Start by marking “The Things You Would Have Said: The Chance to Say What You Always Wanted Them to Know” as Want to Read:

A collection of extraordinary letters expressing the joys, sorrows, and surprises of ordinary lives.We've all missed the chance to say something important. Friends fall out of touch, loved ones pass away, or sometimes the courage required is simply lacking-and thank-yous, regrets, feelings, and secrets are left unshared. In 2009, Jackie Hooper came up with a way to help pe ...more
Published March 26th 2013 by Plume (first published March 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Things You Would Have Said, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Things You Would Have Said

Start your review of The Things You Would Have Said: The Chance to Say What You Always Wanted Them to Know
Chris
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book as Goodreads First Reads giveaway. I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick, sometimes emotional but enjoyable read. It is a project by Jackie Hooper. She collected letters that people wrote to people they know or have known sometime in their life. The letters were apologies as well as thank yous and some are I am just so proud of yous or I can't believe that you did thats. They help you to realize that you never really know what affect your words and actions have on peopl ...more
Kateryna
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Truly an amazing book.
It brought me to tears and made be smile like an idiot, whilst being on an airplane. I
finished the book and I fell in love with it. I think it was a great idea to do this, I feel like people got to fully express themselves and maybe let go some of that guilt they have been holding on to for so long.
It really moved me, and made me look at life a little bit differently. I should appreciate everything that I have and make the best of it, spend each day like its my la
Trisha
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I decided to get this book after seeing a story about it on a television show. Many of the letters were heartfelt and the entire concept of the book interesting. Plus the letters about the dogs made me miss my dog even more.
Emily Briano
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book and the story about it on CBS Sunday Morning have challenged me to tell my loved ones how I really feel and to live my life without regrets.
Tiya Mulani
Apr 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this book when I visit my office library for the first time but decided to borrow it on my second visit there.
This book consists of letters from various people around the writer. Anyone can send the letter and anyone can write anything they want to anyone. Even though the letter would not received by the person they intended but by putting it on the letter itself already made them feel better. It feels like we actually had said it directly.
Reading this book feels like the person exactly
Jessica Wilder
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I enjoyed this a lot. A short book, probably could’ve read it in a day or two if I had the luxury of time. Some really sweet letters - I laughed at some and cried at others.
Zinnia
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I recommend! A great reminder that life is precious and can pass you by leaving you wishing you had done more. Read this book to convince yourself to do more.
Melissa Crytzer Fry
May 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
*** 3.75 rating ***

I saw this book on CBS Sunday Morning and thought I had to have it. As the title implies, it's a compilation of messages - from real people - to the loved ones that they never were able to share. It's really a book of stories about love, regret, compassion, gratitude, and - sometimes - even anger. It is a quick little read that packs a powerful punch (have tissues ready for many of the entires).

I was intrigued that the author, Jackie Hooper, actually began this book as a blog
Katie
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book is quite short and could be read in just a few hours. I was expecting something different. Although some of the letters are funny and uplifting, most are frankly depressing. A lot of the letters are full of regret and sadness at things gone unsaid. Hopefully writing the letter provided the writer with some sense of closure or relief, and maybe this book will inspire people to write their own letters, or better yet, talk to their loved ones before it's too late. I received a free copy t ...more
Mary
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a giveaway and started reading it immediately after I picked it up at the post office. I was intrigued by the concept of the project and couldn't put it down. Reading the letters of people expressing the things they wished they had said encouraged me to think about words unspoken that I wished I had said. Thinking about that warped into the notion that living in the present and telling the people you love is important. I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
MaryAnn
May 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to MaryAnn by: The Take Away on NPR
At a 191 pages this is a fast read. It is by turns, poignant, very sad funny and engrossing.

Writing a letter to the departed by death or otherwise is often recommended for healing purposes. This book made that dynamic clearer for me and also gave me insights into the human condition. To me this always makes for a good read.
Melanie
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
This book was a Goodreads giveaway (First Reads). I had expected something completely different than this book. I appreciate the author's desire to give voice to people who weren't able to say what they didn't get a chance to say, but after the first 10 or so pages, I knew what to expect. I managed to finish the book, but I was hoping for more diverse reading and became bored before I finished.
Connie D
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is a serious reminder why we need to tell people how much we love and appreciate them while they're still in our lives. It is full of letters that expose deep feelings of loss as well as the joy of past relationships. I was touched by people's willingness to share and their stories; each letter was a short story with characters I couldn't help but care about.
Whitney
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How could I not give this 5 stars?? It's a book full of letters from people who left things unsaid. I was brought to tears and laughter. I'm now inspired to do my own letter writing to close some hurtful experiences of my past.
Janice
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hooper offered people the chance of writing a letter of something they wish they would have said or done differently for a person in their life. Many touching stories; brought back memories of people in my own life that I knew during a specific time that I have lost contact with. Thought provoking.
Tiffany Leigh
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Jackie!
Maury
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An easy, but important read. It puts life in perspective.
Kimberly
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Read most of the book. Not what I was expecting. Collection of letters people have written. Some were sad others interesting.
Leslie Jonsson
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Letters were beautifully written, but sometimes seemed repetitive. I really enjoyed the letters from older people who reminised about horrible treatment in Nazi Germany.
Joyce
Oct 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this book very sad...
Angela
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sometimes sad, sometimes funny, always thought-provoking. Reminded me that I have a few letters of my own to write.
Michelle
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Liked the idea more than I liked reading it.
Leslie
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hardcover
It is a good book, reminding me about my love ones. It is not good idea to read before go to bed, otherwise you would not could sleep.
Alice
May 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Quick short read. This books gives others a chance to express things that wish they had said.
Maranda
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tears. So many tears. I looked like a jumbled mess after finishing this book.
Taryn
May 17, 2020
Genevieve
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• If You Find This Letter: My Journey to Find Purpose Through Hundreds of Letters to Strangers
  • I Thought It Was Just Me: Women Reclaiming Power and Courage in a Culture of Shame
  • Life Isn't Binary: On Being Both, Beyond, and In-Between
  • The Waste Land and Other Poems
  • Nine Horses
  • New and Selected Poems, Volume One
  • Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • A Wild Sheep Chase (The Rat, #3)
  • The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity