Start by marking “The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)” as Want to Read:
The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud, #1.6)

The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance (Blud #1.6)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  374 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
A lady with a penchant for pets meets a sexy fireman in this magical and saucy steampunk eNovella from the author of Wicked as They Come.

In a world ruled by blood, live pets are rare and kindness rarer still. London pet shop owner Frannie Pleasance has a mysterious way with animals and keeps her charges (and heart) locked in a veritable Eden. She thinks Casper Sterling is
Published April 1st 2013 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance

Jill
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it

Frannie Pleasance owns the pet shop Needful Creatures. Used to rescuing and caring for animals, she offers a room to Casper Sterling whom she finds on the streets, hungover and slightly beaten. When Frannie's home above the pet shop catches fire in suspicious circumstances, Thom Maccallan a firefighter with the Metropolitan Fire Brigade comes to her rescue.

This is yet another delightful short story based in Sangland. It is probably best to read book #1 the full-length novel Wicked as They Come t
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
(Note: If you haven't read the first book, Wicked As They Come, there will be things you won't understand in this review. Please feel free to check out the reviews for that book to help you.)

I really wasn't expecting an actual story about pets but that's exactly what you get with this novella...well, sort of. Frannie has inherited her family's pet store and has continued to make it thrive by selling actual animals instead of clockworks. One morning she comes across Casper Sterling, who appears t
Beth
Pet shop owner, Frannie Pleasance, finds a man unconscious on the streets of London. This man resembles her brother and she takes him in penniless as a boarder. It just so happens that her new boarder is Casper, a musical maestro.

Strange and deadly situations start occurring the very first night Casper stays at Frannie’s home. One occurance is a fire bringing a kilt wearing Scottish fireman named Thom Maccallan into Frannie and Casper’s lives.

Who is the target of these deadly attacks? Who can
Stephanie

Delilah S. Dawson
Simon and Schuster/Pocket Star
April 2013
E-Book - Novella
Provided by NetGalley loan of an E-ARC. No remuneration exchanged. Except as noted all opinions herein are my own.

This is a really early review but, I really love Deliliah's books and I was in the mood for something short.

This e-novella follows Casper to London as he begins to rise to star
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5
This is much better than Madam Morpho's story. In a hundred or so pages the author actually managed to tell a very good story. It slowly moves from one point to another, revealing bit by bit. I liked it.
Frannie finds Casper lying in the street, drunk and unconscious. Since she sort of collects strays, she takes him home. That same night a fire breaks out in her room and soon it becomes clear that someone is trying to either kill her or at least harm her.
The fire had one good consequence thou
Katie_la_geek
Jan 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
I really enjoy Delilah S Dawson’s Blud series; I think it is entertaining and well written. So far she has not created a character I dislike and that didn’t change after reading The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance.

Frannie is a great lead character; she is strong, kind and likeable from beginning to end. She has no problem standing up for herself which I also liked. I was in love with Scottish fireman Thom the moment he appeared. He is completely devastating, charming, tough and brave with a kind
Katie(babs)
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Cute short about a pet shop owner, the mysterious, drunken musician she saves and the burly, kilt wearing fireman (he has a brogue, be still me hear) who saves her after someone sets her shop on fire. Love this world, the language, the animals and the hot sex in this novella.

Fans of Delilah will want to read this one.
Rachel Brand
This is definitely the best of the novellas in the Blud series. I loved how respectful and thoughtful Thom was, recognising that Frannie had experienced some sort of trauma and just backing off rather than forcing her to talk about it or overcome it. More heroes like Thom, please!
Dark Faerie Tales
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This story has steampunk, unusual animals, and handsome men fighting for the love of one woman. On top of that, someone wants to end said woman’s life before she can find her happily-ever-after.

Opening Sentence: There was nothing unusual about finding a dead man face down in the London gutter.

The Review:

I really liked this book. I’m actually reading this series backwards by accident, but I am just in love with Delilah S. Dawson’s Blud serie
Lisa {Silverlight} {Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Reviews}
No matter what the circumstances, one thing is for certain,
Delilah Dawson delivers once again in the next novella of the Blud series.

In this next installment to the Blud world, we as readers get another introduction to Casper Sterling. Casper made a brief, but vital introduction in the first book, Wicked As They Come, and as we gear up with excitement, over his soon to be released book, Wicked As She Wants, we get a brief look at his life in Paris as a famous musician, and the unlikely heroin wh
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)

THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE is another great example of the talent Ms. Dawson has. Freakishly good! We are introduced to Frannie Pleasance, owner and shopkeeper of a pet store in times when everyone has clockworks instead. She is that ray of hope that has sort of dimmed because of the world she lives in but she still holds a piece of that with her.

She rescues Casper, sort of, off the London streets and offers him to rent her brothers’ room. He reminds her of her dead brother, w
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
I've said it before and I will say it again: I love Sang. The world Dawson has created is so complex, with many many layers, and each time I go there, it's like visiting a favorite vacation spot.

A vacation spot where even the rats can kill you, because they are bludrats. There are also bludmen, bludbunnies (which were certainly missed in this novella, but as it takes place in Sang's London it makes sense), blud ... well, pretty much any mammal has a blud equivalent. And what makes this short sto
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
* * * 4.5 Stars * * *

The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance was everything that Blud fans have come to expect from this series. It's a story that immediately sucks you in with its interesting characters, original world building, and sweet romance that leads to smokin' hot sex. And this time, instead of a gypsy bludman in a top hat or a mysterious mechanist, we're treated to an animal-loving fireman in a kilt.

The story features a delightful woman named Frannie Pleasance who lives a sheltered life t
WTF Are You Reading?
Frannie Pleasance's heart for all things stray has her caring for more than just the birds, kittens, and puppies that she takes into her shop. When she finds Casper, sick and alone in the road, and wearing a face so such like that of her dead brother Bertrem. She knows that she must do her best to help him...but at what price?
Readers will be taken with this story from the start. Frannie is a delightful character with a sweet heart and a quiet life in her pet shop.
That quiet is quickly shattered
Ericka Axelsson
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Getting this much backstory in the characters of a novella is something most authors can't pull off. But in this wonderful story we are treated to rich characters whose full lives are reveled to us without hitting us over the head with details, more in the engaging way you learn about a friend through conversation. That said this tale is far more than backstory, it is an adventure in the dangerous world of Sang where we at first think we are following Casper, a character from a the first Blud No ...more
Karissa
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all of Dawson’s novellas set in the Blud world (I like the novellas even better than the full length novels). This was a wonderfully unique and sweet novella that I absolutely adored. I love animals and loved Frannie’s beautiful shop full of critters.

The romance between Frannie and Thom is sweetly done and was just so perfect. These characters had great chemistry together.

I also enjoyed spending some time in Blud’s version of London. Additionally, we get to see what Casper was up to
Brandielle
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I liked it but I don’t want to read any more of the books in the series. Not sure why exactly...maybe the vampire thing? I’m seriously burnt out on vampires.
The Book Tart
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Book Tart http://thebooktart.com/new-fiction-re...

I love the writing style of Delilah S. Dawson! I fell in love with it when I read Wicked As She Comes last spring and with every book I’ve just fallen harder. I see her stories in living color. They read very visual and paint pictures in my imagination. The feelings and emotions she invokes can be beautiful, snarky, painful, sensual, scary and wicked… and all this just in a novella!

The heroine is the owner of a pet shop w
Melanie Marsh
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cute novella set in the crazy world of Sang. Frannie Pleasance owns and runs a pet store called Needful Creatures. She lives alone above the pet store, having lost her parents in a conveyance accident, and her brother was lost a few years later. She is a very strong and independent woman to live alone in such a harsh world.

When she takes in a boarder who strongly resembles her brother, things start to really go wrong. Someone is trying to kill her! When someone lights her bedroom on f
Sophia
In this latest installment of the Blud series, the scene shifts away from Criminy's Carnival to follow a new character in London. It takes place after the first book, Wicked as They Come, but before the upcoming novel Wicked As She Wants. Though the main character is a woman from London, it does offer the story of what happens with Caspar after he leaves the Carnival so it is important to read it in order.

Alone after the deaths of the rest of her family and the poor treatment from her ex-fiance,
Marlene
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Reading Reality

As a reminder of all things Blud, The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance is a treat. It also serves as a re-introduction to Casper Sterling, Tish’s failed suitor from Wicked as They Come, since that unlucky gentleman will be the hero of Wicked As She Wants.

Casper, last seen leaving Criminy’s circus in a rather despondent mood, doesn’t appear any too well when Frannie Pleasance finds him in a London gutter. The first thing he does is yark all over himself. Then
Brianna
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
I still miss Tish and Criminy, but this was a quick and fun read. I love the world this series is set in, and it gets even better with each book. The story was a mix of romance and mystery, as Frannie, the main character, kept being attacked by outside sources, after taking Casper in as a boarder. It all started with a fire. This was where the story took off, because she met Thom, and the pace picked up.

I loved Frannie's love for animals. It made her stand out from a lot of female leads, since
Shelley
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Genre* Steampunk, Romance
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

If it hasn't become apparent to you by now, I have become a fan of the Blud series by Delilah Dawson and look forward to each release impatiently. In each story, Wicked as They Come, The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance, and Wicked as She Wants, the series becomes that much harder to put down in order to read something else. Each book focuses on new and interesting characters like Criminay Stain, Tish Everett, Casper Sterling, and Freesian Blud Prin
Kimberly
4.5 stars - My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2013/04...

In the grim and often bloody world of Sang, real pets are a rarity. Pet shop owner Frannie Pleasance is used to taking in strays, but famed musician Casper Sterling is a far different breed from her usual kittens and puppies. But taking Casper on as a lodger might be more trouble than Frannie anticipated. Upon his arrival strange and dangerous things start happening. When someone sets Frannie’s room on f
She-Wolf Reads
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an ARC review. I received a copy of this novella from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

This was another beautiful addition to Delilah S. Dawson’s wonderfully original Blud Series. In THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE, Dawson takes us out of Criminy Stain’s caravan and sets us in the London of the Blud world. Here we meet Frannie Pleasance, a pet shop owner, dealing with the loss of her family and trying dearly to protect a secret.

What I love about this serie
Traci (Mad Hatter Reads)
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5

In Sang, the majority of animals are blud creatures that must be guarded against at all times. Pets are most often clockworks but Frannie Pleasance deals in a rarity...real, live puppies, kittens, birds and other creatures. At her pet shop, Needful Creatures, Frannie takes in, cares for and places the furry, feather, and scaly in proper homes. That even includes the wayward Maestro, Casper Sterling.

But trouble starts to plaque the pet shop once the rakish Maestro is settl
Melindeeloo
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
I read this story when it first came out and I very much enjoyed the little romance between pet shop owner Fannie and the kilt wearing fireman (brogue, kilt, fireman, sigh...) but it was very interesting to look back through it after reading Casper's book, Wicked as She Wants, because there were a lot of subtle hints as to what was going on with him in this story and a very nice letter to Fannie at the end to let us know that he's more than the drunk he seems here at heart. So fun on it's own - ...more
Nita
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Frannie Pleasance is a little fearful of the world right now. She generally sticks to her pet shop only venturing out when she needs to. On one of her excursions, she comes across a passed out, beat up, and naked fellow. If you've read Wicked as They Come (I highly recommend you do, if you haven't), then you're probably curious to find out what happened to Casper. You get a glimpse of what his life has been like since leaving the circus and coming to London, because he is the man Frannie finds p ...more
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another quickie read, The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance takes back to Delilah S. Dawson's Sangland! Here we meet pet shop owner Frannie and how she stumbles upon a druken Casper Sterling. He resembles his departed brother, so she takes pity on him and brings him home with her. It's also home to her pet shop where she sells exotic animals to Sangland. Basically, she sells pets we'd see in our world here, Corgis, birds, kittens, reptiles...you name it!

But suddenly one night her shop is caught on
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Wicked As She Wants is the next full length novel is Dawson’s Blud series. Casper Sterling is the hero. Readers are briefly introduced to Casper in Wicked As They Come. The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance read like a bridge book to me. Casper has an insane amount of page time for a character who is not the hero if this novella. I guess I will find out next month if this is necessary for his book to make sense.

Frannie an independent woman who owns and runs her own pet shop sees her baby brother i
  • Silent Warrior (Dragon Kings, #0.5)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • Tethered (Iron Seas, #2.5)
  • His Lordship Possessed (Disenchanted & Co., Book 1, Part #2)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Entwined (Darkest London, #3.5)
  • Tempest (MetaWars, #3)
  • Legacy (The League of Illusion #1)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
Delilah S. Dawson writes whimsical and dark Fantasy for adults and teens. Her Blud series for Pocket includes Wicked as They Come, Wicked After Midnight, and Wicked as She Wants, winner of the RT Book Reviews Steampunk Book of the Year and May Seal of Excellence for 2013. Her YA debut, Servants of the Storm, is a Southern Gothic Horror set in Savannah, GA, and HIT is about teen assassins in a bank ...more
More about Delilah S. Dawson

Blud (4 books)
  • Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1)
  • Wicked as She Wants (Blud, #2)
  • Wicked After Midnight (Blud, #3)
  • Wicked Ever After (Blud, #4)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Bend in the Road
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be