Start by marking “The Best Advice I Ever Got on Marriage: Transforming Insights from Respected Husbands and Wives” as Want to Read:

More than 20 of today's Christian authors, speakers, and entertainers relay their joys and fears, their triumphs and failures-and the advice that got them through-in this inspiring collection from Focus on the Family and Worthy Publishing. The names of these husbands and wives, like their experiences, will be familiar to anyone who's ever said 'I do.' But the transforming ...more
Published October 9th 2012 by Worthy Publishing (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Advice I Ever Got on Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Advice I Ever Got on Marriage

Start your review of The Best Advice I Ever Got on Marriage: Transforming Insights from Respected Husbands and Wives
Mark
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
While there is some good advice, it just seemed repetitive. I think it would have been better if they rated the top 2 or 3 for each person or couple and then took the top 7 or 8 and made each one a chapter that they all could comment on if they wanted to. Less repetition and probably more depth to each area.

I don't think I would recommend this book. There are better books that you can get much deeper into that I believe would be more beneficial.
Tyler Collins
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on a car ride to and from Omaha, NE. I really enjoyed it. Each chapter is written by a different person, all of them well-known and respected speakers and authors, and each of them shared the best advice they had ever gotten on marriage. It was easy to listen to but still presented practical and helpful ways for improving one's marriage. I would like to re-read this book with my fiance, Faith, one chapter a week and try to implement the most helpful things we find.
Sandra "Jeanz"
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
MY REVIEW
I received this book along with another from PRByTheBook in exchange for my honest review. The book is a lovely small sized hardback, an ideal gift book. I love the cover, the play on the "bicycle made for two". The book has a lot of religious references and content. I even learnt the actual source of the one piece of advice my grandparents always gave when anyone married in our family. They always said "Never go to bed on an argument" I didn't realise that the saying was actually
Becca Moss
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boring. Nothing spectacular about this book.
Stephen Lubin
Pretty good marriage book. Lots of advice from a lot of different sources. Most of the books I'm finding on marriage have a religious aspect to them. This is from Christian authors and speakers and a lot of bible verses are used to make points and I think it resonated well. The marital issues of today's times are the same ones that people have been dealing with for the last 2000 years. This book has something that will benefit any reader. I don't know which piece of advice I like the best but ...more
Shayla Paige
Took me a while to get through this book. Overall, I felt there was actually some good advice I took away, but for the most part It felt like this advice was aimed towards couples who barely knew each other or who lacked common sense... 2.5/5 stars
Heidi
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a great summary of advice from some of the greatest authors and speakers. I like this book because it introduces me to authors and even more books to read about relationships.
Diana Nagy
Change your marriage for the better with The Best Advice I Ever Got on Marriage. Jim Daly is the president of Focus on the Family. His books are always good and he always has the best advice to offer. You always learn something new and get a better perspective when you pick up one of his books. I like this book because it shows what he does to ensure his successful marriage stays great! I have a great marriage and I have used a lot of the advice in this book without reading this book. But ...more
JLynn
Mar 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is short, which is nice. It wasn't a big commitment or investment of time. I felt like it dealt in a lot of stereotypes about men and women and felt like it didn't really have anything new or interesting to say. Because it had multiple contributors, some of the advice was repeated from chapter to chapter.

Maybe it was the narrator (or the particular contributors), but it just had a churchy feel that bothers me in Christian books. I wish I had looked at the contributors ahead of time. I
Taka Sande
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Compiled by Jim Daly, this is indeed the ‘collection of the best advice I ever got on marriage.’

The contributors are reputable Christian leaders from different organisations. They range from church leaders, a musician, management gurus and even the disabled. Each of them brings in new ideas to make a Christian marriage work. This made the chapters to be unique and independent.

We read a chapter of this book with my wife in the evenings. The common threat with each contributor is serving and
Barbara M
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inspirational book about how to nurture one another in marriage. Each chapter contains insights from a different expert. The contributors include motivational speakers, psychologists, family therapists, etc. They all have been happily married for a long time! It's an enjoyable book to read and contains lots of good advice for keeping a marriage strong, healthy and happy!
Kara Beal
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Although the author is Jim Daly, the book is actually a collection of advice from other people. Because the advice comes from a selection of people, some of the advice fit my style and some didn't. But the book was short (always a plus!) and it was a good reminder of several ways I can be kinder and more supportive of my husband.
Soy Boy James
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
This is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to read when I got engaged: Varied pieces of marriage advice from diverse Christian minds, well organized and easily digestible.

Totally recommend to anyone interested in getting married soon - or improving the marriage they already have.
Brooke (i blog 4 books)
Absolutely fabulous! Tons of practical advice on building a strong marriage from some of the leading Christian marriage and family experts. I want to go back and read this book slowly (with my husband!), discuss the chapters, and evaluate how I'm doing in each of these areas. I highly recommend!
Rachel
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Each chapter is written by a different well known christian author (Like Andy Stanley, Ken Blanchard, Gary Smalley etc.). Much of it is wise words for all relationships. Rented the audio book from the library and really enjoyed it's content.
Kelli
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a really good book to read about marriage: single, engaged, or married. It's a compilation so it doesn't feel stale. Each perspective is wise and intuitive. It's knowledge that we all need.
James
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book - a lot of fantastic and applicable advice.
Michelle
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, marriage
A bit uneven, as most anthologies are, but some solid advice for married couples (whether Christian or not).
Kim Birum
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Some good advice. Would I want to be married to me?
Jordan
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love getting fresh perspectives. This is in great bite size chunks and easy for a couple to read together.
Katie

• The Way I Heard It
  • Real Marriage: The Truth About Sex, Friendship, and Life Together
  • Invisible Influence: The Hidden Forces that Shape Behavior
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • Thirst: A Story of Redemption, Compassion, and a Mission to Bring Clean Water to the World
  • Greater Than the Sum of Our Parts: Discovering Your True Self Through Internal Family Systems Therapy
  • Transformation through Intimacy: The Journey toward Awakened Monogamy
  • Walking in the Dust of Rabbi Jesus: How the Jewish Words of Jesus Can Change Your Life
  • Four Portraits, One Jesus: A Survey of Jesus and the Gospels
  • Spiritual Bypassing: When Spirituality Disconnects Us from What Really Matters
  • The Sermon on the Mount
  • The Wisdom Way of Knowing: Reclaiming an Ancient Tradition to Awaken the Heart
  • Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading
  • What Do We Do with the Bible
  • Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile
Jim Daly(born July 22, 1961) is the head ofFocus on the Family, an internationalChristiancommunications ministry based inColorado Springs, Colorado. Daly is also the main host of the Focus on the Family radio program.

Daly grew up inSouthern California. He was abandoned by his alcoholic father at age 5, and orphaned by his mother's death fromcancerwhen he was 9. He was then placed in a foster home,