Start by marking “Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens

Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  396 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
This delightful memoir about life with a spirited, sometimes reckless flock of backyard chickens—inspired by the author’s popular blog, “Scratch and Peck”—includes color photographs and imaginative illustrations throughout.

When longtime illustrator and lover of power tools Lauren Scheuer was looking for a project, she got the idea to raise backyard chickens. Her husband an
Published March 19th 2013 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Flock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Flock

Arminzerella
Lauren Scheuer is an artist and blogger (Scratch & Peck) who decided to raise chickens after visiting a friend’s small farm – she needed a new project for the yard. She researched different breeds and designed and built her own chicken coops/enclosures and ordered her first 4 chicks – all different breeds – to arrive in the spring. Although she’d had the chicks expertly sexed before their delivery, one of them turned out to be a rooster and had to be rehomed (roosters can be a noisy nuisance ...more
Chantel Coughlin
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just read Once Upon a Flock by Lauren Scheuer, cover to cover in about 3 hours. This book is SO GOOD! I never would have thought that chickens could have such big personalities! Complete with pictures of her fun little flock - and Marky the terrier! - this is a quick, fun read that will make you think twice before ordering chicken at a restaurant ever again :)
Dana
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book with adorable illustrations. If you are an animal lover you will love this book.

Oh man, I can't wait to get my own chickens!!!!
Laura Chandler
All backyard chicken owners -- and everyone else who has ever loved someone of another species -- will relate to Lauren Scheuer's amazing book. I haven't read any other books this woman has illustrated, but the pictures in this one are perfect and enhance the story wonderfully. She has a simple-looking style that allows the chickens to express so much while still looking like real chickens. Her photos are also great and show off how ADORABLE her flock is. The book is an easy read and has a cute, ...more
Sarah Carr
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great little book! It caught my eye, of course, because it was about chickens! The author is also the illustrator and there is a great mix of drawings and photos documenting her first start into chicken keeping. Through the highs and lows of her experiences I couldn't put the book down. I finished it in about 3 hours and did not want to stop reading, but had to force myself to go to bed! This was an easy read and I am going to see if my 10 year old would like to read it before it goes bac ...more
Kimberly
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a fellow chicken lover, this was a delightful book to read both alone and with my young son who also loves our chickens.
Tina
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birds, animals
I love this book so much that I bought it even though I read almost all of it at the bookstore. The stories are funny and dear, and Lauren's wonderful illustrations grace every page.
Jane
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Scheuer’s Once Upon a Flock: Life with My Soulful Chickens is a very sweet book about owning a small flock of chickens. This isn’t a how to, although anyone thinking of getting chickens is likely to find some useful information in it.

Scheuer really captures the personalities of the six chickens featured in her book. It helps that she is an illustrator who draws absolutely adorable pictures of her chickens and her family, often putting cute little drawings into photos.

Scheuer lives in Mas
Catherine
I totally want to hang out with Lauren Scheuer and her chickens. She is hilarious and a whole lot nicer than I am. Whereas I jailed, sentenced, and executed my murderous Buff Orpington, she carefully separated chickens who didn't like each other, rehabilitated sick chickens, and even found a way to keep a noisy rooster around.

Her photos and illustrations (she's an artist by trade), make the book even better, adding to the humor and warmth.

I especially love her coop ideas:
coop designs photo 2014-03-28_10-39-49_653.jpg

Her sketches of chick
Caren
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I had brought home a stack of interesting-looking books from the library and thought I'd spend a Sunday afternoon perusing them. I never got past this book; I read it cover-to-cover. It is just delightful. The author is an artist and has made a sort of picture book for grown-ups, with clever illustrations on nearly every page. I really like her method of placing her quirky little drawings on top of real photos. She lives in a rural area of Massachusetts in a beautiful setting. Apparently, while ...more
Stephanie A.
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
With color photographs and/or illustrations on every page, colored text, semi-glossy pages and a compact size, this book is an artistic treasure. And while it seems light on text, every word is so enchanting and paints such a whimsical picture of chicken ownership (hens who are best friends! a terrier who protects the flock like a sheepdog!) that it's nothing but sheer joy from cover to cover, albeit with one sad part. I'd say it's for any age that can grasp the vocabulary.

This book also reinvi
Deon Stonehouse
I enjoyed this light hearted memoir of Lauren Scheuer’s backyard flock. Keeping chickens is in vogue at the moment and Lauren throws herself into providing them with a distinctive and luxurious coop, it helps that she has a penchant for both design and power tools. The family dog is a bit confused as to his role with the chirping birds in his yard. Peace is negotiated and he becomes their protector, even refusing to play with his former dog pals in the backyard where the chickens forage for tast ...more
Nicole
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book. I'm an animal lover, but I never realized chickens had so much personality. I got this book on a Friday night, spent most of Saturday squeezing in a chapter here and there and finished it by late Sunday morning. Now if I can only resist the urge to build a chicken coop. Someone help me if she starts raising rabbits and writes a book about them. I'll be sunk.
Alisa Kester
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First book I've read in 2013 that will definitely be going on my Best Books of the Year list. So adorably cute and funny and heartbreaking - it's the best story of how chickens really are that I've been able to find. The illustrations are perfect; both the photographs and the drawings. Love, love, love this book, and I'm absolutely buying my own copy!
Betsy Dudley
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Illustrations are perfect! Stories are right there. If you own chickens, thinking about owning chickens and just enjoy them this book is for you. It is perfect in every way and the stories are rather endearing. Enjoyed this immensely and the best Mother's Day present ever.
Michele
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
A quick, entertaining, heart-felt read. Perfect choice for urban farmer wanna-bes.
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Delightful and charming read!
Tammy
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Heart warming and a joy to read!
Mickie
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
You think you won't cry over chickens? Think again.
Sparrow Knight
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals, nature
Cute, very entertaining w/o being sappy. Love the little illustrations throughout.
Kasi
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: personal
I adored this charming illustrated book about raising chickens. It was heartwarming and tender and made me want chickens!
Alasandra Alawine
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute and sweet book, would be perfect to read aloud to a young friend or enjoy on your own. Lovely illustrations convey the chickens personalities to a T.
Julie
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I read this book in one day. it was recommended by one of our librarians because I needed a book with pictures for a book challenge. It was surprisingly a fun read, I would have not thought a book about chickens would be so entertaining.
FluffyPolarBear
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is just the best!! The illustrations are so cute and I loved it so much! I have chickens of my own and I can relate a lot to many parts of this book. I am going to make my mom read it, my chicken friend, my other chicken friend, my other chicken friends mom...lol, I could go on forever.
Jackie Law
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once Upon A Flock, by Lauren Scheuer, is the perfect read for those of us who keep hens, those who are considering doing so, or those who are simply curious as to why back garden hen keeping has become so popular. It is a humorous account of the author’s decision to acquire a small flock of hens, and how she then came to love and care for her feathered friends.

Illustrated throughout with photographs and sketches it is a visually appealing book as well as being an entertaining read. It also provi
Kate Petrocione
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I want a flock of chickens now. . . My friends say I need to marry a farmer, because I also want a pig and goats. :P But chickens are so adorable and you can see from this that they have their own quirky personalities.

I did have a pet chicken once when I was a kid. . .She was awesome.
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet story of a woman and her small flock a chickens.
Martha☀
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a light breath of fresh air. It is part graphic novel, part blog, part fiction, part non-fiction but it all works together. Scheuer's writing is heavily interspersed with cartoons and photos of her flock which adds a real connection to the stories. She has lived a parallel life to me in her learning curve about chicken keeping. She seems to be almost as enraptured as I am by the flock's antics. So many of her stories are ones that I have written myself in my own blog.
My only compla
Red Letter
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
A sneak peek of our readers' reviews:

Emry "An accurate portrayal of an increasingly popular hobby, but more than that, it’s a sweet story." Grade: A

Kathy "I loved that it was a mixed book with illustrations and text for brightness and engagement." Grade: B+

Gina aka Slappy "I went from feeling “oh my goodness …. that’s adorable” to “oh my goodness … that’s so sad.” Yes, a book about chickens made me cry." Grade: A

BakingSuit "I especially loved how this was a great balance of nature and feelings w
  • The Bluebird Effect: Uncommon Bonds with Common Birds
  • All My Patients Kick and Bite: More Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • A Chicken in Every Yard: The Urban Farm Store's Guide to Chicken Keeping
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Birdology: Adventures with a Pack of Hens, a Peck of Pigeons, Cantankerous Crows, Fierce Falcons, Hip Hop Parrots, Baby Hummingbirds, and One Murderously Big Living Dinosaur
  • Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds
  • Locally Laid: How We Built a Plucky, Industry-changing Egg Farm - from Scratch
  • Bottled Up: How the Way We Feed Babies Has Come to Define Motherhood, and Why It Shouldn’t
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • Good Birders Don't Wear White: 50 Tips From North America's Top Birders
  • Born to Bark: My Adventures with an Irrepressible and Unforgettable Dog
  • East Wind Melts the Ice: A Memoir through the Seasons
  • Illumination in the Flatwoods: A Season with the Wild Turkey
  • Saving Simon: How a Rescue Donkey Taught Me the Meaning of Compassion
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care / Feeding / Facilities
  • That Quail, Robert
  • My Pet Chicken Handbook: Sensible Advice and Savvy Answers for Raising Backyard Chickens