Start by marking “The Best Man (Blue Heron, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Best Man (Blue Heron, #1)

The Best Man

(Blue Heron #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  25,208 ratings  ·  1,987 reviews
Sometimes The Best Man Is The One You Least Expect...

Faith Holland left her hometown after being jilted at the altar. Now a little older and wiser, she’s ready to return to the Blue Heron Winery, her family’s vineyard, to confront the ghosts of her past, and maybe enjoy a glass of red. After all, there’s some great scenery there....

Like Levi Cooper, the local police chief
Mass Market Paperback, 426 pages
Published February 26th 2013 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about The Best Man, please sign up.
Kim Toward the beginning of the book it says he has straight dark blonde hair that's always a little messy.

·  25,208 ratings  ·  1,987 reviews

Start your review of The Best Man (Blue Heron, #1)
Melissa
I’m sure the number of enthusiastic reviews I’ve written for her work hardly makes this a secret, but nevertheless, I feel compelled to mention, Kristan Higgins has earned favorite storyteller status from this reader. She’s become a go-to author. An automatic reach. No marketing campaign necessary to convince me. The heart, humor, and relatability dominating her storylines have captured my heart time and again, ensuring any and all of her books earn a place in my read (if not my loved) pile.

With
A.
2 Stars. Barely.

This is my first read by this author. I can see why so many readers love her books. Her writing is compelling and witty. And while I do admit this book was funny and entertaining at times, it basically rubbed me the wrong way.

***********Spoilerage Below. Rant Ahead.**********

Issue No. 1:

I couldn’t relate to the heroine. She is naïve, whiny and has low self-confidence. She blushes all the time, needs to be looked after and has to be carried around because she forgets to take
willaful
I'm really puzzled about how to approach this review. There is much about this book that is sensitive, generous, moving, and funny. There is also much that feels like getting a pie in the face. With a rock in it.

Faith has an exceptionally bad history with men, even for a Higgins heroine. Her longterm sweetheart Jeremy came out to her at their wedding and it's been nothing but bad revelations ever since. Yet fate has chosen her to be a matchmaker for her widowed father, who the family fears is in
Mo
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

First off I want to say that I love Kristan Higgins. Have read all her books and totally love her stories, her characters, her humour, her dogs…. She has it all. Felt like I was waiting forever for this one as it only just became available NOW on KINDLE in Europe – why make us wait so long? Not fair…..

It is the story of Faith and Levi…. Oh and Jeremy is in there somewhere too.

Faith left her hometown after she was jilted at the altar.

Everybody loves her, she is popular, well off, has lots
Susan Phillips
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just love Kristan Higgins’ author’s “voice.” She could write the phone book, and I’m sure I’d read it.
Kiki
Amy | Foxy Blogs
I just finished listening to this one which makes it the second book for me by this author.

Since I read the second book first I knew a little bit about this story. I knew Faith was engaged to the love her life but was left at the altar when Jeremy came to terms with his true feelings. It wasn't that he didn't love her but that he was gay and had never accepted that as who he was until his best man, Levi, challenged him to see what he really wanted in life.

The title is so fitting for this story
Jonetta
The one thing you can always count on in a Kristan Higgins story is you’re going to experience just about every emotion before you reach the end…and that’s with the same characters! This one is no different in that your heart breaks for Faith Holland at the outset when she’s jilted at the altar after Jeremy Lyons, her fiancé, announces he can’t marry her because he’s gay. And, his best man, Levi Cooper, is the one that halted the wedding to make him fess up. Since they were planning to honeymoon ...more
♥Sharon♥
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
 photo the best man_zpswqsyhijn.jpg

I am so happy that I decided to pick up one of Kristan Higgins books. I absolutely adored this story and I cannot wait to read more from her.

The Best Man is book #1 in the Blue Heron series. What I loved most about this story was that the romance between the two main characters was so refreshing to read. It was sweet, tender, sexy and there was just the right amount of angst thrown in too. Nothing was overdone.

This is Faith Holland and Levi Cooper’s story. Both characters were easy to love.
Didi
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
RE-READ JANUARY 15/16

10++++ MILLION STARS!!!!!!

I read this last year, loved it and then subsequently read everything else KH has ever written. I have faves from her amazing database, but some distinct standouts. This Blue Heron series is truly remarkable, but The Best Man is...UN-BELIEVABLY OUT OF THIS WORLD, FANTASTIC!

I noticed things I didn't the first time around, and frankly, fell in love with Levi and Faith even more. Much, much more. Levi, gah! I can't even tell you how incredibly amazing
I was late to the game when I finally found Kristan Higgins. My first experience with her was the perfection that was If You Only Knew. Although her former works are probably very good, if you've read any of her newer stuff, you'll know what I'm talking about when I say nothing else compares. The Best Man was published in 2013 and is the first installment in a series of romances set in the community of Blue Heron. I found it to be a good contemporary romance for adults. Overall, I liked it. It w ...more
Duchess Nicole
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Jill Shalvis, Bella Andre, Terri Osburn
I just loved Faith and Levi! This is the first in the Blue Heron series by Kristan Higgins and my fourth book to read of hers. She never fails to impress me with her evocative, if somewhat long winded family drama and sweet, slow, believable romances. Add in a dash of humor that is seriously chuckle-worthy, and I'm game for everything she can throw at me. And anyone who calls enemies hemorrhoids and utilizes Fifty Shades of Grey as sexy, silly comic relief is, quite frankly, DA BOMB!

This is set
Lisa Kay
Rose Quartz

★★★★½ (This is a review of the audiobook.) Amy Rubinate is another narrator I haven't heard before, but I quite liked her. I do think she did a better job on the second half of the story, but maybe that is influenced by my liking the later half better. When a character’s voice is supposed to hold a note of humor or derision, she handles it nicely.

In the first half of this book I thought the heroine was a bit too hung-up on what the hero did in the past. I kept thinking, “Geez, lady.
*TANYA*
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adorable book. Faith was a hoot!! I liked that this wasn't your typical "insta-love" type read. And the family banter was hilarious, great family camaraderie.
Karen
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
She's done it to me once again...

Ami
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: Nur

I definitely had issues which reduced my reading experience. Now, the good thing was ... it had all the element of small town romance, heck down to the meddling secondary characters.

BUT, I felt that the romance was a bit lacking. For enemies-to-lovers theme to work, I need proofs that the animosity can change. Here, I just felt that both Faith and Levi spent more time with other people than being together and in love. I mean, how can I believe in them, when on pages, it seemed that I k
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
I'm bailing on this one really early in. I just can't take the cartoons presented as characters and Faith's self-flagellation is already old and Levi is a self-righteous jerk who apparently blames Faith for not noticing that her boyfriend was gay while sitting on that information himself the entire time. I'm not a fan of flashbacks in general, so getting a huge honker of a flashback where we see Levi figuring out that Jeremy is gay on first meeting him means that the entire six plus years of the ...more
Ririn Aziz
My 7 years review just gone like that, because I clicked finished through the app!!!!! Why this problem still happened after all this while??
StScho
I love me some Kristan Higgins. Just when I think she can’t reel me in any longer (not too impressed with her last book), she comes out with this gem.

Faith and Jeremy have been high school/college sweethearts. The happiest day of Faith’s life is when Jeremy proposed. On their wedding day, Jeremy jilts her (coward!) and his best friend Levi is mostly partly responsible. Years later, Faith is finally coming home. The past is in the past. Except for Levi….he is still definitely on her hit list (if
NinaReader
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really cute, sweet story!

This is my first Kristan Higgins book and I highly enjoyed it.

Faith and Levi have known each other since grade school but it wasn't until Jeremy moves into town that they really had anything to do with each other in more than a cursory acknowledgement. Jeremy became Faith's ever devoted and faithful boyfriend then fiance and Levi's best friend.

The wedding day was beautiful, attended by hundreds - of families and friends in their picturesque hometown when Levi was ins
*The Angry Reader*
Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
What in the hell is wrong with this book? Why is it bad for a woman to enjoy sex? Why can’t boots be empowering and sexy? HOW MANY TIMES DOES THE AUTHOR USE THE WORD “SLUTTY?”

This may have been an okay read. I was okay with the story line. Okay with characters. Curious to see what happens next. But every use of the word “slut,” or “whore” or “slutty” was like a stab in the eye ball.

No thank you. And I won’t pick up this author again. Awful judgmental shit.

Amanda
I would have rate it 5 stars, if chick lit is the only genre I read. But sadly, I had read too much awesome romance, so although I kinda love this book, I gotta rate it 4 stars just to be consistent. I actually read this whole book in one night and then only I realize is actually 400+ pages. I had no idea how I manage it, but I did lose some sleep over it.

The first chapter itself had me laughing so hard that I have to stop myself looking like an idiot. Faith is having such a bad luck when comes
Vintage
Compared to the dreary The Perfect Match, this was awesome. Okay, readable.

The h is dumped at her wedding when the best man pushes the groom to make his big confession: he's gay! The sweet couple had been the cutest high school couple, and everyone is shocked at the fallout. She beat feet for the bright lights of San Francisco and who could blame her.

Three years later and the h is back in town. She needs to get over the past, see her ex-fiancee who is still, at heart, her best friend, glare at t
Brenna
It took me a while to get into this book. It's my first Kristan Higgins novel and something about her writing/dialogue style took me some getting used to. There were so many characters thrown at you introduced so quickly that it was frustrating at first. I honestly considered DNFing it multiple times. And I very rarely DNF.

It took me 2 days to get to 30% but once I made it to that point I was pretty freaking hooked.

The storyline of a girl (Faith) falling for the best man (who she hates) who sto
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
ok, this was pretty dang good
Kajol
Rating: 4.3 stars!

An advanced reading copy was provided by the publisher through NetGalley.

After staring at the blank page for a quarter of an hour, fidgeting and scowling in hopes to scare the God of inspiration if there ever was one, I finally decided to start my review with this one line: I loved this novel.

Maybe it's because I love contemporary romances that I liked this one so much.

It's been a week since I finished reading it, and I'd be lying if I said that I remember exactly what I felt
Keertana
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
It seems as if Kristan Higgins can do no wrong. Although Somebody to Love was a bump in the road, The Best Man certainly wasn't. From the beginning itself, it's difficult not to like Faith, the protagonist of this novel. After all, she's been dumped at the altar by her perfect boyfriend-of-eight-years, Jeremy, when he announces that he's gay. Thus, fleeing to San Francisco, Faith harbors a broken heart and a pool of hatred for Levi Cooper, Jeremy's best friend who convinced Jeremy to come out wi ...more
Cocktails and Books
Faith Holland avoided her hometown after fleeing to San Francisco. Having been jilted at the alter by the love of her life and he was outed by his best friend, she needed to be away from the pitying stares of her small hometown and running into her ex. But when she comes back to Blue Heron for a couple of months to work on a project at the family winery, she has to come face to face with the past and the man she felt ruined everything, Levi Cooper.

I LOVED Levi Cooper. He's a man of few words and
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone. A solid, very enjoyable read!
02/14/2015 --

I was going through the mountain of books on my Kindle looking for something to read and ran across this one. I don't remember reading a Kristin Higgins book before, but I have a few of them. I looked to see what some trusted friends were saying and they loved her. Why not?

I have to say .. I am now a fan and am happy to have a new author to read. Thankfully she has several written and will keep me busy for a bit of time :)

Sorry. Not going to take the time for a detailed review. Thi

• Cómo casarse en Santa Manuela (Santa Manuela, #1)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • Simply Irresistible (Lucky Harbor, #1)
  • Dance Away with Me
  • It Happened One Wedding (FBI/US Attorney, #5)
  • This Heart of Mine (Whiskey Creek, #8)
  • Chasing Perfect (Fool's Gold, #1)
  • Sunrise on Half Moon Bay
  • Second Chance Pass (Virgin River, #5)
  • The Wanderer (Thunder Point, #1)
  • Before Summer Ends
  • Ain't She Sweet?
  • Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2)
  • Adventures of a Scottish Heiress
  • Virgin River (Virgin River, #1)
  • Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism, #1)
  • The Friend Zone
  • Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1)
Kristan Higgins is the New York Times, USA TODAY, Wall Street Journal and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of 19 novels, which have been translated into more than two dozen languages and sold millions of copies worldwide. Her books have received dozens of awards and accolades, including starred reviews from Kirkus, The New York Journal of Books, Publishers Weekly, Library Journal , People and ...more

Blue Heron (5 books)
  • The Perfect Match (Blue Heron, #2)
  • Waiting on You (Blue Heron, #3)
  • In Your Dreams (Blue Heron, #4)
  • Anything for You (Blue Heron, #5)

Articles featuring this book

“Maybe love isn't just a bouquet of roses once in a whole. Maybe it's just sticking it out, when it's hard, when you're mad, when you're tired.” 27 likes
“I don't want to lose you, I love you, and…and that's all I've got.”
As speeches went, it wasn't great. As feelings went…different story.”
26 likes