Start by marking “Letters to a Young Poet” as Want to Read:

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  50,243 ratings  ·  3,809 reviews
Rilke's powerfully touching letters to an aspiring young poet, now available in a beautiful hardcover Penguin edition

At the start of the twentieth century, Rainer Maria Rilke wrote a series of letters to a young officer cadet, advising him on writing, love, sex, suffering, and the nature of advice itself. These profound and lyrical letters have since become hugely influent
Published March 26th 2013 by Penguin Classics (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Letters to a Young Poet, please sign up.
Rachel I read somewhere that the original publication included a sonnet Kappus wrote, but I haven't been able to find anything else... he wrote other works, …moreI read somewhere that the original publication included a sonnet Kappus wrote, but I haven't been able to find anything else... he wrote other works, but I don't think any of his letters have been published :/(less)
Olivia Although I don't speak German, I found the translation by Stephen Mitchell to be quite good. I felt I was able to clearly understand the author's inte…moreAlthough I don't speak German, I found the translation by Stephen Mitchell to be quite good. I felt I was able to clearly understand the author's intentions. Besides, something always gets lost in translation. (less)

·  50,243 ratings  ·  3,809 reviews

Start your review of Letters to a Young Poet
s.penkevich
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who desires to write
Recommended to s.penkevich by: Rakhi Dalal
Shelves: the_write_mind
Go into yourself and see how deep the place is from which your life flows.

Rainer Maria Rilke puts forth the question ‘must I write?’ in these letters from the great poet to the unknown Mr. Kappus. ‘Dig into yourself for a deep answer,’ he tells the young poet, ‘and if this answer rights out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple “I must”, then build your life in accordance with this necessity.Letters To A Young Poet, written between 1903-08, contains some of the mo
Jim Fonseca
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rilke (1875-1926) was a famous German poet, born in Prague. He traveled widely throughout Europe, married and had a daughter. A dozen years out of school, after Rilke had achieved some fame as a poet, a young man wrote to him asking for advice about life and poetry. Rilke wrote ten letters to him over five years. The young boy was romantic, frail and dreamy; a prisoner, so to speak, in a military boarding school where he was subject to strict discipline, bullying and humiliation. It was the same ...more
Gaurav
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in thoughts of Rilke, Anyone interested in knowing how to write with soul

Rainer Maria Rilke

'Letters to young poet', written by famed poet Rainer Maria Rilke, starts with a 'imaginary' poet Mr. Kappus seeking affirmation, from the great German poet, whether he should write ? The book continues with a series of letters which are generous answers, to the letters by'Young Worker', by Rilke, who was only 28 then, at length, and in great detail about what constitutes creativity and poetry, and how to channel the former into the latter. When you r
Riku Sayuj
The last book for the year. The soothing, gentle, unimposing yet wise voice of Rilke - what better way to fold up one more chapter in life and open another, with hope for more suffering and joys in apt measure. This little book has been my companion for four years now, always half-finished, and it feels strange to finally remove the bookmark and to keep it aside.

Read it with a forgiving bend. Keep in mind that Rilke never wrote them with an intention to publish, it was mostly an attempt to conve
Seemita
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: restless minds seeking a permanent footing.
Dear Mr. Rilke,

Assuming it to be a frequent phenomenon with you, I partake in pleasure and liberty of appointing you the receiver of yet another letter, from a besotted admirer of your wisdom and expression.

You see I have always felt that the best stories are those that we wish turned true; stories that uplift us with their depths and spring us back to the surface to stay afloat; stories that carry our thoughts in their seams and weave the most warm blankets to protect us in the winters of life;
Ahmad Sharabiani
Briefe an einen jungen Dichter = Letters to a Young Poet‬‭‭, Rainer Maria Rilke

In 1903, a student at a military academy sent some of his verses to a well-known Austrian poet, requesting an assessment of their value.

The older artist, Rainer Maria Rilke (1875–1926), replied to the novice in this series of letters — an amazing archive of remarkable insights into the ideas behind Rilke's greatest poetry.

The ten letters reproduced here were written during an important stage in Rilke's artistic deve
Fionnuala

Dear Mr Rilke,
How can I thank you enough for these marvelously heartfelt letters, full of inspiration, beauty and wisdom. They are a glorious gift, a gospel of wonderful words which I will follow all the days of my life.

Dear Reader,
If there is one thing I would say to you, it is to caution you against immoderation, against lavish and excessive language. When you write, try to say what you really feel and using the simplest language you know. Listen to the silence deep in your heart and begin th
J.L.   Sutton
Mar 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves...Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.”

“The only journey is the one within.”

Image result for rilke

Really loved the idea of 'living the question.' Beginning in 1903 and spanning a 5-year period, Rainer
بثينة العيسى
كتاب قريب من القلب.
فايز غازي Fayez Ghazi
- عشرة رسائل ارسلها "ريلكيه" الى صديقه "كابوس"، ينصحه فيها عن الشعر والادب والفن، بأسلوب متواضع ورقيق.

- الرسائل لطيفة (ستعيد ذكريات كثيرة لمن اعتاد كتابتها) وهذا النوع من المراسلات قد بدأ ينقرض اليوم ومعه تذهب احدى المشاعر الإنسانية الى اقبية النسيان!

- ريلكه لا يعظ في هذه الرسائل بل يحاول ان يترك "كابوس" على سجيته مع توسيع آفاقه واعطائه نصائح من تجربته الشخصية وقراءاته الذاتية.

- كتاب خفيف وبسيط ورقيق!

---
معظم الأحداث لا يمكن التعبير عنها بالكلمات، وتحدث في مكان لم تطأه يوماً كلمة
Mohamed Shady
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"يكفي، كما قُلت، أن يشعر المرء أن بإمكانه الحياة من دون كتابة، حتى يكون الأجدر به ألا يكتب أبدًا"

منذ فترة طويلة قرأت كتاب "رسائل إلى روائي شاب" للمجنون البيروفي "ماريو بارغاس يوسا"، كانت هذه أول مرة ألتقي بـ "يوسا"، وانبهرت على الفور بسلاسته وثقافته الموسوعية.
والآن، كما في المرة السابقة، ألتقي بمبدع آخر، يختلف تمام الاختلاف عن المجنون الآخر؛ كلاهما عبقري، لكن عبقرية "يوسا" نابعة من جنونه وخشونته، بينما تنبع عبقرية "ريلكه" من هدوئه وشغفه، بساطته ولغته الشاعرية.
عشر رسائل أرسلها ريلكه، على مدار سنو
Elyse  Walters
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While reading “Ideas of Heaven: A Ring of Stories”,
by Joan Silber .... I found myself really enjoying the poetry - inserted - by Rainer Maria Rilke—relevant -powerful - truthful - beautiful- words of depth I connected with.

I wanted to know more about who Rilke was.
I found this book -a
compilation of 10 letters that Rilke wrote to a young poet named Franz Xaver. Xaver wanted to know if his work was good.
— Rilke letters are inspirational - filled with wisdom -( jewels to writers)- and beauty.
Manuel Antão
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, favorites
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Published 2016 (Portuguese translation and afterword by José Miranda Justo).

“Dieses vor allem: fragen Sie sich in der stillsten Stunde ihrer Nacht: ‘muss ich schreiben?’ Graben Sie in sich nach einer tiefen Antwort. Und wenn diese zustimmed lauten sollte, wenn Sie mit einem starken und einfachen ‘Ich muss’ dieser ernsten Frage begegnen dürfen, dann bauen Sie Ihr Leben nach dieser Notwendingkeit.”

This book has been my favourite book fo
AB
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to AB by: Mara Collins
In which Rainer Maria Rilke, both mercilessly and mercifully, bashes me over the head with a baseball bat from the other side of the Great Whatever.
Paul Bryant
LETTER FROM A YOUNG POET

Dear Mr Rilke

I am not sure I made myself completely clear in my last letter to you. Judging by the reply you were so kind enough to send, I don’t think you quite realised that my landlord has now issued a notice to quit, the period of which terminates this month, and, as I tried to explain, I have been let go from my position at the slaughterhouse – I stress that these are not metaphors, or ironic parables, dear Mr Rilke. It could be that you thought I was speaking poetic
Mohamed Khaled Sherif

ملحوظة هامة قبل قراءة الريفيو:
هذا الريفيو شخصي جداً، غير موضوعي، وغير مُحايد.. وقد وجب التنويه.

ما قبل القراءة:

كان عندي موعد بالقاهرة في التاسعة من صباح اليوم.. وبعد ذهابي تأجل الميعاد فجأة أربع ساعات كاملة!.. فماذا عساي أفعل؟
تجولت في الشوارع قليلاً.. أحب التجول في القاهرة بين المباني الشاهقة التي أشعر أنها تحميني بطريقة ما.. وجدت نفسي أمام تمثال طلعت حرب.. وأمامه مكتبة الشروق..
إذاً هذا هو الحل.. سأدخل لأشتري كتاباً وأجلس في أي كافيه أو "قهوة بلدي" أقرأه حتى الموعد المؤجل.. نسيت أن أخبرك أن ذلك ا
Michelle
May 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I always underline in books, either for the wise quotes that teach or the pure beauty of the passage. About ten pages into this book, though, I gave up underlining as nearly every sentence was a combination of beauty and wisdom. These letters (to a young man he never even met!) are inspiring in their honesty, teaching to cherish your solitude, "to walk inside yourself and meet no one for hours... to be solitary as you were when you were a child, when the grownups walked around involved with matt ...more
Nada Elshabrawy
قرأته ٣ مرات.
فؤاد
همزمان با این کتاب، کتاب "ذن در هنر نویسندگی" ری بردبری رو خوندم، و حس کردم چقدر با هم تفاوت دارن این دو نفر، در عین این که هر دو جالبن. ریلکه خیلی آلمانی تره، عمیق و محزون و خیلی شبیه به شوپنهاور. در حالی که بردبری کاملاً آمریکاییه و پر شور و انرژی.
ریلکه مدام به فرو رفتن در خود امر می کنه، می گه شاعری یعنی خلوت گزیدن و قطع کردن ارتباط با آدم های دیگه، و وسیع تر کردن دنیای درونی، و باید سال ها تجربۀ درونی کرد تا شاید ده بیست شعر خوب سرود.
در مقابل بردبری معتقد به مدام کار کردن و کار کردنه، و می
Robin
What a tremendous thrill it must have been for budding poet Franz Xaver Kappus, to receive the first letter in response to his own from his literary idol, Rainer Maria Rilke. And then, to receive nine more.

This collection has been widely read and is widely loved. Only the letters from Rilke (written from 1903 - 1908) are included, which is fine, because even Rilke acknowledges several times that he is not addressing Kappus' specific questions or concerns. Rather, he gives a loving, far reaching
Aubrey
Twelve years on and it will have been a ten
by ten span of time since you left, Rilke.
Left on high, left to below both word and
hope, hope, most of all hope. Your heart you gave,
and for that we love.

I'd like to rhyme in metered line along
the likes of you, but too long ago your
poetry graced my eyes. What lies left's a
feeling fit for tears and joy alone, and
somber light it is.

Your maudlin days do not astonish, for
many a kindred of mine has suffered
the same, and yet, goes on. I draw from each
going
Miltos S.
"Τα έργα τέχνης ζουν μέσα σε απέραντη μοναξιά, κι η κριτική είναι το χειρότερο μέσο για να τα ζυγώσεις."

Κάθε φορά που διαβάζω ένα βιβλίο σαν κι αυτό, συνειδητοποιώ πόσο μικροί και αδαής είμαστε σε σχέση με αυτό που ονομάζουμε ανθρώπινο πνεύμα. Σε τι βάθη και σε τι κορυφές έχει φτάσει η σκέψη των μεγάλων δασκάλων μας και πόσα πράγματα θα μπορούσαμε να διδαχτούμε από αυτούς.
Ούτε οχτώ ζωές δεν θα έφταναν για να διαβάσουμε όλα τα βιβλία, να ακούσουμε όλες τις απόψεις και να κάνουμε όλες τις σκέψεις
Perry
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Treasure Chest for Artists and Lovers of Art

I don't normally read a lot of poetry, but when considering this book a few years back, I'd read some of Rilke's poetry and the high praise I mention below. When I read this short book (80 pages) though, I had no idea what a true chest of treasures lies herein. I highlighted so much text and made so many notes, I noticed I left little text unscathed.

This book consists of ten letters written by Rainer Maria Rilke to a younger poet. It, and particularl
Annetius
Δε θέλω ψυχολόγο. Θέλω έναν Ράινερ Μαρία Ρίλκε να μου γράφει γράμματα.

Αν κανείς είναι ρομαντική κι ευαίσθητη ψυχή –μέσα του εννοώ και όχι κατά τα φαινόμενα- θα βρει μια πολύ ζεστή γωνιά στα γράμματα αυτά του Ράινε Μαρία Ρίλκε προς έναν νέο ποιητή ονόματι Κάπους και προς μια νέα γυναίκα, με άγνωστα στοιχεία. Αν δε είναι και από τη φύση του άνθρωπος που βρίσκει παρηγοριά στην τέχνη, όχι μόνο στη συγγραφή, θα αισθανθεί έντονα ότι τα γράμματα αυτά απευθύνονται στον ίδιο, ίσια μέσα στην καρδιά.

Ποια ε
Sanjay Gautam
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a profound, almost celestial, experience reading these letters by Rilke.
Owlseyes
Notes collected

Rilke, the lonely German-language poet, but not really a German, rather an exile for 10 years,...possessor of nothing, but his language, shows a young man how a "masterpiece of art" can be accomplished and last for long.

Paris 1903.

It appears that Rilke had been approached by a poet asking for a critical view of his output. Yet, Rilke's standing was not critical, at all; he rather preferred a hearty (almost paternal) reply. So he advised the young poet to look inside,
AhmEd ElsayEd
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
السخرية؛ لا تتركها تسيطر عليك، وبخاصة في اللحظات التي يغيب فيها الإبداع. أما في لحظات الإبداع فحاول أن تسغلها، بوصفها وسيلة إضافية لفهم الحياة. إذا استخدمتها بنقاء ستبقي نقية ولن يكون عليك أن تخجل منها. وإذا شعرت أنك ألفتها أكثر مما ينبغي، فاخش تلك الألفة المتزايدة وأدر دفتك صوب أمور عظيمة وجادة تبدو السخرية أمامها ضئيلة وعاجزة. ابحث عن أعماق الأشياء، فهناك لا يمكن أن تسقط السخرية أبدا. وعندما تقترب من حافة ذلك الأمر الكبير، اختبر في الوقت ذاته إذا كانت طريقة الفهم هذه تنبع كامنة من كيانك. لأنها ...more
Rakhi Dalal
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
There is something very pious about the experience you have while reading this book. No, I am certainly not a theist. Not anymore. But if ever there were a Pantheon built for the bibliophiles, Rainer Maria Rilke’s “Letter To a Young Poet” shall invariably have a place in it.

Though this is just an account of Letters written by him to an aspiring poet, Rainer speaks to you in a language, which seems to be coming back to you, like a cherished memory once been forgotten. The Solitude he speaks abou
Constantina Maud
I could just paste here all the passages I highlighted while reading this last month during my breaks from writing--but that would mean pasting practically the entire book.
Because it is that good.
You don't have to be a writer to truly enjoy this heartwarming read. Through this correspondence revolving around the writing craft, Rilke gives us glimpses into his general worldview and way of life convictions. His insight and existential approach on themes like anxiety, solitude and empathy are deepl
Calista
Rilke has sent 10 letters to his friend and pen pal, Kappus, talking about all manner of things, but mostly art and poetry. Kappus is a student asking Rilke about writing. He sends him his stories and letters and Rilke reads them and comments them. They also have a friendship developing between them.

This isn't a story, but it shows a historical mentorship. The book is the 10 letters that Rilke sent, but in this edition, they also print out the letters that Kappus sent to Rilke so we can see both

• Mogens and Other Stories
  • لماذا الحرب؟
  • الرسولة بشعرها الطويل حتى الينابيع
  • Les Fleurs du Mal
  • The Prophet
Rainer Maria Rilke is considered one of the German language's greatest 20th century poets.

His haunting images tend to focus on the difficulty of communion with the ineffable in an age of disbelief, solitude, and profound anxiety — themes that tend to position him as a transitional figure between the traditional and the modernist poets.

He wrote in both verse and a highly lyrical prose. His two mos