Start by marking “Casualties of War (Vietnam, #4)” as Want to Read:
Casualties of War (Vietnam, #4)

Casualties of War (Vietnam #4)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
"The best Vietnam War novels yet for this age range." - Kirkus Reviews

Morris, Rudi, Ivan, and Beck are best friends for life. So when one of the teens is drafted into the Vietnam War, the others sign up, too. Although they each serve in a different branch, they are fighting the war together -- and they promise to do all they can to come home together.

Of the four, it's Beck
Published January 1st 2013 by Scholastic Press

Jeff Barber
Apr 19, 2013 Jeff Barber rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
The fourth and final installment in Chris Lynch's Vietnam series, Casualties of War follows Beck, the smarty pants of the group of four friends this series revolves around. Due to the oath sworn by the four that if one of them goes to Vietnam they'll all go. Beck joins up with the Air Force, finding what joy he can in the war by maintaining the aircraft.

Casualties of War can't quite stand up by itself in the same way books two and three could've, and relies heavily on those two books for its plo
Spencer G
The book “ Vietnam: Casualties of War “ by author Chris Lynch is one of the best books in the Vietnam series. It is about four friends that join the army together and have been at war for four years and have not seen each other for a long time. But then, one of the boys on the navy ships has easy connection to a radio and is able to call each of the other boys and they are able to talk to each other. They are all very excited! They plan to meet up all in Chu Lai. On the day they had all plan to ...more
Krystian
Jan 06, 2015 Krystian rated it really liked it
This book Was really good. It showed how war affects people and where they live in a way I've never heard. There's action, drama and all sorts of awesome and interesting things in this book, it will keep you on the edge of your seat. This story is about 4 friends that make a pact or a promise that if one of them gets drafted into the military for the Vietnam war then every one volunteers No matter what. Great book and a fun read.
Tweller83
Not sure this one would stand on it's own and i didn't get enough of the "smart" i thought i would from this charachter.

Good series, one all middle schools should have. The ending was sad, but realistic and left you wondering about something about the friends. Makes me think i need to go back to book one to check something out. The boys will like this series so i will certainly recommend it.
Alex Boyd
Dec 19, 2014 Alex Boyd rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This book is stupendous, I got this book because I read the first book and I wanted keep going on with Chris Lynch's books.

I think every one would like these books because they answer all tour questions and no cliff hangers. Then, the detail is so good it feels like your there and it's so good I can't even explain how good this book is, if you have not read this I think you should read it. The book only has one thing but I would spoil it for people who have not read it and I want you to read i
Weston Graham
Sep 30, 2014 Weston Graham rated it it was amazing
Beck is a smart guy, he was always the most intelligent of the bunch. But having the decision between college and his friends, he chose to go with his friends. He joined the USAF and works as a mechanic so he learns about plains, choppers, and super sonic jets.But is the reunion with his friends enough to make him think that everything is still the same.
I liked this book because I can relate to Beck because, in my group of friends I am the smartest. I also like the way the story was told, it w
Brenda Kahn
Jun 15, 2013 Brenda Kahn rated it really liked it
In this fourth and final volume, Beck, the brains of the bunch, the guy with an automatic college deferment, weighs in with his "eyes in the skies" perspective. While the first three could possibly be read in any order, I wouldn't recommend it and this last volume requires knowledge of events in the previous books. Beck is determined not to be responsible for anyone's death. He thinks that his job as mechanic/ engineer/ troubleshooter will keep him busy enough to actually man a gunner or pick up ...more
Ms. Yingling
Jan 06, 2013 Ms. Yingling rated it really liked it
Beck has enlisted in the Air Force, where his intelligence has helped him learn to fix the airplanes. He is a "ranch hand" and works on a "provider". This means that he goes up in planes and helps distribute Agent Orange in order to defoliate the area, making it harder for the Viet Cong to hide. He is still very concerned about his buddies Rudi, Morris and Ivan who are also fighting in Vietnam. Beck is right at the front lines, and when his division takes some really hard hits, he is sent briefl ...more
Rachel
Feb 27, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
Reviewed for www.compassbookratings.com

Overall Review:
Vietnam #4: Casualties of War continues the story of four childhood friends serving in the Vietnam War. Having not read the previous three books in the series, I was nervous about understanding the plot. Luckily Lynch provides a summary in the first few pages so I was able to slip easily into the characters' story.

I was impressed by Chris Lynch's take on warfare. This is not a video game re-creation, with bullets flying and bodies dropping.
Patrick
Dec 09, 2013 Patrick rated it really liked it
p.125 They have to have my words, on paper, at least trying to explain, because we are people of words and logic and all that.

The finale of the series contain a good deal of action. Overall, the series is strong. There are a few bumps and blips in the text, but the dramatic tension overrides any minor complaints from this reader. Morris' recurring dream binds the series and creates a death cloud floating above Morris, Rudi, Beck, and Ivan. The recurrance of letters between the characters, along
Robert P6
Feb 03, 2014 Robert P6 rated it it was amazing
Morris, Ivian, Rudi, and Beck have been best friends for as long as any of them can remember. So when one of them gets drafted to Vietnam, the others volunteer to go as well because of a simple pact they made, but this one could get them killed. Although they are serving in different branches of the military, they all look out for each other during the time they serve. They all made the same promise, COME HOME ALIVE. Out of the four its Beck that has the most to lose,a great education, and a pro ...more
Michael Joseph
Oct 17, 2013 Michael Joseph rated it it was amazing
Casualties of War is the fourth book in Chris Lynch's "Vietnam" series. This one was by far my favorite of the series. I just love how it ties in the previous three books into one final outcome. I did read the first three books before this one, so it helped that I knew the plot a little better. This is the story of Beck, a guaranteed college student and a major intellectual type, who goes into the United States Air Force after one of his pals, Rudi, gets drafted by the Marine Corp.

The book star
Zach
Mar 12, 2015 Zach rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This book "casualties of war" is about a guy named Beck, who is the brains of a group of four friends. One of the friend gets drafted into the Vietnam war the friends keep there promise to all join as well, all four in different branches of the military. In book Beck joins the air force on a aircraft that burns jungle. while onboard beck learns the true meaning of war and learns that life is a fragile thing, especially when death happens right in front of your eyes.
Susan
Apr 21, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, primary, fiction
Another direct hit by Chris Lynch. Book four in his Vietnam series for young people follows Beck who is in the Air Force. As part of a pact with three high school friends, Beck joined the Air Force rather than go to college in order to protect his friends from the air. His job is to drop Agent Orange on the Vietnamese foliage in order to kill it and open up the forest from snipers and the enemy. He has a close call when his plane is shot down and he ends up facing the enermy with an odd outcome. ...more
Robbygolds
Apr 20, 2014 Robbygolds rated it it was amazing
Casualties of War is a great way for Chris Lynch to end this series. It shows smarty Beck as not what you would've thought about him when the other 3 talked about him in the previous books. His character development was great in the beginning and in the middle. This one was not as good as the other books in the series, but is still a worthwhile read. Too bad this is the series finally.
Harrison EVHS Yee
May 18, 2015 Harrison EVHS Yee rated it liked it
This book the power of friendship. As one of the 4 best friends were drafted into the war, the rest followed. However, they were all in different branches. They promised each other to survive until the end and meet up again. Lynch tells the story of the struggles and the hardships these boys face, while motivated to see one another again. This is a very touching book on friendship.
Christophers
May 02, 2014 Christophers rated it it was amazing
Casualties of war by chris Lynch, is a book chronicling the one of four friends service in the us air force during Vietnam. This is the last of the four part series by chris lynch, and as to be expected, as with the other books, it is well written and has an interesting plot that leaves you wanting to read more.
Though this book is geared towards somewhat younger readers, this a book I would more than likely recommended to most people. I would also recommend this entire series, Chris Lynch does a
Manuel Ramirez
Dec 14, 2015 Manuel Ramirez rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great book that continued a great series. I always liked books that showed people's different point of view. I really enjoyed the book I thought it had a great story. I always kept on reading and reading to see what was going to happen next, and there was always the chance of somebody dying that kept me hooked. I thought it was a great book.
Paula
Sep 09, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
This fourth and final installment of the “Vietnam” series brings the stories of the four friends full circle with an explosive conclusion. This is Beck’s story. He is the brains of the group. He enlists in the Air Force and is responsible for repairing and maintaining the planes and their guns. He sees Vietnam from the air and can marvel at its beauty and detach himself from the carnage his work inflicts on the ground. But like his three friends, he must confront the reality of what he is doing ...more
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This series continues to present the Vietnam War in a way easily accessible to young people. It doesn't omit any of the horrors, but it is not gratuitous in its presentation. Each book in the series focuses on one friend and his branch of service. This fourth title features the Air Force.
Fernando
May 23, 2015 Fernando rated it it was amazing
This book is the last one of the series and is told from the perspective of the friend that joined the air force. He is in the war, but is commited to not killing any people while he is in vietnam. Its a good book with a good ending. Definitely recommend it.
William Byars
Mar 18, 2014 William Byars rated it really liked it
Caden Gillespie
I think this book was really good because of all the war scenes in the book. It has some really good scenes. I love parts where beck sprays stuff and shoots people. the only sad part is when someone dies. This is a must read book for people who love war.
Thao Phan
Apr 05, 2016 Thao Phan rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. I love how Chris Lynch told the story of war from the perspective of a teenager. The fact that Beck shares the same desires as me helps me pay more attention to the book and find out more about the war as well.
Robin
Fast-paced YA novel about four high school friends that serve in Vietnam. I could see this book appealing to teens regardless of how they feel about war. Although the last book in the series, this title seemed to stand alone well.
Alexander
Jul 06, 2015 Alexander rated it liked it
what i thought about the book was that beck is a smart guy. Everyone says so. He could have gone to college instead of Vietnam. But when his three best friends go to war, Beck knows he must honor his promised to go with them.
Kyle Anderson
Mar 13, 2014 Kyle Anderson rated it really liked it
This is a good book about how one soldier is different from most others. It is very interesting to see that soldiers go through the war differently. I would recommend this book to all teens.
Jason Traux
May 16, 2014 Jason Traux rated it did not like it
This was an okay book, wouldn't recommend it much to other people, maybe if you just wanna quick read or something about friendship and sticking together through war and all that. The only part of this book I think was interesting was when he got sent back to the U.S. to get retrained and then got sent right back to finish his stay. Overall it was an okay book
Megan
Jan 21, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
I loved this book despite the end and the fact it is such a big cliffhanger!

Okay, help me out here (spoil alert) was it Ivan who killed Randi? I mean c'mon, the Vietnamese snipers didn't have good aim, and Ivan seemed to feel guilty when he said goodbye to Randi! I mean, was it Ivan?
Aric Belt
Apr 04, 2014 Aric Belt rated it really liked it
It was an ok book i liked the other ones better because there was more action i didnt think this one that intresting.
  • The Prank
  • Fortress of Mist (Merlin's Immortals, #2)
  • The Saturday Boy
  • Duke
  • Black Storm Comin'
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • Courage Has No Color: The True Story of the Triple Nickles, America's First Black Paratroopers
  • 33 Minutes
  • Jump Into the Sky
  • The Curse of the Buttons
  • Anne Frank
  • Al Capone Does My Homework (Al Capone at Alcatraz, #3)
  • The Way to Stay in Destiny
  • "The President Has Been Shot!": The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
  • Superman Versus The Ku Klux Klan: The True Story of How the Iconic Superhero Battled the Men of Hate
  • The Surge (Storm Runners, #2)
  • The Tell-Tale Start
  • Maude March on the Run! (Maude March Misadventures #2)
Chris Lynch is the Printz Honor Award-winning author of several highly acclaimed young adult novels, including KILL SWITCH, ANGRY YOUNG MAN, and INEXCUSABLE, which was a National Book Award finalist and the recipient of six starred reviews. He is also the author of FREEWILL, GOLD DUST, ICEMAN, GYPSY DAVY, and SHADOWBOXER, all ALA Best Books for Young Adults; EXTREME ELVIN WHITECHURCH, and ALL THE ...more
More about Chris Lynch...

Vietnam (5 books)
  • I Pledge Allegiance (Vietnam, #1)
  • Sharpshooter (Vietnam, #2)
  • Free-Fire Zone (Vietnam, #3)
  • Walking Wounded (Vietnam, #5)