Start by marking “How to Draw: Drawing and Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination” as Want to Read:

Published November 15th 2013 by Design Studio Press (first published December 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about How to Draw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Draw

Start your review of How to Draw: Drawing and Sketching Objects and Environments from Your Imagination
Void lon iXaarii
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well, 1.5 years later I finally finished it. Probably the best book in technical perspective I have read. The author is so rigorous! Very impressive effort!

Ironically the reason it took me so long to finish it was that the more I read and was impressed with his iron discipline it presented the more I felt it was worthwhile to return to the 3D gfx I had abandoned years ago. Funny when you think about it, that a great drawing book would push me away from drawing, but I guess it fits with my
Jim
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The go-to book for any question about how to draw anything in perspective.
Min Htet  Swam
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Great book on perspective drawing but dense and lot of information to take in. It’s a great book if you want to do technical drawing like mech, buildings and vehicles but unfortunately I can’t tolerate technical drawing so I will just give it 2 stars.
Christian Deleon
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Tough. Written like a textbook, but lacking many answers. Not for the faint of heart. You must practice, practice and practice. But even then this does not teach you how to "design" with a "cool" aesthetic. Hopefully, his upcoming design book will cover this extensively.
Michal
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great book, although the title doesn't describe what it is with great precision - so it's worth having a look inside if this is what you need.

The book focuses on drawing - yes, from your imagination - but almost exclusively those are machines, robots, industrial settings. It puts a lot of emphasis on correctness (in terms of proportions and perspective), so a lot of time is dedicated to getting those right.

The author shares his thoughts on the creative process of conjuring up ideas, which I
James
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Artists wanting to improve their perspective sketching
Shelves: non-fiction, art, diy
I took a look through this book and it's mind-boggling good, I bought a copy. For one thing it covers several forms of perspective not covered in older works as well as more traditional perspective. There is also 10+ hours of video already associated with this book with the possibility of more in the future. These videos can be viewed automatically by a tablet by pointing them at the page in question, neat! You could learn sketching from this book alone and even you're advanced, you will learn ...more
Rodger
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I have no background in the Arts, and I needed to improve my technical sketching skills to better formulate my ideas to paper before going to CAD and final fabrication. The book was basic enough to get me started, and easy enough to read to not lose me. As a self-help book it is OK.
Gabriel
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Gabriel by: i find it myself
Oscar
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chock full of beautiful sketches and plenty of good instruction, this is more of an advanced refresher than for beginners.
Sonya Ball
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent textbook on drawing from imagination! Drawing from imagination is easily the most difficult thing to draw, this book gives sound advice and techniques to simplify drawing from your mind to make sketches become completely realized drawings. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to learn more than just how to draw from life.
Reggie
Jul 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
Awesome book for anyone who is starting to learn to draw from the basics. I actually followed the exercises and realized that - hey, I DO have artistic talent. Now I wish I continued doing the exercises but for someone who is more dedicated they will see a lot of improvement.
Talal Hassouba
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
good
Ravishing_rick
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
ayanami
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book if you want to learn to draw objects in perspective, but the caveat of course is that with all drawing books, you must actually take the time to do each exercise to truly get it. I find that most artists understand the concept of perspective but to actually draw it accurately is a whole other thing. Scott Robertson's techniques will teach you how to draw not only accurately, but quickly, once you understand how it all works and learn his method. Again, it's very ...more
Jessica
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-instruction
I wish this book came as a book/DVD combo. It's much easier for me to learn from videos, but the videos included with this book didn't cover all of the book's content.

That said, there are lots of interesting tips here that I haven't found in other books: mirroring planes/curves; estimating rotation when drawing freehand; making grids using ellipses; wrapping labels around curved surfaces; etc.
nerveblot
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A superb book on effectively using perspective for constructing 3D shapes in pen. Its general approach is technical but also practical-minded, and seems intended for someone interested in concept art or similar industries. Very usefully illustrated.
Dooz
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An excellent, thorough resource. I've never seen such an in depth examination of perspective. I would recommend this as something for the serious artist, but perhaps not, say, for your niece who likes to draw sometimes.
James
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Many great ideas. This is a very advanced book but it does have some good starting points for me. I'll have to get it again when I'm better.
Andrew Runkle
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Picked up a few things about perspective that weren't covered in art school. Very well organized with accompanying video tutorials/summaries.
Terry
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technical
Very well explanation with perspective.
Fel

• Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
  • Digital Painting Techniques
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • Picture This: How Pictures Work
  • Drawn to Life: 20 Golden Years of Disney Master Classes: Volume 1: The Walt Stanchfield Lectures
  • The Art of Borderlands 2
  • Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)
  • Successful Drawing
  • Alla Prima: Everything I Know about Painting
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • Constructive Anatomy
  • Drawing on the Artist Within
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels