Start by marking “The Myth of the Perfect Girl: Helping Our Daughters Find Authentic Success and Happiness in School and Life” as Want to Read:

New insights and practical solutions for overworked and stressed-out girls and their parents.
In today's achievement culture, many girls seem to be doing remarkably well--excelling in honors and sports and attending top colleges in ever greater numbers--but beneath the surface, girls are stressed out and stretched too thin as they strive to be "perfect." In their efforts
Published December 31st 2012 by Tarcherperigee

To ask other readers questions about The Myth of the Perfect Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Myth of the Perfect Girl

Sara
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: obp
This witty, compassionate and informed book focuses on how to help young girls and women become satisfied with themselves and their own endeavors. I was often moved by the anecdotes of what adolescents are going through now (I.e. "am I pretty" YouTube videos), and frequently prompted to reflect on my own experiences as a girl and younger woman eking out my own goals and values. A wildly helpful book both for parents and educators, girls and women would do well to read this as well. Even if the c ...more
Betsy Hover
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely delighted to receive this book from Goodreads Giveaway!

I wish that this book had been around 15yrs ago, when my daughter was a teenage/young adult. I simply could have used these great techniques and advise at that time.

I would highly recommend this book for any parent as a "Must Read".
Maggiekb
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Started out strong, then became repetitive and too obvious and far from the initial premise. Less on organizational strategies (yay, binders!) and more on how to identify and help overextended girls would be better. Or just cut 75 pages — it might be more useful that way.
Rachel
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I lost interest halfway through. It has lots of good information, but the organizational stuff I've read so.many.times already that I don't see the point, personally.
Ida
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
we need to read as many books about this as come out until this stupid culture changes. we are we asking perfection from our girls, super annoying since i see girls treat other girls horribly all of the time. unrealistic expectations based on male fantasy has made all little girls the victims of a society that expects them to be everything with no pay.
Shauna Tharp
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great resource about today's girl. While I've seen it as recommended reading for teen girls themselves, it is overwhelmingly aimed at the adults in their lives. There are great suggestions, both small and large, that would work well for girls (and many boys).
Tiffany
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Pertinent advise for today's world. Lots of specific techniques for time management that I will refer back to if needed.
Alisa Vural
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
It should be required reading when parents bring home a new baby - boy or girl.
Rania Rasheed
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest and most useful books I have ever read. Its simple and practical way and tips helps parents to reflect on the way they deal with their preteen and teenagers. Loved it and recommend it to everyone raising a young lady.
Amy
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Really a 2.5. I think I was hoping for more strategies on how to head off teen perfectionist tendencies, but the book is filled with what to do after there is a problem. The exercises are good and advice to parents often hit the mark. Some of the solutions seemed to me to sounded like more for girls to have to do and could cause more stress. In the end Homayoun wants girls to find things that motivate them and give them the right balance in their lives, but it was clear that she was just as trap ...more
Amy Scheck
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I'm lucky enough to have seen Ana speak several times, and the book mirrors the strategies she discusses in person for working with girls. Not only would this be a great read for parents and teachers, it has helped me to change some of my own thinking and ways to promote my own well-being.
Kari
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars, but only because my daughter is now 6 and not quite ready for most of the exercises in the book. Good content though and it was a nice reality check for me to stop and think about how far I have or haven't come in dealing with some of those same issues, even into adulthood. Recommended for those with tween and teen-age daughters!
Catherine
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Great practical strategies for helping girls step back, relax, and grow up in a less stressful environment. It's hard to buck the trend of running our kids ragged in pursuit of someone else's idea of success, but imperative we try!
Sara Smith
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good how - to manual to use when girls are dealing with middle school and high school pressures from both school and social issues. Contains exercises and narratives to help coach their common situations.
Sylvia
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, some great advice having two teenage ladies in my home.
Gina
Apr 05, 2013 added it
I lost interest. The subject is interesting but the book seemed to be getting buried in detail and repetition
Leah Adamowicz
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Will have to reread when my girls are tween/teens and friends are a bigger deal in their lives.
Kristen
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting, education
Basic information and helpful exercises for helping girls manage heavy loads.
Stephen
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read for parents of teen girls today.
Cynthia
Jun 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bryn Mawr School ...: The Myth of the Perfect Girl 1 2 Jun 25, 2015 03:06PM
  • Mothering and Daughtering: Keeping Your Bond Strong Through the Teen Years
  • You'd Be So Pretty If . . .: Teaching Our Daughters to Love Their Bodies--Even When We Don't Love Our Own
  • The Curse of the Good Girl: Raising Authentic Girls with Courage and Confidence
  • Better by Mistake: The Unexpected Benefits of Being Wrong
  • Little Girls Can Be Mean: Four Steps to Bully-proof Girls in the Early Grades
  • 101 Ways to Help Your Daughter Love Her Body
  • Teach Your Children Well: Why Values and Coping Skills Matter More Than Grades, Trophies, or "Fat Envelopes"
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • The Parents We Mean To Be: How Well-Intentioned Adults Undermine Children's Moral and Emotional Development
  • The Mommy Myth: The Idealization of Motherhood and How It Has Undermined All Women
  • The Disappearing Girl: Learning the Language of Teenage Depression
  • Just Because It Isn't Wrong Doesn't Make It Right: Teaching Kids To Think And Act Ethically
  • Alphabet Trucks
  • When Dad Hurts Mom: Helping Your Children Heal the Wounds of Witnessing Abuse
  • So Sexy So Soon: The New Sexualized Childhood, and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids
  • Robots, Robots Everywhere
  • Toys!: Amazing Stories Behind Some Great Inventions
  • Growing Up Brave: Expert Strategies for Helping Your Child Overcome Fear, Stress, and Anxiety
Since founding Green Ivy Educational Consulting, Ana has become a nationally recognized innovator of motivational organization and time-management strategies for junior high and high school students.

She is the author of two books: The Myth of the Perfect Girl: Helping Our Daughters Find Authentic Success and Happiness in School and Life (2012), and That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping D