Start by marking “Black Heart (Black Wings, #6)” as Want to Read:
Black Heart (Black Wings, #6)

Black Heart

(Black Wings #6)

As a former Agent of Death, Madeline Black is no stranger to witnessing violent ends. But being the one to cause them is an entirely different story…

Despite her having saved Chicago from a vampire invasion, the Agency wants to get Maddy off their payroll—permanently. With the deadly Retrievers hot on her trail, she has no choice but to trust Nathaniel to port her to safety
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published October 29th 2013 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Black Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Heart

Dark Faerie Tales
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Maddy has been through a lot lately. Now, with the Retrievers after her, she escapes to a foreign planet full of fae who hate Lucifer. Here’s hoping no one discovers one of his relatives has just showed up in their world…

Opening Sentence: “You have to get out of the house – now,” J.B. said.

The Review:

Since starting this series, I have thought that every book gets better than the last. Unfortunately, that pattern seems to have broken with thi
Ang from OZ
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just adore this series, this book wasn't as action packed as the others, but it did tie up some loose ends from previous books. I hope there are more in the series.
Julia
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Christina Henry hit another bad ass home run in the sixth installment of her Black Wings series. Black Heart is dark, sexy and full of surprises- any Urban Fantasy lover's dream come true. I COULD NOT put this one down! Christina Henry always knows how to put a fresh spin on her next Maddy Black adventure.

Maddy never slows down in Black Heart, the plot just keeps getting juicier. New villains and old villains show their faces. I almost began to feel bad for Maddy as she never gets a break from t
Mara
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I always like the latest novel in the Black Wings series. But I admit that, after reading the latest ones, I'm left unsatisfied and less than happy.
Maddy is always this uber powerful being, and at the same time she's always thwarted. Never clever enough to overturn the tables. It's all very logical in the over-arching plot, everything makes sense, but it's also dissatisfying. Why would I want to read about a woman without agency? Yes, she has power, but does she have a brain? What's the use of c
Louisa
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reads
Great read, and Maddy has to make conscious decisions about the darkness inside her. And so much happens, I just want more!

*First read August 17th, 2016*
This book was so fantastic! Yeah that it picks up after that cliffhanger ending, and yeah, so great to read! I can't wait to read the final book!
Celeste
Jan 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Sigh. Nothing material really changes with Maddy. She doesn't grow up, or get smarter, or manage to keep her temper. The same problems that exist in the rest of the books exist in this one. Only now compounded further with the mish-mash of mythology and fiction.

Why is Judas a werewolf? What is the basis for Puck, Lucifer, a giant sea creature and a dragon to be related? Who the fuck are their parents!? And on an unrelated note, Retrievers?

The world building is legit terrible.
Suzanne
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is just non stop action with fantastic characters and great world building.

There seems like there's still so much to happen though and only one book left! I can't wait to get started on it.
Leo C.
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5
Shelley
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5

*My Thoughts*

The sixth installment of the Black Wings series finds former Agent of Death, Madeline Black, trying to avoid being taken by the Agency's Retrievers after she broke the law while helping Lucifer. Just as they arrive at her home and destroy it, she is sent through a portal by Nathaniel to an unknown world light years away from Earth where she must fend for herself now that Beezle and the Scooby Gang have all but abandoned her.

While on the unknown plan
Karissa
Oct 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the sixth book in the Madeline Black series by Henry. There will be a 7th book in this series, but as of right now it is untitled. This was an excellent continuation of the series and the best book of this series yet!

Maddie has saved Chicago from raging vampires but the Agency is still out to get her. In an attempt to deal with her once and for all, the Agency sends the Retrievers after Maddie. In a desperate attempt to help her escape, Nathaniel opens a portal to another realm. When Mad
Koeur
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it

Publisher Description: As a former Agent of Death, Madeline Black is no stranger to witnessing violent ends. But being the one to cause them is an entirely different story.

Review: This is #6 in the Black Wings series of novellas starring Maddy Black, a fallen angel of mixed decent. I am kinda bummed out that I never heard of this writer or her novellas in this series prior to reading #6. This had many good elements to make for a riveting read. Great magic
Stacy
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I gave it 3.5 stars

BLACK HEART was not my favorite Black Wings Series installment. I still love the characters, the story line still keeps me reading but there just felt like something was missing in BLACK HEART. Maybe it was the absence of Maddy's allies? The absence of Beezle's comic relief? The way that a big majority took place on an unknown planet with Maddy pretty much by herself? I don't know. It was just missing something and by the time I felt like I was finally getting into everything
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Chelle:
*eARC received from the Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
--Actual rating 4.5 Skulls

Another absolutely intoxicating read by Ms. Henry!

Black Heart wasn't quite as action packed as the last 2 installments of the BLACK WINGS series in my opinion, but it was gripping, dark, sexy, and utterly intriguing, with lots of new and different stuff to love and enjoy.

I said it wasn't as action packed, but that doesn't mean it was slo
Cindy Cunningham
Nice twists in this 6th book in the series. Definitely a series you want to read from the beginning. The main character is likable and strong (usually!) and manages to land herself in some wild situations.
Cathy
I started off getting so annoyed again right from the start. I didn't want to, I always start a new book assuming it will be great, or at least pretty good. But Maddy tends to really just irritate me. This young woman was until recently totally isolated and naïve, living alone with her gargoyle and had been since her mom died when she was a teenager. Remember how isolated her job as an Agent kept her? But now she had, "honestly grown so accustomed to succeeding that I didn't know how to fail." H ...more
Leisa Feda
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Keep in mind this is just my thoughts... I felt like the first 150 pages or so was a waste of time. I realize it must tie in to the story but I thought I had the wrong book to begin with. Still not liking Maddie but she seemed to try to be nice at first when she met these new elves on a different planet. It all felt a bit sci-fi but I'm sure the author has more reason for the jaunt into space. On to the next book.
Johanna
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I didn’t enjoy it as much as the other books, the half of the book was really kind of boring and could have been written in at least half of the pages.
I’m at the point where it feels that there’s not much new happening in here, fights and fights and new enemies, kill and start over. There’s only one more book left, I’ll finish it, but I’m definitely not convinced by this book.
melissa
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This one was just "meh" for me. I think it may be because of all the issues Maddy being abandoned at the end of the previous book and pretty much on her own for this one. There's a few other players, one that may be an ally, another that's proven to be even douchier and self centered which is quite the accomplishment. Excited to see how this wraps up.
Patty
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She a bit darker

Maddy continues to struggle with her dark side. She is thrown into situations where she has no choice but to use the dark side to save herself and others. There was less light hearted bantering as things are becoming more intense.
Heidi Aspesberger
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maddy reminds me of Harry Deresden, anything that can go wrong will however she always finds a way to get out of it
Zainab
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
K
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book didn’t seem very important to the overall story arc. It was a fast read so that makes this a little less disappointing.
Christina Pot
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it
Brenda
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better.
Rachel Joy
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have become completely attached to Maddy Black, but am still upset over the loss of Gabriel. I am still not convinced that Nathaniel is a worthy substitute.
One more to go . . .
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
4 stars: Enjoyed - strongly recommend (A-)
Originally posted at That's What I'm Talking About
Review copy provided by publisher.

When we last saw our heroine Madeline (Maddy) Black, her life was in imminent peril, with the infamous Agency Retrievers coming to destroy her soul. Not only had Maddy left the Agency (something unheard of) where she was an Agent of Death, but she had broken the rules by crossing over into the land of the dead. Black Heart begins at full throttle, and it takes a while unt
Theresa A Couch
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series

Love the characters, and careful depiction of responses to each other. Main character seems so real, want to know what happens next.
Pam
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Christina Henry's Black Heart continues the saga of Madeline Black's life and the chaos within it. Maddy has been having it rough lately. Ever since she lost Gabriel really. The darkness inside of her that has been showing its face more and more continues to grow. Enough that it has pushed all her friends away from her. Other than Nathaniel that is.

When we last left Maddy the Retrievers were coming for her and she had very little time to escape. Nathaniel quickly created a portal for her to exi
Kt
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Even though Maddy is no longer an Agent of Death, her life hasn't gotten any less complicated. In fact, it's her old agency that is the current thorn in her side, and when they send the Retrievers after her, she's forced to escape via a portal Nathanial opens for her. Problem is that portal opens to a world and before long it's apparent she's jumped from the frying pan and into the fire. Everything from the vegetation to the fae inhabitants
  • A Trace of Moonlight (Abby Sinclair, #3)
  • Darkness Unmasked (Dark Angels, #5)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Sins of the Son (Grigori Legacy, #2)
  • On Midnight Wings (The Maker's Song, #5)
  • The Demoness of Waking Dreams (The Company of Angels, #2)
  • Awakening the Nightmare (Symmetria #1)
  • To Dance With the Devil (Blood Singer, #6)
  • Warrior (The Fallen, #3)
  • Angel of Chaos (Imp #6, Imp World #9)
  • Cold Blooded (Jessica McClain, #3)
  • Nether (Hidden, #5)
  • The Devil's Backbone (Niki Slobodian, #5)
  • Covenant (The Books of Raziel, #2)
  • That Old Black Magic (Living In Eden, #3)
  • The Sharpest Blade (Shadow Reader, #3)
  • Shadows Before the Sun (Charlie Madigan, #4)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
CHRISTINA HENRY is the author of the CHRONICLES OF ALICE duology, ALICE and RED QUEEN, a dark and twisted take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, as well as LOST BOY: THE TRUE STORY OF CAPTAIN HOOK, an origin story of Captain Hook from Peter Pan.

She is also the author of the national bestselling BLACK WINGS series (BLACK WINGS, BLACK NIGHT, BLACK HOWL, BLACK LAMENT, BLACK CITY, BLACK HEART and B

Black Wings (7 books)
  • Black Wings (Black Wings, #1)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
  • Black Howl (Black Wings, #3)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • Black City (Black Wings, #5)
  • Black Spring (Black Wings, #7)