Start by marking “Shipping Greatness: Practical lessons on building and launching outstanding software, learned on the job at Google and Amazon” as Want to Read:

Need a shortcut to a degree in shipping great software? Successful team leaders must have an extremely broad skill set to find the right product, work through a complex and ever-changing development process, and do it all incredibly quickly. In this guide, Chris Vander Mey provides a simplified, no-BS approach to the entire software lifecycle, distilled from lessons he lea ...more
Published September 3rd 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published July 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Shipping Greatness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shipping Greatness

Mirek Kukla
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
"Shipping Greatness" is a guide to 'shipping software' in the broadest possible sense. Chris Mey walks you through the software development process from start to finish, and it’s readily apparent that he knows what he’s talking about. As far as content is concerned, then, the book is pretty comprehensive. Unfortunately, when it comes to presentation, "Shipping Greatness" comes up short. This is a how-to guide where the author just can't seem to decide on who his target audience is. As a result, ...more
Vincent Tsao
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Plenty of insightful nuggets in this comprehensive guide to shipping software, with a healthy dose of sharp wit poking both business and tech. It's ironic that I read 75% of the book after leaving a PM role at Amazon, but the content was still relevant and my own experience added extra depth to the concepts. The key takeaway of the book is that, as a product lead, your goal is to ship the product, warts and all. Shipping is about managing tradeoffs and "done is better than perfect". The author d ...more
Siyu
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I should start this book much earlier. It is a very good guidance for product manager who just breaks into this position and walks through the pm skills. However, it is more for shipping software product, especially for google and amazon because the author worked a lot in these companies. Might agree with everything listed here inside of this book as a PM with two years past experience at Oracle. Still, a very useful and practical book for a new pm.
Mr RB
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting and great at certain points
Aaron
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good summary of fundamentals of PMing. Geared towards large companies.
Saurabh
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I think Shipping Greatness is a decent attempt at explaining the nuts and bolts of the software industry. Unfortunately it does not comprehensively explain the product engineering process in detail explaining how to set up the development ecosystem like setting up version control software, setting up incident management, the designing process in a little more detail. Its more like a business guide for engineers or a technical guide for managers. Matter of fact I believe Chris got confused when i ...more
Cliff Chew
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is quite a light read, but the content is pretty useful for someone who is interested in software development, but who doesn't have any technical background to understand the deep details of it all. You can also read it for general knowledge or for fun, because the author does provide many interesting stories about his time at Amazon and Google.
Eric Franklin
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm biased because I know Chris AND I'm a Product Manager at Amazon but I was honestly impressed by this practical book on Product Management for techies. It's filled with solid advice for what it means to own all the aspects of customer experience - from feature performance and scalability, to user interface and analytics.
Mark
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't really care for this book or get much out of it, but I'm also clearly not the target audience of the book, as I'm not a team lead or in charge of shipping anything. Maybe I'll read it again if I ever find myself in such a role, but my guess is there's a bunch of other better books out there on this topic.
Bill Brown
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ipad
This book packs in a lot of great information, and the author's pedigree couldn't be better. (That is, unless he had spent a tour at Facebook as well.) It was a fairly quick read for me since I've been doing product for the last eight years now and it's geared for a non-development audience.
Scott
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book. I would definitely recommend to any product manager as a tactical manual for day to day operations.
Adam Epstein
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
A little too technical and I found it to be dated
Jose Papo
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book with the experiences and practices of a professional who worked for Amazon and Google. Many practices that I really use at amazon!
Dave
Jan 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Talking with Tech Leads
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Microservice Patterns
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing
  • The Healthy Programmer
  • Analysis Patterns: Reusable Object Models
  • Planning Extreme Programming
  • Just Enough Software Architecture: A Risk-Driven Approach
  • Quantifying the User Experience: Practical Statistics for User Research
  • Notes to a software team leader
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • JavaScript Allongé: A strong cup of functions, objects, combinators, and decorators
  • Interactive Data Visualization for the Web
  • Agile Testing: A Practical Guide for Testers and Agile Teams
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Software Architecture for Developers: Volume 1 - Technical leadership and the balance with agility
  • UX for Lean Startups

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »