Start by marking “The Road of Danger” as Want to Read:
The Road of Danger

The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary / RCN #9)

National Best Seller in hardcover.Brilliant and brave starship captain Daniel Leary and ace spy Adele Mundy return to confront a pirate plot and once again save the Republic of Cinnabar.

#9 in the bestselling Republic of Cinnabar Navy space adventure series. Captain Daniel Leary with his friend–and spy–Officer Adele Mundy are sent to a quiet sector to carry out an easy task
Published February 26th 2013 by Baen (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Road of Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road of Danger

John
Apr 29, 2013 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Leary and Adele scotch a nefarious scheme by some disaffected and corrupt Alliance officers to restart the war with a civil conflict in a remote border area. I keep reading this series because of its great characters and high action storylines, but the repetitiveness is really getting to me--not just the way that certain word pairings like "Tovera" and "sociopath" recur, but the way the characters keep falling into ruminations (often in the midst of battles or at other inappropriate times) on th ...more
Rich
Mar 03, 2013 Rich rated it it was ok
I'm probably being hard on the book when I give it two stars, but I've enjoyed the series so much, that I suppose that I just demand more from the books than I might from a different series or stand-alone.

I usually enjoy the characters, and the whole Master/Commander cloning thing doesn't bug me at all. It seems that the character of Mundy is starting to become a caricature of herself, with all her main features being blown out of proportion. And her constant self analysis is starting to wear on
Michael
Jul 01, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
Another great read in the Lt. Leary series. As usual, the adventures of Captain Leary and his friend Adele Mundy continue to captivate. This is a fine example of Space Opera/Military Science Fiction. A must read for fans of David Drake and the Lt. Leary series.
Rob Ballister
Nothing in this review is meant as any sort of attack against the author in particular. I'm a huge fan of David Drake, especially of his "Hammers' Slammers," and Bolo stories, which is why I jumped all over the chance to review this title. Unfortunately, because I had such high expectations, it fell pretty flat.

I think Drake is at his best describing space combat, and there just wasn't a whole lot of that in this book. There's a lot of espionage and political backdooring as the Alliance and Cinn
D.w.
Oct 20, 2014 D.w. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Drake is moving fast and though he has given us the Peace of Amiens, just by that title we know that the battles between Cinnabar and the Alliance will resume momentarily. It is what happens in between that we are now concerned with and with jumps of logic that Conan Doyle would find familiar, we see a glimpse that Drake assures he has gotten from ancient sources as a guideline.

Yet our heroes Mundy and Leary seem to be able to piece together information that we do not even know about. That seems
Jacqueline
I love this series. I'm giving up on this one for now at about a third of the way through. It is very slow going and for some reason difficult to figure out what is going on. Adele seems to be the main character in this one and I like Daniel better. Not only that but the author is hitting us over the head with Adele's oddities and her data gathering thing and I get it already. In fact I got it several books ago. I hope to try again later.
Glen
May 18, 2015 Glen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in hopes that it would be better than the first in the series. Unfortunately it was not. Most of my comments for that book apply here also. One exception was that this one had a decent story arc, the end of which coincided with the end of the book.

On the bad side:

- Unfortunately, although the book has a reasonably interesting plot, I found the narrative style boring. As a result, I was glossing over stuff and getting lost in the complexities of the story, and had to go back a
Stephen W Bennett
Leary, Mundy, and the Sissies are perpetually entertaining. The complexities in the interwoven plot threads are fascinating, and the below the surface tensions, and political and tactical situations are as entertaining as ever. The threats of violence are always hidden beneath the polite, and nearly courteous byplay between the main characters and whichever adversary, allied or enemy, they must deal with in the course of the story.

Drake has done an excellent job here, and the book was longer th
Trunatrschild
I admit, I haven't read any of the previous books in this series, but really, I wouldn't call this a space opera, which is what attracted me to this book. I have a soft spot for the high action, high drama of space operas... this seemed to me to be so slow as to be mostly character development, though there's some space opera-like action at the end.
It's a tale of a naval corvette and her crew as they are sent on a 'hopeless' task. They slowly wend their way through various challenges till finall
Curtis
Apr 21, 2015 Curtis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Winner

This episode in the continuing story of Daniel and Adele is a well-written and focused adventure of action and politics. Once again they're forced to do the impossible beyond the edge of nowhere, and we get to see them do it in detail. There's not much extra drama in here, and perhaps not much character growth, but it is a very good story. The twists and turns taken, as well as the surprises and the battles - and battle surprises - make for hours of enjoyment. Definitely recommende
Andreas
Once again we join Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy with the crew of the Princess Cecile. A Cinnabar national is inciting rebellion on an Alliance world. With the two nations now at peace, the political situations is sticky. If the rebellion succeeds, it could mean resumption of hostilities, and that would be ruinous for both sides.

Another fun adventure with our friends, this time rather interestingly splitting our two protagonists up for a good long section. While I do enjoy the reading, I get the
Charles JunkChuck
Not up to Drake's usual standards--the plot is convoluted, the characters unchanged and defined largely by repetitious "telling" of their generic core characteristics. Again and again Drake reminds us that Tovera is a sociopath who mimics normalcy to pass, that Adele is a damaged soul who is utterly devoted to her heroic friend Daniel. Of course, Drake on an off day is better than a lot of his peers at their best, but for this series to hold my interest I need to see some measure of growth and w ...more
Barb in Maryland
Not the strongest in this series--but hey, still pretty darn good.
Peace has broken out between Cinnabar and the Alliance, so there's officially not a whole lot for Leary, Adele and the rest of the crew of the Princess Cecile (the Sissies)to do. So they are in the back of beyond, delivering messages and being drafted for a 'hopeless' mission. Adele also has her own mission, from her second employer, spy-master Mistress Sand. There are a goodly number of twists and turns as the plot unfolds, of c
Warren
Apr 30, 2015 Warren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Another fine installment in the Lt. Leary series. I find it entertaining to see what predicament Leary, Mundy, and the Sissies get into and out of. Looking forward to the next installment.
Aaron Anderson
I actually read this around when it came out, but forgot to say so on goodreads. I think I liked it enough to be a 4star. :)
Danel
Nov 03, 2014 Danel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More wholesome military scifi fun from David Drake -- I particularly enjoyed the growth of Daniel as a political entity and Adele as a well-rounded spy.
Lucy
Not on a par with the best in the series, but still good, and better than a lot that's out there.
As always there's a lot going on with Adele Mundy being communications officer, spy and Lady Mundy on occasion. And Daniel is ship captain and son of an important politician.
As always Drake uses ancient history for his plot beginning, though I can seldom follow that original since it's pretty obscure.
Best if you've read previous books in the series so you know who's who and who has what roles and wha
Leons1701
Apr 30, 2012 Leons1701 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Perhaps the Leary series is getting a bit long in the tooth. The formula still works, but it's getting a bit old and stale. Also, Drake falls a bit into Turtledove mode in this one, just how may times in one book do we need to hear that Tovera is a paranoid psychopath, or that Mundy considers herself not part of the human race? Those are significant character bits, but repeating them each 10 or more times in a single book, especially one this late in a series where most readers will know all tha ...more
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Daniel Leary and his friend Adele Mundy are the main characters in one of my favorite Science Fiction Series. In their latest adventure they are sent on a fool’s journey but of course it turns out to be anything but. This one is written from both Daniel and Adele’s point of view. For most of the book they are working on the same mission in separate locations. There is a lot of back story dropped into the book. Even so I suggest that you start this series from book one.
Janika Puolitaival
I enjoy the main characters so this was "must" in my reading list - reading this felt like pulling comfortable socks in your feet. Nice but nothing spectacular. Sometimes nice is enough, though
Mark
Mar 21, 2013 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
While not the best of the Leary/Mundy (RCN) series, this is a solid entry, and it's always great to see the pair in action, either together or separately. If it doesn't match the peaks of the series, it's just because those peaks are *really* high. Drake's inspired combination of situations drawn from history and a pretty consistent and original future setting, serves to set off his wonderful main characters. Great space opera, in the best meaning of the term.
Nathan
Aug 16, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed-2012
This installment of the Lt. Leary series is just as entertaining as its predecessors. As always, I enjoy the revisioning of historic events that Drake uses as the core of his plots. The characters remain static in their development, but its a formula that works... With Lt. Leary you know you're going to get action, plot, and more action. The pages keep turning and that's a good thing.
Jeffrey
Apr 10, 2012 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sissie's save the day. Up Cinnebar! The RCN may be corrupt but its all that stands between us and The Alliance. She's a Mundy of Chattsworth, by god!. O'Leary does his wide eyed innocent act and the entire universe is saved except for those who are shot through the eye, twice. Adele's signature double tap.Some able information gathering and the crew is growing in talents.
Rich Van Ollefen
not my favorite series, I enjoy the stories but not the overall "feel" of the universe its set in. Plus Drake spends too much time re-explaining the characters - I know you need a certain amount of this since not everyone has read all the books in the series (I have), but it is not required to do it repeatedly in the same book.
Rachel
Mar 07, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seemed to spend the 1st 50 pages or so saying again & again how Adele / Tovera see the world differently - by this point in the series I have got the point.
After that though the story picked up well.
The events actually follow on fairly closely from the previous book - it would of been better if I'd read that one more recently.
Tom
Apr 24, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another Aubrey/Maturin novel -- I mean, Leary / Mundy. The world has been fully realized for some time now, and Road of Danger doesn't really add much, nor does it really flesh out the characters (who are quite familiar by now). Still, it's well written and if it's more of the same, that same is good!
Ron
Sep 11, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The latest Leary and Mundy tale. A whirlwind tale of intrigue and adventure which stretches and enhances the relationship between Daniel Leary and Adele Mundy, placing both in unfamiliar roles. A quick read filled with the expected dangers and fights.
David Marshall
This is a very good story delivered in execrable prose. This is a tragedy. If only Drake had got one of his co-writers to deal with this plot it would have been excellent.

U.r. Liars
Mar 14, 2012 U.r. Liars rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think that your site is full of bulls*&! as this book has not been released yet. And currently has a release date in April of this year. I guess the quoted price is so high to cover the cost of the time travel equipment used to retrieve the book.
Jeff
Sep 01, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mundy of Chatsworth to save the day! Up Cinnabar! Lost way to much sleep with this one. Excellent addition with buckles swashing aplenty, handily sailing the stars while solving the curly problems of keeping the peace twist star-nations.
  • The Heretic (The General, #9)
  • Darkship Renegades (Darkship, #2)
  • Storm from the Shadows (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #2)
  • Kris Longknife's Bloodhound (Kris Longknife, #10.5)
  • Trial by Fire (Tales of the Terran Republic, #2)
  • The Valhalla Call (Hayden War Cycle, #4)
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • Prisoner's Hope (Seafort Saga, #3)
  • Victory or Death (Battlecruiser Alamo, #3)
19472
David Drake is an American author of science fiction and fantasy literature. A Vietnam War veteran who has worked as a lawyer, he is now one of the major authors of the military science fiction genre.
More about David Drake...

Lt. Leary / RCN (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • The Far Side of the Stars (Lt. Leary, #3)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
  • When the Tide Rises (Lt. Leary, #6)
  • In the Stormy Red Sky (Lt. Leary, #7)
  • What Distant Deeps (Lt. Leary, #8)
  • The Sea Without a Shore (Lt. Leary, #10)
  • Death's Bright Day (Lt. Leary, #11)

“Daniel wasn’t above shading the truth—or even of throwing a heavy drape over the truth and beating it with a stick, if the girl was pretty enough. He” 0 likes
“I suppose I would be wiser to adjust my attitude rather than to expect the universe to change reality.” 0 likes