Start by marking “Carrie and Me: A Mother-Daughter Love Story” as Want to Read:
Carrie and Me: A Mother-Daughter Love Story

Carrie and Me: A Mother-Daughter Love Story

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  1,126 Ratings  ·  210 Reviews
In this beautiful and poignant tribute to her late daughter, award-winning actress and New York Times bestselling author Carol Burnett presents a funny and moving memoir about mothering an extraordinary young woman through the struggles and triumphs of her life.

Despite her busy schedule, Carol Burnett always made time for her three young children. But her oldest daughter,
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published April 9th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Audio

To ask other readers questions about Carrie and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carrie and Me

TL
Jan 22, 2017 TL marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Loving this but I have to put it aside and buy the audiobook on payday though.. the print in this book is messing with my eyes and making my head hurt (tried taking a break and coming back to it and same result)... least payday is only a few days away.
Margaret
Jun 07, 2013 Margaret rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This must have been a very difficult book to write, but it is a beautiful tribute to Ms. Burnett's oldest daughter who battled addiction and then cancer and yet accomplished so many things that most people only dream of. And yet...I can only say that this was an ok read for me. I don't know what I was expecting, but I just didn't get a sense of the entire relationship between Burnett and Carrie. The emails between mother and daughter weren't enough for me to get a sense of their true relationshi ...more
Carrie
Apr 13, 2013 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are expecting Carol Burnett's slapstick humor you won't find it here. What you will find is a wonderful story of a mothers love for her daughter and the story of a vivacious, fun loving, insightful young lady that dies way too early. It is the rare book that makes you feel like you are a better person when you finish than when you started.
Felicia
This book is a tribute to Carole Burnett's daughter Carrie. A lot of reviewers focus on her early drug addiction, but that was only a small part of the story. The talent and overall personality of this young woman came through in the shared emails between mother and daughter. It was a good read, not great but also gave the reader a lot to ponder.....
Michelle
May 09, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this one and it is read by Carol Burnett in all her cracked voice glory. Sweet, sad and wonderful, her love for her daughter and her daughter's love for her really shines through. Highly Recommended.
Mom
Jan 02, 2014 Mom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very quick read. Be prepared though and have a box of kleenex handy, it is very sad. There is no way to prepare yourself to read about the loss of a child.
Judy
Carol Burnette pays tribute to her deceased daughter, Carrie, in this memoir. She relates the story of the difficult teen years up through her daughter's death from lung cancer. The book concludes with an unpublished manuscript of a cowboy romance that Carrie was working on at the time of her death.
Lori
Mar 29, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I have always been a fan of Carol Burnett. so far i have read all her books. this one is a "love story" to her daughter Carrie Hamilton. Carrie died from lung cancer at only 38 years old. in 2002. this book is divided in two parts the first which takes about 75 percent of the book.is from Carol sharing emails between her and Carrie. and snippets from Carrie's life. part of this includes the few years during Carrie's teens when she was on drugs and trips to drug rehab. I was impressed by Carrie s ...more
Jackie Lane
May 12, 2013 Jackie Lane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new-authors
What a wonderful testament to both Carol & Carrie Burnett. The beautiful way in which Carol Burnett writes about her daughter and her daughter's problems with addiction.

At such an early age Carrie began to rebel and took it a step further and turned to drugs to help her ease herself into life. As we see a more solid Carrie later in the book, I can't help but wonder why she was not a stronger person when she was younger.

It seems as if Carrie left an impression on those she met with her smile
Keith Cornell
May 20, 2013 Keith Cornell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol Burnett seems to be part of the fabric of my life. I have enjoyed her since I was a young boy. She has touched so many people in so many ways. I have read all of her books. This one is a loving tribute to her daughter Carrie who was taken too young. Carol lovingly exposes her story of Carrie's troubles with drugs at an early age again but with a new chapters. We get to read about Carrie's career after her drug recovery and how she and Carol worked together on stage and TV. Carol then share ...more
Doreen
Apr 07, 2013 Doreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All mothers, all daughters, fans who grew up watching and loving Carol Burnett
Recommended to Doreen by: Book Page, maybe?
Carol Burnett writes a loving, tender memoir of her beautiful daughter, Carrie Hamilton, who died at the age of thirty-eight. Reading from a mother's perspective, I cried. Reading from a daughter's perspective, I cried. Somehow, through memories and email correspondence, Carol pieces together her daughter's time on Earth, willing Carrie back to life on every page.

From Carol's pregnancy with Carrie, through to the dispensing of Carrie's ashes, Carol Burnett lays bare the special relationship be
Celticoracle
I really liked the first part of the book, which was the story of Carrie Hamilton, but I was much less impressed with the second part, which was a story Carrie was working on before she died. Carol Burnett published the work to honour her daughter, but unfortunately, it reads like the early draft it was. It's clear that most of Carrie Hamilton's experience was on the screen, because in several places, particularly the end, the story read more like a screenplay than a novel, which made the flow o ...more
Karen
Feb 19, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I knew that Carol Burnett's daughter Carrie had had addiction issues, but I did not realize that she had overcome them--only to face a fight for her life with cancer. This poignant account of mother and daughter relations through both of these struggles was very hard to read at times--one cannot help but to be emotionally drawn into it. Carrie was multi=talented and the book gives several example of her artistic versatility, including the last story she working on and which she sent drafts of to ...more
Elizabeth
I enjoyed learning about Carol Burnett and I enjoyed learning about her oldest daughter Carrie. They had such a supportive and easy relationship in Carrie's adult years. It was a pleasure to listen to their interactions. Carol kept a promise to Carrie by reading aloud a manuscript she was writing about a trip to Graceland by a man and a woman. Frankly, I could not make heads or tails out of this. However, I do want to seek out some of Carrie's other works after having read this book.
Cheri
Aug 18, 2014 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book. It is indeed a mother-daughter love story. Written by Carol Burnett, of course there are lots of laughs. And as it was written for her daughter Carrie who died at age 38 of cancer, there are tears also. Beautiful story!
Brian Kovesci
Jun 30, 2016 Brian Kovesci rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Carrie and Me is a love letter between Carol Burnett and her daughter, Carrie Hamilton, who died before she got to live all of her life. The speed with which cancer took her must have been truly devastating, I can't imagine such an incredible woman being taken away so swiftly.
Kaethe
Sep 18, 2016 Kaethe marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I'll ever be able to read this, but if I am, it's not going to be until the daughters are all grown up.

Library copy
Mary
Mar 19, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a wonderful love story between a mother and daughter. I loved the emails back and forth between the two. They were definitely cut from the same cloth. Very emotional story.
Frederieke Bernink
Beautiful but heartbreaking story about the love and pain of a mother who loses her daughter.
Read the full spoiler-free review on my blog.

Love,

F.
Kitty Merk
Jan 23, 2017 Kitty Merk rated it it was amazing
Get the audio version.
Angela
Oct 26, 2016 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loving story of her relationship wi
Tiffany Artiaga
Jan 14, 2017 Tiffany Artiaga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I loved how the story showed the love between Ms. Burnett and her daughter. I loved how near the end of the first part she had wanted signs from her daughter and she mentioned every one she had gotten. I love that Ms. Burnett was willing to share even the most personal of details with the readers.
Diane
Apr 22, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol Burnett's last book, This Time Together, shared anecdotes about her successful TV and stage career. I was thrilled to meet this amazing entertainer at a book signing, and she was just as kind and friendly as she appears on TV.

Ms. Burnett's latest book, Carrie and Me- A Mother Daughter Love Story is a much more personal book about her daughter Carrie, who first battled drug addiction and later cancer, which killed her at the age of thirty-eight.

Carrie's bright personality shines though in t
Dec 19, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Touching. The story of a mother's love throughout her daughter's addiction and her grief as the daughter, years later, loses her battle with cancer. Carrie Hamilton was a beautiful woman full of life and love, and Carol Burnett's tribute to her is certainly fitting.
The last 1/4 of the book is a story written by Hamilton. She didn't have the chance to polish it - and it shows - but it provides another glimpse into the talent and heart of this young woman.
Colleen
Right up front, I'll admit I did not finish this book. However, that's not because it was bad. I just didn't have an interest in second half, which consists of an unfinished story written by Carol Burnett's daughter, Carrie Hamilton.

I chose this book because of what was in the first half, which was the story of Burnett's relationship with her now-deceased daughter. Carol starts right at the beginning, when Carrie was born, and continues on to describe the battles the family faced when Carrie bec
Nada
Apr 07, 2013 Nada rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read-books
Review first posted on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com...

Some disclaimers before I start my review ... First, I grew up watching Carol Burnett and have always loved her work. So, I suppose I am predisposed to liking her work. Second, before reading this book, I was not familiar with Carrie Hamilton's story or her struggles. As such, I had no pre-conception of what this story would bring. Third, this book is really two books - one the memoir written by Carol Burnett, and second, th
Natalie
I liked the book, but wished Carol would have given us more of her and Carrie's relationship. I feel there was so much more that could have been shared about the dynamics of their mother/daughter bond, stories about the times they worked together. I skimmed Part II, it didn't interest me at all.
Neil Mudde
I have always adored, and have great respect for Carol Burnett, she has given me many hours of laughs, who can forget the curtains worn as dress in one of her gone with the wind scenes, and there are so many others
A few weeks ago I watched "the view" which had Carol as a guest, and discovered she had written this book, knew very little about her personal life, so thought it would be interesting to read this book.
Being a super entertainer does not an author make, it is one of those situations wer
Judah
May 28, 2014 Judah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I listened to the audiobook version of this book, and highly recommend those who wish to read it do the same. Carol Burnett reads it herself, giving an extra level of intimacy to an already very personal book. Also the audio book included a song recorded by Carrie which I doubt was included in the book version.

Those who come to this book expecting the light hearted "Carol Burnett Show" style humor, will be disappointed because this book is as exactly as it says : a mother and daughter story.

Touc
Rachel Jaffe
Jan 17, 2015 Rachel Jaffe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, biography
I have to admit, the TV show Fame was one of my guilty pleasures, and as the years went on, the pleasure became more and more guilty. Most of the performers on the show were ... fine. Perfectly competent, but nothing special. Except Carrie Hamilton, who just had that indefinable "wow" factor of charisma. I was very keen to read this book about her.

It was a lovely read. Carol Burnett writes in a direct, heart-felt manner. It was like sitting down for a night of wine, laughter and tears with a goo
  • Frog, Where Are You?
  • Trouble at the Treasury (Capital Mysteries #7)
  • I, Rhoda
  • Dinner at Mr. Jefferson's: Three Men, Five Great Wines, and the Evening that Changed America
  • Dear Laura: Letters from Children to Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • A Picture Book of Abraham Lincoln
  • If It's Not One Thing, It's Your Mother
  • Moron to Moron: Two Men, Two Bikes, One Mongolian Misadventure
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
  • Framing Innocence: A Mother's Photographs, a Prosecutor's Zeal, and a Small Town's Response
  • Untied: A Memoir of Family, Fame, and Floundering
CAROL BURNETT has been an actor on Broadway, on television, and in the movies. She has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, The Mark Twain Prize for Humor and the Kennedy Center Honors, among other singular achievements of a woman comedian who was nothing less than a pioneer and a role model for stars like Tina Fey, Amy Pohler and Amy Schumer.
More about Carol Burnett...