Start by marking “The Fisherman” as Want to Read:

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  349 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Few New Testament characters are as fascinating as Simon Barjona, the man called Peter-a reluctant disciple who changed the face of Christianity. For more than twenty-five years, author and pastor Larry Huntsperger has spent hundreds of hours studying New Testament documents in preparation for writing this fictional first-person account of the life of this enigmatic discip ...more
Published February 1st 2003 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about The Fisherman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fisherman

Lisa
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A fictional book written as through Peter's eyes and his time with the Master. I really enjoyed reading this book, and it just reconfirms God's love for us and his forgiveness. Definitely have felt as Peter has, that I have other plans for myself than God does.
Louise
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Story Description:

Revell|February 1, 2003|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-0-8007-5844-8

Few New Testament characters are as fascinating as Simon Barjona, the man called Peter – a reluctant disciple who changed the face of Christianity. For more than twenty-five years, author and pastor Larry Huntsperger has spent hundreds of hours studying New Testament documents in preparation for writing this fictional first-person account of the life of this enigmatic disciple.

The result is a novel that faithfully
G   Lee Graves
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simon's transition to Peter: A wonderfully crafted portrayal!

A poignant and insightful view of Simon the fisherman's transition from a burly worker on a boat catching food for his family and others, to Peter the Apostle, a man loved by our Master and dedicated to sharing His love to those about him.

This running across account of Simon's life on this earth with our Messiah gives us a broader view of the Jewish mind and frame of reference as it related to anticipating the coming Messiah and the J
Don Heath
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a Christian life book dressed up as a novel. I prefer historical fiction, but since the author disclaims that up front, I can't very well express disappointment. This also explains why Peter thinks like a 20th century American. The author is presenting an almost direct teaching method rather than teaching through inference, as a historical novel might. The chronology is excellent.
Kristina
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
It was good, but it lacked... Jewishness, I think. Peter seemed very Western and modern, almost like a visitor to that time. The take-away, for me, was when he described how it was a hurdle to accept the humanness of a real Messiah, while readers might have a similar journey with the deity of Christ.

Cj_q
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book! This is the only novel i have ever read that made me feel like underlining passages, like I would my Bible or study book.... I highly recommend it! In fact, after reading it on my kobo, I bought some in hard-copy, to share or give away...
Patsy
This is a very powerful and emotional novel as seen through the eyes of Simon Barjona, a man known as Peter, a disciple of Jesus; the Son of God. A beautifully written scripture account of Peter's life as a fisherman when he is called to follow Jesus here on earth.

The author faithfully follows the scriptures from the Holy Bible. Peter was an ordinary man with a family, dreams, and plans for his future until Jesus said 'Follow Me'. Peter watches in amazement as Jesus performs His Miracles. This
polly debruin
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bar none, the BEST book I have ever read

Done as if Peter himself wrote it about his time with Jesus, his thoughts, actions , reactions and how he eventually came to understand Jesus work and reason for being on this earth.
From the most human perspective that I am certain sure is so close to how the actual disciple Peter acted and thought. So many truths made clear and easier to understand.
I highly recommend it to all believers and to anyone who has ever heard about Jesus Christ in any way.
Outsta
Ms S Mansfield
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He was just a man

The story is written on the great apostle Peter, but helps you to imagine him as just a simple man with thoughts and feelings just like us. It is very cleverly written and helps you to understand just how much God Jesus lives us all but individually. A lovely book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thank you
Kate Allgaier
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful and Moving

This book touched my heart and gave me a different view of the Savior’s time on earth. What an experience to walk with the Savior and have him call me his friend.
Stephen Coleman
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very interesting novel that weaves a very careful considered story around the life of Jesus. It is a very thought provoking novel that stimulates a lot of thought.

I would certainly recommend reading this.
Beth M. Nelson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Touched My Heart

I was captivated by the realism of Simon Peter's world. Through the author's eyes, I gained new insights on the Biblical accounts of Simon Peter. I know this story will stay with me for a very long time.
Ella Frye
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome o read a fictional book that still explores a biblical person's struggle to follow Christ. This book humanized Peter in a relational way...very good portrayal of Peter.
Allan67
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book read to the wife. She loves to be read to, she always has. Reading is one of the few things that we can do together after her stroke.

This book is Biblical fiction about the adult life of Simon Peter, one of Jesus' disciples. The story introduces Peter as a "go getter" fisherman who has great ambitions and is called by Jesus to "Follow Me".

As with other Biblical fiction, the story is about how things might have been - and seems to be near accurate. It poses some different interpreta
Nanette Littlestone
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was so moved by the elegant simplicity of this book. Like many people, I knew the basics of the story of Jesus and his ultimate death. But the stories of the disciples I did not know. And when I saw this book that told the tale of Peter I was intrigued. How would the author choose to do this? Would it be believable? Would it be enjoyable? The answer is an outstanding yes. From the beginning I was absorbed. Peter cast his fisherman's net and I was caught in the fibers, not to be released until ...more
Tami
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: will-read-again
The first time I read The Fisherman, it opened up my mind to what the people who were called to be disciples might have been like. Their shortcomings made them very real and made me feel as though I wasn't as far and brought me closer to Jesus. The second reading was frustrating because my expectations were so high that I was left disappointed and struggling to finish it. It's a great book for someone who is seeking to learn about Jesus, but not one that continued to challenge me in the second r ...more
Dave
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
It took a while but I finished this book, and must admit I really enjoyed it. The book gave an interesting perspective to Peter and the gospels, and made me think a bit - of which I am always grateful.

The story picks up in the middle and gets moving; I found the first quarter to be a bit slow but that may be more getting into the book and what the author was doing moreso than the story (plus I had to be in the right frame of mind to read it and honestly wasn't at first).

Overall I enjoyed it an
Eileen Carter
Awe inspiring story

Have you ever wished you could have walked and talked with Jesus? This story does just that through the eyes if his disciple, Simon Peter. Peter was a regular man, full of worry for his family, job, and livelihood. But once meeting Jesus, his life would drastically change.
This story gives us a personal account of what the life of a disciple was like during the years they didn't with our Lord. It was awe inspiring to read this story, to see what went on in those final days of J
Nicole
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
The storyline of The Fisherman is great as it comes straight out of the Bible. However, there were several issues with the novel. The writing was lacking. The author continually repeated the same phrases over and over again throughout the whole book. Everything was "as never before", "like nothing I had ever experienced", "unlike anything else". Furthermore, the use of modern language detracted from the historical value. In the end, I gave it a higher rating simply because I felt the author did ...more
Vicky Hunt
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Faith by majority vote is never a safe path...Rarely does our Lord give others faith for the work he seeks to do through us."

"My circumstances had not changed. And yet one minute I was walking on the sea, and the next I was being destroyed by it."

A touching look at how Peter walked next to Jesus, this book takes a view of what that walk was like in the human sense. A quick read!
Paperback edition, one of the good reasons to still go to Barnes & Noble: their large collection of spiritual f
Kathy Baker
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book. I wanted to read it in quiet so I could savor the words. Many general principles of the spiritual life and, or our relationship with Jesus are expressed in this narrative. It would be a good book for discussion. It shows that Peter had to take time to digest the power and authority of Jesus before he loved Jesus and wholeheartedly becme his disciple. This makes sense. A beautiful rendering of Jesus life through Peter's eyes.
Candy Shepard
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am amazed. I feel like I am a friend of Peter and I know him and the details of his life personally. I feel like I just had an incredible conversation with him. Beyond that, the wisdom that drops from this book is wisdom you feel is learned by standing beside Jesus, just to realize that oops, this is fiction. This is definitely written by a man who has a close relationship with his Messiah.
Rita Day
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fisherman

The writer of this book wrote it to help us learn and understand more about the life of Jesus our savior and his disciples especially Peter. It is a writing of fiction but still teaches a valuable lesson. That lesson is to love the Lord as He loves us and to help others love Him.
Kristen L Brown
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought-provoking and humbling

The fictional (with woven in Bible facts) account from Peter's point of view makes it real and sets your mind deeper into thinking about what it would've been like to know Jesus as a personal friend in human form. This "account" was very easy to read and very believable. I would recommend it to anyone.
Lora White
Sep 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just about to finish this book up. I'm on page 184. Don't know why it's taking so long other then I'm trying to absorb every word. I wish there were more books like this out that make it easier to understand the Bible.

Finally found the time to finish this book. Left me feeling really good. I loved the way the author told this story we all know so well. Definitely a must read.
Margot M. Gregory
Wonderful Story

I wasn't able to put the book down. This story holds you captive. Challenges your thinking. Turns you upside down. Shakes you up. Reaches deep within your soul. Leaves you hungry for more. More of Him.
Erin Osumi-Demotte
Awesome- Great-

I've never heard of this writer before but he KNOWS the LORD JESUS CHRIST personally- I loved and devoured this book, and am now looking to see what else he wrote.

JerriLynn
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Fisherman, inspired writing

I would highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to get closer to the Savior. I appreciated his insight into the Saviors life. Highly recommended.
DeAnn
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Peter tells his story and shares the lessons he learned. The author shows a lot of insight into what it may have been like to be close to the Savior during his earthly ministry. I really enjoyed this book!
Steve
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true blessing

What a treasure. I read it slow and let the story soak in and what a blessing. The author does a wonderful job mixing the Biblical story line of Peter a long with his inner thoughts and feelings. Could not give a higher recommendation.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Heavens Before (Genesis, #1)
  • The Renewed Mind: Becoming the Person God Wants You to Be
  • The Curate of Glaston
  • The Journal of John Wesley
  • The Mind of Christ: The Transforming Power of Thinking His Thoughts
  • The Path to Rome
  • Giver of Roses (Guardians of Gadiel, #1)
  • Earth: In the Beginning
  • Daily Reflections on the Names of God: A Devotional
  • Rachel (Wives of the Patriarchs, #3)
  • Pursue the Intentional Life
  • The Secret Rites of Social Butterflies
  • Open Mind, Faithful Heart: Reflections on Following Jesus
  • Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World
“with it, whatever that was, I had to go through him to get it. No, I didn’t have to go through him, I had to go to him, with him. If, on the other hand, I was determined to cling to my own plans for the future, Peter would never exist.” 1 likes
“The gift of God being wielded by the mind of flesh is such an ugly thing.” 0 likes