Start by marking “The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)

The Cat, the Mill and the Murder

(A Cats in Trouble Mystery #5)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  930 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
When cat lover and quilter Jillian Hart volunteers to help a local animal shelter relocate a colony of feral cats living in an abandoned textile mill, she never expects to find a woman living there, too. Jeannie went missing from Mercy, South Carolina, a decade ago, after her own daughter’s disappearance.

Jeannie refuses to leave the mill or abandon Boots, her cat who died
Published May 7th 2013 by NAL (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat, the Mill and the Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat, the Mill and the Murder

Sue Ross
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful and sweet mystery!!! It was a mystery over 10 years old. Who was it living in the mill all that time? Why were they there and who were the creepers? Leann Sweeney has done it again. I love the fact that her characters are such pet people and care so much about the ferel cats. Now I'm ready for the next one!!!!
Paul Lunger
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The 5th installment in Leann Sweeney's Cats in Trouble mystery series, "The Cat, the Mill & the Murder" has our heroine Jillian Hart helping out with a colony of feral cats at a local closed mill. There she finds Jeannie who has been missing for more than a decade & then stumbles onto a dead body after Jeannie lands in the hospital due to an accident. Between ghost cats & the usual assortment of characters, Sweeney does one of her better jobs with the story from start to finish as th ...more
Narilka
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
The Cat, the Mill and the Murder is the fifth in Leann Sweeney's Cat's in Trouble series. Jillian Hart is at it again! Jillian has volunteered to help the local animal shelter relocate a large colony of feral cats living in an abandoned textile mill. During the initial visit to the mill to see just how big a job this will be Jillian discovers an old woman living there. Jeannie had gone missing a decade ago after her own daughter ran away and she refuses to leave. After Jeannie suffers a fall and ...more
FangirlNation
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jillian Hart is back in Leann Sweeney's The Cat, the Mill, and the Murder. There are a lot of feral cats living in the old textile mill in her hometown of Mercy, SC, and Jillian has volunteered to help relocate them. But she and the man who runs the local cat shelter do not expect to find a homeless woman living in the mill. She seems very mentally disturbed, talking about not being able to leave the mill because the fireplace there is a holy place. When Jillian talks to get best friend, Candace ...more
Karen Field
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Cat, The Mill and The Murder is a cosy mystery -- a subgenre of crime fiction where sex and violence is downplayed and the crime is usually solved by a member of the public instead of police officers, detectives and the like.

What attracted me to this story is the ghost cat. I liked the sound of that and felt it would make for a different read (for me, at least). I enjoyed the interaction of the main character and the ghost cat. In fact, I enjoyed the main character's interaction with all th
LORI CASWELL
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
In this fifth installment of the Cats in Trouble series Jillian has volunteered to help relocate a clowder of feral cats from on old mill so the city can help investors revamp the space. She was quite surprised to also find a woman living in the mill. Jeannie went missing from Mercy 10 years ago shortly after her daughter disappeared.

Jeannie has no plans to evacuate the mill where she lives with her cat Boots. She tells Jillian, it is a “holy place” and she must protect it from “creepers”. When
bella
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've enjoyed this series since the first book, The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse. They are intelligent mysteries that seem like they are written with cat lovers in mind. They deal with some tough social issues (including feral cat populations and kitten mills), and they remain one of my favorite cozy mystery series.

That's why when I discover a new one is going to be released I don't hesitate to pre-order it. This is a series I must read on release day!!

The latest in the series, The Cat, the Mill
Ellen
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Cat, the Mill and the Murder

Are you a lover of Cozy mysteries? True Cozies?

Are you right at home and in your element with characters you've grown accustom to and enjoy reading about and being in their company?

Do you appreciate authors who build up to a climax & at the same time evolve relationships with the characters?

If you said "Yes" to any of these questions then this is the author and the cozy (series) for you.

This latest installment in the Cats in Trouble mystery series has Jilli
Sara
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
How does Leann Sweeney just keep getting better!?

I've enjoyed Leann Sweeney's writing since I picked up the first book in the Yellow Rose series. Each entry was better than the last, then she started the Cats In Trouble series so of course I had to follow! I was hooked from the first book and this latest entry did not disappoint!

Jillian Hart is helping her friend Shawn with the feral cat colony in an old mill...yes, she wants to save the cats and trapping them is the best option, but her interes
Laurie Garrison
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By far, this is the best book out of this series for me. I love the detail the author took in writing about the mill and the town. I live in a town that had a mill almost like this and it too had a small village along with it. This is a great way to introduce our mill history that is now long gone since so much outsourcing and people buying so many products from other seas other than American textiles. I myself can remember a time when theses mills were still producing America jobs. Sad. Anyhow, ...more
Heather Jones
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Of the five "Cats in Trouble" books I've read so far, this is my favorite. I loved the way Sweeney pairs a long-forgotten murder with a just-now-happening murder. I was a little skeptical about her inclusion of a ghost cat into a series that, until now, hasn't had any hint of the supernatural. You can't just switch genres like that! But Boots the Ghost Cat is endearing, and I found that I accepted the little ghost's presence pretty easily once I got into the book.

These books are light and sweet
Ian
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of cozy murder mysteries.
Cat lover and expert on the textiles industry, Jillian finds herself helping to clear out an old textiles mill of feral cats. While there she discovers an old homeless woman and the skeletal remains of a young girl. With the help of a ghost cat (Boots) which adopts her, she is on the trail of the young woman's killer and determined to help the old woman find a home.

The Cat, the Mill and the Murder is pretty much a lesson in what a cozy murder mystery should be. It's the sort of book you read by
Amy
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a 10 year old mystery that had never been solved. Who is living in the mill? Where did the body come from? Start out with one murder, but a second occurs.
This was a beautiful story with people really caring and that made the characters so real.
Also love the cats being such a big part of the story.
Linda Collings
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I don't believe in ghosts but thought the ghost cat was a cute addition to the story.
Regan
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay...I know I said one of the earlier books was the best in the series, but this one blew by it. Great read! LOVED Boots and hope we see her again...maybe reincarnated?
Anne-Kathrine
On Note 2.
Again enjoyed this book in this series :)
Aurian Booklover
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The local textile mill in Mercy, South Carolina, has been abandoned for many years now, and is slowly falling apart. And now, suddenly, two different investor groups have plans for the refurbishing of the old place, and the Mercy Council will have to decide which plan has the most benefit for the town. To find that out, they have hired a young architect to study the mill, and recommend what is needed to convert the old place in condo’s or a mill museum with shops. But first, they will have to re ...more
Lainey
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoy this series of books being a quilter, multiple cat owner, with cats with medical issues.
This particular book took me longer to get through.
A run down mill is in the process of being bought by investors, feral cats need to be safely removed from the building when a squatter is found living in the mill. Removal of the squatter reveals a long dead body that needed to be investigated. Then another murder occurs.
To "help" solve the murders, the squatters ghost cat appears to the Main Charact
Delcesca Newby
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
You'd think I'd have a hard time with this story since I haven't read the first four, but it was easy enough to follow. The author has a simple style I didn't mind, though I would have preferred more from the main character. She was a bit bland, and I think this story would be better if written in third person instead of first.

The mystery was pleasant, and I loved Boots. The main character's cats didn't do much for me. Maybe they're more interesting in the other books, but they could have been
hana
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This time the cat with problems is ... a ghost! And the personal relationships of the protagonist development beautifully.
When cat lover and quilter Jillian Hart volunteers to help a local animal shelter relocate a colony of feral cats living in an abandoned old textile mill, she never expects to find a woman living there, and a dead body.
Brittany ♥♥~Proud Hufflepuff and supporter of S.P.E.W. ~♥♥
This is by far my favorite book of the series so far. I mean there is just so much going on! It took me a bit longer to read than normal due to some severe allergy issues but it was such a good book i may have to turn around and read it again! Can't wait to see what happens to Jillian in the next book.
Amy
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Gotta day not my favorite in the series but still a good read. Oddly enough I had The Who done it figured out fast, but it was still a good book. I hope we get to find out more about Jeanie...maybe she’ll make a guest appearance. I
Rebecca
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
OH, THIS was fun! I especially love the "visiting" cat (any cat not one of the regulars). Dive into this book and you will learn just why it got my attention! Those who know me will say, "Oh, well of COURSE she ate this up with a spoon!"
Marietta Slater
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I like the series, but I disliked this book immensely Introducing the ghost cat that only Jillian (and one other) can see was crazy. It just didn't fit the character or the rest of the series. I'm glad that I didn't start with this book or I would have read the previous ones..
D
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
My first read by this author is a very interesting story. The compassionate way the main character, Jillian Hart, treats Jeannie, the homeless woman, shows a wonderful and caring personality. The devastating tragedy Jeannie has suffered is heart wrenching. I have really enjoyed reading this book.
Snap
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The whole series has been fun, but this one has topped them all. Sweeney does her homework on mills in the south. It's a tearjerker. Lots of help from one very very special cat.
Michele
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Old textile mills, now defunct, greed, cats, innocent people, political posturing and bits of gossip all make for a great read. I can never figure out who the murderer is until revealed.
Christine Hayes
For me this book had a much different feel than the others. I didn't enjoy it as much.
Judy Hallstrom
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your usual cat book

Clever and a great mystery story. Yes cats play role. Within the context of the book the cats are essential to the story without becoming the story.
Linda
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I loved Boots the cat. I wish he could have stayed with Jillian's clowder, but it seems appropriate that he stayed with Jeannie.
  • Cat Trick (A Magical Cats Mystery, #4)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Out of Circulation (Cat in the Stacks, #4)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • Kneading to Die (Pawsitively Organic Mysteries, #1)
  • Lending a Paw (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #1)
  • Dangerous Alterations (A Southern Sewing Circle, #5)
  • Murder, She Barked (Paws and Claws Mystery, #1)
  • Topped Chef   (Key West Food Critic Mystery #3)
  • Murder of the Cat's Meow (A Scumble River Mystery, #15)
  • Not the Killing Type (Booktown Mystery, #7)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • A Custom-Fit Crime (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #4)
Leann Sweeney was born and raised in Niagara Falls and educated at St. Joseph's Hospital and Lemoyne College in Syracuse, NY. She also has a degree from the University of Houston in behavioral science and worked for many years in psychiatry. Currently a school nurse, she began writing about fifteen years ago, fulfilling her lifelong dream. After perfecting her writing skills with classes and a sma ...more

A Cats in Trouble Mystery (8 books)
  • The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • The Cat, the Wife and the Weapon (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat, the Vagabond and the Victim (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat, the Sneak and the Secret (A Cats in Trouble Mystery #7)
  • The Cat, The Collector and the Killer (A Cats in Trouble Mystery #8)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Shadow District
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Play Dead (Elise Sandburg Series Book 1)
  • The Weight of Lies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief Taker (The Thief Taker, #1)
  • The Things We Wish Were True
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adversary (A Chris Bruen Novel Book 1)
  • Daisy in Chains
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Jury Master (David Sloane, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Look Behind You (Kendra Michaels, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Wayward (Wayward Pines, #2)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Social Death
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder at the Flamingo (A Van Buren and DeLuca Mystery #1)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Wings Of Fire (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #2)
  • Pretty Dead
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Mother Knows Best (A Margie Peterson Mystery)
  • Damage Control
  • The North Water
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Watchers Of Time (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #5)
  • Bone River
    $3.99 $0.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
  • Jaws
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
  • Blacklands
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Prisoner of Heaven (Cemetery of Forgotten Books, #3)
  • The Romanov Cross
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Krakow
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
  • A Purple Place for Dying: A Travis McGee Novel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Dead Water (Shetland Island, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • The Newsmakers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Intrusion (A Chris Bruen Novel)
  • Brighton
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Widow's Watcher
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Livia Lone (Livia Lone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs, #6)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • A Blood Thing
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Baltimore Blues  (Tess Monaghan, #1)
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Girl in the Moss (Angie Pallorino, #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Grace
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Carved in Bone (Body Farm, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Map of Bones (Sigma Force, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only the Innocent (DCI Tom Douglas #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Dead Aim (Eve Duncan, #4.5)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blazing Summer (Darling Investigations, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Of Power (Paul Madriani, #9)
    $7.74 $1.99
  • The God's Eye View
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • Abandon
  • The Things you find in Rockpools
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Through the Fog (Evan, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • Up Country
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Surrogate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Teacher (DS Imogen Grey, #1)
  • Lies That Bind Us