Start by marking “Be a Free Range Human: Escape the 9-5, Create a Life You Love and Still Pay the Bills” as Want to Read:

For Marianne Cantwell, Free Range Humans are "a growing tribe, easily spotted by the smiles on their faces on Monday mornings." They are people that have figured out what they want to do with their lives and they are doing it, right now. They choose when, where and how they work, and get paid to do what makes them come alive. They have decided to live their life every day,
Published February 15th 2013 by Kogan Page (first published January 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Be a Free Range Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a Free Range Human

Frances
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a well written, nicely presented book with plenty of exercises for the reader to do to help clarify their own aspirations and goals. There are numerous examples of people who have done just what it says on the cover.
That said, I have marked it down compared to other reviewers for the following reasons
- focuses largely on professional, well educated people who have some degree of financial stability behind them. People who have manual jobs and little education can dream of changing their
J.F. Penn
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneur
(I'm already a free-range human so this is preaching to the converted, but I still enjoyed it!)

This book is a great primer for people who are considering stepping out of the corporate world, the traditional career ladder and aiming to make a living doing something they love. You can still earn good money but the focus is more on life wealth, on how you spend your short time on the planet. Marianne walks the talk, living the free-range life, so she is the perfect guide to this way of life. I par
Claire Noonan
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was expecting it to be good as I am familiar with the author's work (we were budding writers together as teenagers) but what I wasn't exactly expecting was to be THIS excited and inspired by the book! I feel empowered to rearrange my life and to encourage others in rearranging theirs. I will be recommending this book to lots of people. It is good reading, flows easily and is full of real life examples. I like the links and all the stories and tips. Fantastic! Love your work Marianne!
BLACK CAT
Marketing digital products and living anywhere.
I would suggest instead Tim Ferris or Chris Guillebeau.

Some good ideas from the book:
Do it.
Start small but start.
Do all the things you like.
Carpe Diem.
Kony
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Feeling caged in your cubicle? Got a creative streak, a rebellious streak, and marketable skills? This book might be for you. Equal parts spunky and blunt, Marianne Cantwell breaks down the mental and practical steps you need to break free and make your own indie career. The written exercises are super-helpful, first getting you to articulate what you really want (but haven't dared to hope for), and then gradually fleshing out the practicalities so that you begin to see your path from A to B. Lo ...more
Darren Turpin
Quick Overview

A practical guide to personal fulfilment through career-change that emphasises the need for imagination, passion, hard work and commitment. No empty promises or get-rich-quick schemes here, but if you’re serious about making a major change and escaping a career rut, then Marianne Cantwell’s book might be just the catalyst you’ve been searching for,

Full Review

Marianne Cantwell broke out of her cubicle cage, transformed her life and now eschews the daily commute and soul-destroying o
Merel Claes
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smoothly, informally written book by Marianne. I came in contact with Marianne’s blog back in 2012 when I just got out of an office job. I got a copy of the book when it came out in 2013 but only got to read it diagonally back then. Four years later, as a free range human, it was great to read Marianne’s approach again.

The main message in this book should be that when you want to have a fulfilling life, you must build on your unique personality. Leave behind expectations others have about you (
Janet
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific book which has helped me finally start acting on the plans I've had for years to stop being resigned to working in cubicle-land and start crafting my own work based on my natural strengths and what I love doing. Cantwell addresses both the emotional and the practical aspects of going Free Range, and her enthusiasm for the subject, combined with her own success and that of the people in her case studies, make for inspirational reading.

I would recommend this book to anyone who w
Size15stylist
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I spotted an article about the book in a magazine last year, with a free chapter offer, and the writing is so engaging I needed to read more.I have this book on my Kindle and smartphone and a much-highlighted, corner-turned paperback.

BAFRH is a great either to read all the way through, or a dipper for those brief five minutes we have in our days. The exercises are designed to help you find what will make you happy in your career, and Marianne's friendly style suggests it's absolutely fine to re
Anna Lundberg
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book - especially if you're at the beginning of your independent career journey. A lot of points resonated strongly with me, and I liked the author's approach, which is quite informal. The second half or so of the book was nothing new for me given that I work in digital marketing but it can be helpful to newbies who want concrete tips on how to promote their new business. Well worth the read, particularly if you're just beginning to think about an alternative career path.
Garrett Rodgers
Jun 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few books brought tears...

Few books brought tears to my eyes and now "Free Range" joins that list. It's an entirely different way of living your life from the professional perspective. I have always had trouble following orders and holding jobs (my longest JUST ended after a year), but this book puts into perspective, "why?". If travel and/or being your own boss is your aim, this is a must read.
GONZA
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a good and inspiring self-help book written by a coach and I hope it will soon be translated because it really gives good tips and insights.

Bel libro,chiaro e scritto da un coach veramente ispirato. Spero venga presto tradotto perchè fornisce ottimi suggerimenti e tecniche attuative.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND KOGAN PAGE FOR THE PREVIEW
Amy Snow O'Connell
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was so reassuring! It helpfully asks questions of the reader and sets tasks. It's designed to help uncover the readers true talents and what will really make them happy, all the while keeping their cool and not dashing off with a half-baked idea. I will definitely return to it again!
Petra Slade
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book a few years back when in my office job but didn't read it until now.
I escaped the 9 to 5 thanks to a coaching training I did and thanks to following my hearts wishes despite the uncertainty and fear.

This book is well written and fun to read. It asks you a lot of questions to get you started. There are plenty of exercises to guide you to towards fulfilling adventurous life doing what you love. You will find a lot of inspiration from others, advice, resources and guidance.

If y
Alistair Miller
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for those of you who want to escape the conventional lifestyle of working for a boss, picking up a salary. There is a nice blend of inspiration, encouragement and genuinely useful practical advice. It is the latter which I found the most useful as you can get plenty of books which offer just positivity without any real content. There are plenty of tips in here which I am contemplating using for the working lifestyle I want to commit to.
Wendy
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This is a fun read, in addition to being a book about how to get out of the drudgy work cage. It doesn’t always mean leaving your job, by the way. There’s just lots of ideas in here about how you can change your perspective and do something alongside your job if you want to. If you are dead cert for having a plan to go ‘free range’ it also gives you lots of ideas for this too. It also encourages you to think about work based fun - what a concept!
Kelly
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EXTREMELY inspiring and practical. This is a book that will show much wear in the year to come as I refer to it again and again. I am so thrilled it found me. The exercises are very (sometimes painfully) thought provoking, yet necessary to digging deeper and to understanding Ms. Cantwell's message. Don't skip them!
Kristin
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good advice and motivational.
Jen
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will be buying a copy of this book!
Nanette
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent Read, with realistic tips
Cory Huff
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-goal
In the vein of career books for nonconformists, this is more useful on a practical level and less inspirational than others.

This book is more aimed at the corporate job type who is looking to leave and do something more fulfilling or flexible.

If you are already a scanner/multipod/renaissance soul, you may want to look elsewhere.
Susan
I didn't know this was a thing. I thought the options were: employed, or self-employed in some kinda consistent business. Reading this book excites the hell out of me!! This is what I am looking for! I'm so here there and everywhere, such a dabbler, a dreamer, and wanting to travel while earning a great income and being in control of my day. I'm self motivated, and a self developer. So im like where has this book been all my life??!! Ive been searching for someone to say, this crazy idea you hav ...more
Michael Ronn
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure about this book at first, but from page one, I loved it. It totally affirmed many of the concepts I've been thinking about over the last year that I wasn't sure how to put into action. This will definitely help me on my quest to become a free range human.

There's so much good content in this book. And yes, the exercises really do work. A few parts that really resonated with me were converting your weaknesses into strengths (blew my mind), portfolio career, and the idea of prototype
giselayvonne
Feb 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I bought a copy for my mother: she is more of the entrepreneurial type and I know she will get more out of this than me. That said, it is a better read for people who are already considering trying their own business.
Mohamed
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very nice book. It motivates free ranger work style.
Stuart Haresnape
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Generally good advice and definitely a book to read if you are low on energy and need a bit of inspiration.
Geoff Nicholson
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great book, well written and I loved the authors sense of humour. It has some great ideas on how to live a life you love
Paula Stokes
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All. The. Stars.
Colin Price
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was just what I needed.
AnnMarie
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Inspiring.

• How to Write & Sell Simple Information for Fun and Profit: Your Guide to Writing and Publishing Books, E-Books, Articles, Special Reports, Audio Programs, DVDs, and Other How-To Content
  • The Post Carbon Reader: Managing the 21st Century's Sustainability Crises
  • The Selfish Society: How We All Forgot to Love One Another and Made Money Instead
  • The Crash Course: The Unsustainable Future of Our Economy, Energy, and Environment
  • 101 Weird Ways to Make Money: Cricket Farming, Repossessing Cars, and Other Jobs with Big Upside and Not Much Competition
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • Farmers of Forty Centuries: Organic Farming in China, Korea, and Japan
  • Serve God, Save the Planet: A Christian Call to Action
  • Key Person of Influence (Revised Edition): The Five-Step Method to become one of the most highly valued and highly paid people in your industry
  • Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby
  • How To Live Off-Grid - Journeys Outside The System
  • Gaviotas: A Village to Reinvent the World
  • A Face to the World: On Self Portraits
  • 50 Art Ideas You Really Need to Know
“What if you believed that those characteristics that the beige army (or an 8-year-old kid) say are ‘too weird’ are the very things that deserve to be treasured?” 1 likes