Start by marking “How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter” as Want to Read:
How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter

How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter

No money? No problem. You can start packing your bags for that trip you’ve been dreaming a lifetime about.

For more than half a decade, Matt Kepnes (aka Nomadic Matt) has been showing readers of his enormously popular travel blog that traveling isn’t expensive and that it’s affordable to all. He proves that as long as you think out of the box and travel like locals, your
Published February 5th 2013 by TarcherPerigee

To ask other readers questions about How to Travel the World on $50 a Day, please sign up.
Ellie There has been at least one update (in 2015) since the release of this book. And although the new edition has not yet been added to Goodreads, I want…moreThere has been at least one update (in 2015) since the release of this book. And although the new edition has not yet been added to Goodreads, I want to say a third edition was released in 2017.(less)

Start your review of How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter
Jkhickel
Mar 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Matt Kepnes (1) gave a short but very informative interview in the New York Times about travel, which (2) drew me to his blog, which seems current, lively, and useful, so I figured I'd (3) take a chance and invest $15.00 in his travel book. Well, two out of three ain't bad...I guess.

I was surprised that the advice in the book was so elementary. Join frequent flyer clubs, get a credit card that is affiliated with one or more of the clubs to maximize points, consider staying at a youth hostel, use
Karen!
Feb 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a book for rookies. Rookies who cannot use Google. Or common sense. It was anticipated that, weighing in at 316 pages, the "in-depth" region chapters were not remotely "in-depth". The majority of the specific advice is trite: join clubs and use sign-up bonuses on credit cards. Couch surf. Ride the bus or train instead of flying. If you're in a major city for a couple of days and are going to the major attractions, get one of those discount cards that you see advertised ...more
Yazeed AlMogren
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written for Americans, you will not see any tips for travel inside United States, but so far if you want to travel the world you will find a very helpful tips that will let you see a lot of countries with even a bare-bone budget.
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with wanderlust
Recommended to Ivonne by: Amazon Daily Deals
If you haven’t already been bitten by the travel bug, this comprehensive guide to traveling to places well-traveled or isolated will certainly do the trick. Author Matt Kepnes himself notes that the tips in How to Travel the World on $50 a Day: Revised: Travel Cheaper, Longer, Smarter come to an average of $50 per day: Obviously, travel in France and Germany will be more expensive, although that’s balanced out by travel in Central America and South Asia, which can run as low as $25 per day.

I
Chanel
I don't want to rate this title, because it was not what I expected but I could see how it would be really helpful.

There wasn't anything in here that was enlightening or groundbreaking about international travel. There was, however, a great compilation of information and resources about how to travel cheaply to destinations all over the world.

I would only suggest this book to someone who is in the very early stages of planning an international trip who already has a clear destination or
Patricia
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I came across this book while scanning the library shelves. I had never heard of Matt or read his blog. I never gave much thought to backpacking and after reading up on the hostel and backpacking scene on the Internet I realized that I would not be into either. I’m too square, too old and have always been too much of a non-wild introverted female. I do like to travel, but would not like to travel like Matt.

I would not like Matt’s form of travel when it comes to hotels either. In my younger
Candice Walsh
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I consider myself an experienced traveller, and find myself learning a ton of new stuff. Especially when it comes to banking and exchange rates, cuz I'm just no good at that shiz. (Although most of the info is catered towards Americans, it's applicable to Canadians as well.) Just take into consideration that everything in this book is written from Matt's experience, and he really knows his stuff. But experiences may vary.

Popped in to offer a review early, since it's ridiculous someone has rated
Completely Melanie
This book was so informative and incredibly helpful! I have already started using some of the tips that I have learned from this book and applying them to a trip I am taking this summer. I will probably even bring this book along with me over the summer as well.
Mary Paul
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When I was considering backpacking Europe in the summer, I had a wide variety of enticing titles to choose from- "The Rough Guide", "The Savvy Backpacker", "The Lonely Planet Guide". Ooh, how Very! But how to choose?

My answer was to look to the bloggers, look the folks who had actually done it. Look to the travelers on limited budgets and see what they say. Fortunately for me, one book came up over and over: "Travel the world on $50 a day".

Matt Kepnes ("Nomadic Matt") has left a big footprint
Steffani
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
(NOTE: I was contacted by the author who was stunned I said there was no Europe section in my book. We have concluded that I must have been stuck with a weird misprinted copy, and since I worked in a bookstore for a few years, I know that can happen. I've left my review below as it was originally done, but I'll say that I'm now 250 days into being a nomad and this is one of the books that was hugely inspiring and helpful in getting me out there and living my dream. I'm glad Matt Kepnes reached ...more
Darcey
Feb 05, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, help, travel
I'm more than a little disappointed in the Kindle edition of this book. The structure is… okay; the writing style precisely what one would expect to see on Kepnes' site (which is good: he stays with his voice!) However, this did not cover anything new or groundbreaking that you wouldn't be able to find with some concerted searching on his blog, or on the internet in general. The travel regions he covers (Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia, Central America & South America) are ...more
Steven Grimm
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
This is a super-practical book with a lot of up-to-date information. Based on my own travel experience, I think it comes pretty close to delivering on the promise in its title. I give it 4 stars as of March 2013. But the problem with this kind of book is that it will gradually get less accurate over time as its information falls out of date. For example, right now AirBnB may have few apartments listed in certain parts of South America as described in the book, but in a year or two maybe it'll ...more
Maddy
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Holy shit, I finished this ages ago. Whoops. Pretty much changed my view of travelling from "something you save up oodles of money for and then splurge until it's done, and repeat" to "possibly, MAYBE something you could consider doing longer term despite not being rich." And it has some awesome tips for someone like moi who has never travelled in their life.
KATHERINE
Basically stay in hostels cook food there and take public transportation or hitch hike.
Marc
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Some useful tips and a decent price breakdown. Particularly helpful for those new to budget traveling internationally and want a quick comparison between the most visited international places. The downside is that despite being up "updated" I found myself thinking that most of the information was from trips around 2014. Websites and apps have changed quite a bit in some places, so don't really on this book too closely for the most up to date info.
Kerry Pickens
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
This book is a good place to start in planning a trip, particularly for setting a budget for lodging and travel. I prefer to read his blog and Facebook articles as they are specific to traveling in certain areas.
Candice Walsh
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is Matt's newest edition, with some additions and updates throughout. I forgot about how great of a resource this is. Mostly for new travellers, but still some great info in here if you're more seasoned!
Sophie
A good book full of good advice. I'm not sure if all the prices are current, but it's definitely a good starting point to have an idea of how much to budget per country and how to save while on the road.
Desiree
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of informational nuggets in this book that I will definitely be using as I plan my next trips.
Courtney
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2015, travel
This is a review of the 2015 version of this book, which is not listed on Goodreads.

For the most part I enjoyed this guide. It was a quick read, at first glance it seems like a lot of info to take in but not everything in this book will apply to you. While in terms of long-term travel and in-depth travel hacking, I'm considered a rookie, most of this information I already know from a) experience and 2) other guides and blogs.

For someone totally new to this concept, whether or not they've
Damali
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never read any of these types of books, so I've obviously chosen the wrong one.
So far, it's talked a lot of getting credit cards with points to save money on travel and from past experience, I prefer not to jump back into the credit card game at all, so none of it really applies to me. It's talked about getting airline deals. I more or less figured out my own system by having alerts sent to my email for two years, so I know what to expect for the lowest price for the places I plan to go,
Alec Rigdon
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Matt Kepnes is perhaps the most accessible, relatable travel writer for those on a budget. His blog was a huge help for a recent international trip and this book provides a great resource for cheap travel. He covers his bases with tons of research. Unfortunately, his writing could use a lot of help. The book had many of awkward repeats and questionable structure issues. That said, $50 Dollars a Day is invaluable to travelers of all types.
Johnny Ward
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Save your money, it's like a hungry man asking for advice and being told to order a sandwich. Save money by staying in hostels, be from the US and collect airmiles on credit cards, ONLY go to places where there are literally thousands of tourists and use the internet to book flights. Not to mention the fact that having traveled around the world to literally almost every country in the word, $50 is a sexy title, but a false one too. Awful. Now wonderful, can you give me my four hours back :S
James
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most inspiring book I've ever read - not because it's meant to be but because it's 100% practical. It makes the world feel so accessible.
Anne - Books of My Heart

I love to travel and this audio is non-fiction on how to do so at lower costs. It also seems timed right since summer is a big travel season. It includes an introduction and three parts. Part One deals with planning your trip. Part Two is on the road expenses such as accommodations, food, transportation and activities. Part Three is regional information ( on the same things as Part Two) including: Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia, Central America, South America, China, India and
Ellie
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research, z-2017, owned
While the book was good, there wasn't anything I couldn't find on 'Nomadic Matt's' blog/website. In fact, I did go on his website to find a very similar set-up in a post specifically for America. It's a good resource, especially if you're like me and prefer physical notes. One of it's biggest flaws is that it specifically focuses on overseas destinations; I skipped over half of the book because it was for a specific country or region. There is a new edition of this book, and it came out barely a ...more
Shelby
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had unfaltering wanderlust for over a year. I daydream about hopping on a plane and never coming back. Unfortunately, I'm pretty frugal and refuse to splurge on a random international vacation. I did, however, splurge on this book.

The general premise of the book is well-meaning but improbable for most people, especially the target audience for this book. Live on $50 a day for a year, he says. It's less than you'd normally spend at home!

His advice? Save up $18,000+ and sell all of your
Erin Russell
May 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
In general, this book assumes the reader has very little travel experience.

The book is composed of three parts:
1 - Planning: Discussion of why travel is worthwhile, banking internationally, credit cards that can help you accumulate points redeemable for travel, what to look for in a backpack and a travel insurance policy.
2 - On-the-road expenses: A few interesting and novel ideas, including some sharing economy websites for meals, but a lot of this was pretty obvious.
3 - Breaking it down by
Amber
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ok-read, travel
3.5 Be advised it's the AVERAGE of $50 a day Kepnes stresses. This was a good read, ultimately educational and I can take what I've learned from this book and apply it to my future travel plans to places outside the US. I had no idea the countries of Scandinavia were so expensive, that Japan's prices are more reasonable than rumors admit and couch-surfing was even a thing. The only part I was iffy about was Kepnes' plan of attack for saving money for such trips. This is not a book that helps you ...more
Phil Sykora
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Infinitely less useful, portable, and readable than his blog posts. It has a good title and, since I've been a fan of his blog for a couple years now, I thought there was no doubt it would be a good read. It's not. It's more of a reference book than anything, and what good is a reference book if you can't Google the parts you need?

Not worth it. I'm not saying the info is bad (because it's not; the info's good), I'm just saying it's all online, and buying this book isn't going to help you any
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Ten Years a Nomad: A Traveler's Journey Home
  • Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel
  • The Rough Guide First-Time Around the World: A Trip Planner for the Ultimate Journey
  • Destination Earth- A New Philosophy of Travel by a World-Traveler
  • 1,000 Places to See Before You Die
  • Go Your Own Way
  • The Rough Guide to First-Time Europe
  • The Africa Book: A Journey Through Every Country in the Continent
  • The Happiness of Pursuit: Finding the Quest That Will Bring Purpose to Your Life
  • The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
  • Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need
  • How to Be a Capitalist Without Any Capital: The Four Rules You Must Break to Get Rich
  • The Squared Circle: Life, Death, and Professional Wrestling
  • Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks
  • Choose FI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • A Short History of Brexit: From Brentry to Backstop (Pelican Books)
  • Across Asia on the Cheap
“Oneworld’s other pass is much better and in my opinion the best RTW pass you can buy. The” 0 likes
“Every insurance company is different, and you should look around to see what companies offer and which are best for your trip. For that, I highly recommend the website Insure My Trip (insuremytrip.com). They compare insurance policies for more than twenty insurance providers, and because they let you compare plans in a grid layout, it’s easy to see exactly what each company covers. You’ll be able to compare medical coverage limits, emergency evacuation coverage, trip cancellation coverage, dental coverage, disaster coverage, and everything else under the sun. Some of the most popular travel insurance companies include STA Travel Insurance (statravel.com), World Nomads (worldnomads .com), MedEx (medexassist.com), MedjetAssist (medjetassist.com), and IMG (imglobal.com).” 0 likes