Start by marking “Home by Dark (Watcher in the Dark #1)” as Want to Read:
Home by Dark (Watcher in the Dark #1)

Home by Dark (Watcher in the Dark #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  335 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
The past can catch up to you....

Rachel Weaver Mason is finally going home to Deer Run, the Amish community she left behind so many years ago. Recently widowed, she wants desperately to create a haven for herself and her young daughter. But the community, including Rachel’s family, is anything but welcoming.

The only person happy to see her is her teenaged brother, Benjami

Published December 18th 2012 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about Home by Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home by Dark

Rhonda
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 STARS
Home by Dark is full of drama,some normal life and some scary stuff. Enough to keep you in the dark about what was going on till the end of the story. It is also a clean read.
Rachel Weaver Mason and her 9 year daughter are moving back to her hometown of Deer Run. The Amish community she left when she married out of the Amish into the English world. Her mother-in-law left her home to Rachel. Which surprised her because she did not approve of her son marring a Amish girl and kicked him out
Wendy
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
BACK OF THE BOOK BLURB

Determined to keep Benjamin safe from a suspected killer, Rachel has no choic
Shannon
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I received my first read book free from goodreads giveaway. This was a very pleasant story about family, but it also included a mystery as well which was a good twist to the book, I enjoyed this story and would read more from this author, thanks for the giveaway which was also a signed copy, I really appreciated this even though I am not a big fan of Amish stories I liked this one and would recommend to family and friends.
Carolyn E
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As always, another exciting book from Marta Perry. Home by Dark is the first book in a new Amish series. It is another delightful mystery that takes place in Deer Run, Pennsylvania. I am looking forward to more books in this series. I recommend it to everyone, especially those of you who are fans of Amish fiction.
Janie  R.
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it

I always enjoy Marta Perry's Amish suspense/mystery stories. This is the 1st book of this series, it's fast paced reading,and keeps you on reading, as the book gets more suspenseful! Looking forward to the next book in the series!
Misty Baker
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it
** As posted on KindleObsessed blog **

A few weeks ago I was wandering aimlessly through my favorite bookstore when I was struck with this overwhelming need to read a simple (not simple-minded) clean romance.

My husband, who is used to seeing me peruse shelves of a much darker variety (aka: Science Fiction/Fantasy or even Horror) was shocked when he finally found me staring transfixidly at the Christian Fiction aisle. I’m in no way opposed to this section of the store mind you, but it’s a bit of
Gloria
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rated, reviewed
Rachel Weaver Mason returns to Deer Run when her mother in law passes away and leaves her home to Rachel and her nine year old daughter, Mandy. Rachel was raised Amish but fell in love and ran off to marry Ronnie Mason, an Englischer, against the wishes of her family and Ronnie's as well. Ronnie was killed in a wreck so mother and daughter have moved back to Deer Run for a new start and to turn the Mason home into a bed and breakfast. No one really welcomes them back but Rachel's fourteen year o ...more
Nfloodtularosa.net
Captivating romantic suspense

Captivating romantic suspense with creepy villains and likable main characters. Well thought out plot without all the long descriptive sex scenes so many books today seem to have.
Bernadette
Feb 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Barely managed to make myself finish. Only the mystery made me get to the end. Really disliked the romance part of this story.
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
Synopsis
“Rachel Weaver Mason is finally going home to Deer Run, the Amish community she left behind so many years ago. Recently widowed, she wants desperately to create a haven for herself and her young daughter. But the community, including Rachel's family, is anything but welcoming. The only person happy to see her is her teenage brother, Benjamin, and he's protecting a dark secret that endangers them all.

Determined to keep Benjamin safe from a suspected killer, Rachel has no choice but to tur
Linda Walters
I liked this story, just had to get used to the fact that it is a slower paced one. Slowly building some of the background stories of life when Rachel was still considered Amish. It also went on to show some of the struggles she was having on returning to the town. I liked the main characters, Rachel, her daughter Mandy and Colin. It seems Rachel and Colin have been laboring under more than one misunderstanding for years. Rachel just wants to get her life together, get her bed and breakfast up a ...more
Debbie
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Home By Dark by Marta Perry gets 5 stars. This is the first book I have read by Marta Perry. I have to be honest and say that at first I didn't like it but I keep reading it because we were going to be discussing it in an online book club I am in. I had heard some people liked it and some people didn't and I was curious about it and I am the type of person that needs to finish a book once I start it. The book is about Rachel (who was raised Amish) comes back to Deer Run and discovers that her br ...more
IrenesBookReviews
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Moving back to the place she left would not be easy but Rachel decides it is what is best for her and her daughter. Her mother-in-law has left her a house to live in and it seems the perfect time to make the change. Her brother is one of the few people in her familiar Amish community to welcome her back. He seems upset by something though and that is when the real action of the story begins. Colin, a friend of Rachel’s late husband, stops by and their relationship is the little bit of romance in ...more
Robin (Saturndoo)
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015-read, amish, mystery
Not bad but not what I was expecting. I love books involving the Amish, but was disappointed as I was hoping for a mystery/suspense but got romance with very little suspense instead. The cover is nice but deceiving. Oh well better luck next time.

This book wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. It falls in that gray area where it's just a mindless quick read to kill time. The two main characters were simple with just enough information given to get a glimpse of their history. Nothing more was deve
Holly
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rachel Mason has returned to Deer Run with her nine year old daughter in tow. She becomes reacquainted with her younger brother, 14 year old Benj and suspects there is something bothering him, but decides to try to wait to confront the problem until it becomes clear she and her daughter are also in danger. She and Colin, her late husband's friend fight to solve creepy happenings in their small town. Can they solve the mystery in time?
This was a lighter suspense novel, perfect for a person like
Rosalind Villers
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
In Home by Dark, after the death of her husband, Rachel Mason returns to the community she left years before to open a B&B to support her and her daughter. Being so close to her Amish family, who still hasn’t quite forgiven her for leaving, is painful, but she reconnects with old friends and slowly makes headway with members of her family. She’s also drawn to her husband’s childhood friend, who seems determined to help her whether she wants it or not. But someone is attempting to do harm to ...more
Sherri
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Marta Perry delivers yet again! A little suspense, nostalgia, romance, redemption and justice all rolled into one beautiful package. If you are a "Marta fan," you will love Home by Dark. This story quickly pulled me in and I didn't want to put it down. I particularly enjoyed the Amish/English story line. Living in a small town myself, I could completely relate to the atmosphere of Deer Run. I can't wait for the sequel!

*****I received this book from the first read Goodreads giveaway. The opinions
C.
I wasn't as thrilled with this Marta Perry book, as I normally am. The pacing was excruciatingly slow. There was far too much repetition, so it seemed like I was reading the same scenes, over and over again. Colin, constantly thinking of the same kiss he shared with Rachael.

The book didn't even come close to explaining what was going on until the last 1/4 of the book! It could have been at least 150 pages shorter. I did like the original ending, but it just wasn't worth all the tediousness, and
Holly
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm not entirely sure what I was 'expecting' from this story - but when I looked at everyone's comments I guess I was expecting this whole big mystery style book that would keep me enthralled and intrigued at every turning page. I found it slow moving, predictable, never really kept my interest. Did I finish it? Yes....I kept waiting for the suspect to grab me - which it never did. We simply kept rolling along.......and along......and along....until we were at the end....
Darla Stokes
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice, solid, fairly low-key romantic suspense. Good theme of going home with a backdrop of an Amish community. Well-rounded characters, and pretty much all the plot threads were connected in some way to the concept of family. There were a couple of threads dangling at the end that I'm guessing will be covered in the next book or books (this is apparently the first in a series). I'm not sure I'll get the next one, since I'm trying to whittle down my TBR pile, but I'm sure I'd enjoy it.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Watcher in the Dark
Category: Suspense
"Set within the Amish community, with a strong, sympathetic heroine at the center of a suspenseful plot, Perry's story hooks you immediately. Her uncanny ability to seamlessly blend the mystery element with the contemporary themes makes this one intriguing read." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars.
Heidi
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Home by Dark is another great read by Marta Perry. Her latest story about Rachel returning to Pennsylvania Amish country is filled with family and hope and a bit of mystery. It was just what I needed today.
Kristina
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think I would give this book a 3.5 /4 star rating. it was a good read, but I felt that this book was kind of a setup book for a series. I did enjoy the characters and I would like to read more about them. I would recommend this book to others.
Darlene Torday
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this story. Nice to see her family start to accept her not being Amish. Good falling in love story without rushing the romance. Nice mystery that had me guessing exactly what was happening on top of the hill.
PWRL
Feb 15, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Cindy
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like this author's stories and writing style. Will read her again. Recommended for cozy and romance readers.
Tanya Sylvester
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked more than I thought I would like a book with the Amish as a sizable factor in the book. Nothing against the Amish, just wondered how a mystery was going to make that aspect interesting...
Natasha
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5
Kristi
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was the first in the 3 book amish series and was pretty good. There were parts of it that I thought were kind of drug out and I lost interest but It would pick right back up.
Quillracer
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Marta Perry never fails to tell a great story.

The proof is right here in Home By Dark.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Upon a Winter's Night (Home Valley, #4)
  • In Plain View (Valley of Choice #2)
  • Material Witness (Shipshewana Amish Mystery #3)
  • Love Comes to Paradise (New Beginnings, #2)
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
  • A Quilt for Jenna (Apple Creek Dreams, #1)
  • Daybreak (The Days of Redemption #1)
  • A Vow for Always (Discovery, #6)
  • The Lesson (Stoney Ridge Seasons #3)
  • The Disappearances (Sadie's Montana, #3)
  • Plain Secrets (Willow Trace, #1)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • Katie's Journey to Love (Emma Raber's Daughter, #2)
  • Reckless Heart
  • Treasuring Emma (Middlefield Family, #1)
Marta Perry is a Pennsylvania-based author of over 35 novels, many of them inspirational romances. She uses her rural Pennsylvania life and her Pennsylvania Dutch heritage in writing her books, especially in her Pleasant Valley Amish series for Berkley Books and her new Amish-set suspense series for HQN Books.

Marta and her husband live in a centuries-old farmhouse in a quiet central Pennsylvania v
More about Marta Perry

Watcher in the Dark (3 books)
  • Search the Dark (Watcher in the Dark, #2)
  • Abandon the Dark (Watcher in the Dark, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)