Start by marking “The Ramal Extraction (Cutter's Wars #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ramal Extraction (Cutter's Wars #1)

The Ramal Extraction

(Cutter's Wars #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  318 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
At the close of the 24th Century, a series of revolutions has caused the galaxy to descend into chaos. With the Galactic Union’s Army stretched thin, mercenary units have arisen for those who have the need—and the means—to hire them…

Captained by former Detached Guerrilla Forces Colonel R.A. “Rags” Cutter, the Cutter Force Initiative is one of the best. A specialized team
Published December 24th 2012 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Ramal Extraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ramal Extraction

Daniel
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I picked up Perry's Matador series while I was in high school (about 20 years ago), and since then I track what he's writing and read some of his new stuff. I went into this hoping for a cracking military-sf read, and, for the most part, I got that. As expected, Perry offers up some interesting characters who are competent at kicking ass, and he paces some of them through hand-to-hand fights that make for good reading. Unfortunately, the plot that Perry constructs is plagued by faulty logic and ...more
John
Blah! I would have to check to see if there are more Cutter's Wars books out there, but this seemed like an introduction to the main characters and not much more. There is a weak plot without much story arc, and each member of the team gets to relate his or her 'origin story'. I finished it, since it was fairly short, but I can't recommend it.
Elisa
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I ended up enjoying the characters and the action, not perfect, but entertaining and I will read the next one.
Brian Newland
Feb 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
I am a lover of all things Steve Perry (The Man who Never Missed remains one of my favorite books of all time), but this book is a bit sloppy. I don't know if I have just matured as a reader, but this book is pretty much one note Steve Perry. Everyone on the team are completely elite in every way and have no character flaws to speak of. There are flash back stories for just about every character that are awkwardly transitioned to in the dialogue. I am glad to see Steve Perry play in a different ...more
Lindig
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf
Perry does his trademark competent job here, though I thought the plot was thin enough that complications kept getting thrown in to pad the story. It's also possible that having each crew member tell a story from their past was a means of melding the team, or it was another pad-the-book ploy. It doesn't really matter as the book is first in a series, so the second volume will be the true test of whether the mercenaries will keep going.
Michael Bourgon
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Wanted to like it more than this, but a bit too much padding and a bit too rambly (and no, they're not the same) makes me wish he had written more scenes so that his editor could chop out some of the fluff. Decent military sci-if, but there's better out there, including his other novels.
Thomas
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Exposition is a major problem in science fiction. Too much and you bury the narrative in nonfiction. To little and the fictional world lacks substance and clarity. That is Steve Perry's problem in "The Ramal Extraction." He is so intent on never having two pages go by without an action scene that he never puts the reader in the world inhabited by his characters.
Adam
Oct 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Steve Perry has always been a favorite author of mine. His 'Matador' series of those are some of the best military sci-fi a person can read - Cole & Bunch's 'Sten' series, and the 'Looking Glass' novels of Ringo and Taylor owe much to the pacing and raw action of Khadaji, Dirisha Zuri and the rest.

In this novel, though, it feels like Perry is copying Cole and Bunch. Or rehashing old storylines.

Colonel Cutter is a mercenary in a future where the galactic government has very little military a
Steuve
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

You need mercenaries to do your job? Welcome to CFI (Cutter’s F..orce… Initiative….?) Dropped out from the army, gun lover, augmentation artists, addicted to risk… This little family will do the job better than most. So far, it’s quite easy when you pick up a bunch of mercenaries because you can do with them exactly what you want. This first book is all about kidnapping.

The only daughter of a Raja have been kidnapped. By whom? Why? Is it for money, power? Others motive? Let’s found out.

I fou

Scott Holstad
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really don't have much to say about this book. I enjoyed it, although I thought the plot was a little weak. It was a quick read and it was pretty exciting. That said, it seemed like the flashback sequences of each character explaining their first kill was just filler to pad the book's size and I didn't like that. It felt like the author was cheating. I enjoyed the Vastalimi character, Kay, an alien. She was pretty tough. The other mercenaries, though, all seemed to be at the top of their game ...more
Ric
Apr 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Military Sf that starts out well enough. A crew of for-hire, ex-military types is engaged to rescue a kidnapped scion in a far future planet. But once in progress, things are not what they seem. And their success, and survival, depends on how quick they can adopt to the changing situation and the dangers they face. Lots of mercenary humor and situations, but basically a linear story that telegraphs the ending well ahead. Most of the SF is based on armaments and gadgets while maintaining a social ...more
Margery Harrison
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Steve Perry's The Man Who Never Missed is a classic, and the rest of that series was pretty good. (It lost some of the drama after the good guys won, of course, but that can't be helped.)
So I was hoping for better with this Steve Perry book.
It held my interest, but I found a lot of the killing to be gratuitous and not needed, and thus a turn-off from what the characters were supposed to be. Left kind of a bad taste.
The writing seemed formulaic, though the author's own formula, to be sure.
Daniel Williams
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I decided to take a break from all the mysteries I had been reading and return to science fiction, with one of my favorite authors, since Shadows of the Empire, Steve Perry. And once again he did not disappoint. His main group of characters were all interesting and worth investing in, but each were not perfect, with their own little quirks, helping for a fun read. Perry again also shows great use of humor, and hints at sensuality. His plot had just enough twists to keep me guessing until the end ...more
Jeffrey Jelmeland
On the whole, a fine adventure book that was enjoyable to read. The characters were easy to grow attached to, and in the end I really found myself wanting to know more about them and their journey. The only real negative is that at times it felt like there was random filler material stuffed in to bulk up the story. Granted, this was somewhat explained within the context of the story, but it still left the story with some mildly disjointed sections. In the end though it was a very enjoyable read.
Mitchell
A fairly typical un-outstanding small unit military sf that I only read for the Endeavour Award. There was an interesting super-powered killing alien. The body augmentations were also interested. And there was a good implementation of the Streetwise skill from slipstream. But the plot was uninteresting and unoriginal. But really there was nothing all that objectionable here, just nothing all that positive either.
Thomas Wagner
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
My full-length review of this title is here.

Please note that my site SFReviews.net, in operation since July 2001, is where I post my SFF reviews, and I only use Goodreads to help direct interested fellow readers who are more likely to spend time here than following the site itself. Thank you. (If I review a non-SFF title, I will do so here.)
Dreamthiev
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's really the characters that make this book, I enjoyed them all and would love to read more of them.

The story isn't bad either, lots of double dealing and some intrigue. Almost a military sci-fi whodunit. But the protagonists are mercs, so more of a relaxed military atmosphere.

Very much enjoyed the read, and hoping the series continues.
Steven Allen
Apr 30, 2014 marked it as to-read
This was a fairly decent book from one of my favorite space opera authors. The ending had a decent twist, and not the everyone goes happy ending I was expecting. I hope for more in this series as the ending certainly implied that there would be at least another book. I would also like to see a return to the Man Who Never Missed series.
Conal
Dec 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This was somewhat disappointing to me as I was expecting quite a bit more from this author based on previous books I have read by him. As of now, I think I will take a pause from reading anymore of this series.

3 stars but not what I was expecting.
Babydoclaz
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Good beginning; mostly intro to characters with a simple plot. Intrigued to see where Perry is going with this
Dave
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great Steve Perry Sci Fi..
Aaron Byers
Mar 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This was the start to a new series that seemed...ok. Many characters that blend together with the exception of the alien super-killer. I'll read the next one, but this is no "Man who never missed."
Justin

Just pretty much your standard military SF romp.
La Tricia Ransom
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've missed you, M. Perry! Glad you're back in analog since I'm not an e-book consumer!
A most enjoyable romp if you like military space opera. Eager for the next installment.
Gene
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
It was pretty good - decent military action, little bit of a double cross from the employers. Some of the characters on the team were a little weak, but all in all it worked.

Matthew
A lot gallows humor, but interesting and distracting.
Massanutten Regional Library
Raymond, Village patron, July 2016, 5 stars:

Many plot twists and a satisfying ending.
Maurynne  Maxwell
Jan 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Not as good as the Matador series. More backstory than action. Since it's Steve Perry, I'll see if it takes off in the second book.
John
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
The story was well thought out and very interesting with appropriate technology. The gratuitous language and sexual references brought it way down in my opinion. Must be targeted at teen aged boys.
  • Andromeda's Fall (The Prequel Legion Series, #1)
  • The Burning Skies (Autumn Rain #2)
  • Slow Apocalypse
  • Magnet (Lacuna; Magnet #1)
  • Hope Reborn (The General, #1-2)
  • Killswitch (Cassandra Kresnov, #3)
  • Year's Best Science Fiction #18
  • They Also Serve (Jump Universe, #3)
  • Welcome Home / Go Away (Kris Longknife, #9.5)
  • Luck of the Draw (Xanth, #36)
  • Heaven's War (Heaven's Shadow, #2)
  • Unnatural Acts (Dan Shamble, Zombie PI, #2)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Warlord (The General, #1-2)
  • Starship: Rebel (Starship, #4)
Librarians note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Steven Carl Perry has written over fifty novels and numerous short stories, which have appeared in various magazines and anthologies. Perry is perhaps best known for the Matador series. He has written books in the Star Wars, Alien and Conan universes. He was a collaborator on all of the Tom Clancy's Net Force s

Cutter's Wars (3 books)
  • The Vastalimi Gambit (Cutter's Wars #2)
  • The Tejano Conflict (Cutter's Wars #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Six Scary Stories
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Rite of Passage
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Master Magician (The Paper Magician, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Then I’d have used some other tool. Knife, stick, a chair, whatever. Fighting fair gets you killed unless the other guy also fights fair and you are better than him and lucky. First rule: Don’t do it.” 1 likes
“There it is,” he said. “You sure? Doesn’t look big enough.” “I get that a lot. Trust me, it’ll look bigger in a minute.” 1 likes