Start by marking “Aftershock (Aftershock, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aftershock (Aftershock, #1)

Aftershock

(Aftershock #1)

THERE'S A FINE LINE...

As an emergency paramedic, Lauren Boyer is dedicated and highly capable. Until an earthquake strikes, trapping her beneath the freeway with a group of strangers--including Iraq war veteran Garrett Wright...

...BETWEEN PERIL AND PASSION

Handsome and take-charge Garrett aids Lauren in her rescue efforts, even as the steely look in his eyes seems to hide
Published December 18th 2012 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about Aftershock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftershock

Baba
4.5 stars. A thrilling read that provides a unique setting/plot.

Photobucket

The city of San Diego experienced a very powerful eightpoint-five earthquake as well as a series of strong aftershocks. The greater downtown area has sustained considerable damage and a lot of roadways have been destroyed. It's the ultimate nightmare. In fact, the whole area looked like a war zone.

Photobucket

A group of people are trapped in a freeway collapse at the Interstate 8 and Highway 163 connection. You'll be meeting the following cha
Auntee
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of gritty RS
Okay, I'm going to attempt to review this, even though I have a hard time reviewing books I truly loved. Why is it so much easier to review books you don't care for? Anyway...I loved this book! Totally original, it really pushed the envelope on the suspense and overall intensity. I was thoroughly caught up in it all, but to be honest, there was a point where I got so immersed in it that I thought I needed a breather. Verrry intense. From the opening chapters and throughout the book, I kept think ...more
Jill
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jill by: Auntee and Baba

When an earthquake hits San Diego, paramedic Lauren Boyer is trapped in a cavern under the concrete of a collapsed freeway. Several others are as well, including ex-Marine, Garrett Wright. As if the stress of dealing with the disaster, the injured and their survival isn't enough, a group of dangerous, escaped convicts are holed up with them in the underground chamber.

Some early average-to-low ratings initially put me off requesting an ARC of this. And though I've read and enjoyed Jill Sorenson b
Kathleen
3.5 stars. A fairly gripping but quite gory story, from start to finish, almost. More of a thriller, less of a romance, with the exception of some lovely -- and yummy -- parts, and some almost profound moments.

This is the first book I have read by JS. She's got a decent writing style. I liked the shifting point of view. There is some internal dialogue but not too much, and the characters don't REPEAT their thoughts too much, yet it did happen. (My pet peeve.) Most of the book involves combat, t
Saly
I really enjoyed this book, though they were a few WTH moments, like in the midst of rescuing people their thoughts about how hot the other person was. So, the heroine is a paramedic going on her shift when an earthquake hits her city, stranding her with the hero, a pregnant teenager, another girl and her grandfather plus a few sick people she is trying to save. They are low on supplies plus they are three rowdy prisoners on the loose threatening them.

I found the book's premise to be different a
Yvonne
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic 5 star read!
One of the best romantic suspenses I've read. The setting for this one was unusual and JS did a superb job of creating intense action and drama from the very start.

What can I say about the Hero, Garrett. He's everything I expect and want from a Hero (with one glaring exception/secret) but JS made it all work.
Penny was the perfect heroine who held her own throughout the book - loved her! She did pull one TSTL move towards the end but I forgave her easily. What's a Hero for i
Naksed
The author is trying to sell romance in the midst of a great natural catastrophe under the guise that people trapped together in a life and death situation will have heightened emotions and an instant and intense bond that could lead to lust and love igniting with volcanic intensity. That may be true but I found that I didn't wholly buy it. I wanted to, initially. The characters she placed together in a collapsed freeway after a monstrous earthquake, heroic ex Marine Garrett, courageous EMT Laur ...more
MelissaB
This was really a tale of survival after a major earthquake makes several people trapped together fighting for their lives. The romance aspect didn't get enough focus for me to totally buy it and I felt the story really needed an epilogue to show us how the couple was building a life together. There was a bit too much death and violence for my taste, the feel of the story was kind of grim for most of it. It was still an interesting story despite these issues which is the reason for my three star ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This book has such a different premise as it starts with a huge earthquake that rocks the city of San Diego. Lauren Boyer is a paramedic heading to a call as the earthquake hits. Her ambulance falls as the entire freeway collapses. When the earth finally settles, she ends up in a large cavern, underneath the collapsed freeway. Her paramedic partner is dead, actually many, many people are dead.

As Lauren starts to try to find survivors and help the injured, she meets Garrett Wright. She doesn’t le
Jae
W.O.W!
An absolutely crazy ride. For a moment there I thought I was going to hate how everything turned out at the end.
Shows how JS likes to toy around with her story telling and string us along for a bumpy adventure. Totally crazy and I loved it.
Jacqueline J
Jill Sorenson is getting better all the time. I really loved this book. Bought it at work this afternoon and finished it this evening. Well plotted and believable. Interesting well developed characters, especially the hero, Garrett. (view spoiler) His story was very strong. I loved how he faced up to choices he'd ma ...more
Hbeebti
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was such a crazy ride. I swear the very beginning was so darn realistic, that it was scary. I honest wouldn't know what to do in that kind of situation.This was nonstop action and some serious sexual tension. I loved Garrett. I really wasn't sure how it would all end. It just felt like to many things standing in Lauren and Garrett's way. but this author was brilliant and gave them their HEA.
Kathy
4.5 read. What a surprise. I had no clue this was going to be a little bit Lost, a little bit Lord of the Flies with Survivor thrown in-all taking place under an earthquake damaged overpass in San Diego.
Kathrynn
Didn't care for the prisoner-theme that ran thru this book. Would have liked for that aspect of the storyline to have been different, but it played a major role.

Massive earthquake in San Diego caused destruction on a freeway and a small group of people were trapped inside fallen bridges/overpasses for about a week trying to survive. Unfortunately, a bus full of prisoners were also in the group and one of the prisoners turned out to be a major hero. Garrett. Former military with PTSD. Found his
Would have probably worked better for me with the more typical action movie plotline: survive disaster with hot McGyver type; rely on and impress each other through endless crises; throw in some sexual tension that relies on banter not body parts; and indulge in your smooches after you've gotten proper medical attention and a thorough hosing down with antibacterial soap.

As it was, the inappropriate boners and sexy thoughts were very jarring amidst piles of rotting corpses, cartoonish villains,
Molly O'keefe
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has an amazing premise - a group of earthquake survivors are caught in a cavern created with the san diego interstate collapsed. There's a pregnant girl, hot guy, paramedic, grandpa and a young girl - oh and some dangerous convicts. The action, the "what are they going to find and be able to use to get them out of there" questions had me turning pages.

I ALSO loved the very risky characters she created. Owen, a young convict was especially endearing and fresh. The romance, for me took a
Keri
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
NTM Jill Sorenson did a wonderful job of keeping me on edge and tuned in, as I watched Garrett and Lauren struggle to survive and turn to each other for comfort. Will not be my last Sorenson. As much as I loved Garrett though, it was Owen that really captured my heart and I hope him and Penny have a chance later down the road. They continually kept trying to steal the show. Wonderful read!
Kaetrin
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
review copy from author.

3.5 stars, rounded up.

Why I read it: The author provided a review copy.

What it's about: (from Goodreads) THERE'S A FINE LINE As an emergency paramedic, Lauren Boyer is dedicated and highly capable. Until an earthquake strikes, trapping her beneath the freeway with a group of strangers-including Iraq war veteran Garrett Wright...

BETWEEN PERIL AND PASSION

Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, _cb
Review copy provided via NetGalley

Why I Read this Book: This book has one very interesting and original premise. I’ve been wanting to read a book by this author for some time now and when I saw this book, I knew this was the one to go with.

What I Liked: This book is different from most other romantic suspense novels I have read. As if being in a car on a freeway interchange with another freeway pass overhead during an 8.5 earthquake wasn’t bad enough, the author adds a prisoner transport vehicle
Carisa
This story was really good, setup was the aftermath of an earthquake and was told very realistically with the appropriate balance of suspense and romance, and several parts were truly emotional. The main and secondary love stories were very sweet, great H/h pair, and characterization was well done.
HERO was a Warrior, ex-Marine who suffered PSTD whose consequences he’s still paying, filled with remorse about his past actions. He helps to rescue and save a few trapped survivors, and he offers them
Anne - Books of My Heart
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, library
This was romantic suspense, a story of survival after an earthquake. I enjoyed the survival, MacGyver vibe to things. The romance aspect was fine, not so exciting. I cared about the people tho. Under stress, they showed their true colors. It was perhaps a little too black and white but an enjoyable read.
Sonia
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporanea
Good action movie setting but unbelievable love story.
Edna
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

I really enjoyed my first Jill Sorenson book. Won't be my last.
MostlyDelores
Good set up, but a series of implausibly awful happenings popped the tension balloon and nearly caused me to sprain my left eye from rolling it too hard.
Anita
For some reason, the second go around reading this book wasn't as exciting as the first time. Maybe because I already knew what was going on? Or maybe because some of the characters seem a bit more... frustrating than I remember?

Also, the narrator, Piper Goodeve, for this audio book was also a bit disappointing. The distinctions between characters weren't done very well, and the inflections of her voice don't seem to depict character dialogues properly--excitement doesn't sound exciting, happy v
Gina
I enjoyed that this wasn't all sex.

I enjoyed the character development, the reveals and as far as this genre goes I did like this one. It didn't feel as far-fetched with the villains as other novels have. All in all a great read with a nice little pay off at the end.
Jess
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for_review
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads

Lauren and her paramedic partner Joe have just started their shift in San Diego when an earthquake hits and they’re at the epicenter of it. Being on a freeway overpass has them trapped among collapsing freeways, with death and destruction hitting fast and hard. Lauren barely survives but her partner is killed instantly. She comes across Garrett and together they form a camp with a few other survivors, as they’re trapped by fallen freeways and concrete. Am
Nicole Geddie
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Since I found romantic suspense, I can’t read anything else. This was my first book by this author and I absolutely LOVED it. The most perfect amount of suspense and romance, one not overshadowing the other. Embarrassing book cover but Incredible book. I cancelled plans just so I could read it in one day.
Christi Snow
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Review:
This was a great book. I sat down to read the first couple of chapters on Christmas Eve, when I had a million and one things to do, and could not put it down until I hit the last page. I couldn't tell you the last time that I was so completely riveted by a book. There is action and suspense in this book from the very beginning and you hardly have a chance to catch your breath through the entire book. It was SO GOOD!

The book starts out with the ambulance crew of Joe and Lauren as they a
Brie
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Originally posted at Romance Around the Corner

3.5 Stars

Source: a review copy was provided by the author.

This year Romantic Suspense has been lackluster, and with a few notable exceptions, I feel like it needs an infusion of new and innovative ideas. Jill Sorenson is one of those exceptions. Her stories may not be new, but they certainly are refreshing, and Aftershock takes it a bit further into the novelty territory. It’s not a perfect book, but I’m glad to see an author taking risks in a sub-ge
  • Killing Time (One Eyed Jacks, #1)
  • Lethal Pursuit (Bagram Special Ops, #3)
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1)
  • The Heart of a Killer (The Killer, #1)
  • Stolen
  • Don't Cry for Me (Rebel Ridge, #2)
  • Night After Night (The Reliance Group, #2)
  • Tempted into Danger (ICE: Black Ops Defenders #1)
  • Taken to the Edge (The Guardian Angelinos, #0.5)
  • Risking Trust (Private Protectors, #1)
  • Vall's Will
  • An Eye For Danger
  • Edge of Survival
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Shattered Valor (Red Team, #2)
Jill Sorenson is the RITA-nominated author of more than a dozen novels, including the Aftershock series with HQN. She lives in the San Diego area with her husband and daughters.

Aftershock (4 books)
  • Freefall (Aftershock, #2)
  • Badlands (Aftershock, #3)
  • Backwoods (Aftershock, #4)