Jump to ratings and reviews

Miscarriage Of Justice

The justice system is just a system, not a just system.
Sentenced to fifteen years in prison for a crime he didn't commit, Ethan Rafferty has one thing on his mind - payback! With his time up, the ex-con is free to pursue his mission of revenge. The District Attorney, Mariana Clark, who, during the trial suppressed evidence that would've exonerated him, is the focus of his vengeance. Intent on making her life miserable, Ethan employs a variety of tactics to antagonize and torment the woman.
Unable to retaliate through the courts, considering her role in the previous trial, Mariana decides to fight fire with fire. Soon, their feud escalates to a point where neither imagined it would go.
Which one will prevail, Ethan or Mariana? Who will win? Can either? Or, are both of them bound to a destiny produced by a Miscarriage of Justice?

Nook

First published April 29, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Bruce A. Borders

20 books26 followers
Bruce A. Borders was born in 1967 in Cape Girardeau, MO. Bruce’s childhood years were spent in a number of states, including Missouri, Oregon, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

During his high school years, he was a member of the football, basketball and track teams, involved in various non-athletic activities such as school yearbook production and photography, and won numerous awards for his artistic creations. Bruce graduated Valedictorian in 1984.

While in school, Bruce held three part-time jobs; a store clerk, a janitor, and a dental technician, working about 60-70 hours per week. After graduation he became employed full time as a dental technician. Other jobs have included restaurant manager, carpenter and grocery store cashier. For the past sixteen years, he has worked as a commercial truck driver, logging more than two million miles.

At the age of fifteen, Bruce decided to become a writer. He began by writing songs, news articles and short stories. Eventually, books were added to the list. Over the years, he continued to write and currently has a catalog of more than 500 songs, numerous short stories and fifteen completed books. He writes on a variety of subjects such as the Bible and politics, as well as fictional novels of legal issues and westerns.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (4%)
1 star
2 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 21 of 21 reviews
Profile Image for Sarah Stuart.
Author 19 books95 followers
May 17, 2016
Reviewed by Sarah Stuart for Readers' Favorite

In Miscarriage of Justice by Bruce A. Borders, Ethan Rafferty clashes with Marianna Clark. Ethan has been imprisoned for fifteen years for a murder he didn’t commit. District Attorney, Marianna, keen for victory in her first major case, found evidence that he was innocent but still pressed for a conviction. Ethan, working as carpenter and spending little, has squirreled away a modest fortune, and he intends to spend it pursuing revenge on DA Clark, who caused him to lose not just his liberty but his wife and two young sons. Marianna receives one of hundreds of notifications that a prisoner she prosecuted has been released but, for once, she doesn’t toss it in the trash: Ethan Rafferty is a name she remembers vividly. Ethan dismisses the obvious forms of vengeance, such as killing her, burning down her house or targeting her family; he has no intention of being caught. Marianna relaxes as the weeks pass, but Ethan has learned patience the hard way.

Bruce A. Borders has excelled as a writer with Miscarriage of Justice, even more than he did with Over My Dead Body and Inside Room 913. I expected a thriller from this talented author and I couldn’t believe my luck when I saw the book waiting for review, and thrilling suspense is exactly what I got. Ethan Rafferty, released after serving a sentence for a crime he didn’t commit, learned to drive and bought a car, surfed the internet… I waited, while DA Marianna Clark relaxed, her gravest worry a neighbour’s yowling cat. I could hear that cat making her feel murderous, and all the time I knew Ethan was determined to… Beg, borrow or steal it, but read Miscarriage of Justice.
Profile Image for Rene.
109 reviews1 follower
September 13, 2012
I have mixed feelings about this book. This book is about a man who serves a prison sentence, not being guilty. And the DA knows that she sent an innocent man for 15 years to prison. When he has done his time, he decides to take revenge on the DA.
The first few chapters give you the necessary information about the situation and the main characters. Then the story develops and, although at times good, this part is a bit "too much of the same". Then, suddenly, in the second half, the story becomes good and even very good. It leads to a turn and a good climax close to the end of the book. And, in the last chapter, there is another surprise. That is all I can say without giving away the story. Furthermore, several events are very unlikely or even impossible.
Because the first half is, in my opinion, not very good (too slow and "too much of the same"), but the author takes revenge on his readers in the second half, I give the book three stars.
Profile Image for Nina.
122 reviews
November 16, 2012
This was an interesting book. I kept wanting to turn the pages and to see what was going to happen next. I am not going to do any spoilers but once you reach the last chapter, the reader is left wondering. But all in all the book kept my interest.
2 reviews1 follower
January 11, 2013
OMG-couldn't put down, great read, best part was Surprising Ending-WOW!!!!!!
Profile Image for Elaine.
1,436 reviews15 followers
December 17, 2012
A good read I love the book,A page turner. A must read,I could not put it down.
Profile Image for Amy.
38 reviews1 follower
January 15, 2013
I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. I do think it was drawn out way more than necessary. The ending is definitely a surprise & leaves you with your mouth open.
Profile Image for Margaret Gracie.
68 reviews2 followers
May 11, 2017
WOW

I thought over my dead body was outstanding but this one takes the biscuit it pulls you in, can't sleep get one of his books he has written I'm still not positive if I got it all, so I'll just have a little skim through it again like I did with over my dead body. He is obviously a world class Author if not he should be bye for now going to do that skim then get the next book. Thank you for sharing your stories and talent definitely in my unputdownable category magdg
Profile Image for Harmony Kent.
Author 45 books379 followers
January 5, 2015
Ethan Rafferty is convicted of the Murder of a young girl. While he serves fifteen years in prison, he plots his revenge. District Attorney Mariana Clark, discovered he was innocent just days before the end of the trial, but said nothing. Ethan finds this out whilst he is incarcerated. But all is not as it seems ... you'll have to read to the end to see what the big surprise is.

The book got off to a good start, but for the middle part I felt it was repetitive and same old same old. However, the last third of the book was great. It really picked up pace and the ending was a complete surprise. At first my response was: "Whaaaat? No way!" But then I calmed down, and eventually found it amusing! Totally hadn't expected that one!

There are some spelling issues with wrong words used, such as "Regiment" instead of "Regimen", and missing words ... lots of times "the" or "of" need adding to the sentence. Comma placement is problematic at times, and the writing style is very passive. Having said all that, it was a cracking good read, and I enjoyed it.

I offer a soft four out of five stars, and with a further edit and proofread, I feel it could achieve top marks with no problems.
Profile Image for Kindle Ninja.
116 reviews9 followers
August 16, 2014
‘Miscarriage of Justice’ tells the story of Ethan Rafferty, a man sentenced to 15 years in prison for a crime he did not commit. Ethan planned on exacting his revenge on District Attorney Mariana Clark, who suppressed evidence that could have cleared Ethan of the crime.

After a very strong start, the pacing slowed down considerably, with more of the action happening only in Ethan’s mind (and Mariana’s in some cases). I had hoped for more action-packed scenes and more interaction between Ethan and Mariana.

It’s unclear why Ethan didn’t appeal, which somehow defies logic, but perhaps it was done as intended to lend credence to the clever twist at the end.
Profile Image for Bettye McKee.
2,074 reviews136 followers
July 21, 2016
Wrongful conviction

This is a good story with good characters and a good plot. Ethan Rafferty is sent to prison for a murder he did not commit. Furthermore, the District Attorney knew at the time that he was innocent.

When Rafferty is released after serving his time, he just wants a little revenge -- and perhaps a confession.

There are a number of errors, misspelled words and such, but the punctuation is a disaster. I found the ending unsatisfying, but that is only my opinion. The errors and punctuation are factual.
127 reviews2 followers
February 22, 2015
Miscarriage of Justice

Fascinating story of a verdict of guilty even though he was innocent. The D.A. knew he was innocent but presented a convincing case anyway. The victim spent 16 years in prison for a crime he didn't do. He began tormenting the D.A. The industrially unexpected and unforgettable. Good read.
Profile Image for Rebecca Hollingsworth.
833 reviews4 followers
April 29, 2016
Another Great Book...

This was another excellent book by this author. No one knows what truly goes through the mind of a prosecuting attorney, but after a strange night, she wisely does the right thing.
188 reviews
June 26, 2016
Justice denied

The story was pretty good! The writing was mostly polished, the story flowed well, and most of the editing was hammered out. Believe it or not, I wasn't a huge fan of the ending. It just really kind of soured the whole thing for me.
125 reviews1 follower
June 27, 2016
Mediocre

Had I not read the author's bio, I would have thought that English was not his first language, due to a glaring shortage of conjunctions and prepositions, run on sentences, misused words e.g. regiment for regimen, and more.
Profile Image for Stephanie.
13 reviews
March 24, 2013
The ending was good, but the story could have been told in 200 pages vs over 400 pages. Not a favorite, but not horrible either.
Profile Image for Jenny Hayworth.
Author 1 book34 followers
April 21, 2014
Not quite believable but still engaging. For anyone who has fantasised revenge this is a story of an innocent man who pursues revenge until it gets out of control and takes on a life of its own.
Profile Image for SUSAN CREWS.
65 reviews
June 28, 2016
Wow!

You will be engrossed by the story, and startled by the ending. Good character development and realistic details. Wow, again.
53 reviews
January 30, 2013
It was a good book but it was longer than it needed to be. The ending was very surprising.
Displaying 1 - 21 of 21 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.