Start by marking “Shifter's Wolf” as Want to Read:
Shifter's Wolf

Shifter's Wolf

(Aralorn #1-2)

Includes her debut novel Masques and its sequel Wolfsbane—together in one volume

Before there was Mercy Thompson… In a world far removed from the Alpha and Omega werewolves… There was the shapeshifting mercenary Aralorn.

Masques
After an upbringing of proper behavior and oppressive expectations, Aralorn has fled her noble birthright for a life of adventure as a mercenar
Published December 31st 2012 by Ace (first published 2011)

Lucinda
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
An undeniably well-written urban fantasy filled with kick-ass supernatural heroines and intriguing plots.

‘Shifter’s Wolf’ is a single volume edition containing 2 books within: ‘Masques’ and also ‘Wolfsbane’. I am so pleased that the cover caught my eye in the bookshop, as I am delighted to have discovered Patricia Briggs who is an excellent writer of this particular genre. These outstanding adventures are full of excitement and inspired creativity, complete with many twists and turns as to leav
Jasmine
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: grown-up, ace-book, ace
Read this one out of backlist interest, and it was indeed interesting. A lot of the Briggs hallmarks were there -- mind control on the part of the villain, sneaky lady hero, shapeshifting, many much snark, limited useful women, plot-useful but not humanized mental illness -- but tentative. Except for the sexism. That was fascinatingly ever-present and unexamined. Oh and the demonization of mental illness. Also present.
Annette
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
My, how you've grown!
Having just finishing devouring both the Mercy and the Alpha & Omega books (start with Preying For Mercy) like they were going to self destruct in 3 days, I found myself casting about at the library for another likely candidate. Enter this omnibus edition of Briggs' very first novel and its sequel. The author provides a nice little disclaimer about how she really didn't have a clue what she was doing when she wrote it and how she wanted to re-write it for this edition,
Stefanie
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I originally bought Masques and Wolfsbane a couple of years ago as separate books. I'm so happy to see that the publishers felt the need to re-release them together in one volume with such an awesome cover. I must say that I completely fell in love with them as much as I did her Mercy Thompson series and her Alpha & Omega series. My favorite of the two would have to be the second: Wolfsbane. I loved meeting the people who populated Aralorn's early life and how they interact with her when she ...more
Cassandra Frederick
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted so badly to love this because I love Patricia Briggs and the Mercedes Thompson series, but this just wasn’t for me. The story, while very interesting at times, tended to drag on with things that weren’t really necessary. Like, I know that Aralorn is supposed to be a great storyteller, but several times, things came to a halt so she could tell another story. I don’t thing that was necessary. And it wasn’t the only time things dragged on for stuff that I feel wasn’t needed. One thing I di ...more
Elena
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favourite books which I reread annually. Despite its genre tropes and slight predictability, these books are continually engaging, entertaining and heartfelt with Aralorn and Wolf being two of my favourite characters of all. I prefer the traditional authenticity of Patricia Briggs' earlier works and love her character weaving.
Mskychick
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Didn't actually read Shifter's Wolf. I read the 2 books it contains, Masques and Wolfsbane, as individual books several years ago. I didn't want to get confused when following what I've read by Briggs, however, so I need to mark this as read in Goodreads.
RegencyEmma
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH!

This book is definitely one of my favourites!

Action, Adventure, Magic, a hint of Romance. Brilliant writing and amazing characters! Basically, everything you could ever want in a book.

Patricia Briggs is a wonderful author.
Centrumlumina
An enjoyable but not especially spectacular fantasy-romance duology about the adventures of Aralorn, a shapeshifting mercenary spy, and Wolf, her companion who is hiding a dark secret.

I had fun reading this, but I feel some of the potential of these characters was missed - for a 'spy', Aralorn only actually works undercover about three times across both books, while Wolf is played up as far more terrifying by reputation than we ever see him be. The edition I have includes a warning that this is
Claire Hill
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I say these two books as a whole are due 3.5 Stars, if only because one is her debut and the other is it’s sequel. They have all the rough spots of first novels but also contain gems of Patricia Briggs’ future works, and having read said works it is very interesting to see the ideas and writing style generate and develop through time. Masques and Wolfsbane are good stock; worth a read if you’re a fan of the rest of the author’s work.
Michelle
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. I find that a lot of books with strong female leads start out fantastic and their characters are super badass then as they go on they turn into whimpering simpering fools. Not the case here! Of course there is a love interest but they stay partners and equals it’s awesome and rarely done. So if you like strong female characters this book is worth the read.
Hillary
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. fun and interesting, if not her best work
Fastidious
Duplicate. Rated based on rates of individual books- Masques and Wolfsbane. See those for review.
Shazza Maddog
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually two novels in one, Masques is our introduction to the two main characters, Aralorn and Wolf. Aralorn meets Wolf when he's in his wolf form, and doesn't realize for a while that he is human, but then the wolf starts talking, and his cover is blown, at least for her. The pair of them are both sorcerers, though Aralorn's magics are 'small' compared to Wolf's - she can shapechange into a mouse and an icelynx, and use spells to make sure people stay asleep, for example. Wolf, on the ...more
Taylor Alcantar
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great anthology of two of Patricia Brigg's earliest works, Masques and Wolfsbane. Before each novel there is a letter from the author describing the process and events that led and delayed each one to publication. She seems a little apologetic in presenting her first work but I'm so glad she decided to re-publish them!

Aralorn is the eldest, illegitimate daughter of a Lord and one of the mysterious shape shifters. she inherited the talent to shift into select animals and change her huma
Mary
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shifter's Wolf is a compilation of two novels written by Patricia Briggs. Masques was the first book she wrote. It didn't sell very well and went out of print in 1995. Wolfsbane, its' sequel, was written without a publisher and sat on a shelf for a while. After becoming successful (Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega), the author was able to do a polish of Masques and include the sequel in this edition.

I am a big fan of Patricia Briggs and, while I can see the newness of her writing in Masques,
Adele
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Masques (four stars):
I ended up really enjoying this book. The characters were really interesting and although the plot occasionally felt a little patchy, it overall produced a fairly gripping read. Briggs' note at the start of the omnibus is true though - don't read this novel expecting her usual finesse. You can tell that it is her first novel, but only if you've read the rest of her work. If it's your first Briggs novel, I'd say it's on par with other books I've read by best-selling authors!
Ivan Benedict
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a novel and a sequel to the novel
written many years later. This is fantasy involving a
land that is ruled by a magae, who has control of the
kingdom, largely because of his strong magic. His
nemesis is his own son, who is a shapeshifter and
discovers eventually that he has his own magic as
well. The main character is a young woman, who is
a professional spy and a rather limited shapeshifter.
She and the son team up together in the first novel;
and their relationship grows closer as
Helen-Louise
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Patricia Briggs that I have read - actually two books under one cover. I thoroughly enjoyed both, and wish that there were going to be a third to wrap up some loose threads at the end of Wolfsbane. Aralorn is a strong and resourceful female lead, and Wolf the dark and damaged hero - sounds cliched, and there is a bit of that, but the reason things get to be cliched is because readers like them! In an author's note, Briggs comments that these books were very early in her ...more
Tasneem
This is the second time I'm reading these stories. The first time it was in e-book format but then I picked up the paperback in the library and enjoyed them all over again. I am a sucker for books - and re-reading old favourites gives me the chance to see if they stand up to further scrutiny. These do. I see why Briggs was hesitant about Masques, it is definitely not as strong as some of the Alpha and Omega and Mercy stories, and yet, I loved the plot, the characters and the world nonetheless. A ...more
Impy
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I finally got my hands on Shifters Wolf by Patricia Briggs, which contains her FIRST book "Masques" and its sequel "Wolfsbane". She has a nice note in there about how the books are flawed, and she tried to improve on them in this edition, but that because loyal fans loved Masques so much, she didn't want to change it too much. I could tell, reading it, that she has improved immensely since she started writing, but her characters were just as engaging and amazing back then. I loved both books.
Lyn Mckenzie
Nov 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG this book is awesome!!! I loved it and could not put it down, was gutted when it was finished. I so want more stories about wolf and Aralorn. This is sthe first book i have read by patricia Briggs but i want them all now. Would recommend this to everyone, would love to know what happens with Aralorns little brother.
vanessa
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all of Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson series and have slowly been making my way through her older books. This book is two books in one, and a really lovely story. It has romance, action, characters you care about and a story line that flows. For fans of Briggs other work I would recommend this. And if you haven't read any of her other books? Get a move on!
Jacq
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A meld of paranormal and fantasy works well, after reading the forward my expectations were quite low, this being one of her first and not a favourite, but it’s a light read. Fun, fast, with a few gaps that she readily acknowledges; something easy to pick up and put down, or even read in instalments.
Patricia
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is Ms. Briggs first novel, Maques, and its sequel, Wolfsbane, released together into one volume. Although there were a couple of problems with the story, the two main characters, Aralorn and Wolf (aka Cain), are engaging, and their adventures exciting. Overall, it was a fun book!! I would love to read more about them some day.
Mika
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing was utterly beauty and the character were strong and rich but I couldn't get into the story. I am not a huge fan of magic and wizardry. I love her other series but I had to give these a try.
Anne
Aug 21, 2012 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Briggs is a fabulous story teller. This series was one of her earliest. Hard to put down book.

I have read all four books in the series. Different characters but the same historical era but the latter two books aren't equal to the first two books.
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
This was...ok. Masques is Patricia Brigh's first book, but updated for a rerelease. I really enjoyed the characters, even if the plot told a story I'd read before.

I'm going to rate book 2 separately when I finish it.
Brian
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having cut my teeth with the Mercy Thompson series, it took me a while to warm up to this new heroine, but Aralorn is a wonderful character in her own right.

Another shapeshifter involved in another mystery, but in a medieval world. Kept my attention locked almost from beginning to end.
Summer
I would give the Masques portion of this book a 3.5 or 4 star rating. It wasn't anything I would rave about but it kept my interest and I thought the world was interesting. The Wolfsbane portion of this book I didn't like as much. It was okay but I felt less engaged by it.
Patricia Briggs Fans: Shifter's Wolf? 8 105 Jan 08, 2013 03:47PM
  • The Wind-Witch (Warhorse of Esdragon, #2)
  • Beneath a Midnight Moon
  • Project Elfhome (Elfhome, #4.5)
  • The Wolf Hunt
  • Lion Heart (Sentinels #2)
  • Blood Spirits (Dobrenica, #2)
  • This Wicked Magic (This Witchery #2)
  • Seasons of Wither (The Great North Woods Pack, #3)
  • Into Elurien (Skeleton Key)
  • Planetes Omnibus, Volume 2
  • The Healing Miracles of Archangel Raphael
  • I Am Wolf (The Children of Nox, #1)
  • The Lion (Legend of the Five Rings: Clan War 7)
  • Scent of Tears (Reflections #7.5)
  • The Secret of Dragonhome (Dragonhome, #1)
  • The Crab (Legend of the Five Rings: Clan War 5)
  • Tarnished (Silver #2)
  • The Danger of Destiny (Mystwalker, #4)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana, to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a n

Aralorn (2 books)
  • Masques (Sianim, #1 / Aralorn, #1)
  • Wolfsbane (Sianim, #4 / Aralorn, #2)