.
But once there her cousin is missing and a client of the shop is murdered and her cousin is a suspect.

Just okay going to read part 2 to see if I'll continue.
Nancy
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Scarlett Parker flees a scandal at home and runs to London, where she moves into the flat above a hat shop she co-owns with her cousin, Vivian. Surprised when their financial advisor, handsome Harrison Wentworth, meets her at the airport, she wonders where Viv has gone. Her cousin seems to have vanished.

Scarlett settles in and makes contact with their clients. She manages well enough until a customer turns up dead and wearing nothing except one of Viv’s hats. Scarlett decides to investigate, es
Suzanne
"Cloche and Dagger" is the first in a new series by Jenn McKinlay and I loved it! When Scarlett Parker leaves her home in Florida after a shameful incident involving a cake, her ex-boyfriend and his wife, heading to London to help run a hat shop in Notting Hill that she and her cousin Viv inherited from their grandmother, she gets more than she bargained for -- a missing cousin, a murder and a dashing accountant whom she is not sure whether to trust, or not. Scarlett doesn't have much time to li ...more
Carmen
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I read this novel for a book club. I wasn't really sure if I'd like it, but I actually loved it. However, I am not sure if I will read the second book in the series. I thought that the mystery surrounding Viv was interesting. It really was the central mystery and the murder mystery was squeezed in there. It really could have done without the murder mystery, which was practically over before it began. Regardless, it was a wonderful opening to a series. I loved the setting and majority of the char ...more
RebeccaS
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great first book to a series. The characters were bright, loud, and very fun to read about. I love how everything starts and finish with a lot of drama, and it never really lets up during the book. I still don't know how about Harry and his feelings toward Scarlet, which is sort of frustrating. A great first mystery for this hat shop crew. I love how the mystery of where Viv has disappeared to is tied into the mystery of Vick's murder. It was also a really fun setting of London that I don ...more
Lauren
Mar 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, dnf
I really wanted to like this book, but after being seriously annoyed by most of the characters, the over-the-top drama, and the serious lack of progress on the mystery, I gave up about 2/3rds of the way through. Scarlett is a shallow character who gets more arrogant and less competent as the story goes on. Harrison is an asshole who apparently gets away with it because he's so dreamy. Ugh! No thanks.
Kristen
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun cozy. I enjoyed most everything about it.

I liked Scarlett. Even though she was gullible enough to fall for a jerk with a "my wife doesn't understand me and we're separated" B.S. story, the way she behaved when she found out he had no intention of leaving the wife was super and I loved her for it! It was also a solid, plausible reason for why she zips off to England at the invitation of her British cousin.

The "fish-out-of-water" feature works really well here, especially as Scarlet
Chaitra
I'm not too keen on Jenn McKinlay, but this book was fine. Sure, I didn't believe Vivian's character. For heaven's sake, drop a damn note when it's you who bought your cousin's ticket. She had time to send handwritten notes to two different people, but couldn't leave one in the store? It's not only stupid, but it also doesn't endear Viv to me. Which is probably why I didn't hate Scarlett as I probably would have if there wasn't another stupid character. Another reason I didn't hate Scarlett was ...more
Tanya
This is the first in a series of mysteries surrounding a hat shop in England run by two cousins. The pair have inherited the shop from their grandmother; Scarlett left the states for England to join her British cousin, Vivian, in the running of the shop which is a delightful setting. The characters are not perfect and most believable; the dead body is a customer of the shop found naked wearing just a hat!, and there is even a bit of romance for Scarlett with the business manager. Thoroughly ente ...more
Laurie
It is entirely possible that my low rating is due to the fact that I listened to it on audiobook. Yes, the British accents made it fun; but I think the narrator's reading made me wonder if we were doing a rather serious but simple British mystery, or whether we were supposed to be enjoying a zany fun British mystery. I never quite figured it out. But I may have enjoyed it as a light, fun story had I been actually reading the book.
Valerie
Scarlett Parker is a fun character. Jenn McKinlay writes her with great gusto! I like the many flaws she has, Scarlett that is, and that she sees these flaws. Some fun characters, great details of the little area in London that she moves to. Look forward to continuing the series!
Thanh Thao
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng_fiction
Stimulating characters in cozy contexts revolving around love, career, passion, family, and friendship. The reality is sometimes harsh as well with hatred, materialism, deception, humiliation, and jealousy. I found the plot unpredictable but not so convincing regarding how the murder, assassination, and robbery happened. Anyway, I love the novel setting of millinery and casual life of a youngster.
Book Giveaways: Book Giveaway 1 16 Sep 01, 2013 02:56AM
  • Off Kilter (Scottish Highlands, #1)
  • Bran New Death (Merry Muffin Mystery, #1)
  • Laced with Poison (Sweet Nothings, #2)
  • Buried in a Book (Novel Idea, #1)
  • 50% Off Murder (Good Buy Girls, #1)
  • Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Killer in Crinolines  (Consignment Shop Mystery #2)
  • Quickstep to Murder (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #1)
  • Murder in the Mystery Suite (Book Retreat Mysteries, #1)
  • Grace Takes Off (Manor House Mystery, #4)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
  • A High-End Finish (A Fixer-Upper Mystery, #1)
  • Mayhem at the Orient Express (League of Literary Ladies, #1)
  • Pall in the Family (A Family Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1)
  • A Potion to Die For (A Magic Potion Mystery, #1)
  • Bloom and Doom (Bridal Bouquet Shop Mystery #1)
  • Foul Play at the Fair (Celebration Bay, #1)
Jenn is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of several mystery series and will be debuting a new women's fiction series in June 2017, starting with the title About a Dog. She lives in sunny Arizona in a house that is overrun with kids, pets and her husband's guitars.

Hat Shop Mystery (5 books)
  • Death of a Mad Hatter (A Hat Shop Mystery, #2)
  • At the Drop of a Hat (A Hat Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Copy Cap Murder (Hat Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Assault & Beret (Hat Shop Mystery, #5)
“Vivian was an eccentric who not only marched to her own drummer but was usually the drum major of the crazy parade” 5 likes
“If I did, it was the child in me acting out, so it doesn’t count because I can’t be held accountable for what childish me does.” 0 likes