Start by marking “Montana” as Want to Read:
Montana

Montana

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  1,931 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Her grandfather wants her to come home, and Molly thinks she just might. His ranch will be a good place for her sons to grow up, a place to escape big-city influences. Then she learns—from a stranger named Sam Dakota—that her grandfather is ill. Possibly dying. Molly packs up the kids without a second thought and makes the long drive to Sweetgrass, Montana.

Once she arrives
Published December 18th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Montana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Montana

Katrina Passick Lumsden
Debbie Macomber is one cheesy author. This is the second book I've read from her, and when you encounter that much cheese twice, you have to accept it as an established pattern.

She's not a terrible writer, it's just that her plots come across as both weak and entirely ludicrous. I mean, we've got a single mom whose ex husband is in prison for fraud, an ex rodeo champ ex-con love interest, a hooker with a heart of gold, and a secret militia hell bent on acquiring massive amounts of land for a tr
Cecelia
Aug 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Molly relocates from California to Montana to help her ill grandfather run his ranch. She's angry and sad about the demise of her ex-husband. Her ex is in prison for swindling old folks out of their funds. When she arrives, she meets Sam Dakota (her grandfather's foreman). Sam has a few secrets of his own. Molly is at odds about the way she feels about Sam. He's nice to her kids, especially her wayward son, so, he has a few good attributes.

But, trouble appears. Mysterious acts of vandalism and a
Michele
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I laughed, I cried, I couldn't put it down! The only problem is figuring out the ending. I wish I'd been wrong, but it worked. Love, love, loved the book!
Kathy jenkins
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
just needed a little easy reading as my weekend was full of "hurry up and wait" things so i had little spurts of reading time. I took it with me to the Winterjam concert Friday night and whipped it out and read when one of the bands was not capturing my attention. It was like talking with a friend during class and getting away with it!

I forget how early in Macomber's career this was written; it had plenty romantic fluff and a scarely mysterious plot twist. Couple things i love about Macomber - h
Julie Barrett
Jul 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Montana by Debbie Macomber
Molly is not only going through a divorce but her husband had dragged her name through the court trials when he took money from others.
Now that she's moved back home to her father's ranch in Montana she has a lot on her plate. No job but taking care of everything on the ranch.
Sam Dakota is the hand that has not only taken care of the ranch but her father's ailing health. She finds out other tidbits about how desperate things really are.
There are so questions as to why t
Amy
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rather surprised that I liked this book by Debbie McCumber. Not that I don't care for the author, as a matter fact the opposite is true. It just didn't seem like this was her standard storyline from what the back of the book said. However I was very pleasantly surprised and found myself drawn into the story. You could see a lot of the plotline coming, but that did not make it any less entertaining or fun. I found that I liked Sam a lot more than I thought I would originally though I would've ...more
Linda
Oct 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a Debbie Macomber fan for some time now and just discovered this little gem of a book. It's quite different from most of her novels in that this one gives as much attention to the development of the leading male character as it does with the leading female. I'm more used to Macomber's books being mainly about women and the relationships that bind them to other women. This book delves into the coming together of a family amidst the many struggles of running a ranch and staving off outsi ...more
Katelyn
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I have read many books about the west and after traveling there and living in Missoula, MT for 2.5 years I appreciate the fact that she didn't go into too much detail about the area although some of her descriptions would be more accurate to Eastern MT. There is nothing I hate more than an author putting animals in environments they aren't or mountains where there are none, I found none of these mistakes. MaComber also does a great job with the story.
Tara
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read and another Macomber goodie.. Short and to the point story about a girl who moves in with her grandfather, who just wants to see her happy. She marries one of the ranch hands that her grandfather suggests and they fall in love and save the ranch.. Happily ever after after the rough life they lead to that point..
Connie
May 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: already-read
This book was great. It was easy to read and an exciting mystery that keeps you guessing. I couldn't read it fast enough to try figuring out all the twists and turns. Right down to the last page.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
good read.
Robin Brennan
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was like the troubles of Job. One major problem or crisis piled on after another...which needless to say makes her question the male interest. That says it all.
Diana Davis
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: debbie2106
Loved loved this book! I love Debbie's writing style and this book had romance, suspense and danger all rolled into one. I would love to see this book become a movie...hint hint Hallmark. Great read and it keeps you captivated until the very end.
Joni
Feb 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 3 1/2 stars. Not my favorite Debbie Macomber book but it was enjoyable. There was one crisis after another which kept it interesting but was a little over the top for what I was expecting. Still I enjoyed it.
Debra McEathron
This story was a little long and the characters especially Molly were somewhat boring and she kept referring back to the ex. It took me a long time to finish this story. It didn't hook me until the last 70 pages.
Yona
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a big part of the book I had a problem with Molly and the way she acted, but as I continued to read I was very satisfied with how she changed.
And I have to say I loved the end.
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
The main female character was REALLY annoying in the beginning. Probably my least favorite of the Debbie Macomber books I've read.
Lesley
Nov 01, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good love story with a little suspense.
Teri Pre
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: march2017
This was the worst Macomber book I've read...and I've read a LOT of them. The story line didn't make a lot of sense, it jumped around and the behavior of the characters wasn't even close to believable. I didn't check but I have a feeling this was one of her early books. Thankfully she's gotten a LOT better!!!
Cathy
I enjoyed reading some of Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series, so I chose this book, "Montana," to take for some light reading on a trip. It was only $1, and I figured I could leave it behind to make space in my luggage for any purchase I wanted to make. I usually pass along light reads anyway.

I preferred Debbie Macomber's Blossom Street series. They were more innocent. Now I understand why a friend of mine was opposed to Debbie Macomber books.

This romance reminds me of my teen's description
Marina
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was another good read by Ms. Macomber. Good story with great characters.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self:Sweetgrass, Montana
Molly Cogan(divorced,granddaughter,translator,pal,new ranch owner)&Tom C.(her son,14yo,Thomas,older bro) and Clay C.(her son,bro,11yo)+Sam Dakota(ex-con,36yo,ranch foreman,ex-rodeo star)=Cassie Marie(their girl,half sis),Walt Wheaton(grandfather,widower, ranch owner,67yo,died)
Anne Holly
Mar 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gave-away
I read this a few weeks ago, and, to be honest, I recall very little about it - not sure this is a good sign, though I recall finding it a relaxing read, so I think it did its job. The main characters were likeable enough, though their actions were occasionally nonsensical. There was a subplot involving militia guys, which I largely breezed through. (view spoiler) Still, I like Macomber, so it did the trick well en ...more
Barbi
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable book full of romance, family, mystery, and a who-dun-it scenario.
Molly is a single mother trying to raise her 2 boys when she finds out that her grandfather's time is limited. She packs up and returns to Montana and the ranch where she spent lots of time as a child. Things have changed a lot but not the love for her grandfather. She meets Sam, the new foreman. There are questions about his past but he is a hard worker who has earned the respect of her grandfather.
Throw
Katherine VanderSluis
Oct 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
The story line was OK, as were the primary characters, but overall not as compelling as intended (plot involving conspiratorial uprising, crime, and supposed suspense). Macomber should not try to write "tough" or action-- it's not her forte. For example, she's not familiar with the difference between a working dog and a pet, though farmers and ranchers see the two very distinctly. Even the rodeo/ranch setting seems outside her bailiwick. She also shouldn't try to write sex. Oy! She should stick ...more
Paula Dembeck
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

Molly, a single mother of 2 boys is down to last dollar when Sam, a worker on her Grandfather's ranch, calls to tell her that her grandfather is really ill. Molly returns to a place she had only good memories to find that the place is rundown and the man helping Walt run the place has secrets. Someone in town wants to buy them out and will go to any measure to scare them into it...this forces Molly to consider marrying Sam.

Not a bad romantic tale but is low on suspense.
Heidi
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shannon
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has everything and I mean everything in it, a kidnapping, murder, radical militia group, arranged marriage, vandalism, cattle rustling, divorce, betrayal, marriage, a secret bad guy and , much more. It was really just too much and no way believable. As a result, it is accidentally hilarious.
Elizabeth
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely darker than many of Debbie Macomber's books, but effective. Most of it seemed more realistic than much of her writing, although it is similar to many of her books that a marriage begins in unusual circumstances. Reminded me more of her Promise, Texas, series than Blossom Street or Cedar Cove, it that's helpful. I really enjoyed it, as it was one of her more original books.
Jeanne
Apr 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Debbie Macomber's style. Being a Montana native, I was disappointed that she didn't paint a broader picture of Montana in this book. I thought I was familiar with where Sweetgrass is located, but Debbie didn't spend much time describing the area. As I "googled" it, I learned that I was mistaken about it's location. Nonetheless, I liked the book.
Enjoyed greatly 5 11 Jun 26, 2017 04:05AM
Have you ever relocated to another state? 1 1 Jun 25, 2017 05:39AM
  • The NKJV, American Patriot's Bible: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
  • The Making Of A Leader
  • Prayers That Bring Change: Power-Filled Prayers that Give Hope, Heal Relationships, Bring Financial Freedom and More!
  • God's Creative Power Will Work For You
  • The Prophet's Dictionary: The Ultimate Guide to Supernatural Wisdom
  • This Day We Fight!: Breaking the Bondage of a Passive Spirit
  • By Faith Alone
  • Dressed to Kill: A Biblical Approach to Spiritual Warfare and Armor
  • The Jewish Code
  • Does Your Tongue Need Healing
  • The Spirit of Python: Identify what constricts your life and kills your dreams
  • The Rules Of Engagement: The Art of Strategic Prayer and Spiritual Warfare
  • Self Incrimination
  • Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with Truth.
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • The Love Revolution
  • The Maker's Diet: The 40-Day Health Experience That Will Change Your Life Forever
  • Spiritual Authority
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
  • In The Flesh
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)