Start by marking “One Frozen Lake” as Want to Read:

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  74 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Seven hours pass.
Not one fish.
Has anyone seen a fish?

On the surface, it might seem like ice fishing, with its hours in a tiny shack awaiting an elusive crappie or pike, would not be a great match for kids. However, as scores of grandparents and parents know, this unique northern pastime holds special magic for a child.

One Frozen Lake tells the story of a grandfather and gr
Published November 1st 2012 by Minnesota Historical Society Press

To ask other readers questions about One Frozen Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Frozen Lake

Tracey
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I like winter. It’s true. And yes, I live in Minnesota, where we really do have winter—snow, ice, blizzards, wind chill. Our daily high temperatures are sometimes below zero. I actually love it all.
But despite the fact that I like winter, there are some cold-weather activities that I’ve never wanted to do. One of them is ice fishing. Honestly, sitting in a tiny hut on the ice waiting for a fish to bite is not my idea of winter-time fun. And I have a phobia about the ice cracking open underneath
Tasha
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A boy and his grandfather head out on the frozen lake to go fishing. They drill through four inches of ice and set up their canvas ice shack. Inside they open their tackle box and have four watery holes to fish through. Other join them out on the ice and cocoa is shared, but after seven hours they haven’t seen a single fish. They play cards together and wait until night falls then, a fish! A ten incher and a keeper! But the boy has different ideas than a fish dinner. This picture book captures t ...more
Ariel Cummins
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A counting book about ice fishing! That's pretty much all that happens - there's some really rich details about what it's like to ice fish, and then they catch a fish. And throw it back! (spoiler alert, I guess?)

The illustrations combine found-paper-collage with paint, and it works really well. They depict the relative warmth of the fishing cabin and the freezing cold of the ice really nicely.

Ice fishing isn't really something I have a lot of experience with. This title might confuse tiny folks
Jackie Rust
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Please go out right now and buy this book for your child, especially if you do not live in an area where there are people who ice fish. This book will be an excellent way to share the experience with your child. If you do go ice fishing with your child, what a great way to compare how you ice fish to how they ice fish in the book. The illustrations are appropriately plaid! The rhythm of the words and the length of the text are perfect for a cozy afternoon read. You will see the cold, but feel th ...more
Ranea
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I wish I could give this book two seperate ratings because I would give the illustraions 5 stars, for sure! But the story itself was lacking. I didn't find it very engaging or interesting. With so many wonderful picture books being published these days, this is not the first one I would pick to read to a group of kids. I wasn't very impressed with the words, but the pictures were absolutely beautiful!
Donna Nix
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Admitting my bias first, I'm a native Minnesotan, but not a fishing fan (summer or winter). The point so this book is more about a grandfather and grandson developing a special relationship by fishing, and it really doesn't matter whether they catch fish or not. I also loved the "flannel shirt" illustrations, which add more 'warmth' to the story. It's a simple but wonderful story, that can be enjoyed any time of year. Loved it!
Angelina Justice
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book has some beautiful and poignant artwork. With age appropriate text it would make a wonderful read for school age students. Unfortunately, the text is sparse and will be largely meaningless for the intended Pre-K audience without a curriculum that explains it or personal experience of fishing.
Tracy
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have never understood why people would actually go out in the cold to fish. But this book is a tempting little thing. The companionship might make it worth sitting in the cold. The illustrations are wonderful, and the prose also great. Also something very typical happens with a young fisherman in this story.
Read  Ribbet
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Vicki
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
If you have a fisher child in your family, this is a great book to share about ice fishing, counting and how to pass the time in a shanty while waiting for the big catch! The illustrations depict ice fishing.
Jayna
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ages 3 and up

A young boy and his grandfather go ice fishing. Along the way they count the things they use and share.

This would be good to point out the pictures of the items that they are counting. It is a good way to connect numbers to words to pictures.
Julie
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I loved this book - I was transported back to the many times I went ice fishing with my Grampy in Minnesota. Such fun!
Betsy
a wonderful book about a frozen lake- a counting book
with vibrant illustrations.
a great read.
Michael Fitzgerald
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Unfortunately, as dull as the bad fishing day.
Daisy
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Good illustrations but the words lack magic.
Amy
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Illustrations are fantastic! A nice addition to your counting, numbers book in the library or at home.
Megan Meuli
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful poetic story, gorgeous illustrations.
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Perfect for a little dude who might enjoy fishing. Not our fam.
From MN Historical Press and I love the illustrations.
Just nothing for Little M and I to grab onto.
Library
Apr 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Young fans of ice fishing or fishing will enjoy this book. Counting is practiced in a nontraditional manner and occurs multiple times up to different numbers.
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a cute number book and I loved the above and below ice illustrations.
Cassie