Start by marking “The Qwikpick Adventure Society” as Want to Read:
The Qwikpick Adventure Society

The Qwikpick Adventure Society

“Major Sewer Upgrade Ready in Crickenburg” —Crickenburg Gazette

Lyle Hertzog and his two friends Marilla and Dave have no plans for Christmas Day. They’ll probably just hang out at the local Qwikpick like they always do. But when an article in the hometown newspaper catches their eye, suddenly the three friends (aka members of the Qwikpick Adventure Society) realize that t

Published May 10th 2007 by Dial (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Qwikpick Adventure Society, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Qwikpick Adventure Society

Betsy
Aug 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
As a children's book reviewer there is one fact that you must keep at the forefront of your mind at all times: You are not a kid. Not usually anyway. And because you are not a kid, you are not going to read a book the way a kid does. I keep talking in my reviews about how your own personal prejudices affect your interpretation of the book in front of you, but it's bloody true. I mean, take scatological humor in all its myriad forms. When I read Out of Patience by Brian Meehl last year I really e ...more
Tom
Jul 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: every human, most mammals and some arthropods
This is my own book so you better believe I'm giving it 5 stars! heck people, it's got origami AND crab soccer. What more do you want? Millions of gallons of liquid sewage? We've got that, too.
You just can't miss, folks.
Alexandra
Oct 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids
There's something we adult readers of this book need to keep in mind. It's a kid's book, and kids like a good gross-out the same way they like a good scare, or creepy tale. We adult readers need to keep that in mind, and keep our senses of humor about us for this one. It's entirely believable that kids would go to see a doomed "poop-fountain", and that real kids will get some laughs reading about it.

And underneath that lies a very good story. If it takes the poop factor to entice kids to give i
Christina
Oct 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 3 - 6 grade boys
Shelves: kid-books
I really liked the perspective in this book. Beverly Cleary once said that she wrote the books she did because at the time there were no books about just regular kids. The Qwikpick Adventure Society fits this description.
Lyle is a pretty thoughtful working class kid who lives in a trailer and his folks both work at the local convenience store.
Lyle, Dave, and Marilla are friends despite many differences (Among many other things: Marilla is a Jehovah's Witness, and Dave's family is economically
Charlyn
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades 4 and up
The Qwikpick Adventure Society is not truly a "society," and "Qwikpick" is the name of the convenience story where Lyle, Marilla, and David hang out together. And the adventure, well, visiting a sewage treatment plant can be an adventure when (a) one sneaks in (b) on Christmas Day (c) and a fountain of poop in involved.

Lyle, a misfit who has somehow formed a friendship with Marilla and David, is the narrator of this tale written as a "true" report with Lyle's annotations about his experiences
Brooke Shirts
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Excellent pick for reluctant readers -- the How to Eat Fried Worms for the 21st century. Be warned: the crux of the plot deals with breaking into a sewage treatment plant in order to view a literal fountain of excrement.

Sooooo . . . don't read this while eating, or if you're prone to nausea.

(Yeah, I was one of those kids who, when their 4th grade teacher read How to Eat Fried Worms out loud, got so sick she had to miss school the next day. Ahh, the enduring tradition of the gross-out story.)
Heather
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: boys, friendship
Shelves: j-fiction
Lyle, Marcilla and Dave take a Christmas Day hike to see the fountain of poop that will soon be shut down in their down.

Seriously, is that not enough to make you want to read this book? Yes, it's about poop. Yes, it's really gross at times, but yes, it's a good read. Those third and fourth grade boys who love Captain Underpants will totally get this story. It's not a slap stick book and the grossness isn't totally overboard (I only gagged a little), but I actually finished the story thinkning it
Sherry
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tom Angleberger's first book is funny. I mean, cry and laugh so hard you won't be able to read out loud to your children kind of funny. It is, after all, about a poop fountain. Yes, a poop fountain. It's a great story about friendship, adventure, and poop. I highly recommend reading to students because really, who doesn't enjoy being grossed out hearing about poop?!
B
May 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: j-contemporary, j-boy
The three kids that make up the Qwikpick Adventure Society discover that the Poop Fountain at the Wastewater Treatment Plant will be closing. What better place to sneak into on Christmas when all three are left to their own devices! Lightly humorous, love the characters, and only the second kid's book I've read where the main characters live in trailers.
Colby Sharp
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, mg-novel
If you like Origami Yoda or Horton Halfpott, you should give Tom's first novel a try. It is a super fun read centered around a poop fountain.
Melissa Mcavoy
See review for The Qwikpick Papers.
Madelyn
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly convincing voice. Real scenario. This takes place near where I grew up and if I hadn't known that, I still would have recognized it.
PRES
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Clever, hilarious, and very well-drawn characters and relationships.
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
I read this with my 5th grader. Very funny - it's mostly about poop.
Rebecca