Start by marking “The Weight of Worlds” as Want to Read:
The Weight of Worlds

The Weight of Worlds

(Star Trek: The Original Series)

The Ephrata Institute is an intellectual think tank at the outer fringes of the final frontier. Dedicated to the arts and sciences, the Institute seems an unlikely target for an invasion, but it proves easy pickings when the Crusade comes from beyond, determined to impose its harsh, unbending Truth on all the worlds of the Federation. Armed with weaponized gravity, the ali ...more
Published March 26th 2013 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about The Weight of Worlds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weight of Worlds

Brett Thomasson
One of the charms of the often clumsy morality plays of the old Star Trek series was how they could often be pulled off with quite a bit of style when the episode was well-written. The leads of the series -- William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy and DeForrest Kelley -- were competent professional actors with a lot of combined experience in television and when given some top-level TV material could make top-level genre entertainment surrounding the Moral of the Story.

In 2014's The Weight of Worlds, mult
Robert Greenberger
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
A serious issue in TOS style, handled with a light touch by Greg, who is no slouch when it comes to handling the characters. He gives most everyone something to do including challenging the regulars with unusual roles. A pleasant read although this is the second recent TOS to hinge on Spock's mindmeld techniques. He also demonstrated using the nerve pinch on various aliens without first knowing how their physiology works -- you have to watch those shortcuts.
Terje Fokstuen
The enterprise receives a distress call from the Enphrata institute, located on a planet on the edge of known space. When Captain Kirk and the crew arrive at the institute they find that it has been taken over by Crusaders from an alternative universe that have come to "bring the truth" to the Federation. The Crusaders have discovered a way to weaponize gravity, and use it to hold the Enterprise captive, while Kirk and the away team battle the Crusaders on site.

This is good fun. If you love the
Lily
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Greg Cox is one of my favorite authors, I thought this book was good. The planet Ephrata is attacked by aliens from another dimension. The Ialati think that anything that is different from them is a threat to what they call "The Truth" They use gravity as a weapon and cause havoc to the Enterprise and all aboard her.

I don't think this story was as good as "Rings of Time," but I do think it's a good read. I am looking forward to reading his "Assignment Eternity." Which I ordered and am waiting f
Kristina Brown
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
A clever idea that works well, utilising gravity as a weapon. The plot overall is broadly similar to the 50th Anniversary Legacies trilogy but obviously less expansive. I thought the banter was played for laughs a little too much, with specific references to the 'banter' highlighting it, but generally it had the feel of a good episode. This book gives Sulu and Uhura a chance to stretch themselves.
Gabriel Mero
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first foray into Star Trek literature (outside of the movie novelizations) and was surprisingly interested. I had out off reading this book for so long because I'd feared that it wouldn't hold my interest and then would join my list of books that I couldn't finish. I loved that Uhura and Sulu got to share the spotlight in this story, especially Uhura.
Dennis Hill
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, fast pace book. Enjoyed seeing someone else in command of the Enterprise!
Russell Miller
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Starts a little slow at the beginning, yet builds to crescendo at the end. A good read. Fans of the original series should enjoy thus book.
Paul Lunger
It's rare that Greg Cox misses with a story, but in the case of the "The Weight of Worlds" he does miss with a story that's got problems primarily at the end. The Enterprise is called to the Ephrata Institute on Ephrata IV which sends out a distress call after being attacked by a group of aliens who come through a trans-dimensional rift & claim to pronounce "The Truth" to the people on the other side. They are in fact a group of people called The Crusade who attempt to brainwash people throu ...more
Nicholas Miller
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
It’s been awhile since I’ve read an original series (Star Trek) book. But I found that “The Weight of Worlds” had good reviews, so I decided to give it a ride. Was it worth it? You’ll see.

On the fringes of Federation space, there lies the Ephrata Institute. It’s a think tank with a ton of researchers doing their researcher stuff. One day, it becomes under attack when a ‘rift’ opens up. A group calling themselves the Crusaders, come through the hole (which is a rip between two universes) and star
David Palazzolo
Not as good as Assignment: Eternity but I liked it well enough. While Greg Cox caught much of the flavor of an Original Series episode, I thought our "alien of the week" would have been more comfortable in a Doctor Who arc circa Tom Baker to Colin Baker's run. The aliens are called Ialatl and are very strongly drawn from ancient Mesoamerican cultures, yet have a distinctly modern Western culture obsession with Doomsday/End of all Creation. I suspect that all the recent 2012 hoopla also had an in ...more
Holly
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know, I was only going to give this 3 stars, 3.5 at most, but really I just enjoyed it so much that I couldn't not give it 4. The ridiculous banter between the crew was completely spot on, the whole situation and plot entirely believable of an episode of TOS Star Trek.
I'm also EXTREMELY happy about the fact that not only (view spoiler)
Randy
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like all good Trek stories, THE WEIGHT OF WORLDS reveals something about our own society.

The Ilatl open a dimensional rift and invade the Federation. They come through at The Ephrata Institute, a think tank on a remote planet, with their Crusade to bring their Truth before it's to late. Whether we want it or not, their religious fervor demands they convert us by whatever means necessary.

When the Enterprise responds to an emergency SOS, Kirk and Spock find the inhabitants in the midst of a new fe
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good entry to the Original Series that capture the spirit of an expanded episode. The Enterprise receives a distress call, and it's up to Kirk and the valiant crew to save the day. I love these novels because they are not constrained by a special effects or make-up budget, so the author is free to let his imagination soar. Greg Cox was successful in creating a new world with a new species, but making it satisfying to the long-term fan by referencing earlier events witnessed on television. The ...more
Jimyanni
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Far from Greg Cox's best work, this was a tolerably amusing read but nothing more than that. It seemed to me that Kirk and Spock were far too cavalier about interfering with the culture of another society, taking sides with dissidents over the authorities. Granted, it was to their benefit to do so, and could have resulted in a Federation-wide disaster had they not, but even given that, they seemed all too quick to ignore the neutrality Federation law would have required of them. Not that they've ...more
Kate
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So let's start with what I did like. I liked Uhura in command of the Enterprise and I liked it a lot. Sure she was nervous but damn she did her job just as well as Kirk could have done. I also enjoyed Sulu and Yassen's work on the planet while behind enemy lines. The Kirk and Spock storyline was an amusing enough read while I was reading it but it just seemed haphazard and all over the place Prime Directive wise - and yes there's a bit of an explanation (two if I recall) given but it's just a bi ...more
Andrew Beet
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
another great book from Greg Cox i like the idea of the crusade being this almighty empire that wants to impose their truth (ie point of view) to the whole universe. i also liked the scene where Sokis declares to Kirk that the crusade will impose the truth onto the federation and Kirk says no way Starfleet won't stand for that at all. and i liked that the crusade want to use starships to impose their truth and you just know that isn't going to happen
Greg M. Johnson
A sad message of intolerance.

Given recent events on the world's stage, the message of intolerance that the author advocates here is a bit shocking. It frequently hits us over the head with idea that literal belief --
"Absolutist interpretation of the ancient texts"-- in a religion leads to violence and subjugation of others. When you meet that devout person, the only path to peace is to slay their God.
Chantel
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book! It was just right. I loved how the author kept with the characters personality. I love that Sulu and especially Uhura get their own little spotlight in this one. Don't get to see them do much. I loved the plot, the aliens....everything about it was good Star Trek storytelling. :) I didn't want it to end. I want to read it again. :)
Dave
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another GOOD Star Trek novel! (The Original Series)
This one is set during their "5 year Mission". No sopilers here. But it 'feels' right. Cox has written a good Star Trek novel. Besides Kirk and Spock, Sulu and Uhura get in on the story as well.(McCoy is around, but not a big part of this one)
If you're a fan of the 1st TV show, then you should enjoy this book.
William
Mar 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this adventure. I was surprised how little McCoy and Scotty were involved but I am not complaining because it was nice to see Uhura front and center for once and Sulu got into the action as well. The new aliens, invaders from another universe was also a treat. It looks like 2012 is going to be great a great year for new Star Trek novels.
Dan
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, star-trek, tos
The Weight of Worlds is a fun, exciting adventure with plenty to do for each of the cast members of TOS. A threat to the galaxy to overcome, some great observations on logic and rational thought by everyone's favourite Vulcan, and last-minute rescues and solutions. What else could anyone want from a Star Trek novel?

Full review: http://treklit.blogspot.com/2013/04/t...
David
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
A fun little book, though it drags in the middle a bit. Cox knows the original series crew well, though, so the characters are definitely right. And after the last TOS book played with cliches and bad characters, this was a breath of fresh air.
Jason Cross
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Now this was an awesome Star Trek book. I guess I am getting my Trek on, getting ready for the new Trek movie. I loved how it referenced previous Star Trek episodes. A great story and a must read for Star Trek Fans.
Greg Lindsay
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the better Greg Cox ST books and makes up for Rings of Time. The characters are great and the story pace moves along pretty quickly. Its action packed and kept my interest through out.
Samantha
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A nice read. I could easily imagine it as a quite satisfactory TV episode of the series.
Elizabeth Clark
Interesting use of gravity by aliens, a lot of stiff, overly formal dialogue.
Sean Whelan
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not bad but I got distracted during the middle. My own fault so I shall give it another go down the road.
Laurie Kazmierczak
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the adventure....Loved how Uhura was presented as well as other secondary characters. A fine addition to the sagas...
Charles Miller
Enjoyable book.
  • Allegiance in Exile
  • From History's Shadow
  • Crisis of Consciousness
  • The Shocks of Adversity
  • Devil's Bargain
  • Long Shot (Star Trek: Seekers, #3)
  • Ex Machina (Star Trek)
  • A Choice of Catastrophes
  • The Empty Chair (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #5)
  • Burning Dreams
  • The Latter Fire
  • The Folded World
  • Seeds of Rage (Star Trek: Errand of Fury #1)
  • Mudd in Your Eye
  • Mind Meld

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek: The Original Series #1; Movie Novelization #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit (Star Trek: The Original Series #3)
  • The Covenant of the Crown (Star Trek: The Original Series #4)
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle (Star Trek: The Original Series #9)
  • Web of the Romulans (Star Trek: The Original Series #10)