Start by marking “Shadow of Freedom (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of Freedom (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #3)

Shadow of Freedom

(Honorverse: Saganami Island #3)

New York Times, USA Today, Wall Street Journal and international bestselling phenomenon David Weber delivers book #18 in the multiple New York Times best-selling Honor Harrington series. Honor Harrington’s Royal Manticoran Navy fights space battles alongside planetary rebels as its old rival, the corrupt Solarian League, begins to crumble.

#18 in the multiply-bestselling Ho
Published March 5th 2013 by Baen (first published February 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of Freedom

Aaron Brown
This is far and away my least favorite book in the Honorverse thus far. Mr. Weber: please, please, please STOP copying and pasting entire chapters word-for-word between your books. This book, by my count, has at least three chapters that have appeared verbatim in another book. It has one that has now appeared in three books. Come on. If you're going to rehash the same scene, at least make the effort to write it from another character's point of view.

To make matters worse, one of the chapters whi
Betsy
[11/17/2012]
Another Goodreads member said it was like "a good steak dinner without the steak and potatoes." That is an excellent metaphor. It is well written, as usual with Weber, but contains much repetition from previous installments. But it is so obviously an installment that doesn't really come to any final resolution. This is the second installment like this. It's not that nothing happens. Quite a bit happens, but it's all "secondary" to the real trajectory of the series. It's rather frustr
Aildiin
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, novels
First this is not a Harrington novel per say but more a Talbot Quadrant novel ( in the line of The Shadow of Saganami and its sequels).
It fits within the current Harrington arc and we are retold events we have already been told 3 times in other books but this seems to be the current Weber paradigm( this is what happens when you have 3 ongoing series all taking places at the same time ).
The overall story arc doesn't advance much either but that wasn't a surprise as I believe it is the job of the
Elyse
Jul 29, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a huge fan of the Honor series, but after Mission of Honor and this book I'm hanging it up.

There is about 100 pages of stuff actually happening in a 439 page novel. The rest of it is endless discussion, dissection and contemplation of the stuff that happened. I just read what happened--I experienced it with the characters--I don't need two more scenes where it's all rehashed over coffee.

Also entire segments of this book were lifted whole cloth from Mission of Honor. I'm pretty sure a
Liviu
read it in a go and need a reread at leisure but a few points:

- length, yes very short; I discount DW's books to about 2/3 size due to repetitions and the info dumps (here there is a Detweiler chapter and other stuff that I think is just c/p from earlier work), so the book at about 420 pages felt like an under 300 page one, but those ~300 pages were really, really good, better than 4-500 pages from almost anyone else

- lots of new beginnings and new characters which I actually like; gives one the
Christopher
Shadow of Freedom was not bad, but it should not be referred to as "Honor Harrington #14," since Honor Harrington was only mentioned a handful of times in the entire book and never made an appearance. Instead, it should be called "Michelle Henke #2, or #3," depending on how you count previous books where she had a major part. Or possibly, Honorverse spin-off #4, or some such.

In any case, at least the Mesan Alignment is finally starting to be revealed a bit, and Manticore is finally starting to m
Mike
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like at this point my relationship with the Honor Harrington books is beginning to resemble my late 90s relationship with The Wheel of Time. I feel like I both dread and anticipate each new release. While the series never meanders in quite the way the middle books of Robert Jordan’s series do I still find a certain lack of satisfaction in each of Weber’s newer Honorverse novels. Over the course of each novel that sense of excitement and satisfaction waxes and wanes but the long(ish) gaps ...more
***Dave Hill
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
SEP 2013 REVIEW

Oh, look -- another Honor Harrington novel (says so, right on the cover, though properly speaking it's a Saganami Island / Talbott Quadrant novel) where the only presence of the series heroine is as someone that other people quote.

Look, stupid and/or venal Solarian autocrats and security thugs and Frontier Navy officers who act like idiots and get their asses handed to them.

Look, lots of people spending lots of time talking about lots of stuff that has happened, is happening, an
Roberta
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction
Weber is getting too caught up in his metaplot to really develop time to a book plot, characterization, and solid elements of telling a story. There are so many characters that it is hard to keep track of all of them, and every scene has a different point of view. I wish he would pick three or four POV characters and stick to them.

One good thing he continues to do is get into the minds of his villains. He doesn't create cookie cutter anything. He has true to life characters but do we really need
Kathy Davie
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
First read April 6, 2013.

Fourteenth in the Honor Harrington David Weber considers Shadow of Freedom to be the fifth story in the Honorverse military science fiction series, which is an offshoot from the main Honor Harrington series.

Although, I do have to question why it's considered an Honor Harrington. It seems to fit better within the Talbott Honorverse instead.

My Take
Yup, it's a short one, LOL. This is a combination bridge and tidy-up as Weber provides us with a ton of worries, state-sanction
Ben
May 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, pulp
This is not the 14th volume in the Honor Harrington series. Honor does not appear in it all, even as a cameo role. The cover art does not accurately reflect the characters present in the story.

This IS the 3rd installment in the Saganami sub-series which began with The Shadow of Saganami and details the Manticoran involvement with the Talbot Cluster and activities of Admiral Gold Peak on that front. Chronologically it runs from February 1922 PD (Post Diaspora) to August 1922 PD and follows on fro
Launian
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could, I'd give this book a 3.7 rating, but since that's not possible (yet)... Just a warning, thos: this is going to contain spoilers, so if you haven't read the book yet, please close the window.

Yes, it's a great continuation from A Rising Thunder (although, if you ask me, it's better suited as the 3rd book on the Saganami Series), with a lot of sweet twists and a lot of my favorite characters (Dicey rocks, btw, and even if Scotty's missing), but there're some things that are simply bad a
Gallandro_83
Jan 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, space-opera
OK so I feel the need to justify my rating.

I think overall I would rate the book at about 2 to 2.5 if it was on its own but since the novel is supposed to be part of the main series I have to rate it lower.

Like other reviewers have stated the book has about 20% that is recap or cut from previous novels and does nothing to move the story along that right there is a warning sign for me. Also this book just like the previous two starts off at about the same time . I'm don't mind when an author show
Matt
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Problems:
1. Honor Harrington (the main character of the series) is only mentioned in this book, never was she a player, or even indirectly involved.
2. ALL of the action scenes where skipped! Each time the story would lead up to a battle then jump to the aftermath - mostly the politics of the story.

I did not get this book to read the a story of space drama politics. David Weber, the author, seems to be making the same mistake the Robert Jordan made with the Wheel of Time. The story is branching
Camilo Emiliano  Rosas Echeverria
The book as more or less the same pace of A Rising Thunder, which means that it follows numerous storylines which don't really matter, present at least two bold and condemned Resistance movements, a phalanx of brave and bold Manticoran officers, and corrupt and sneaky Solarian ones. Manticorans always win, Sollies always lose, sometimes fighting, sometimes not. Nothing else happens. Seriously: you can read A Rising Thunder, just assume "and things go on like this" and simply skip this book. Mesa ...more
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
It's from the Honorverse, if you are reading it, then it is likely you know what your should expect. It has the same senes of humor and vague and convoluted historical references. It has the same war ships and intergalacted players. New characters that are not "fleshed out" as well as the old ones but, they grow on you... in a good way.

If you haven't read any of Weber's Honor-verse books, don't start wit this one. (They all start with Honor Harington). The short stories in the "Worlds of Honor"
Lenora
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Honor Harrington series keeps getting better and better. As always, David Weber managed to keep me on the edge of my seat at the end of the book. I know a new Worlds of Honor anthology is going to be published in July. Who knows when the next book will be released? Anticipation...
Matthew
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
*shakes fist at sky in protest against the cruel world* Damn you, David Weber! Every time you release a new book, I tear right through it and have to wait for the next one!
Dan
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
2018 re-read. Many intriguing plots!
Scott Holstad
In a word: disappointing. In another word: lame. Frankly, this book sucked. I have given every Honor Harrington book except one five stars, but this barely deserves two. And I feel betrayed. First of all, as I was finishing Honor #13 not too long ago, I was reading reviews of it and a number of them mentioned Shadow of Freedom as being Honor #14, so I immediately ordered it. Lots of people referred to it as Honor #14. People reviewing THIS book -- Shadow of Freedom -- even refer to it as Honor # ...more
Kathy Martin
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This eighteenth book in the Honor Harrington series stars Michelle Henke, cousin of the Empress of the Manticoran Empire and fourth in line for the throne. Mike has forged a career in the Manticoran Navy and is currently Admiral in command of the 10th Fleet. Mike is out on the sharp point of the spear.

The time period of this book seems to be concurrent with A RISING THUNDER which actually stars Honor Harrington. Communication is fast in this vast interstellar world but that still means that the
Per Gunnar
The book in itself is not a bad book but then David Weber generally does not write really “bad” books. At least I cannot remember having read one. However, I quite frankly feel cheated by this book. I have waited eagerly for quite a while to get my hands on a new Honor Harrington book and when I finally do…there is no Honor Harrington in it!!!

Yes the story takes place within the main story arc of the Honor Harrington novels but it does not really advance the story in any major way. A good chunk
Sable
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This novel has received a lot of mixed reviews. But I personally really enjoyed it!

Okay, here's the thing: if you came here looking for Honor Harrington, you've come barking up the wrong tree. She's not here, man. People quote her from time to time and refer to the things she's done and has been doing.

On the other hand, if you're looking for space opera... man oh man, you are not going to be disappointed!

Michelle Henke, who just handed the Solarian League the most humiliating defeat in their his
Kat
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
100 pages in. Lots of talking, almost nothing happening, and no sign of any treecats. Flipping through the next hundred pages, still no sign of treecats, even though the last book insinuated that they're becoming very... involved... now. The cover matches that expectation.

But generally, things that have happened in previous book(s) have not yet happened in this book. Is this like the Wheel of Time book in which very little happened other than shifts from perspective to perspective to see how al
Ted
Jul 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
I said I would not be buying any more DW books, and I haven't. This one was sitting in the bookstore and finished it there . . . surprisingly quickly. Most of the pages did little to move the story along and a quick skim was all you needed. I did buy two other books partly becauise I felt guilty reading one there in the store, but after gliding though this one so easily, I couldn't see paying for it.

The issue seems to be that DW can't seem to get things moving again. While I love the Honorverse
Kyle
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. Is this the 14th book in the Honor Harrington series or the 3rd book in the Saganami Island series? Audible and wikipedia both list it as being both. Honor's not in it and all it really does is shuffle through what was going on in the background of the 12th book of the Honor Harrington series. I've got to say, I'm getting a bit sick of retreading this same ground, since book 13 already wound the clock back to fill in details. Book 13 and Shadow of Freedom lift whole conversations ...more
Kurt
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Numerous portions of the book are copied word-for-word from previous novels in the series, with at most a page added to the previous section to form a chapter. It seems almost as if David Weber took sections of his previous books merely to pad out the book and make it seem to be a long work. There is inconsistent timing in the sections, with sections containing events months, or even years prior to the events in the immediately preceding section. That would work if the sections were following on ...more
Anthony Patten
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I put this book down, which is a rare event. No matter how bad it gets, I don't just stop. I slog through, sometimes reading the most mindless drivel. But this book infuriated me.

This is NOT a spoiler: David Weber actually includes parts of previous books in this one. There is no warning, and no justification. I was furious.

There were other, lesser problems, but none so grand as this one. If you're going to start a new plot arc, start one. Never copy/paste. I expect this garbage from televisio
Rich Van Ollefen
I was pretty disappointed in this book. I expected more of Honor herself, as opposed to NONE, and given that the last book didn't do much to advance the storyline, I expected more from this one. Which I didn't get. It was, for all intents and purposes, a chapter in the overall story. The overall pacing of the the books is getting slower and slower.

I don't really look forward to the next book.
Bill
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Michelle Henke tangles with the Solarian League in the Talbot Quadrant. Weber could/should have combined Shadow and A Rising Thunder in one book. I really needed a bigger Honorverse 'fix'.

• Eye of the Storm (Hedren War, #1)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Straits of Hell (Destroyermen, #10)
  • The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)
  • Pointblank (Starfist: Force Recon, #2)
  • The Way to Glory (Lt. Leary, #4)
  • Rogue
  • Fortune's Stroke (Belisarius, #4)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Honorverse: Saganami Island (4 books)
  • The Shadow of Saganami (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #1)
  • Storm from the Shadows (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #2)
  • Shadow of Victory (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #4)