Start by marking “Golden” as Want to Read:
Golden

Golden

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  9,513 ratings  ·  1,114 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Parker Frost has never taken the road less traveled. Valedictorian and quintessential good girl, she’s about to graduate high school without ever having kissed her crush or broken the rules. So when fate drops a clue in her lap—one that might be the key to unraveling a town mystery—she decides to take a chance.

Julianna Farnetti and Shane Cruz are remembe
Published May 14th 2013 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published May 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Golden, please sign up.
Lily Evans Well, I'd say it depends from Person to person, so maybe 12 or 13?

·  9,513 ratings  ·  1,114 reviews

Wendy Darling
Coming of age stories are so hard to get right, particularly in realistic fiction. I have no idea what it's like to develop supernatural vampire powers (darn it!), but I do know what it's like to navigate the tricky road to adulthood. So while I generally read more paranormal fiction or sci fi, it's always a pleasure to come across a contemporary YA book that I really connect with.

This was my first book by Jessi Kirby, but I'm now very eager to read Moonglass, and anything else she comes up with
Emily May
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

“But as much as we wish it were different, the truth is, our worlds are sometimes balanced on choices we make and secrets we keep.”

Four and a half stars. Because, really, I think this is a four-star read but there are five-star tears running down my face even now, almost a full day after I finished reading the final page. This book is categorised as young adult but, oddly, I think Golden is everything I used to expect from the new adult genre before I knew better. I think it is a beautiful, poi
Aj the Ravenous Reader

“It’s not actually making the choice that takes courage. It’s facing it afterward. Owning up to it whether it’s good or bad.”

If I relied solely on the introductory chapters of the novel, I wouldn’t think this book was going to be something special. Sure, I saw glowing five star reviews but at some point during the start I felt like I would end up suffering from “it’s not the book, it’s me case” syndrome. That is not the case.

This is an inspirational story about friendship, taking chances an
Natalie Monroe

Welcome to the very first episode of I Don't Give A Fuck!

In this premier, our fabulous host Natalie Monroe will be interviewing a bunch of white, middle-class teenagers, all more selfish than the last. Believe me, folks, you would not want to give birth to these bastards kids. Give it up for the main cast of Golden!

*Parker, Kat, Trevor, Julianna, and Orion walk on the stage*

Natalie: Take a seat, kids. Orion, Julianna, please stop making goo-goo eyes at each other. You're not Romeo and J
Blythe
"[...] sometimes we meet our destiny on the road we take to avoid it."

No words of mine can even come close to portraying the stunning beauty and finesse that takes up each and every page of Jessi Kirby's magnificent Golden. Running through my mind since reading the very last page of Golden to now, as I am writing these inevitably inadequate words, are an endless amount of positive adjectives that could be used to describe Golden truthfully--it's breathtaking, it's lovely, it's striking and stu
✦❋Arianna✦❋
3.75 Stars!!

description

“Golden” was an interesting YA, coming of age novel that totally surprised me. What intrigued me reading the blurb was the fact the novel incorporates two different stories. And I love 'a story in a story'. I find this format very interesting and the good part was that I’ve got to read not only a story, but two. “Golden” is a story about life, taking chances, fear of change and all the aspects that comes with it. It’s a powerful read, well written with an important message that I’m v
Ari
A wonderful, emotional story that took my breath away!

Jessi Kirby doesn’t play with words, she plays with emotions. Her stories don’t have complicate plots, but subtle ones. Her prose is so beautiful that it leaves you breathless, the edge of her words cuts deep into your soul.. You can never have enough of her stories and I can never put into words how much I love everything written by her.

I don’t know if she puts a lot of effort into writing, or if it cames to her naturally, but it really fee
Jessie
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This is a beautiful coming of age story. Mixed with romance, friendship, and family.

Just like the 5th wave, this is one of my most anticipated books of the year. With all those praises out there, I was pretty sure this was going to turn out amazing. It was, a pretty nice read. Although I have to admit, I might have been slightly disappointed. I was expecting to be really blown away, but anyhow, this book actually made me think. It made me look back on my life and reflect.
G.S.Lima G.S.Lima
Ich bitte um einem Applaus, weil ich es geschafft habe, eine meiner grössten SuB-Leichen zu lesen 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Keertana
Very rarely do I come across novels that make me slow down, catch my breath, and actually reflect. Usually, I’m too caught up in the rush of the next book that I fly through my current read, type out a review, and put it behind me. Granted, I remember my favorite titles fondly, discuss and recommend them often, but either than the twist of my gut or intense swooning while reading, my love affair with the novel has ended almost as quickly as it began. Golden and I, however, are on an extended hon ...more
Giselle
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
This was such a beautiful read! I literally had goosebumps when I turned the last page. It's one of those all encompassing stories that leaves you to ponder your own past experiences, your own hopes and dreams - past, present, and future.

Do you often read back through your diaries or journals and reminisce on your high school days? In Golden, one teacher gives all his students just that opportunity. The class assignment is to fill a journal with everything you're hoping for yourself, then in 10
Faye, la Patata
An ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way. Thanks S&S, I love you, too.

Honestly, I'm finding it difficult to review this book. I went into this novel with absolutely no expectations, but with a faint hope that I'd be able to finally find a gem deserving of 5 stars, a hope that would quench my thirst for a masterpiece. That was, fortunately, answered. I turned the last page of Golden with feelings so conflicted, but also satisfied, as I'
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
"Every town has its stories. Stories that have been told so many times by so many different people they've worked themselves into the collective consciousness as truth."

On one hand, this was a highlighters delight, it had some really good lines that I could fill this review with, but on the other hand, Parker was just a vehicle in which to tell Julianna's story, for me.

"Their parents buried empty coffins"

But it's still well worth saying that the writing and especially the descriptions were amazi
Ash Wednesday
2.5 STARS

This story is about a girl reading about another girl's story.

And you are reading a review about a story about a girl reading about another girl's story.

Immediately after reading Golden my impulse was to give it a 4. Despite the sluggish start, I found myself captivated by a good and tautly drawn mystery in the middle wrapped in the simplicity of the character's thoughts and voices. My problem lay in the execution of the last act of the story, right when the mystery gets solved when s
Rose
Initial reaction: Right now this is a tentative rating, but this is probably going to end up being 2 or 2.5 stars overall. On the level of the writing and the use of Robert Frost's poems, the overarching intent of the narrative were wonderful.

But I had issues with this story on so many levels. I don't know if I can articulate them fully at the moment, but I'll try to do so after sleeping on it for a night.

Full review:

"When darkness is no less
Than everything you built become undone,
There's no fig
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
You guys are going to love this one! 1 part mystery, 2 parts love story, 10 parts awesome. :-)
i.
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I strongly recommend this book to teenagers because it encourages readers to take chances in life even if it means disappointing others to follow your dreams or simply to find out what your dreams are.

Jessy Kirby has also written about living with the decisions you made and sticking to them or on the contrary, changing your mind and making new choices to improve your life.

It is a beautiful and a bit hard coming of age novel full of poetry that may also show parents that once their children are o
Emily
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-so-sweet
My reaction to the cover and synopsis:

yay

Hurry up, May!!!
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Beatrice by: Allen Grace
Carpe Diem - Seize the day, live in the moment, soak it all up -- good or bad.

Golden is a story about a 17 year old girl senior high school student, Parker Frost. She lives a life with full of expectations from her mother since education is very important to get a good career. As much as possible, she maintains her good grades to attain the highest achievement, and get a scholarship. With too much pressure, sometimes she missed the fun side of high school life because once in a while we have to
Angie
May 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

I feel like contemporary YA and I are going through a rough patch. We're having trouble seeing eye to eye. We seem to be going in different directions. We don't want the same things anymore. Take your pick. I realize this is likely just an unfortunate string of mismatches, but after a little while it's hard not to take it personally, you know? So much good chatter surrounded today's release of Jessi Kirby's GOLDEN. Not having ready Kirby's previous two novels
Jasprit
Golden was a gorgeous novel that delves into the aspect of first loves and choices. Shane Cruz and Julianna Farnetti have always been looked up to as the golden couple in Summit Lakes. Their lives were taken too early on the night of their graduation. They’re honoured by a billboard with a photo of them as soon as you leave town and a scholarship to give youngsters a chance on what they missed out on. But when Parker is set the task of posting out diaries from students 10 years ago, she discover ...more
Kath S
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
description

I loved this book. It was beautiful, awesome and reflective and I just can’t put in words how I felt reading it.

I’ll post my review soon.

This was me, reading the last chapters:

Öznur (kendimizeaitbiroda)
"Bu geceye dek önemli seçimler yapmanın sahip olduğumdan daha fazla cesaret gerektirdiğini düşünürdüm. Fakat şu an burada asıl cesaret isteyen şeyin seçim yapmak olmadığının farkına varıyorum. Önemli olan, yaptığım seçimlerle yüzleşmek. İyi de olsa kötü de olsa onu sahiplenmek."
❄❄❄

Yoruma geçmeden önce kitabın konusundan biraz bahsetmek istiyorum. Bay Kinney, İngilizce dersine girdiği son sınıf öğrencilerine dönemin sonlarına yaklaştığı sıralarda bir defter hediye ediyor ve bu defterleri kendil
Nafiza
Let it be known that I am not one for realistic fiction unless it’s Australian in which case I am quite keen on it. Let it also be known that I, when I do read North American realistic fiction, I tend to be superpicky and critical about certain things because that’s who I am and that’s what I do.

That said and before I move into the review proper, let’s discuss the hype that has been surrounding this book. Okay, I don’t know when this review will be posted but it has been topping everyone’s chart
Füsun
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Gerçek aşk, kader, alınyazısı, tesadüfler ve kısmet. Hepsi gerçek hayattan ziyade kitaplarda ve filmlerde yer alan türden büyük ve romantik sözler. Gerçek hayatta insanlar birbirinden boşanıp yarım yamalak yaşamlar sürer, karşılıksız aşklar yaşar; hayatta ikinci şansları, yeniden başlama şansları ya da mükemmel anları olmaz."

Bir hayal kırıklığına daha hoşgeldiniz.

Bugün Farklı Olacak, hem kapağını çok beğendiğim hem de hemen hemen herkesin beğendiğini gördüğüm için sepete eklediğim bir kitaptı
Heather
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: may-2013, arc-tour
**This is an ARC review-- any quotes and excerpts included come from an unfinished copy and therefore may change before the final print**

Guys, Golden is a prime example of why I absolutely adore Contemporary Young Adult literature. I think I am definitely jumping on the Jessi Kirby bandwagon a little late. I have heard really wonderful things about both Moonglass and In Honor, but Golden is my first experience with her writing. And I was BLOWN away. If her earlier works are anything like her lat
Nastaran
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?”*

این کتاب چند تا موضوع داره که درموردش صحبت میکنه...
یه بخش خیلی مهم قصه درمورد تغییره... برای همهی ما پیش میاد تو جاهایی از زندگیمون همه چیز تغییر کنه... مثلا وقتی شش سالته و داری مدرسه رو شروع میکنی... یا وقتی مدرسه تموم میشه... و تو باید تصمیم بگیری که دانشگاه بری یا نری یا چی بخونی؟ وقتی لیسانس میگیری و فکر میکنی حالا ادامه بدی یا وقتشه یه کاری با مدرکت بکنی...؟
توی این نقطهها فکر آدم معمولا خیلی درگیره... توی این مرحله
Bonnie
A copy of Golden was provided to me by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers/Edelweiss for review purposes.

"Tell me, what do you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life."

Parker Frost has always lived her life with the future in mind. She has always studied hard and received good grades in hopes that she can attend Stanford after graduation and become a doctor. There has never been an alternate path for her, no detours or side streets to take, she has only had the one goal. When she
Melanie
Absolutely LOVED. Everything about it was perfection. Seriously.
Kendare Blake
Stay golden, Ponyboy. Stay golden. Must read this.
YA Buddy Readers'...: Golden by Jessi Kirby - Restarting March 13th, 2014 81 47 Mar 17, 2014 01:58PM
Book BFFs: Questions for Jessi Kirby 8 23 Aug 01, 2013 12:13PM

• The Book of Broken Hearts
  • How My Summer Went Up in Flames
  • When You Were Here
  • Premeditated
  • The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing, #1)
  • White Lines
  • Nantucket Blue (Nantucket, #1)
  • Where the Stars Still Shine
  • How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True
  • Wild Awake
  • Criminal
  • 17 & Gone

Jessi Kirby is a former English teacher and librarian. She lives in Orange County, CA with her husband and two kids, where she writes stories and runs the beach every day. Well, almost every day.

You can contact Jessi at jessi@jessikirby.com
“One often meets her destiny on the road she takes to avoid it.” 115 likes
“But sometimes life gives us those rare moments where we do see chance as it’s happening. And in those moments, we have a choice. And sometimes we have to take a risk. And it’s scary. It makes us vulnerable. But I know now it’s worth it.” 94 likes