Start by marking “The Dalai Lama's Cat (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dalai Lama's Cat (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #1)

The Dalai Lama's Cat

(The Dalai Lama's Cat #1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  8,459 ratings  ·  1,054 reviews
“‘Oh! How adorable! I didn’t know you had a cat!’ she exclaimed.

I am always surprised how many people make this observation. Why should His Holiness not have a cat?

‘If only she could speak,’ continued the actress. ‘I’m sure she’d have such wisdom to share.’

And so the seed was planted . . .

I began to think that perhaps the time had come for me to write a book of my own—a
Published October 1st 2012 by Hay House Visions

To ask other readers questions about The Dalai Lama's Cat, please sign up.
Saritha Varma Mindfulness. The importance of actually being in the current moment. To be mindful of whatever you are doing: reading a book, enjoying your favourite…moreMindfulness. The importance of actually being in the current moment. To be mindful of whatever you are doing: reading a book, enjoying your favourite dish or writing this answer for that matter! (less)
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperInto the Wild by Erin HunterOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
937 books — 442 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen
Great Cat Books
1,449 books — 851 voters

More lists with this book...

·  8,459 ratings  ·  1,054 reviews

Start your review of The Dalai Lama's Cat (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #1)
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A particularly illuminating treasure of a book on the Power of Miaou.

The main hero is a cat, the Dalai Lama's cat, flirting, ruminating on energy and dharma, pondering psychology, quoting 'The Great Gatsby'... Oh, my!

I immensely enjoyed it! And... well... I just might happen to be a cat myself!

Q:
We cats are the most habitual of creatures. Preferred sun loungers, meal times, hidey holes, and scratching posts are among the considerations in which we take daily satisfaction. And it is exactly
Caro the Helmet Lady
First of all this:
description
After all the maniacal googling I didn't manage to find anything better than this photo, but I think it's the Real HHC.
Being a cat addict I had to read this. And of course learning some more about Buddhism was only a huge plus. Did you know that Buddha loved and respected cats? You won't learn this from this book, but surprise, surprise - His Holiness Dalai Lama loves cats too!
First I had a mixed feelings as to what was the target audience of this book - was it balanced for
Phrynne
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
A nice little book and a quick read. It is kind of a beginner's guide to Buddhism with your instructor being a cat with a fairly high opinion of herself and the ability to eat herself into a butterball. Of course she changes her ways as she observes her master, the Dalai Lama, and absorbs some of his teachings.

It's all very cute and there are lots of nice pieces about enlightenment and understanding of how best to live. The Dalai Lama comes across as charming as he probably is, and the cat leads
Kay Goldstein
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Dalai Lama’s Cat is a multi-layered treatise on the practical aspects of Buddhist teachings cloaked in the delightful tale of a cat who becomes the pet of the Dalai Lama. Besides introducing us to the fascinating life at the residence of one of the great spiritual leaders of our time, the story weaves together self-deprecating humor and profound teaching through the adventures of HHC (His Holiness’s Cat) a.k.a Snow Lion. Snow Lion is “Everycat” who aspires to being a “bodhicatva”, with all ...more
Vivek Tejuja
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The joys that few books seem to give the minute you are taken in to their world. There is nothing more to do as a reader but to give in. Maybe also read the book effortlessly and enjoy the moment you are in. The “mindfulness” as His Holiness, the Dalai Lama puts it beautifully. Like most books, I wasn’t intending to read this one immediately. It just happened. The timing was right for sure. I needed it and I will tell you why. The book in question is, “The Dalai Lama’s Cat” by David Michie.

I am
Lyuda
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For someone who almost never reads self-help books and knows very little about Buddhism, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the story. Hats off to the author for cleverly finding a way to transform what otherwise would be a dry and academic read into a charming and entertaining narrative with the help of this (self-described) The Most Beautiful Creature That Ever Lived

description

I began to think that perhaps the time had come for me to write a book of my own-a book that would convey some wisdom I’ve

Krystal
I confess: I am not a cat person. I've always believed them to be arrogant and they don't give you anywhere near the same level of affection as a dog does. Dogs are happy all the time whereas cats are jerks pretty much all the time. I'm also allergic, so yeah that makes me a bit biased towards dogs, too.

So this was surprisingly adorable and I didn't mind His Holiness's Cat at all! HHC is still arrogant and is far too preoccupied with food to give out any major doses of affection, but she was an
dely
I love cats and I'm also interested in religions, so which is the best way to learn something about Buddhism if not through the cat of the Dalai Lama?
This cat, that has many names, is the narrator and tells us about her daily life in the Dalai Lama's house and her adventures outside. She has been saved as a kitten by the Dalai Lama from some children that wanted to throw her away. He brings her home and so she starts living in Dharamsala with the Dalai Lama.
It is a very nice and funny story,
Carole
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful book that leaves the reader smiling, and hopefully, just a little bit better person for having taken in the positive messages. David Michie is clearly a fan of the Dalai Lama, as well as someone who completely understands cats.
Yulia K
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was really interesting to read a book from a cat's point of view. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure that everyone no matter what he/she likes will find something for himself/herself in it.
Nat
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Buddhist teachings from the POV of His Holiness’ Cat wrapped up in a charming little story. A very relaxing and particularly endearing listen.
Kirstie Ellen
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cat people
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
This was a book such a sweet and fun book to read. The whole story is written from the cat's perspective and I can say and if you're a cat person then there's absolutely no way you won't fall in love with this book. It's both an immensely enjoyable read and absolutely hilarious and it won't fail to be thought provoking on topics of how you live your life - there are just too many quotes and moments in this book for me to write down that made me really laugh!
"It
Cindy
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In this book you will find a cat's eye view of Buddhism; call it an illumination of Buddhism perhaps. After all, what is a feline who walks at the heels [and occasionally bites at the ankles] of one of the great spiritual leaders to do but study the path toward Enlightenment?

The narrator cat immediately experiences the foundation of Buddhist thought; `compassion for all living things'; in action when the Dalai Lama rescues her - half-drowned, starving and near dead - from the gutters of New
Shari Larsen
This is a warmhearted tale of a small Himalayan kitten rescued from near death from the slums of New Delhi, and given a home with the Dalai Lama. In her new home, Snow Lion (also called HHC, for His Holiness's Cat), encounters Hollywood stars, Buddhist masters, Ivy League professors, and other people who come to visit the Dalai Lama. Each encounter offers insight into finding happiness and meaning in the midst of lives that are busy and full of challenges. Through Snow Lion's experiences, we ...more
Kumar Anshul
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Exquisite, enriching, witty and funny. A cat is adopted by His Holiness Dalai Lama and she lands up in Dharmshala receiving the utmost attention, care and luxury. While the days go on, the cat experiences various events while living with the Buddhist monks which lead to philosophical pondering about life, happiness and meditation. Narrated from the cat's point of view, the book tries to teach the reader basic tenets of Buddhism without making the book sound like a self help. There are some ...more
Sugandha
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An effortless read. Finished the book in a day because once I started, I just could not stop. David Michie has done a fabulous job of introducing the basic concepts of Buddhism to the readers in a very casual and non- preachy fashion. Though the theme of the book is Buddhism, I believe it will appeal equally to the spiritual as well as the non-spiritual readers.
Amelia's Fantastical Bookends
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absolutely lovely. I feel like I learned more about myself and Buddhism in these pages, and also gained a sense of hopefulness for the future.
This is a very light read, but one that will stay with me for a while.
Told from the perspective of the Dalai Lama's cat, we get to follow her on all of her adventures through Jokhang and all of the people she gets to meet, including monks, celebrities, cafe owners and chefs.
Through her journey, we see that there is more to this life than selfish ideals.
Zak
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, fiction
Buddhism-lite through the eyes of a cat... the Dalai Lama's cat, no less. I'm not really sure if the Dalai Lama really has a cat but anyway, it was an easy read and an okay story. You won't be delving into profound Buddhist concepts here. Recommended for cat lovers. [Rating: 3.5*]
Cindy
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
The cover of this book is what originally drew me to wanting to read it. I can't pass up a book with a cat on the cover. And this one did not disappoint!

As I started reading it, I realized it was so much more than just a cat story. The book is narrated by Snow Lion, cat of the Dalai Lama. It was an interesting and fun read through the eyes of a very lucky kitten who was rescued from harm and taken in by the Dalai Lama.

I did not know much at all about Buddhism but this book taught me quite a bit
Cham
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-challenge
More often than I'd like to admit, I judge a book by its cover. This one had a really cute cat.

What I thought I was going to get: an original, funny, light-hearted point of view on Buddhism. Possibly without butchering a culture, as it so often happens when a white guy decides to explain to other white guys what another religion/culture/country is all about.

What I got: a cat that is inexplicably knowledgeable about american/english gossip and explains Buddhism to, apparently, five-year-old
Sylvia Hunter
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
A fun way of learning about Buddhism and a thoroughly entertaining read. This is a tale told by a cat rescued as a kitten by the Dalai Lama. She learns a few life lessons directly but mostly learns from eavesdropping on her master's onversations when receiving various celebrities. These people are not named of course, but sometimes it's easy to make a guess at their identity.
The author is obviously a cat lover and shows great understanding of their ways.
I would recommend this to anyone
Dianne
Review to come. This book was excellent so I must really think on it before I attempt my review.
Robin Friedman
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A Cat Of Many Names

My interest in Buddhism and in the Dalai Lama, together with my adoption two months ago of a darling year-old cat, prompted me to read this new novel "The Dalai Lama's Cat" by David Michie. A resident of Australia, Michie has written a number of popular introductions to Buddhism with titles such as "Buddhism for Busy People" and "Enlightenment on the Go." His novel has an appealing surface simplicity and accessibility.

This story is recounted in the first person by the title
Maria Carmo
A lovely, witty book about a Dalai Lama Cat who learns about Buddhism throughout her daily life... The whole book is cleverly written, in a very easy going way which hides a lot of wisdom and teachings under a guise of a normal story. The different characters that enter the story always somehow become a pretext for more guidance and learning about the Buddha's precepts. The whole simplicity and friendliness of the Dalai Lama's smile, the tenderness of all the monks towards the Cat, all that she ...more
Judy
My second title by this author.
I will note that I am a tragic animal lover and have been a slave to a succession of feline masters over my entire lifetime. And therefore my review comes through a slightly tinted animal filter - this filter is of course perpetually covered in hair and fur.
I loved every word of this story of HHC life to this point ( books 2 and 3 are sitting on reserve at the library). But it wasn't only the cat tales but the embedded wisdom and thought provoking ways of looking
Bhargavi Gopalakrishnan
I know zilch about Buddhism and I know even lesser about cats. And I am not someone who could pick up self help to even save my life.

And yet, I think this book is a funny-at-places and sassy narrative by the His Holiness' Cat, the Snow Lion. And I can't deny that I learned a lesson or two for myself.
Anushree
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Dalai Lama’s Cat by David Michie
My Rating: A delightful 4.5/5

First of all, a heartfelt “Thank You” to Namita Verma (especially) and other raccoons (generally, since I don’t remember all the names) who recommended this book so strongly to me. I have taken away the half point for one peculiar reason, which may only be due to my own interests in such matters, which I shall lay down later in this review. Had that not been, it was a straight 5/5 book.

David Michie has inordinately driven me to a
Sandie
This book is really a thinly disguised instruction book on the Buddhist way of viewing and living life. In this particular tale an abandoned and injured kitten is rescued from the streets of Delhi by the Dalai Lama, becomes the household pet, and proceeds to give readers second hand life lessons based on the teachings of Buddhism that she has acquired by listening and observing (a lesson in itself and something we could all benefit from) as the Dalai Lama receives "students" and guests from ...more
Ankit Rana
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ingenious!

The author has brilliantly conveyed the basic tenets of Buddhism through the perspective of a cat. At one level it is an allegory because a cat which is considered to be selfish and self centered is much like an average person who is blinded by his self importance.

After reading the book, I found clarity in my thought and I am currently in process of removing clutter from my life. The concept of mindfulness is essentially useful as an average person seems so overburdened with daily
Margaret
I learned some basics about Buddhism which as a Christian doesn't scare or offend me, I found it interesting though at the end, my interest waned a bit. Cute and with anecdotes that I appreciated but not sure if I'll continue on with the second book in the series.

• The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1)
  • Becoming Your Own Therapist
  • Najděte si svého marťana!
  • The Third Rule Of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #3)
  • The Fourth Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #4)
  • The Second Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #2)
  • Lose Weight Now
  • Hotýlek
  • The Fifth Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #5)
  • The Inheritance
  • The Broken Rules of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery #0.5)
  • Trooper: The Bobcat Who Came in from the Wild
  • Slepá mapa
  • Rinpoche's Remarkable Ten-Week Weight Loss Clinic
  • Peas & Queues: The Minefield of Modern Manners
  • Raganos širdis
  • Bringing Home the Dharma: Awakening Right Where You Are
  • Ruby Wax’s No Brainer
David Michie is the internationally best-selling author of The Dalai Lama's Cat series, as well as a number of books about mindfulness, meditation and Buddhism. These include the non-fiction titles ‘Why Mindfulness is Better than Chocolate’, ‘Hurry Up and Meditate,’ ‘Buddhism for Busy People’ and 'Buddhism for Pet Lovers.' His books are available in 26 languages in over 40 different countries.

The Dalai Lama's Cat (4 books)
  • The Art of Purring (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #2)
  • The Dalai Lama's Cat and the Power of Meow (The Dalai Lama's Cat, #3)
  • The Dalai Lama's Cat and The Four Paws of Spiritual Success (The Dalai Lama's Cat #4)
“You know, Professor, this stray kitten and you have one very important thing in common.'

'I can't imagine,' responded the professor coolly.

'Your life is the most important thing in the world to you,' said His Holiness. 'Same for this kitten.”
17 likes
“We all share these wishes. But also the way we look for happiness and try to avoid discomfort is the same. Who among us does not enjoy a delicious meal? Who does not wish to sleep in a safe, comfortable bed? Author, monk—or stray kitten—we are all equal in that.” Across the coffee table, the history professor shifted in his seat. “Most of all,” the Dalai Lama said, leaning over and stroking me with his index finger, “all of us just want to be loved.” 14 likes