Start by marking “Towering” as Want to Read:
Towering

Towering

High in my tower I sit. I watch the birds fly below, the clouds float above, and the tall green forest stretch to places I might never see.

Mama, who isn't my mother, has kept me hidden away for many years. My only companions, besides Mama, are my books—great adventures, mysteries, and romances that I long to make my reality. But I know that no one will come to save me—my
Published May 14th 2013 by HarperTeen (first published May 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Towering, please sign up.
Ainul Riz Beastly and Bewitched are kind of connected--they both feature Kendra. But it doesn't seem that the others are connected a well. I think you can read…moreBeastly and Bewitched are kind of connected--they both feature Kendra. But it doesn't seem that the others are connected a well. I think you can read each book individually.(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,058 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,506 books — 12,284 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I blame the cover.
Look at the beautiful freaking cover! How could I resist it?
Besides, fairytale retellings are my kryptonite. Unfortunately, I end up sifting through massive amounts of crap in order to find a good one. Towering is a prime example of Crap.
I have to admit that I had fair warning about this one, though.
There are literally hundreds of scathing reviews on Goodreads that beg other readers to stay away from this book.
But did I listen?
No. No, I did not.
Why?
Well, I had just finished ano
Richard Cardenas
She is going to slay this fairy tale!! :DDD
I cannot freaking wait.

EDIT: Cover revealed!

Love. Cannot. Handle. FREAK OUT OVERLOAD!!!

description
Bookworm007
Ohhhhhhhhhh YEAH!!! All hail Alex Flinn: queen of modern fairytale retellings!!!

edit on June 2, 2013

Ok, so I was wrong: Alex Flinn is no longer the Queen of Modern Fairytale Retellings. That spot is now vacant for Marissa Meyer or Melanie Dickerson to claim.

First off, I was SUPER excited to read this, seeing as how Flinn did a fantabulous job with Beastly, A Kiss in Time, (er, not so much with Cloaked), and Bewitching: The Kendra Chronicles.

Unfortunately, that was not the case. Nope, no siree.

Bu
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
I've said it a billion times that I'm a huge sucker for fairytale retellings in the YA world, and I've always felt that YA needed more of that genre. Now Rapunzel is a particular one that I've always wanted to see retold in YA fashion, yet I also know that this fairytale is . . . a tough one to modernize. Believe me, I've attempted it. But still, when I stumbled upon this on Goodreads, I was excited. I'm not a huge fan of Alex Flinn, but I was mainly excited for the fact that there will finally ...more
FULL REVIEW:

I am not a REVIEW yet.... I am just some random thoughts.... don't like me, I am not fully formed :P

2.5 Stars

You guys don't listen too good do you?!

I have always been drawn to the innocence in the classic Rapunzel fairy tale, it harkens back to the much debated “sins of the fathers” theology, and how the child of a woman with pregnancy cravings can become a prisoner to those sins. A mother, heavy with child and likely cranky, has a craving for some leafy greens – depending on the tra
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
I hate to admit it, but clearly, COVER ISN'T EVERYTHING.

I am a big fan of Rapunzel. She's my disney princess. Even when Tangled wasn't out yet, I always always found Rapunzel to be magical, wondrous and very interesting. When I first got a glimpse of this book, I HAD SKY HIGH HOPES. Is it my problem that I set my dreams so high? Oh well.. I guess we can't really have it all, eh?

This book has a damn great cover, I'll give you that. Unfortunately, that's the best thing that I can say about it.

The
Nasty Lady MJ
Nov 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Insta Love Lovers
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: Myself (I ignored the warnings)
To see review click here.

Is it that hard to write a modern day Rapunzel retelling?

Yes and no. I sort of have an idea for one, but I'm not going to write in anytime soon because it currently has five thousand plot holes and probably would be too dark to be mainstream, but whatever. Those who have actually attempted to write one have succeeded somewhat (grant it, I only read two of these retellings and only one has actually sort of succeeded). Towering is not that book.

And yes, we're deviating fro
AH
Towering by Alex Flinn is a retelling of the childhood classic Rapunzel with a few modern twists. The result is a creepy gothic tale complete with ghosts and mysteries. Towering is set in upstate New York in the Adirondacks. The region’s natural beauty combined with its isolation from civilization creates a spooky atmosphere.

Our heroine Rachel has been living in a tower for almost as long as she can remember. She’s 17 years old and has beautiful “golden princess” hair which grows so fast it mus
Elevetha
1.5 stars.

I don't even know. Seriously, this review...my brain, it hurts. It's mostly a stream of consciousness review - be warned.

The problems with this book are abundant and scattered throughout. I mean, I don't even know where to start, it's that confusing. You've got your Rapunzel retelling and your murder/disappearance mystery, kind of, which ties in to the retelling but that's where it gets kinky. So apparently, as far as I can tell, (view spoiler)
Rebecca
Nov 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
**Warning*** This review contains spoilers for the book.

When I first saw Towering, I was very excited to read it. Not only because it has a beautiful cover and a lovely summary, but because I have read some of Flinn's other books and loved them. I'm beginning to think that I have a love/hate relationship with her work, because I enjoyed Beastly (the book and the movie), A Kiss In Time, and Bewitching. If anyone asked me for recommendations for good retellings, I would point them towards those i
bookaholic_kim
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Before anything else, look at that book cover! Towering by Alex Flinn isn't it gorgeous?! It is one of the rare moments when I buy a book just because of the cover and it was on sale so I just can't resist it. And I am not regretting that I bought it. :)

This book didn’t start well for me. It was quite dragged and uninteresting but I pushed myself to read it believing that it will get better and I am so glad that it did. It got better when suspense and mysterious events keeps on piling up and then there are new chara
Amber  ~ The Reading Addict

Like, do you guys have ANY idea how excited I am for this book? BECAUSE I AM REALLY EXCITED OKAY. I need it. Now.
Martha
Rapunzel is my favourite princess fairytale (ok maybe just because of Tangled...) so I was looking forward to reading this book. I think you can do a lot with the Rapunzel tale but this book... was kind of a let down.

I didn't realise that this was written by the author of Beastly at first but now I can see definite pattern with her work, as this book starts off okay, looks promising and the ending is so rushed. The same thing happened with Beastly. I barely had an idea what was going on in the
Sara Saif
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I feel a really strong need to describe this book in one word, an Urdu word to be specific. And that is; Bakwas . Pronounced as “buck”-“vaas”, we use it to describe something that is colossally stupid and makes a grand total of zero sense which is exactly the case with this book. We’re human beings, we’re attracted to bright and shiny and beautiful things (for instance GORGEOUS BOOK COVERS) like flies to filth. Which is why I didn’t even bother to read the premise and dived straight in without ...more
usagi ☆ミ
Okay, guys, I’ll admit: I really liked “Beastly”, and I’ve had the second of the Kendra books sitting in my TBR pile on Mr. Nook for months now, which I heard was pretty good. So to see another fairyretelling by Flinn coming out made me pretty exciting, especially since “Beastly” put some very creative twists on the original “La Belle et Le Bete” tale. However, it was not to be. “Towering” was disappointing in all technical areas. I can’t even claim it as a guilty pleasure read – that’s how bad ...more
Angela
Woah. How did I not know about this?

RAPUNZEL. <3

Hafida
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2017
It's more fun if I'm a teenager but for adult I'm not sure. I like the mystery's atmosphere.
Nemo
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
This book had SO much potential! I feel like it kept building me up to a wonderful ending and then just dropped me.

“If you're not a hero, does that make you a villain?”

This book was completely original, slightly unpredictable and if it wasn't for that ending it would have been great . It was a retelling of Rapunzel, with a twist. It starts out with the typical girl in a tower, remembering her past. Then we see Wyatts point of view and its when things get interesting. He went through an awful
Samantha
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Towering... I was surprised to like this one. My previous read by Flinn was rated not more than average, so I didn't really expect to love it this much for it's just another retelling. And that's the thing, it's a 'retelling' so we all know what's it's all about and what's going to happen inside but NO, this book was really exciting and full of unexpected things. Not really one of my average reads 'cuz I loved it!

So it's the modern version of Rapunzel played by Rachel and Wyatt. That's my favori
Tee loves Kyle Jacobson
Okay first off I have to say that I give any author credit for re-telling a fairy tale and making into a YA book. Kudos to you for doing that because it is not easy and lord knows you will get those out there who will not like it and trash it but I have to say I was really impressed by this book. When I was talking to a few of my goodreads buddies they all said they were nervous to read this one and I said yes I agree but let's give it a go. What is the worse that can happen that we don't like i ...more
Monica Miller
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So, as far as I've seen in the comments below, this book was only chosen to be read because of the cover.

I did not choose it because of the cover. I chose it because I love Alex Flinn's work, I've read mostly everything she wrote, and I was so excited that she decided to do a modern version of Rapunzel.

And you know what, I've chosen this book to be the last one in my Reading Challenge, so this 100th book is a winner.

I've loved it so much, because it was exactly the kind of story I would've liked
Farah
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book was EPIC!! 5 STARS ☆I have no idea why this book got 3/5 on goodreads!!!

I decided to give it a chance, anyway, because I hadn’t read a Rapunzel retelling before. I can see the potential in this book. There are a lot of mysteries that keep the pace going, like why Rachel is in the tower and what happened to Mrs. Greenwood’s daughter, Dani. That’s why I kept reading for as long as I did; I wanted to know what was happening in this small town.

Anyway, Towering is a retelling of Rapunzel, s
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

As a person who has enjoyed fairy tale retellings my entire life, I was looking forward to TOWERING. I was curious how Flinn would retell the story of a girl who lived in a tower in a modern day setting. It seemed like quite the challenge. Unfortunately, it ended up being a completely implausible and awkwardly written story that was very disappointing.

TOWERING's biggest failing was the fact that I found it remarkably unbelievable. As you all know, I rea
Jun 26, 2013 rated it liked it
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
17-year-old Rachel knows very little of the world other than what she has read in books. For years she’s been imprisoned in a tower in the middle of some woods, with only ‘mama’ visiting occasionally for company.

Wyatt is travelling to stay with a friend of his mom’s called Mrs Greenwood. When he arrives he finds a diary in one of the rooms in the house, which seems to have belonged to Mrs Greenwood’s missing daughter Danielle.
One day whilst out with some frien
Paula  Phillips
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As readers of The Phantom Paragrapher will know , I am a huge fan of rendition novels and one of my favourites would have to be Beastly by Alex Flinn. So when I learnt that she had a new one coming out called Towering , I knew I just had to read it . For those who have never read an Alex Flinn before - you will notice that they are called the Kendra Chronicles but in this particular novel the name Kendra does not arise. In Book #1 Beastly, Kendra was a witch who in order to teach the main charac ...more
Farlene
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: january-2015
I am a sucker for fairy tale retellings and as I entered this, I was filled with excitement only it was deflated very fast as the story progressed. The tale of Rapunzel is a true favorite but this twist on the classic did not unfurl any enchantments that thrilled or made me zealous for more! The story had potential but I was disappointed when it fell short on its journey of reaching anywhere near what it could have been. 2.5/5
Tara Higgins
Nov 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: can-t-finish
It looked interesting, but to my disappointment it was boring.
Riya
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Initially this started out slow and I had some trouble figuring out what the oozles was going on, but Flinn turned it around, picked up the pace in no time and showed me just why I call her the Queen of fairytale retellings. I can finally let out the breath I've been holding while reading this novel, because, no, Flinn did not - in no way whatsoever - butcher my cherished fairytale. Yippee!

Beastly is my favourite work of Flinn's, but Towering definitely held its own ground. One of the problems I
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
The cover is bloody gorgeous <3 I. can't. wait!

2.5 stars, http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com

The first thing I need to say is: why is this part of the Kendra chronicles? I really don’t get it. Kendra has nothing to do with this book and it doesn’t have any connection with Beastly and Bewitching. Strange.. And it was good, but was it as good as I expected? Not really.

EDIT, comment from the author:
Thanks for the review. I apologize for any confusion about Kendra. This book is a standalone bo
Karissa
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was ok

I have read a number of Alex Flinn books before and they are always quirky and fun fairie tale retellings. I was excited to read this retelling of Rapunzel, because there aren’t a ton of Rapunzel retellings out there. However this book ended up being a disappointing read.

This book is told from two viewpoints. The first is Wyatt who is sent to live in the Adirondacks with a elderly friend of his mother’s. Wyatt has been suffering through the death of his best friend Tyler and his mother thinks a
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Feb 25, 2015 08:32AM
Crazy for Young A...: Towering by Alex Flinn → Start Date: March 28, 2014 46 33 Apr 08, 2014 10:25PM
All About Fantasy!: towering 6 9 Jul 24, 2013 03:58AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Towering by Alex Flinn -> Starts July 9th 35 19 Jul 19, 2013 11:29AM
Is Kendra in this book? 3 52 Jun 08, 2013 04:21PM
  • Beauty
  • My Name Is Rapunzel
  • Furious
  • Nameless (Tales of Beauty & Madness, #1)
  • Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings, #4)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • A White So Red
  • Strands of Bronze and Gold
  • Rapunzel Untangled
  • Weather Witch (Weather Witch, #1)
  • Winter's Child:  A Retelling of The Snow Queen
  • The Fairest of Them All
  • Snow White Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries, #1)
  • Vengeance Bound
  • Sleeping Beauty (Faerie Tale Collection, #2)
  • A Shimmer of Angels (Angel Sight, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
NOTE: If you would like to contact me, please visit my Facebook, Twitter, or website or e-mail me (alixwrites@aol.com), but DO NOT MESSAGE ME THROUGH GOODREADS. While I have a bio on Goodreads as a service to my readers, I do not visit Goodreads on a regular basis. Like literally twice a year.

Okay, bio.

I was born on Long Island and grew up on a street called Salem Court. This probably influenced m
“You have to avoid thinking of what upsets you. If not, it will take over your life.” 25 likes
“If you're not a hero, does that make you a villain?” 7 likes