Start by marking “God's Favorite Place on Earth” as Want to Read:
God's Favorite Place on Earth

God's Favorite Place on Earth

When He came to earth, Jesus Christ was rejected in every quarter in which He stepped. The Creator was rejected by His own creation. “He came to His own and His own received Him not,” said John. For this reason, Jesus Christ had “no where to lay His head.” There was one exception, however. A little village just outside of Jerusalem named Bethany. Bethany was the only place ...more
Published May 1st 2013 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about God's Favorite Place on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Favorite Place on Earth

Tom
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific read. Viola takes us through the entire NT story as it relates to Bethany (there is more there than you may think) And without violating common sense or the scriptures he tells a terrific story with some very important lessons. I came away thinking that this could be the basis for a great script if handled right. The story (as narrated by Lazarus) then feeds into the summary "walking it out" points at the end of each chapter. Both the story and summaries were compelling and chall ...more
Michael
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed reading. Easy, quick read. Enjoyed how the book was written as if Lazarus was telling the story. Liked how the author showed the similarity between the town of Bethany and our spiritual lives, where God enjoys living now.
writer...
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A book of comfort. A book of challenge.
I had never realized the amount of time Jesus spent in Bethany prior to reading Viola's newest release, 'God's Favorite Place on Earth'. Viola presents a good case for Jesus' attachment to the people and the place that captured his favour. People who welcomed and received Christ, providing hospitality, honour, friendship and love. All responses we are encouraged to offer as our own Bethany invitation to Christ.

To move past performance mentality of serving a
Lynne Levandowski
Paperback
Reviewed by Lynne
Obtained via publisher
Rating: 5

While on Earth, Jesus Christ was rejected by those He came to save. A man with no place to lay even His head until...Bethany. The one place he felt welcomed, accepted, and loved.

While in Bethany, Jesus and his talmidim came to love the family of Simon th
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-list
Last week, if you had asked me, in all seriousness, where God's favorite place was on earth—or if he even had one—I would have probably wrinkled my eyebrows and then defaulted into "Well, duh! Ohio!" as a non-answer.

Because, really? A favorite place on earth? For God?

Blame the Patheos Book Club (again!) for introducing me to an author and a reading experience I would have otherwise missed completely: God's Favorite Place on Earth, by the apparently awesomesauce Frank Viola, whose work I will be
Mel Caldicott
May 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's about some stories I have read lots about but even so Viola gives fresh insight and wisdom. It was well-written full of challenging truth, beautiful grace and humble insight accurately portraying the amazing Gospel of Christ.
Tom
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Good Read!!! I finished it last week and have shared this with friends already. One friend called it 'the most timely book he has written in years'. I always enjoy Frank's method of exposing the hidden in the stories and life applications of the Gospel stories. I
Kevin M
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. First one I've read by Frank Viola I will be looking up others.
Going to have a small group study using this book...
Philip Gibson
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Absolutely excellent book! Would highly recommend it!
Matt B.
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is not a normal theology book, work of fiction, or historical narrative. It is a weaving together of all three kinds, with the primary driver of the story coming from the perspective of Lazarus, one of Bethany's most famous residents. The book bounces between this narrative, a related scriptural passage, and a "Walking It Out" section that gives some practical application for each chapter.

I enjoyed the format of this book very much, as each section seemed to flow naturally through the story
James  Robinson
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Frank has done an incredible job here, taking a sub narrative that is so easily missed within the bigger picture and turning it into a compelling series of monologues by Lazarus. My only hang up is that Judas is once again depicted as the villain, something the western church has done with very little scriptural reference. There is a thought provoking application of what is shared by Lazarus following each chapter which I found very helpful. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Jonathan
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for everyone who loves the Lord. It shines light on Jesus' personal relationships during his earthly walk in a very revealing way. God's earth shaking love and desire for his children to fulfill his eternal plan will move and encourage the reader. Read it!
Charles Roberts
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, this book takes you into the little town of Bethany, Jesus' watering hole. Some amazing things happen there, take a look and see.
Tim Ogle
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My review for this book can be found on my wordpress blog.

Claire Lamb
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Interesting take on the story of Lazerus
Amanda Kuykendall
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, and very moving. Loved it!!
Christian
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Reminder to Connect Emotionally with Scripture

I liked the format. It was fun to read the perspective of Lazarus as a way to be introduced to the various texts that link chronologically the time Jesus spent in Bethany. I was unaware, that Jesus had spent so much of his time there resting and recouping and enjoying time with his friends and disciples. Then the scripture is repeated. And then Frank explains the text in an informed yet personal way that doesn’t explicitly state application but le
Carter Hemphill
The author provides a clever mix of Christian fiction (although closely tied to scripture) and commentary. I highlighted a lot since the author provides a multitude of good quotes that I can use in other teaching sessions. The book inspires you to seek Christ above all else and to become a follower who Jesus would seek as a refuge and close friend like those who lived in Bethany.
Rich Thornton
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful picture of a home for Jesus

The author tells a compelling story through the eyes of Lazarus who was loved by Jesus and often had Jesus in his home. Looking at the scriptures surrounding Bethany and Lazarus, Martha, Mary, and Simon we see Jesus in a different way.
Darin Vogt
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting perspective on an aspect of Christ's time on earth.

This is a very interesting read and very thought provoking. A first-person story from the assumed perspective of Lazarus. A great read to see things a little differently.
Blake Western
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an interesting blend of stories (formed from the author's imagination based on the Biblical account) the actual account in the Bible, and lessons the author draws from Jesus' stays in Bethany.
Lathan Craft
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lord, because of You I can be a Bethany.
Jillian Vincent
Couldn’t finish which is why I’m putting a two. Couldn’t handle writing from Lazarus perspective, although there were some really good nuggets in the other two divisions of each chapter.
Matthew Showman
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Personally, I had no "life-changing revelations", but I loved the story and the exposition from the stories. Viola always has interesting ways to describe/explain ideas. Great book.
Kaleena
Beautiful and wonderfully prophetic. A Kingdom-inspired work! Refreshed me and educated me.
David Pierce
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book did a good job of opening your eyes to the relational aspect of Jesus in Bethany. These were real relationships that He had with Simon the Leper, Martha, mary, and Lazarus. These profound moments happening in their home, because He was welcomes, loved, and worshipped here. Thank you Frank Viola, this is masterful work.
Leah
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Viola, Frank. God's Favorite Place on Earth. Colorado Springs: David C. Cook, 2013.
Jesus had a place he kept returning to while on earth: Bethany, the place where he was welcomed. What God’s Favorite Place on Earth lacks in emotional expression and tidy logic, it more than makes up for in its alarming message.
I am thrilled that my memory now holds Frank's image of small, welcoming Bethany, a couple miles east of big, Messiah-rejecting Jerusalem, the Mount of Olives at your north along the connec
Peter
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
For the full review, please head over to my blog.

Often times when we approach the story of scripture, we don't realize the depth of the story that we are entering. When Jesus was here on earth, there was so much more going on that what is recorded in scripture. John even says so at the end of his gospel. It's that depth that Frank Viola is exploring in God's Favorite Place on Earth. The story element of his book is written in first person narrative from the perspective of Lazarus. Through the vo
Andrej Bojnec
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant story of the places Jesus loved to go during his ministry. The author teaches the characteristics of the people who owned those places and challenges the reader to live his life in such a way. I was deeply moved by the exposition of the biblical truths. However, some stories are added for the purpose of clearer understanding. One might think these added stories are pure fiction, but if you look objectively and through the biblical internal data, all together makes sense. Read and open ...more
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
When the Creator came to his creation and dwell as human among other Jews, Jesus Christ, was rejected in every place, except for one. Frank Viola wrote God’s Favorite Place on Earth about that one small village, Bethany, just outside Jerusalem, and home to Simon the leper, Lazarus and his sisters Mary and Martha. Main narrative is from the viewpoint of Lazarus. Jesus' many visits to Bethany and his encounters with this family inspire believers globally struggling with fear, suffering, the object ...more

• Jesus Manifesto
  • Disarming Scripture: Cherry-Picking Liberals, Violence-Loving Conservatives, and Why We All Need to Learn to Read the Bible Like Jesus Did
  • Paul's Idea of Community: The Early House Churches in Their Cultural Setting
  • Approaching the Heart of Prophecy: A Journey Into Encouragement, Blessing, and Prophetic Gifting
  • Love and Respect / Love and Respect Workbook 2-1
  • Christians Are Hate-Filled Hypocrites...and Other Lies You've Been Told
  • Grace Notes: Daily Readings with a Fellow Pilgrim
  • How Then Shall We Worship?: Biblical Principles to Guide Us Today
  • The Great Evangelical Recession: 6 Factors That Will Crash the American Church... and How to Prepare
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Charis: God's Scandalous Grace for Us
  • Static Jedi: The Art of Hearing God Through the Noise
  • Crucify!: Why the Crowd Killed Jesus
  • Classic Christianity: Life's Too Short to Miss the Real Thing

Frank Viola is a bestsellng author on spiritual topics. His mission is to help serious followers of Jesus know their Lord more deeply so they can experience real transformation and make a lasting impact.

Among his published books are:

INSURGENCE
JESUS SPEAKS
JESUS NOW
REVISE US AGAIN
REIMAGINING
“You cannot be around Jesus Christ for very long without changing. His presence transforms.” 1 likes
“The moment He set me free is the moment He captured me.” 0 likes