Start by marking “The Lake House” as Want to Read:

The Lake House

A heartwarming debut novel about the unlikely friendship between two outcasts of different generations who, in struggling to move on from the past, discover love, healing, and family in a charming New England lakeside community.

Achingly tender, yet filled with laughter, The Lake House brings to life the wide range of human emotions and the difficult journey from heartbreak
Published May 7th 2013 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lake House, please sign up.
Megan Rath The sex scenes were mostly just alluded to, and not written in great/explicit detail, and there were a few curse words (probably less than 8 in the…moreThe sex scenes were mostly just alluded to, and not written in great/explicit detail, and there were a few curse words (probably less than 8 in the whole book), but over all it was a very "clean" read, I thought.(less)

Deborah
"The Lake House" is a refreshing and timely read for this generation. It's the story of an era nearly lost, actually, when friendships were close and communities were tight-knit; as well as what happens when one or two of the "flock" step out of the mold and then come "home." It's also the story of what makes a place a "home" and what constitutes family in a broader sense.

Part love story, coming of age, and coming to grips with loss and grief, this is the perfect book for those who love one that
Patty
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By
Marci Nault

My "in a nutshell " summary...

A small lake community with long time now elderly residents gets a new young homeowner.

My thoughts after reading this book...

The Lake House is a sweet sweet book about a community of friends that has spent most of their lives together. Well...all of them except one. That would be Victoria. She was the only one to leave her family, her friends, her almost fiancé...to seek fame and fortune as an actress all over the world. She has been back
Cheryl
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Victoria Rose left Nagog years ago with dreams of making it big in Hollywood. Fortunately no matter how far you go, you will always have a place to go back to to call home.

Heather Bregman is a columnist. She has traveled all over the world. Her boyfriend is her publicist. After returning from her latest travels, Heather realizes that she wants more out of her life and she would like to go some place quieter. So she packs up and leaves and heads to Nagog.

I thought that this book was a sweet one
Cindy
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. A bit on the boring side. I felt no connection to the characters. I really got tired of the old folks talking about sex and pulling pranks on the young Heather. Not humorous at all. I thought this book would be a good beach read but instead it made me want to go inside and take a nap.
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Fifty years ago, a group of good friends decided that they would always stay in their perfect lakeside community of Nagog. Nagog is pretty much like Pleasantville. Everyone knows everyone and the houses are handed down from generation to generation. Victoria Rose grew up there, but instead fled the community many years ago as a teenager for Hollywood and made it as a successful actress. Her friends never forgave her, except for Molly. She has since returned home to Nagog and is trying to get pas ...more
Cheryl
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Travel writer Heather Bregman never had much of a home life. Now she finds herself in the midst of a nasty break up with her fiance. She longs for a home and friends. Before leaving on another trip, she buys a small home in Nagog, a lakeside community outside of Boston.

Aging actress Victoria Rose grew up in Nagog but fled what she thought was a stifling atmosphere to pursue an acting career in Hollywood. After living her dream, she decides to return to Nagog to retire among her close childhood f
Cardmaker
Aug 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I started this book three days ago and today, at page 136, I gave up and closed the book forever. It's one more for my "Couldn't Finish" bookshelf.

I struggled with the writing from page one, but when I reached page 37 and came across this horrible attempt at descriptive writing, I knew I was in trouble ... "Victoria's circulation slowed as her blood solidified. She felt like a china cabinet suffering an earthquake, her strength breaking into tiny prismatic shards that reflected like the church's
Linda Marie Marsh
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought that Lake House was an enjoyable, light read and it made me even more eager for spring to get sprung! I grew up in a small coastal town in New England so i understood the characters, the love of home and yet, for some, the urge to fly away. It's also a generational novel- the connection and similarities in lives....
I liked it, a solid 3.5 stars.
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
The small community of Nagog is filled with memories, both joyful and painful for Victoria Rose. As children, Victoria and her friends promised to stay together in their tight-knit community. However, as Victoria grew, she knew the small town life wasn’t for her. She had dreams of being an actress. She broke her promise and left the community, breaking the hearts of her friends, and her childhood sweetheart. After a life haunted by tragedy, Victoria seeks refuge in the community she abandoned, w ...more
Lydia Laceby
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was ok

2.5 Star

Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes.

I love stories that intermix generations and those that swap between the past and present, so I had high hopes for The Lake House. Unfortunately, though, even with this novel being an easy read that was fun in parts, I was disappointed in the end.

The Lake House would make a great beach read not only because it’s easy to read, but because the majority of the novel’s setting is on a lake. The cover alone had me craving some cottage time and reminded me
Brenda
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
"The Lake House" is a story that had me thinking about friendships and second chances. Victoria Rose and a group of her friends grew up in Nagog, a tiny little lakeside town where people lived in their own little bubble. Her friends never dreamed of anything more, content to stay in Nagog they make a pact to never leave.While her friends earned their living in Boston, they normally returned to Nagog on weekends, but not Victoria, she moved to California, but now she is returning home hoping to m ...more
Jayme VA
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, src-summer-2013
The Lake House tells a story of an older generation, holding on to the spirit of their childhood and young adult lives on the lake. The community was started when a group of families purchase all the land around the lake and made their own private summer paradise. Now, the children of the original group are in their 70s and 80s and their children are trying to convince them to move into nursing homes. Still filled with spunk and feeling much younger than they are, they won't go easy.

One of the c
Jenny
Apr 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: Kendra
Shelves: book-club
Sherry Rummler
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was drawn to read the Lake House because I am consistently lured to read anything near water. I was not expecting the book to be based on an older generation but was pleasantly surprised that the author created real characters whom even after ageing carried the bitterness of the past. It made me contemplate things in my own life when not resolved through communication can lead to years of regret or miss-understandings. The author also weaved multi-generational aspects to the novel which kept i ...more
Deborah Bussey
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it
There were many parts of this book that I liked. The description of Nagog was done in such a way that it became another character in the book. I wished that the characters were described in such a way that allowed for more emotional depth. I didn't really feel the tension between the characters. I also did not know whether or not I was reading a romance novel or a fiction story that revolved around a different kind of "coming of age" women's story. I did like the characters Victoria, Heather and ...more
Leigh
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
About 1/3 of the way in, I almost put this book down because it didn't feel "deep" enough. I am glad I kept going because these characters are so well developed that you feel their pain and joy -- I craved time with them. The Lake House is one of those wonderful stories of the family and friendship, and reminds us about what really matters in life. I literally laughed out loud and wiped away the tears that streamed down my cheeks.

The love between the elders after years of marriage- or finding ne
Diannesusanmiller
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was thoroughly entertained by this book! Marci did a wonderful job drawing us into the close relationship that developed between Heather and Victoria. I stayed up way too late several nights because I could not put this book down. This would have been a perfect beach/vacation read, but it also worked very well as a "I've had a stressful day and need to unwind" read!
Colleen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
I simply reached a point where I couldn't go on anymore, mainly because I disliked the characters and the actual community so much. What a bunch of snobs! I'm sure they redeemed themselves at some point, but I just couldn't bear them a moment longer. And although I didn't finish it, I'm pretty sure the outcome was exactly what I've predicted, so why go on? Very disappointing.
Megan Jordan
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. I enjoy the snippets of past and then the present, and the characters were intriguing but I couldn't quite connect with the whole piece. I wanted more connection to the love stories and to the heartache of the main characters. Perhaps I didn't connect because of the age of some of them, not sure. A light read that could have been a bit more.
Chloe Sluis
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You will be able to find a part of your self in one or more of the Characters in this book. I could not put this book down and had to finish it cover to cover. Settle in for a journey of self discovery and hope as well as expect to fall in love with the residents of Nagog.
Adrienne
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full review on my blog :-) https://theaimlessreview.wordpress.co...
Melissa
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing

There's a special announcement at the end of the review, so be sure to check it out!
Jocelyn
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Poignant, inspiring and beautifully written. A gem of a novel!
Pauline Bandlow
Loved it.
Lynette
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Worth checking out.
Anne S
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
I liked this book because I was looking for an "easy" read that was pretty upbeat. The book talks about friendships that arise because of small communities and what happens when one leaves the community for bigger and better adventures. One side tells the story of Victoria who left this community after her boyfriend returned from WW2 and how her life was outside of New England of what he had and lost and why she returned 50 years later.
The other side is a young journalist who has roamed all over
Jamie Latshaw
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finished this book in a weekend (would have been sooner if I hadn't had to sleep!) Such a feel-good story about a close knit lake community and the past stories / secrets they share and sometimes choose to forget.
Chris
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nicely done- just a smooth good story
Katherine
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
love summer reads
Larry
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a chick flick kind of book. If was very predictable and I did not find it compelling.
  • The Glass Wives
  • The River of Forgetting: A Memoir of Healing from Sexual Abuse
  • There Is No Hope Here
  • The Offering
  • The Third Peril
  • The Killing Storm (Sarah Armstrong, #3)
  • I'll Take What She Has
  • And Then I Found You
  • Strange in Skin
  • Out of Breath  (The Lithia Trilogy, #1)
  • Something Red
Marci Nault hails from a town not too far from Lake Nagog in Massachusetts. Today she can be found figure skating, salsa dancing, hiking and wine tasting around her home in California.

Marci is the founder of www.101dreamscometrue.com, a motivational website that encourages visitors to follow their improbable dreams. Her story about attempting to complete 101 of her biggest dreams has been feature