Start by marking “So Well Remembered: A Novel” as Want to Read:
So Well Remembered: A Novel

So Well Remembered: A Novel

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  79 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
As World War I comes to a close, George Boswell looks back on how his fate was inextricably tied to that of his sleepy English hometown As a young man, George Boswell knew he had greater prospects ahead than those offered by his native mill town in the north of England. A respected lawyer and civic leader, he possessed the skill and charisma to shine on the national stage. ...more
Published May 1st 2012 by Open Road Media (first published January 1st 1945)

To ask other readers questions about So Well Remembered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Well Remembered

Katherine
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my fourth James Hilton novel, and I’m getting wise to some things. First off, his women are either perfect wives or bad wives, and that defines them as women. I seem to remember maybe a spinster in _Lost Horizon_, but she had such a faint presence and served no purpose in the plot. My favorite character is, of course, Paula in _Random Harvest_ (my favorite of his books). The thing about this book, I think Hilton wants you to be sympathetic to the main character -- but I hated him! The wo ...more
Nancy
i started reading this in the brandywine library and couldn't stop.
what a great old-fashioned storyteller hilton was!
May VMora
This book tell us the story about a couple and how their lives were deeply marked by their childhood. The men, whitout the education he always wanted, the women with any friends aroud her. He grew up into a good and political-bored man with his town always in his mind. She, just wants to feel part of something, somebody and someplace.
The couple found, separated and for things of destiny, found again. Never friends, never lovers, just to known people.
Jim Dooley
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I think of James Hilton, the first book that will likely always come to my mind is LOST HORIZON. For me, it is a masterful work that calms my soul with every rereading.

SO WELL REMEMBERED didn’t have that impact, but it is a beautifully-crafted tale of relationships won and lost (yet never abandoned), purpose versus responsibility, and the amazing quirks of Fate ... and what we choose to do with them.

It is so difficult to tell much of the story because there are fascinating twists and turns
Clark Carr
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic worth the read

Written at the very tail end of WW II, this book offers so much hope, so much simple pleasure in the common decencies of life. Wonderful characters. Helped me to better understand the silent, stodgy Englishman. Salt of the earth, indeed, even in little townships. They're still there today. Just as Hilton describes them. He was a great writer with a unique, hugely optimistic vision (Shangri La). Makes me want to reread others of his books and the ones I never did.
Beth Harbaugh
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book but I found the ending rather abrupt.
Lesley
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classic
On the day that World War II ends in Europe, Mayor George Boswell
recalls events of the previous 25 years in his home town of Browdley.

Jamie
Aug 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a sweet story, though it sort of rambled. There was no sweeping storyline or grand view, though the theme of life's purpose against a backdrop of war seemed to sort of tie the different character's lives together.
Margaret Norwood
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful novel was in a box of books from my Grandmother's estate. I picked it up on a whim. The characters were really fun to live with and some of the ideas of ambition vs contentment spoke to me a great deal.
Carla
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as sucessful as Random Harvest, but a generous, serious novel about a working-class idealist. In this case, I felt the film with John Mills achieved greater depth, mostly because of the sensitivity that Mills brought to the protagonist.
Hope
Oct 10, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilton is a great story teller, which is why so many of his books have been made into movies. This, however, is not one of his best novels.
Andrea Engle
Mar 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
ACPL Online Book ...: James Hilton Explored! 1 5 Aug 22, 2016 10:52AM
2031
James Hilton (1900–1954) was a bestselling English novelist and Academy Award–winning screenwriter. After attending Cambridge University, Hilton worked as a journalist until the success of his novels Lost Horizon (1933) and Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1934) launched his career as a celebrated author. Hilton’s writing is known for its depiction of English life between the two world wars, its celebration of ...more
More about James Hilton...