Start by marking “Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum, #1)

Bronze Gods

(Apparatus Infernum #1)

Hy Breasil is grimmer than it used to be.

Before the Architect closed the door, there were regular crossings, and a great war decimated both humans and Ferishers. The native fae who refused to treat with the invaders faded; their bodies withered and died, stranding them as hungry, angry spirits that haunt the countryside.

That means there’s always trouble brewing in Dorstaad
Mass Market Paperback, 322 pages
Published April 30th 2013 by Ace

Emily May
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk, 2013

I think, rather than write out a lengthy review of all the reasons why this book is awesome and you should be reading it, I'm going to just list some questions instead and let your answers guide you into the loving pages of this fantastic steampunk mystery!

Do you like beautiful writing?
Do you like it when the writing creates such a vivid atmosphere that you feel as if you've been pulled into a completely different time, place and reality? When the words flow like lyrics to an old favourite song
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Hmm, let's see: steampunk noir, fantastic worldbuilding, characters I fell in love with almost instantly, crime scenes worthy of Patricia Cornwell, clockwork, LOTS of sexual tension and a heart-stopping conclusion. All in a single book, my friends.

Centuries ago in a land called Hy Breasil, native Ferishers and strayed humans saw marriage as a way to stop the war between their two races. Sons and daughters of the two great Courts married the conquerors in an attempt to save themselves fr
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2019
The amount of time I spent raving while reading this about how it was written could probably have been spent finishing this book faster. But I was full of rage. So instead I ranted for days.
Felicia
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Keertana
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Keertana by: Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I honestly cannot re-call a time when I have sat down at my computer, poised to type out a review, and felt the urge to regurgitate word vomit. Until, that is, now. When it comes to Bronze Gods, my love can only be expressed in mere words; phrases strung together to make coherent sense will fail dramatically, I fear. (And yet, in the threat of being seen as an absolutely insane blogger, I will attempt to regurgitate type out something that makes sense. Remotely.)

At first glance,
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

What an offbeat, curious little novel. I wasn’t surprised to discover that it was a Victorian-inspired steampunk urban fantasy type mystery, but it’s the other little pleasures thrown in that endeared me to this book. The sprinkling of magical elements combined with other fantasy aspects make the world of Bronze Gods more special and enchanting.

Meet Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko, a detective team for the Criminal Inv
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
There is a reason why I rarely give in to hype. Sometimes a book surprises me and I wonder why I waited. Not the case here. I heard a lot about Bronze Gods and at the time, since it was all praise, I didn't get the urge to read it. I am not sorry for reading it though. The world holds so much promise that I really want to read the next book and follow this series.

The first half is slow. Sometimes authors start info-dumping here, but here you have the opposite. You just get glimpses of pretty mu
C.M.J. Wallace
Jun 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
WARNING: Contains spoilers

Whenever I review a book, I come at it from an editorial perspective because I’m a medical editor and the habit’s ingrained. If the editing’s poor, it’ll jerk me right out of the book, and if the problems are irritating enough, they taint the entire book for me. Unfortunately, Bronze Gods fell into the badly edited category, so before I talk about the story line I must indulge in a short rant! (For those who prefer to remain rant free, skip the next paragraph.)

Ellipses
Rebecka
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was not worth my time, my money, my anything. 1,5 stars, brutally rounded down.

It's not a terrible book, by no means, it's OK-written, but it's just through and through boring, lacking more or less everything I look for in a book. There's a murder story (why do I keep reading those?), there are two investigators who are colleagues but who supposedly develop some chemistry after working together for a couple of years, and there's an odd world.

The odd world is the only thing I approve of. T
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

This book has been on my bookshelf for what seems like forever and I feel terrible for not reading this until now because it’s an amazing book! The author is actually Ann Aguirre, a favorite author of mine who has written some of my favorite characters and her husband, Andres. This duo has really created a wonderful world here. It’s Steampunk noir with a touch of a Urban Fantasy feel and some romance thrown in. You really get a bit of everything in this story!

The entire series is based on Janu
Heidi
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four Stars: An engaging and entertaining mystery with an amazing duo!

For Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko, it is proving to be anything but business as usual. Tonight, the inspector team has been assigned to investigate the disappearance of a young lady from one of the powerful Houses. From the get go, Mikani senses something isn't right with this case. Before they know it, they are in deep! The young lady turns up murdered in a bizarre machine made of mirrors. It isn't a good thing to anger the
Lindsay
It pains me to give this a 1 star rating. I love Ann Aguirres writing and the worlds that she builds, but this just fell flat. The writing is overly complicated (maybe that's just me) and the pacing is slow. I'm not going to give up on this author though!
Sandra
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I round up to 4 stars provided the next one delivers a bit more of Mikani's story and keeps the good in this one. Well written, I liked the characters a lot and love their investigation. Action is not her strong but she does convey the fear. This series has meant something fresh and light (but the first 15%) and I do value that. Slow romance but that means interest in the next book at least.
I'll be reading Silver Mirrors soon.
Crappy Morse review. I know. Sorry, no time left.
mich
May 09, 2013 marked it as dnf
Elegant and mature writing, an intriguing synopsis, two likeable main characters and yet...I’m bored. I’m having a really hard time getting into this one. I’m not giving up completely, but I'll be putting this book aside for now -- I will try to finish it later, maybe when I’m feeling a little more patient.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
4.5

So. Freaking. Good.

Is it fair that I'm already unhappy there is no sequel when this has been out less than 6 weeks? Yes? Do I care? No. I need more of Mikani's veneer of insouciance-but-not-really, and his effortless derring-do; more of Ritsuko's clam intellect, unending drive, and levelheadedness. And I need it NOW.

And to end it like that?! NOT COOL, AGUIRRES. Not cool.
Amy
Have second book in hand. Is it bad to hope my husband falls asleep early tonight so I can hang with Mikani and Ritsuko again?
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Stuti by: readers who aren't distracted by shiny things
4.5

Let's talk about awesomeness.

Being very nearly awesome, I can give you some very helpful insight into the world of awesomeness, but I think I should let Celeste Ritsuko and Janus Mikani of the Criminal Investigation Department(CID) help you.

Ritsuko and Mikani live in an old, gold world of magic that's gone peek-a-boo, with only a hint here and sometimes more there.

It's a world that was drafted, written about ten years ago. Mighty old, thus acquiring awesome might over the years. There is atte
The Apparatus Infernum series is written by Ann Aguirre and her husband Andres under the pen name A.A. Aguirre. I'm a fan of Ann Aguirre's writing style and I love steampunk so of course I was drawn to this series and I'm so glad I found it. The authors have created an interesting world that is set in a different realm, one where originally ruled by the Ferishers (fae type immortals) but invaded by humans. The Ferishers were more powerful but the humans had numbers and technology on their side a ...more
Tabitha
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Verbal sparring with a velvet touch

Bronze Gods features a male and female inspector duo set in a fantasy world that is reminiscent of Victorian England but is most definitely a unique world all its own. I wouldn’t call this steampunk but it did have that sort of steamy, gaslit punk flair to it as there is a melding of magic and technology that creates something new. Magic-gas-punk? Oh, dear that won’t do either, sounds like a an extreme gastro intestinal upset. I honestly don’t know how to accur
Olivia ツ
Didn't finish. No rate.

I'm officially throwing in the towel on this one. It's too bad because I was really looking forward to its release. It was too dense for my mood right now and it turned out to be a murder-mystery. I'm not much a fan of mysteries or crime books. Just not my thing. I also expected more steampunk but that was lacking. There were some gadgets and motor cars thrown in but it didn't have the steampunk feel of some other books I've read. Or maybe I've just read the wrong books.
Dr susan
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am so glad that I saw Bronze Gods on a 'suggested' list on Amazon. I got it from my local library, hoping for an enjoyable read, and found a wonderful, unexpected gem of a book. The world building is awesome; the characters and story grab your attention (and heart) and do not let go. As soon as I finished, I knew I would be buying my own copy. I checked, and the sequel Silver Mirrors will be out May 2014 which is a very long time to wait. I highly recommend this book; Bronze Gods has mystery, ...more
Ben Babcock
I hadn’t heard anything about this book before I snagged it from my library’s new books shelf, which surprises me. I would have thought that one of the book blogs I read would have featured it at some point. Bronze Gods sounds like, and indeed is, a very original and refreshing voice in fantasy. Its authors (Ann and Andres Aguirre, who together form a writing name that is sure to be as close to the beginning of the shelf as possible) have written a fairly standalone novel that nevertheless kicks ...more
Karen
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Final rating 4.5 stars

Grimspace (Sirantha Jax #1) was the first Ann Aguirre book that I read. I did not like sci-fi. I now love reading sci-fi.. Then I heard she was writing a YA dystopian – Enclave (Book #1 in the Razorland trilogy). I was desperate to read that book and see what she could do with YA and it’s now one of my all time favorite series. My point is that I think Ann Aguirre can write any genre and knock it out of the park.

I was excited for Bronze Gods because this was Ann's first for
Shara
May 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: no-longer-own
As a huge fan of Ann Aguirre's work, I was really looking forward to this joint project with her husband. However, as I read, I found myself completely unengaged, to the point that if Aguirre's name wasn't on the cover, I would've slapped a DNF label on this. It's hard to put my finger on why: the writing isn't completely generic, nor were the characters nor the setting. But they didn't engage me either. For something that's supposed to be "steampunk noir," this felt more like secondary world ur ...more
Nikki

Well it seems as though I only like Aguirre's Sirantha Jax series as all her other series have thus far failed me. Which is rather annoying since I was actually looking forward to this series.

The biggest issue I had with this novel was the way in which it was written. The writing style felt purposely complicated and unnecessarily wordy, almost with an air of self-importance. Which I found funny in a way considering how many typical elements the authors (husband-wife team) chose to incl
Melindeeloo
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
There weren't a great deal of steampunk elements in this initial foray into the alternate Victorian Bronze Gods world, as the leads Inspectors Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko search for the a murderer who is killing young women from prominent Ferisher (Fae) Houses.

I enjoyed watching Mikani and Ritsuko pound the pavement to solve the high profile case, and that, as they pursue the leads together and individually, there were enough clues that I was able to figure out the 'who done it' along with
Claudia
I absolutely loved this book. I think this was one of the best books I read this year ... no I think it is one of the best books I read!

the story was very complex and the action was very fast paced. all in all was the pacing perfect - it started good and the speed picked up until it exploded at the end

the world building was amazing - the city of Dorstaad is getting alive around you but you never get the feeling that there is too much information or description of something. there were interestin
Jen
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was quite excited to read this book but had a hard time getting into it and through it. The authors failed to "show" me the story but instead merely told a story that didn't have distinguished characters. The dialogue in the story had too many explanations telling you what the characters were doing and these explanations did not add to define the characters nor move the story. Often if a book doesn't grab me in the first chapter then it usually fails to hold my interest and this book did not g ...more
Cathy
I want to write a longer review, and hope I get to it soon, but for now I'll say that it was well-done and fun. I liked the mystery and the chemistry between the inspectors. The world building was a little confusing, it's a hodgepodge of a lot of different mythologies and stories, some work but some seem shoehorned in and a bit odd (Phantom?). But overall it was detailed, really interesting and the characters were just terrific.
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1)
  • Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #3)
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • The Seduction of Phaeton Black (Paranormal Investigator, #1)
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Her Ladyship's Curse (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #1)
  • Gossamer Wing (Steam and Seduction, #1)
  • A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair, #1)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Dead Iron (Age of Steam, #1)
  • Skies of Fire (The Ether Chronicles, #1)
  • A Conspiracy of Alchemists (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl (Gideon Smith, #1)
A.A. Aguirre is the pseudonym for Ann Aguirre & Andres Aguirre, a husband-wife writing team. She specializes in compelling characters; he excels at meticulous worldbuilding. By day, she's a bestselling novelist, and he is a pharmaceuticals tycoon.

Born in Mexico, Andres spent his early years traveling and getting in trouble everywhere else. Along the way, he got a degree from Pepperdine in econ

Apparatus Infernum (2 books)
  • Silver Mirrors (Apparatus Infernum, #2)
“It’s only the beginning. Chase me if you like. Perhaps, if you remain interesting, I’ll even let you catch me.” 14 likes
“As Aurelia knew, women had ever been drawn to dangerous men who whispered in the dark.” 0 likes