Start by marking “Too Good to Be True” as Want to Read:
Too Good to Be True

Too Good to Be True

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  19,130 ratings  ·  1,303 reviews
How far would you go to get over a guy?

When Grace Emersons ex-fiance starts dating her younger sister, extreme measures are called for. To keep everyone from obsessing about her love life, Grace announces that shes seeing someone. Someone wonderful. Someone handsome. Someone completely made up. Who is this Mr. Right? Someone exactly unlike her renegade neighbor Callahan O'
Published December 18th 2012 by HQN (first published January 27th 2009)

·  19,130 ratings  ·  1,303 reviews

Start your review of Too Good to Be True
Melissa
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just in case my other reviews of her books haven’t adequately conveyed my feelings, I’m completely smitten with Kristan Higgins’ storytelling—the sarcastic humor, the big beating heart at the center of it all, and her always easy to adore characters, seem to get me every time.

Seven books in and it’s quite clear she has a formula to her madness:

-There’s always a 30-something woman looking to settle down (time's a tickin')
-The man this so-called woman wants to end up with (let’s be honest, she’s o
BookLover
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When it comes to writing a review about a Kristan Higgins book, I honestly feel like a broken record. All of the things I love about her other books, I loved about this book. From the community of characters that give me a sense of belonging while I tag along for the story, to my feelings of wanting to defend the heroine against all of the situations and peopler doing her wrong. Too Good To Be True was no exception.

This story, told in the first person, was about Grace Emerson. Grace, when she wa
Lili
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing was good but the plot was not very... believable?, interesting?, appealing?
And the characters... well.. I liked the dog!

I loved Cal until the lying thing, then he went bersek and made a huge deal about someting so stupid!, the whole scene didn't make sense to me.

Grace... ugh! I just feel soooo sorry for Grace, she's so busy worrying about what other people think of her that she forgets about living and ejoying life.
But forget about that, my main problem with Grace is the fact that h
Tammy
Jan 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grace Emerson is a history teacher at a stuffy prep school, devoted sister and daughter, and a Civil War buff (who participates in re-enacting the battles), but she also has a small problem: she invents imaginary boyfriends in time of crisis. For instance, in middle school she wanted to be accepted by the cool kids, so she invented an older, much cooler boyfriend who attended a different school. Worked like a charm. The same thing worked for her in high school when she invented a beautiful, Fren ...more
Quirky and funny, Too Good to Be True is another Kristan Higgins winner. The heroine is a character easy to understand and empathize with, even if she does present herself as a major doormat at times. The admirable theme that runs throughout this novel and its main characters is the loyalty and protectiveness of family, even when loved ones don't deserve or return it. Overall, I found this adult romance standalone to be an easy and enjoyable reading experience. If you're a Kristan Higgins fan, d ...more
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
I should have thought this book was Too good to be true..After reading the title.Seriously :(

description

This story might have had a history teacher and an ex-convict..but I only ended up like the dog....I know :/

Initally, I picked up this book with high expectations in regards of humor and romance but ended up being thoroughly disappointed until the very end..soo very boring.

In facy,Im pretty sure I cultivated a migraine,after skimming through the glowed up pages on my phone....

So yes well.As the title so
Mo
Jun 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I honestly thought I had read this book and all the books that KH has released but it was unread on my kindle and not a sign of a highlight in the book ... but as I was reading it, I was thinking to myself "this seems a little familiar" ... maybe all Ms Higgins' books are a little similar and sort of morph into the same reading pattern for me. Granted, her heroines are always quite similar, quirky, they find it hard to meet the man of their dreams and find love, there is always a strang
Vintage
Grace feels the need to once again create a fictional beau. It worked when she was a girl and a teen, and it should work now. This time it's to fend off the sympathy and concern generated by friends and family because her fiancee cried because he fell in love with her perfect little sister. (For once, little sis is not a conniving bitch and genuinely loves Grace, but, heh, Grace still got dumped three weeks before her wedding.)

Grace's lies take little effort as she's been down this road before,
Mojca
Feb 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of smart, funny, funky chick-lit
Meet Grace Emerson. She's thirty, she's a prep school history teacher, Civil Was enthusiast, member of a Civil War reenactment group, proud Highland Terrier owner, old Victorian house owner, middle child, jilted three weeks before the wedding...But that was more than a year ago.

Now, her ex-fiancé is dating her younger sister (that's the reason he broke up with her), she's indulging in too much Ben and Jerry's, she invented a boyfriend so people wouldn't pity her, and she recently assaulted her h
Didi
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, betrayal
Once again, I'm reminded why I'm such a fan of Kristan Higgins. Her work just resonates with me. Loved this book although it was lighter on the emotional angst than her usual fare--and that's okay. You can't always have us in tears, Kristan!
This time around we're treated to a sexy neighbour next door in the form of Callahan O'Shea. Even his name is sexy! One hockey stick injury from a freaked out Grace Emerson, and Cal falls hard. Poor Grace is trying to get past being dumped for her sister...t
Karen
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I admit it. I'm just a sappy romantic at heart. How I love these books!
Jacob Proffitt
Well this was an interesting surprise. This was a solid romance that I ended up enjoying despite some elements that threw me out of the story. Grace was engaging, despite some elements that bugged me. Mainly, though, my engagement was driven by a huge crush on Callahan.

Grace has, well, issues. She has taken some recent hits and her coping mechanism is the protective lie. Which is exactly the recipe for landmines you'd expect it to be. I was a bit worried by the presence of so much farce early in
A_Ryan
4 "God's Nightgown! It's another fake boyfriend!!" stars.

Best bit: It's a toss up between Higgins' sarcastic humour, heartfelt storylines, and the heroine (Grace). It's not often that I like the heroine more than I do the hero but I really felt a tremendous connection with the adorable civil war buff. Perhaps it's because I share her love for Gone with the Wind (I often refer to Rhett Butler as my most favourite hero of all time...and while James Fraser comes awfully close, in truth, there is
Camila (previously the opinionated Catruler)

So, here is the thing... I like cats. In case my name hadn't clued you in, yes, I'm a cat person.

When I go to other people's houses, I either glare at their dogs or run from them. Even the ones I like, I would never have. Dogs are smelly, drool and require more attention than what I'm willing to give to anything alive.

And seriously, some dogs are cute. But cats? Way cuter!

Kristan Higgins is a dog person. I knew this going in. This is not the first KH book I read. Plus, every single one
Elizabeth
Kristan Higgins is one of the smartest, funniest contemporary authors out there!
★¸. • * ° * ༺*Blanka*༺*°°*•.¸. ♥★

I was really disappointed with this one. Grace was one of the biggest push overs ever! I'm all about being there for your family but this girl took it too far.
She was engaged to Andrew who 3 weeks or maybe 5 weeks before the wedding calls it quits (due to being in love with her younger sister).
She is heart broken over it, but hooks them up, it hurts her to see them together yet she goes to each event she is invited to.
Her grandmother calls her nasty names yet she visits her 3x a week.
Push-fuckin
Fani *loves angst*
Loved the writing, loved some scenes, but most of the heroine's family were assholes and the hero, though great for the whole book, had to swallow a stick in the very end that made him stiff as a..... stick I guess and me mad at him . Still, a very entertaining story ;I think I am becoming addicted to Higgins' stories!
Nita Kohli
A Chick Lit after a long time and I quite enjoyed it!

Book Cover
The cover is really pretty and all girly with a sexy pose of a couple and yes..color pink! And then there is cute little dog too which according to the story should be Agnes. So, yes a very nice-looking cover.

Plot
The story is of Grace Emerson who is a teacher and lives with her cute little dog Agnes(I guess this is the name!)
She has two sisters Margaret and Natalie. Margs is a lawyer and married to Stuart. Natalie is like a beautiful
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"

Not only did her cowardly ex dump her 3 weeks before their wedding, he fell into insta-luv with h's younger, beautiful, perfect sister. More to follow.
Duchess Nicole
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: Shatara
This was a sweet little contemporary, though I didn't feel as if it had the emotional punch as the other Kristan Higgins that I've read. Grace was quite the doormat up until the very end, and Callahan was quite the jerk except for a thirty page stint. His reaction to Grace's made up boyfriend thing is over the top.

Still, the writing is clever, with lots of laugh out loud moments and the requisite adorable dog. I love how Grace's pup has the big dog syndrome so prevalent in smaller breeds and is
Sláinte Wanderlust
This book is so fantastic, i laughed so many times. It is honestly one of the funniest books i have ever read. Absolutely amazing book. There is a scene in this book in a restaurant, i laughed so hard I thought I might pee my panties. seriously :)

Favorite lines - "Jesus is my wingman." & "Was it me, or did a lot of men leave in handcuffs when i was around"
Mona
DNF at 86 pages.

This book wasn't too bad from what I read, but I felt bored and annoyed at times with the main character Grace.

description

I have a feeling this will be focused purely on her and the romance will feel like its a back story. So no thank you, this is...

description

I'm leaving this unrated, because in my imagination (where I have all the time in the world) I'll one day be able to come back to this and finish it.

description

We all have our flaws LOL
♥Sharon♥
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I know I can always count on Kristan Higgins for a fluffy, fun, sweet and romantic read.

I enjoyed this one. Loved both the H & h. Cal and Grace were perfect for each other. I loved the slow realization as well as the bumps in the roads that they faced.

Great side characters too. Even Angus the mutt. :)

And the Epilogue.....**sigh** loved it!

Andrea
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
3.5 Stars
The plan: By the end of the year, I will have read all of Higgin’s books. Why? Because they are damn good time! This was another easy, entertaining read. Yet, for a bit, I was thinking the plot was going to head south and I winced my way through until.....COMEUPPANCE!!!! Soooo satisfying. Give this one a go for smile.
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Grace Emerson's ex-boyfriend is a prick. Seriously. And her younger sister? A spoiled moron. Grace sure isn't perfect either.

Luckily, she has better luck next time around in the love department with her neighbor Callahan (I love the name Callahan, by the way). She accidentally hits him with a hockey stick...and then a couple of other times too. Luckily, he has a well-developed sense of humor. He also appreciates that Grace's neurotic tendencies can be construed as cute instead of completely insa
Ginger
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, romance
This book was funny and I enjoyed it.
Grace is a kick with her love for Civil War reenactments, her Scottish terrier who doesn't obey and lying to her family. Callahan was a great love interest and I love how they first meet in the book. I was dying.

The secondary characters were hilarious from Grace's oldest sister, her parents (loved them!) and her gay best friend who teaches senior citizens how to salsa. They each had their own personalities and I would laugh or smile at their antics.

Sometimes
Ani Gonzalez
Funny book. Great characters. I hated the heroine's family with the passion of a thousand burning suns. I still wish they had been eaten by zombies, but, alas, that would be a different genre.
Nefise
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, neighborhood
I once tried the book and liked. Though in the right mood, I really like it a lot. Author's one of talent that I love most is how she develops secondary characters and make them a vital part of the story. Also, her heroines are usually very sweet and easy to like. This one is not an exception.

Rather than romance, I liked mostly Grace's journey of finding peace with her family, with her life. There are many funny scenes but the one where she said to her family that she was at the restaurant with
Katyana
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
Eh. What's sad is that I liked it quite a bit until the last 50 or so pages. H/H have a fight about something really stupid ((view spoiler)), and it really wrecked the couple for me. I was hoping the author would salvage it with the hero having a come-to-Jesus moment of realization (view spo ...more
Leona
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
5 stars for characterization and laugh out loud moments. Minus 1 star for the "holier than thou" attitude of the hero, especially towards the end. The epilogue was a good save, but not enough to get it back to 5 stars.

Total 4 stars.

• Bet Me
  • Practice Makes Perfect
  • Sex, Lies, and Online Dating (Writer Friends, #1)
  • Manhunting
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1)
  • He Loves Lucy
  • The Cinderella Deal
  • The Sweetest Thing (Lucky Harbor, #2)
  • Call Me Irresistible (Wynette, Texas, #5)
  • Just the Sexiest Man Alive
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • Getting Rid of Bradley
  • A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
  • My Sinful Longing (Sinful Men #3)
  • Measuring Up
  • Not Another Bad Date (Writer Friends, #4)
Kristan Higgins is the New York Times, USA TODAY, Wall Street Journal and Publishers Weekly bestselling author of 19 novels, which have been translated into more than two dozen languages and sold millions of copies worldwide. Her books have received dozens of awards and accolades, including starred reviews from Kirkus, The New York Journal of Books, Publishers Weekly, Library Journal , People and ...more