Jump to ratings and reviews

Jackson Hole #1.1 (Too Fast to Fall)

Be Mine: Sizzle\Too Fast to Fall\Alone With You

Sizzle by Jennifer Crusie
Business takes a backseat when successful ad executive Emily Tate meets Richard Parker. He's an accountant who's been sent to keep her in line and under budget in her ad campaign for a sensual new perfume called Sizzle. And if Emily's not careful, she could well melt in Richard's hands.

Too Fast to Fall by Victoria Dahl
For Jenny Stone, driving is her escape-from her past, her problems, her quiet life in Jackson Hole. But after Deputy Nate Hendricks stops her-again-for speeding, she could lose more than just her license. She could lose her heart. Nate seems to think that Jenny should replace her love for fast driving with something even more...heart pumping. And despite her need for speed, Jenny's never been one for defying the law.

Alone With You by Shannon Stacey
When waitress Darcy Vaughan's friend asks her to help out with the launch of a fledgling restaurant, she's happy to oblige. Little does she know the owner is Jake Holland, the perfect guy who slipped through her fingers after their one night of passion. But for Darcy and Jake, one touch was just not enough.

400 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jennifer Crusie

79 books7,210 followers
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 199 reviews
Profile Image for Exina.
1,182 reviews370 followers
March 21, 2020
Be Mine is a contemporary romance collection, it contains three short stories. First of all, Victoria Dahl’s story, Too Fast To Fall, is absolutely worth reading!

Too Fast To Fall by Victoria Dahl

5 stars out of 5

It was just perfect! I absolutely loved it! Given a not-too-complicated, everyday situation, an endearing couple, some trouble, some misunderstanding, some uncertainty, great chemistry, the finest not love, but attraction confession without saying those certain three little words, and an ending which equals the beginning of an awesome relationship.
Driving made her happy. The feel of the power at her fingertips. The rush of the wind past her open window when the weather cooperated. And the faster she drove, the freer she felt. Fifty-five miles per hour wasn't happiness.

I loved the contrast between Nate’s calmness and soberness and Jenny’s lightness, vehemence, and delightful charm. Not only the both of them are nicely delineated, but Ms. Dahl did a great job even with the characterization of the secondary characters, making them distinguishable.

Loved the story, too, it was simple, realistic, humorous, without too much drama, without exaggeration. The erotic scenes were delicious as well.

It is the first story I’ve read by Victoria Dahl, but I'm sure there will be more!

Sizzle by Jennifer Crusie

1 stars out of 5

I didn’t like Sizzle at all.
The story. Emily is a marketing professional, promoting products with high success, but also high costs. Richard is a financial adviser, hired to rationalize the costs of her upcoming project.
Of course, Emily is pissed off by her hands being tied in her campaign, even more by the fact that Richard is an arrogant jerk, who never listens to her.
They soon fall in love with each other, but Richard still doesn’t listen, so Emily teaches him a lesson.

Characters. Both Emily and Richard are irritating characters.
Richard is arrogant, autocratic, controlling, and “doesn’t listen”. Of course, he is incredibly handsome and has an amazing body.
Emily is hostile, haughty, self-centered, and doesn’t listen either. Her behavior is not consequent. She tells him she doesn’t want to date him, but after a minute she openly flirts with him.
She is totally pissed off that Richard never listens (I swear, I should have counted this phrase – almost the whole story is about Richard’s deafness), but Richard says he is sorry and Emily is fine with it.

Then he touched her and said “I’m sorry” again, and she gave up and said, “That’s good enough for me.”

Really? Is that enough?
Then Richard doesn’t listen again (See? Boring!), and Emily is pissed off again.
It is weird that she doesn’t like his personality, but loves him. Of course you also get some information on the positive features of Richard’s character, but not enough to give a good account of falling in love with him.

Erotica. I don’t remember if I ever read such boring erotic scenes. They are written in a factual, clinical style: he did this, she did that, and so on. I didn’t feel the “sizzle”.
I was so bored by the lecturing sex scene (see above) that I skipped the paragraphs.

I didn’t understand what the basis of their love was, but as these two have equally irritating personalities, I guess they fit each other. If Emily and Richard are real, I believe their relationship won’t last over two months.

Alone With You by Shannon Stacey

2 stars out of 5

An average story again. Actually, it is not as bad as Sizzle, because the characters are both likeable. I appreciate their honesty and no-games attitude.
But the story is just lame. After one night of passion, Jake never calls Darcy. He wanted to, but lost her number, and did everything to find her, with no success. Of course, Darcy doesn’t believe him when they meet six weeks later. They establish being merely colleagues, and working together on opening a new bar, but three weeks later the chemistry between them takes over. So far, it’s good. Not so original, but good.
She frowned at him. "Are you picturing me naked right now?"
"No."
"Okay, good."
"I'm picturing you in thigh-high, black leather boots, wearing one of those corset things that pushes your boobs up."

But the end! Another week later, Jake Why, dear God, why?? Fortunately, it is made privately, not in public.

All in all, Alone With You is an easily forgettable story, I try to forget Sizzle, but Too Fast To Fall is a lovely romance you shouldn’t miss!
Profile Image for Alp.
731 reviews364 followers
September 29, 2018
3.5/5

**This review is only for Sizzle by Jennifer Crusie

Funny and sexy.

This wasn't what I expected, especially from this author. Even so, it was enjoyable enough. Plus Richard and Emily's sexy times were sooooooo hot! *fans self*

I adored Richard. He came across as a combination of sexiness, sweetness, and cluelessness. He fell head over heels in love with Emily and that was so cute. However, his biggest flaw was that he never listened to Emily when she seriously wanted him to. Not that he ignored her or didn’t care about her, but it was like when he focused his mind on something like when having sex with her, his concentration was on the task at hand only. At that moment, nothing else mattered except for giving her the most pleasure. And you know what? At first, I really thought he had some ears problems because it seemed like he genuinely didn’t hear what she said! LOL It’s difficult to tell whether it was a bad habit or an endearing one!

Despite his imperfections, I loved this man anyway!

Emily, on the other hand, was a meh character. I tried to like her, but I really had a hard time warming up to her. The more I read, the harder I could connect to her character. I still don’t understand why her? What special thing Richard saw in her?

The overall plot was a bit too plain but the story was quite fast-paced. It was a pleasant mixture of humor, delight, cuteness, and sexiness.

All in all, it was a nice read. I enjoyed it for the most part.
Profile Image for Anita.
2,029 reviews136 followers
June 22, 2016
Sizzle by Jennifer Cruise - 5 stars
I miss Jennifer Cruise. I want a new book really bad, but this oldie is really funny and so hot is really does Sizzle.

Emily Tate is a marketing director for a perfume company. her last campaign went over budget, even though it made millions for the company. Richard Parker is a budget czar who has be hired to oversee all projects. Emily is not happy. This numbers geek just doesn't listen! But, boy or boy, is he hot.

Too Fast to Fall by Victoria Dahl - 4 stars
This is a cute romantic-suspense lite, really lite, story about Jenny, who has a led foot, and Nate, the cop who keeps pulling her over for speeding. After their numerous meetings on the side of the road, there is a serious case of attraction going on for both of them. Throw in a pot farm and an ex and Jenny and Nate have a lot to work out.

Alone With You by Shannon Stacey - 5 stars
Sweet one night stand romance that turns into HEA for Jake and Darcy. It all started on Trivial Pursuit Tuesday at the local bar. Darcy needed a partner and tall, dark and handsome Jake was perfect. The hot night was followed with Jake hitting the road to open a new restaurant. Darcy's number gets messed up and he can't call her or find her until she walks into his new restaurant. She has been sent by his partner, Kevin, to help open the restaurant and she is pissed to find her one night stand who could have been Mr. Right.
Profile Image for Desere.
758 reviews77 followers
January 18, 2013
Three of the most awesome and intensely written stories of romance of all time, nicely packaged into one read.

All three the stories in this book were hot, hot, hot. And filed with romance, passion, intrigue and the perfect elements for Valentines!

In the first book Sizzle by Jennifer Crusie I was entertained with fun, witty and sassy one liners and I really laughed out loud at the scenarios the characters ended up in. The story was about Emily and Richard, he needs to control her and control her he will, be it in the office or in his bed. Fun, sexy and and a really great romantic comedy, with loads of sizzle! This is a new author to me but I will for sure be looking for me of her books.

The second book was from Victoria Dahl the queen of hot romance herself. And my oh my was this read hot and sexy to the point of distraction! I met Jenny and Nate were the perfectly matched couple. She loves speed but when she meets Nate she finds herself not speeding her car but rather trying to calm her racing heartbeat. The book was seriously sexy! Victoria has once again captured my heart.

The last read in this book was one from Shannon Stacey. It dealt with Darcy and Jake, a couple so meant to be together! After their one incredibly hot night they went their separate ways however when they come face to face again they decide that one night was so not enough! A really hot read and the author has again proved to me that if it is meant to be it will be.

Each book was uniquely written by three very talented authors. It dealt with elements of old fires rekindled, new love found and self discovery.

If your looking for the perfect read to snuggle down to this is the read for you. You will not only be entertained you find yourself crying, laughing, and at the end of the day you will also walk away with three valuable lessons learned from each book.

Harlequin has combined three of the most sexy and passionate reads perfectly. I highly recommend this read to all lovers of sexy, fun and flirty romance.

5/5 star review

" A sizzling, sexy, falling for a fictional hero read"
Profile Image for Meagan.
1,317 reviews46 followers
February 5, 2013
Review part one: Sizzle by Jennifer Crusie

I am a devoted fan of Jennifer Crusie, and a long-time romance reader. And I have to be honest, if I weren't aware of what Crusie is capable of, I would write this story off. It's got two pretty big problems, and since I'm used to the cliches of romanceland I probably could have rolled with one. But having both left me ... disappointed. Cliche/problem #1 - The Asshat Hero. This hero didn't listen to a word the heroine said. Not one. Not even after she pointed out the problem and told him that it was absolutely enraging. The heroine gives him a taste of his own medicine, and he magically reforms, but it felt too easy. Cliche/problem #2 - Instalove. Now, I'm a romance reader. I can roll with a certain degree of Instalove. I'm perfectly used to the main couple experiencing immediate attraction, infatuation, lust, and even love. But these two were exchanging "I love you's" on, I think, the second date. Planning marriage! No discussion about how they just met. About how they work together. About how he's acting like an asshat, which is not lovely behavior. Just "I love you. Let's get married. Please behave better, k?" And I think this demonstrates the weakness of the romance novella or short story. You just can't cram a real relationship into one hundred pages. Not even a simplified romanceland relationship. I find it more satisfying to bring us to the dawning realization of feeeelings when you're pressed for space. Let us imagine the coming engagement. It's more achievable. Oh, well. I have high hopes for story #2 by Victoria Dahl. She's never been bound by the expectation of the HEA. Instead, she builds a solid happy-for-now with a looming HEA. Don't let me down, Dahl!

Review part two: Too Fast to Fall by Victoria Dahl

My favorite story of the collection. Maybe because I recently finished the first book in this series, so the setting and characters were particularly fresh? Hard to say. Regardless, I felt like the approach in this story was perfect. We get to see the beginnings of a relationship that shows every indication of being really strong and headed to an HEA (if they can overcome the ex-husband-obstacle), but we're not asked to buy into premature declarations and engagements. (Although I suspect those will appear in book two of the series, which I just got from NetGalley!) Lots of fun!

Review part three: Alone with You by Shannon Stacey

This one hovered right in the middle for me. It was enjoyable and I loved the characters. There were "I love yous" and an engagement, but the story takes place over many weeks, so it's credible. But at the same time, having a story that takes place over time smashed into less than one hundred pages is less than satisfying. I think I would've enjoyed it more if it were a bit longer.

All in all, this was a light and fun way to pass the time. A good read for the Valentine's Day season, if that's something you're into.
Profile Image for Christine.
621 reviews8 followers
May 8, 2017
Sizzle- 1 star
There's nothing that quite ruins a story like when two characters meet and only moments later are talking love and marriage. I don't understand why some authors find a relationship so boresome that they have to skip it and promise readers a lifetime comittment right off the bat.

As for the characters, I found the heroine to be difficult and annoying. She wasn't bossy - she was a raving lunatic with zero regard for direction. We're supposed to believe that everything she ever does just works out and she's amazing and can do no wrong? Please. The hero also had a gag that he didn't listen and it was irritating but charming and blah blah. No, it was the opposite of that. It even got to the point where he had sex with the heroine even though she told him to stop! Are you kidding me!? In no universe is that even remotely sexy.

Too Fast to Fall- 4 stars
This story makes up for the awfulness of the last one. It features a man in uniform investigating a small town crime, which our heroine just so happens to stumble into. I would have loved to read a full-length book about these characters but it was a good glimpse into that world for what you do get. Plus I'm a fan of Dahl's work so there's that.

Alone With You- 3 stars
I'd rate this one somewhere between the other two. It was just OK. The characters were likeable enough but there's nothing overly memorable about the story. The two fall into love pretty quickly, although not as quickly as the couple from the first story. Maybe I'm just cynical, but I'm just not a fan of marriage proposals in less than 50 pages.

When it comes down to it, I'd only recommend reading the second story and skipping the others.
Profile Image for Karen.
321 reviews
January 25, 2013
The three stars is an average, because the collection was a bit of a mixed bag. I'd really looked forward to reading new stories by Jennifer Crusie and Victoria Dahl (I'd never read anything of Shannon Stacey's before), but I was in for partial disappointment. The Jennifer Crusie offering turned out to be old enough to vote (the title page reverse says it's copyrighted 1994), and it read like it. It was HORRIBLY dated (VCRs? big hair? please), and despite headlining a Valentine's Day anthology, it had nothing at all to do with Val Day. One star-- the anthology would've been stronger without it.

The Victoria Dahl offering was loads better, though a little on the short side comparatively. It's part of her new Jackson Hole series.

The Shannon Stacey is an offshoot of her Kowalski family series, and I think I liked it best of the three.
Profile Image for Monica.
Author 102 books1,053 followers
December 30, 2012
The first story was a DNF for me. The 'love bomb' was dropped at a weird moment with no build up and it was just not right. After that, I was done. The other two stories were perfect though so I decided to ignore this one before I moved to the other two as far as my rating goes.

Victoria Dahl's story is set in her new town, complete with a saloon and sexy cowboys. I loved this story, it was perfect, cute, not too over the top, and had a small valentine's theme which was adorable.

Shannon Stacey's story was adorable. Super sexy and super cute. I loved it, the timing was right on and the ending was wonderful.

I usually am not one for anthologies but when I got this one in my monthly HQN subscription I decided I needed a cute weekend pick-me-up. It was perfect, sexy, and fun.
Profile Image for Maria.
657 reviews45 followers
July 2, 2018
Oh man....
I was hoping to read some good romantic novellas and I knew that Cruisie in the past had given me just that so I took a chance because I've been curious about Dahl but this... eh.

Crusie's "Sizzle" was a flop. I couldn't get into it as I found both characters to be irritating in different ways; Richard by being autocratic and demanding while Emily was hostile and came across as self-centered but what really annoyed me was that these two, with these traits supposedly fell into instalust because of it and that didn't work. So 1 star for "Sizzle".

Dahl's "Too Fast to Fall" was funny and charming and I wish I had more. Nate and Jenny were different as night and day and they balanced each other out really well but more to the point, the side characters were just as well written and for a novella, she provided enough details to give you a good hint into the characters and it painted a more realistic romance so 3.5 stars here.

Stacey's "Alone with You" started strong. It came across as modern and fun and it had trivia so I was invested. This story had some of my fave things - one night stand that could be more, witty dialogue, fun lines, two people having to share a space - so I kept reading and the more I kept reading the more OK it became. Maybe it was the limited page count, but I think this could have turned out better had somethings been cut down to make room for more character building so 2.5 stars here.
Profile Image for Ana.
387 reviews67 followers
July 18, 2016
I usually like everything Jennifer Crusie writes and I've recently gotten into Shannon Stacey but I agonized through this book of short stories. The Crusie story was too of its time which was about 10 years ago and just didn't age well. Or maybe I didn't age well. It was about an ad exec and a perfume campagin and its a world I'm a little too familiar with. I now know how cops feel reading mystery stories. "That would never happen in a real pitch meeting!" I kept yelling at the book the same way I'm sure cops and lawyers yell when they read bad police procedures or court proceedings.

The Victoria Dahl story was okay if a bit rushed and which is ironic sine it was about a girl who drove too fast.

And the Shannon Stacey story was just... okay. I liked the premise of how the couple met and the "stranded in snowed in restaurant in Maine" as how they had to work out their differences. It had the most potential of them all.

I'm glad I found this book in the secondhand bin. And its going right back.
Profile Image for Keri.
2,036 reviews97 followers
May 24, 2016
3.75 Stars

JC's story was pretty funny in places with her and her secretary going back and forth. But when it came to the H/H, frankly I didn't like either one of them and had a hard time staying with the story.

VC's story was better and very hot. Jenny and Nate rocked the smexy times. I also appreciated that we didn't have an ILY at the end. The story was too short for that, but there was plenty of you give me lots of explosive o's and we must continue delving into this. :-)
Profile Image for Shelly.
358 reviews
February 20, 2016
I wasn't sure about this anthology, especially after the first story by Jennifer Crusie. But the last two stories more than made up for it! I liked the characters and plots in both. The Crusie story was by far the weakest of the three. It was written about 20 years before the other two, and you could tell. Even for an anthology story it moved way too fast. The characters were also really unlikable.
Profile Image for Dahrose.
540 reviews12 followers
August 22, 2021
Less than ten years old, this book has not aged at all well.
Cruise's story was just a whole bunch of no's for me. The guy never listens, even when he is causing her physical pain, she's saying stop, and he doesn't. The running 'joke' seems to be that he doesn't listen, and he doesn't. Several times his actions could be construed as approaching rape, if not sexual harassment in the workplace - because every woman wants to be orally gratified at work whilst just any old employee can walk in - seriously? That is not sexy. The Heroine was all over the place, supposedly bottling up all her rage and acting modest and quiet even though she is supposedly the 'superstar' money earner of the company. But with the Hero, she acts herself, for some unknown reason and is nothing but rage and acting out - instead of acting smart. And we are supposed to believe that after that one session of her teaching him a lesson he will treat her as an equal and listen from now on in? Please, this guy needed a clever, inspired, lesson which the author failed to deliver on.

Stahl's book 2 - The Heroine is a speed demon, flying around icy roads and he's a cop who pulls her over, at least five times and counting. I'm sorry, but this chick is a dangerous ditz. Cars are weapons. This premise was so unfunny and unromantic I was wincing. I haven't finished this tale yet, or the next novella on offer in this book - but these stories are jumping up and down on all my hot button issues and I doubt anything is going to change that.
Profile Image for Susan.
4,225 reviews89 followers
June 7, 2014
SIZZLE by Jennifer Crusie

Emily is an ad exec who is very good at what she does, but she does have problems keeping within a budget. The company assigns accountant Richard Parker to keep her under control. Emily calls him Richard the Hun because of his habit of just rolling right over anything she has to say.

Emily doesn't want anyone trying to control what she does. She's determined to do things her way no matter what. She is frustrated because he doesn't listen to what she says about her advertising needs. She is also attracted to him, just as he is to her. I was a bit put off by the way he was coming on to her at work. It felt a bit too much like sexual harassment to me. She said no to going out with him several times before she gave in. Then when they went out, he never listened to what she said, ordering for her at the restaurant, ignoring her when she told him what she wanted. Then later, practically assaulting her, not listening to her when she said stop. Richard was a total jerk through most of the story. He ignored just about everything she said. When she'd get through to him he'd say "sorry" but then go right back to not listening. I'd have hit him with something hard to try to get through. I didn't really feel the relationship between them. Even her "lesson" on listening felt more like a sex scene he sort of liked than an actual lesson, as shown by his actions the next day. He finally got it when her secretary lectured him, and he came through on the advertising campaign, but I hold out no hope that he actually changed. I understand why Jennifer Crusie herself doesn't like this story. From the FAQs on her page: "Can I write to your publisher to request that they publish a reprint Sizzle?
DO NOT ASK FOR A SIZZLE REPRINT. That damn book is following me around the way early porn films follow actresses."

TOO FAST TO FALL by Victoria Dahl
Series: Jackson Hole (Book 1.75)

For Jenny Stone, driving is her escape -- from her past, her problems, her quiet life in Jackson Hole. But after Deputy Nate Hendricks stops her -- again -- for speeding, she could lose more than just her license. She could lose her heart. Nate seems to think that Jenny should replace her love for fast driving with something even more...heart pumping. And despite her need for speed, Jenny's never been one for defying the law.

I really liked this one. Jenny is a pretty responsible person in everything except her driving. Sometimes she just needs to go out and drive fast. Unfortunately for her, Deputy Nate Hendricks seems to be on that same stretch of the road when she does. So far she's only gotten warnings, but this time he tells her to get to driving school before he stops her again and gives her a ticket that will get her license pulled.

Nate doesn't know why he keeps letting Jenny off, but she gets his motor running. When he makes plans to meet his cousin, he chooses to do it at the saloon where Jenny works. At that point, they connect during something other than a traffic stop and their chemistry is off the charts. Just when things start to get interesting they are interrupted by Jenny's flaky ex-husband.

Jenny feels guilty about the way her marriage ended so she agrees to store some landscaping equipment for him until he can make other arrangements. At the same time Nate discovers that he is involved in some shady business with Nate's cousin's nephew, and fears that Jenny is also involved. When he goes to her house to ask her about her ex, he ends up getting distracted, then sticks his foot in his mouth by questioning her after they'd had sex.

Nate is torn because he doesn't want to believe she's involved, but it's hard to ignore what he sees. Jenny is hurt by his lack of trust, and does what she does best, which is run. She has to decide if it's time for her to stop running away from her problems and start running toward a chance for happiness. I loved the ending and Nate's really sweet way of grovelling.

ALONE WITH YOU by Shannon Stacey
Series: Kowalski (Book 6.5)

My favorite of the three stories. Darcy meets Jake at a local bar where she is participating in Trivia Night. Her usual partner isn't there, so Jake is assigned to her. He is passing through on his way to open a restaurant in another town. They connect quickly and have a hot night together. He gets her number and promises to call. Through a series of unfortunate events, the number gets destroyed and he can't call, though he tries hard to find her.

Darcy's boss, Kevin Kowalski, asks her to help his friend set up their new restaurant. She is stunned to discover that the friend is Jake, the guy who got away. She figures that he was just a player and refuses to listen to his excuses. The attraction is still there, but they agree to keep their relationship professional.

This decision gives them a chance to get to know each other without the physical getting in the way. They develop an excellent friendship and working partnership. I really enjoyed the banter between them, especially when it came to the menu items. The friendship develops into love for both of them, but neither one actually says it. Jake has these great plans running around in his head for Valentine's Day and the grand opening, but doesn't let Darcy in on any of it. All she sees is him talking about how well they've worked together, so she takes her broken heart back home. It takes friends pointing out to them what idiots they're being for them to come to their senses. I loved the ending and how Jake used a trivia contest to show her how he cared.
Profile Image for Marie.
263 reviews
July 7, 2021
Sizzle was 2 out of 5 stars:
The couple did not match well and the story was not that interesting. The Couple did not work well for me, they did not feel right and they did not seem to work together. The story was a little boring and bland, not that interesting.

Too Fast To Fall was 3 out of 5 stars:
The couple worked and the story was interesting and enjoyable. Though Nate was a little to much, he just needed to listen to Jenny. They did work as a couple and the story was good. The little bit of action made the story enjoyable. For a short story it was interesting and good.

Alone With You was 4 out of 5 stars:
The couple just clicked and the story was stunning. The setting for the story was interesting and the background between them made the story more interesting. Darcy and Jake just had the chemistry to make this story interesting and brilliant. This was the best one out of the three.

Overall Be mine was alright for a short story collection. Enjoyable and nice to read. The Romance was sometimes a miss, however most of the romance worked and was brilliant.
Profile Image for Amber Taylor.
Author 1 book7 followers
October 22, 2017
Jennifer Cruise Sizzle is disgusting, he literally raped her, this was a sick book where a man continually ignored what a woman said, "no, stop, I don't want" in several scenes and each time so was ignored, 1 time she was in pain and was ignored, the next she was saying she couldn't have sex and was ignored.

this is even worse is each time she just "let it go" so we are teaching women now to "oh it's okay" to be hurt, raped or ignored even on small issues...just let it go. Shannon stacey book was good(I read it first as she is author I really liked) , I was so disgusted I didn't read the second author in this book. I'm disgusted this was put to print.
Profile Image for Charlene Gordon.
650 reviews2 followers
January 28, 2021
Now I know why I don’t read romance novels. I picked this up at a Little Free Library without a cover on it because I saw Jennifer Crusie’s name on it and I’ve enjoyed a few of her novels in the past. I’ve never heard of the other two authors.

The 3 short stories are very light reading, silly plots, silly characters, and quite a bit of soft porn. With all the craziness in the news in January 2021 I thought I needed something frivolous to read and this certainly fit the bill. If you want to waste your reading time, this is the perfect book for that. The only reason I finished it was that I just can’t leave a book unfinished. In all my reading years I’ve only left one book unfinished.
Profile Image for Dekaydreader.
418 reviews17 followers
October 6, 2017
Sizzle didn't much; a shame, since I usually like Jennifer Crusie. I've read this before, but wanted to have another look at one of Dahl's contemporary stories, and this was available at the library. Novella vs. full novel isn't always a fair evaluation of an author, in fact usually not; so many authors shine at one and stink at the other. At any rate, Sizzle rates maybe 1.5 stars as I find the basic premise unacceptable, or at least unpalatable. Other two stories I give 3.5 - 4 stars. Fun overall.
Profile Image for MPSchaff.
143 reviews12 followers
April 2, 2021
I enjoy these authors in general, but really enjoy how dated this book of three short stories was in particular. At one point, the heroine of Crusie's story says that she has to go and rent a VCR in order to watch a VHS tape. The main conflict in Dahl's story stems from someone attempting a sad little marijuana farm in federal forest land. The glimpses of brilliant writing are there, but I don't think any of these authors would like to be reminded of these early attempts.
Profile Image for Frank.
177 reviews
October 5, 2019
Sizzle: Richard sure lived up to his nickname...Dick. But in true Crusie fashion, she made me like the story. Jane was a riot! Sort of wish we had her own book.

Too fast to fall: Liked it a lot, but Nate’s after sex small talk could use some help.

Alone with you: First book i’ve read by Shannon Stacey, and I will have to check her others out! Wish this could have been a full novel.
141 reviews
April 29, 2019
I loved reading these 3 mini stories. Only thing I disliked is that there were a lot of typos in each story, including messing up the main characters name in 2 of the stories. I normally can skip over typos but renaming your main character is a big one for me.
Profile Image for Teri-K.
1,996 reviews43 followers
Shelved as 'dnf'
March 24, 2020
Three novellas.

Sizzle, by Cruisie was a total flop. I enjoy some of her lively, funny romances. This one tried to be erotica. The MCs were confusing and inconsistent and the situations were frankly dumb. ot a success.
Profile Image for Valerie.
217 reviews1 follower
January 19, 2021
Sizzle - 2 stars maybe if I'm being generous. wasn't believable in any way shape or form. multiple instances of a partner saying "no" or "Stop" and it being ignored. Not romantic.
Too Fast To Fall - cute!
Alone With You - awwwww, loved it!
75 reviews
May 29, 2021
Loved the wit and banter of the Crusie which was my favourite of the three, but there is a problem with the hero (although it's an interesting one, and not one I've encountered before). I liked everything about the Stacey apart from the sex which was dulltastic.
75 reviews
July 27, 2021
Profile Image for Jackie.
130 reviews
September 26, 2021
Such a cute anthology of stories! Definitely insta-love done right.

I also only realized at the end of story 2 that it was a Valentine’s Day themed anthology lol. Enjoyed all the stories a lot but it took me a second to get into them all which is normal for anthologies I’d say.
September 27, 2014
2/5... if even.
Combined this book wasn't the worst thing I've ever read but it certainly wasn't something I would ever recommend to anyone, ever. I am going to take in to consideration that each author was only allotted a little near a hundred pages so a fully fleshed out story couldn't happen. Now with that in my mind I have to say, I am and not disappointed with this book as a whole. Which is a shame considering I do rather enjoy all of the authors involved. It was too rushed and not enough pages were given... some times a girl just wants more.

-Sizzle 0/5
I should have trusted the comments on this section saying that this part was abysmal, because it was just that. This didn't deserve the chance to be rated because it wasn't worth anyone's time or effort. Jennifer Crusie mentioned in a post that this story wasn't her proudest moment, and it shouldn't have been. It was written in 1994, which threw me off, especially when she mentioned having to use his VHS. The time wasn't the issue though. It was the h&h... what awful characters they were. Emily, lord what wasn't wrong Emily? She was witty but that was about all she held that made her any sort of likable. Stubborn in a lot of ways and forgiving in others, she was a contradiction. Richard, seriously the worst alpha I have ever had the displeasure of reading about. He didn't listen to a word she said which all by itself was a complete turnoff. I understand that times were different but I can assure you, twenty years ago a woman still wouldn't have put up with the bullshit that man dished out. Not a single one. He was a jerk and unlikable. She would speak and he'd casually tune her out, even when she mentioned not wanting to have sex with him he did it anyway. How in the world is that attractive? It isn't. He ordered her dinner for her and even after she mentioned not liking those as he ordered he was upset when she wouldn't eat it... just no. And then her, goodness me, she was so wishy washy. At times she was a strong lead with stubborn tendencies but then he'd pull this and she'd melt at the mention of "I'm sorry". Honestly a strong businesswoman like she was supposed to be wouldn't have given him the time of day after the scene in the restaurant. She was described as such an unrelenting person and after so much disrespect from him she just simply gave in and accepted it. And then the whole "L" bomb thing after so little time knowing one another. Talking marriage after what? Two dates. This story wasn't given many pages to string together a romance but regardless it was beyond a major disappointment. The other two were given pretty much the same amount and did fairly well with their. Shame on Harlequin for even letting the story be published again. And the last note would be it had nothing to do with Valentines Day which was the theme of this book, what kind of crap is that? Awful, would not recommend to my enemies.

-Too Fast To Fall 3/5
Not the awful garbage that the first one was but wasn't in my favorites. The biggest peeve I had with this was when they were having sex for the first time. In the copy I have on hand they called him Nick at one point. His name was Nate. I can see this slipping past an author, but the editors? Highly disappointed that this kind of mistake made it to print. It isn't just a grammatical error but a completely different name for the main male character. Other than the blaring name mistake the story wasn't bad. I liked it best of the three stories, it didn't feel as rushed. It took its time and still made the quota without seeming like too much was crammed in. I wish there had been more of a chance for Jenny to reconcile with her family, but the author did well overall with it and it has convinced me to pick up the Jackson series. The characters were fun and likable, even poor dumb Ellis. The h&h were both real and gave off a warm feeling. I really enjoyed them, they were very cute together. Deputy and a repeated speeding offender. Really kind of cute with how fun she was and how serious he could be. They just worked well. Again not a favorite but a fun little read that will lead me in to the others in this series.

-Alone With You 3/5
Again nothing in comparison to the first one and its awfulness. This one wasn't very bad at all but again with the rushing. Both characters were great in their own right, even down to their love of trivia. It was a love at first sight kind of thing and I'm fine with that most times but after a month he popped the question. The "L" bomb was a bit more understandable than that. I get it, these books only have a hundred pages, but the characters don't have to be engaged by the end of it. It might be fiction but that's so unrealistic and while I do enjoy these books for that, quickie marriages are never my thing. Maybe it's more a personal preference. But, both characters were likable and sweet and didn't make you want to tear your hair out. It seemed to be the shortest of the stories but did well with the time it was allowed. I would have loved more fleshing out of the characters but it wasn't bad at all. Hopefully she redecorates that apartment though!
Profile Image for Kristen.
87 reviews
January 10, 2018
Someone recommended this one to me because it was a cute, quick read. I didn’t really enjoy the little bit of it that I did end up reading. I didn’t quite get through the first story...
Profile Image for Stacey Elder.
233 reviews3 followers
April 13, 2018
I love Jennifer as always, but some of the stories felt a little rushed, though I’m sure that that had something to do with the condensed version of them.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 199 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.