Start by marking “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1)” as Want to Read:

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

(Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  166,830 Ratings  ·  24,767 Reviews
Dante can swim. Ari can't. Dante is articulate and self-assured. Ari has a hard time with words and suffers from self-doubt. Dante gets lost in poetry and art. Ari gets lost in thoughts of his older brother who is in prison. Dante is fair skinned. Ari's features are much darker. It seems that a boy like Dante, with his open and unique perspective on life, would be the last ...more
Published April 1st 2014 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published February 21st 2012)

Thomas
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thomas by: John
3 STEPS TO BECOME ME, THOMAS:

1. Obtain a copy of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

2. Read the book.

3. Fall in love. Fall in love with the writing, the characters, everything. Read past midnight, read in school, read everywhere and all the time. Slam the book shut and whisper-scream oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh. At the end of the book, allow a single tear to run down your right cheek and say a silent prayer of thanks for the fact that you are able to read at all.

Perh
Rick Riordan
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YA realistic fiction.

This book has won so many awards I could barely see the cover under all the stickers! After reading it, I understood why it gets so much praise. Sáenz tells the story of two young men, Aristotle “Ari” Mendoza and Dante Quintana growing up in El Paso, Texas during the 1980s. We follow their lives from age fifteen to seventeen, watching their relationship slowly grow, change and strengthen. Told from Ari’s point of view, the novel is crafted in short, lyrical chapters. The pro
Ariel
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
This book was so so beautiful.

In actuality, it doesn't have a "plot". Not a main story or event that the characters center around. It's about a boy. It's a story about a boy who is sad and angry and can't figure out why. It's about him trying to love himself and others. It's about the teenage condition and mentality.

Let's talk about why I loved it. Mainly, I loved the mood and tone. It made me feel mellow and warm. I liked that it was slow paced, that it felt like real life with small but import
Kai
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2015, glbt, 2016
“The summer sun was not meant for boys like me. Boys like me belonged to the rain.”

I've heard so many good things about this novel and seen it all over Tumblr. I wanted to read this so badly, which is why I finally, finally got my hands on a copy and started reading right away. I also finished reading it right away.

My thoughts:
Well, first of all, I love the way I can identify with Ari and Dante, but especially with Ari. Sometimes his stubbornness got on my nerves and I wanted to shake him and te
Emily May
I have been saving this book. Just waiting for the right moment for us to come together and love one another. And this book is fine, I guess. It's okay. But I really don't see the magic that prompted so many five star ratings and literary awards.

It's weird because I was sure we were meant for each other. A Printz Honor book featuring a gay romance between two quirky characters - one of whom is a rough guy who gets into fights and has a complicated relationship with his father; the other being a
Lola
description

Oh gosh, my feelings are all over the place.

It started in a very captivating way. I liked the narrator. Aristotle-nicknamed Ari-is a calm fifteen-year-old boy who prefers being alone...He doesn’t feel comfortable being around people his age but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s a recluse. Everyone things he’s sad and lonely but, really, he doesn’t mind it.

And then he meets Dante.

Dante who made him see the world differently. Gosh, how much I loved that character. Everything about him made me th
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Why do we smile? Why do we laugh? Why do we feel alone? Why are we sad and confused? Why do we read poetry? Why do we cry when we see a painting? Why is there a riot in the heart when we love? Why do we feel shame? What is that thing in the pit of your stomach called desire?”

I think I rarely read an introduction to a book that touched me as much as this one did. It were exactly questions like that I asked myself when I was a young and confused teen. I was always more serious than the other kids
karen
Dec 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
i really thought this was going to be a slam-dunk of a book. all those prestigious awards and recognitions, a gay coming-of-age story that got the coveted dana stamp of approval, that cover….

and it is not a bad book, not by a long shot; i definitely enjoyed reading it. it just doesn't transcend its YA status like so many YA books do. this is an excellent book for its audience, but for me, it doesn't have that crossover appeal that so many recent YA titles have had.

it gets points for featuring a
Kassidy
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful.
✨    jamieson   ✨
“Maybe we just lived between hurting and healing.”

I put off writing this review for months and months. Not because I didn't want to write it - I did. Believe me, I've worked this draft over and over like it's my magnum opus. I just wanted to get this review right, and to really communicate exactly how much this book means to me. I failed, but I did my best.

This review is going to be grossly personal, because this book meant so much to me personally. To me it wasn't just a cute book or a fun
Riley
This book is perfection
Regan
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an amazing story about love, identity, and family. I really feel everyone should read this book.
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Update Feb 2017
Lowering my rating to 3 stars since I think 4.5 was super duper generous

4.5*
I just didn't really love it as much as I had thought I would. Another case of a book being too hyped up for it to possibly live up to my expectations unfortunately.
That being said I did still really enjoy it and thing it was a beautiful story, pretty similar to some other books I've read though.
jessica
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay, im bumping up my original rating because sometimes i find myself randomly thinking about this book, even months after finishing this, so obviously i liked it more than i initially thought i did.

this was a sweet and touching story, but i keep coming back to the way the story was told. the writing was honestly of the highest quality. it was pure and raw and just so dang honest. i dont think i have ever related to a teenaged boy before, but this book changed that. the characters were just so
Cait • A Page with a View
That was just straight up beautiful. I put off reading it for so long because I saw everyone's reviews that they were crying and I thought this book would be depressing. But it's not. Not at all.

I usually don't get as into books that are mostly dialogue, but this one totally pulled me in... I could feel everything Ari went through. And I know I'm like the last person left to get to this story, so I'll just say that the hype is real.
Hershey
Do you remember the feeling you get when you watch the sun rise or set?

Do you remember the feeling you get when you're so happy that you felt like flying?

Do you remember the feeling you get when you're so sad and alone that you felt like curling yourself into a ball and wishing you never had to move on?

Do you remember the feeling you get when you're so mad that you don't know why your mad?

Do you remember the feeling you get when you wished you knew the mysteries of life?

Well, this book brought u
C.G. Drews
REREAD: JULY 2017

Okay wow. Just wow. You know how there are some books you love but then when you come back to reread, you realise you truly adore them SO MUCH YOU HAVE NO WORDS??? Because I'm having that moment. This is an emotional, painful and beautiful book and I hAVE feelings. omg. I swear I love this 53 x more than the first time I read it. I need more stars??

SMOL LIST OF THOUGHTS DURING MY REREAD:
• I listened to the audio (narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda!) and it was sooooo good. Absolutel
Ryan
"As Dante was watching me search the sky through the lens of a telescope, he whispered, 'Someday, I'm going to discover all of the secrets of the universe.'"

description

All of the stars in the universe - an instant favourite. As some of you may know, I'm a sucker for a good coming-of-age love story, and this one completely delivered. I read this in one sitting. One. I don't think you understand, I'm ADHD, I hardly ever finish a book in one sitting. But this book? I refused to put it down. I said I'd read
Maggie
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I was fifteen.
I was bored.
I was miserable.
As far as I was concerned, the sun could have melted the blue right off the sky. Then the sky could be as miserable as I was.

This started off well, continued to, and was living up to my expectations, but then everything went down a little. I noticed things I didn't notice before. I wasn't even gonna bother with writing a review for this but I got 2 friends telling me to hurry up and write it although I got other things to do that involve school since
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, lgbtqia, young-adult
BEAUTIFUL. THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL.
may ❀
So, this is probably going to be the last review I write bc I don’t think I’m going to survive the boycotting my friends are going to inflict on me after I roast this book.

description
Firstly, I want to apologize to the world.

Secondly, WHAT THE HECK WAS THE POINT OF THIS BOOK??!!??

So the beginning was cute. It was cute in a middle-school-book kinda way. But going in thinking this was YA and getting an onslaught of 99% CONVERSATION and 0% PLOT made me feel ripped off.

I must say though, I appreciate the di
Liam
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the second time I've read this book now and I still have no words...

This book is honestly the most beautiful book I have ever read. It's so precious and I deeply connect with it in a way that I don't often do when reading a book.

This book truly is a blessing and I beg you all to read it. It's so important and well written and real and stunning and precious and true and perfect I just can't even express it!!!!
Jessica
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahh this was everything I hoped it would be and more. Full Review on YouTube: https://youtu.be/vtntRxbpS4c
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This was such a quick read!

I can definitely understand why so many people love this book - had tears in my eyes a few times!
Franco  Santos
Me gustó. Es una historia que nos enseña a valorarnos por lo que somos, sin importar lo que los demás piensen o digan de nosotros. Una historia que nos enseña a ver y encontrar lo que más nos hace felices, a apreciar a los que te quieren, demostrarles tu afecto siempre que puedas y a no juzgar a otros por las apariencias. Benjamin Alire Sáenz escribió un relato mágico, que transmite paz y esperanza.

Sin embargo,

Cuatro aspectos negativos:

► Me costó mucho encariñarme con Aristotle. Me resultaba in
Katie
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is seriously so cute and wonderful. it was so much different than what I expected going into it and ugh I just want everyone to read this.
Josu Grilli
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-agosto
Esta es una novela que venía precedida de un increíble hype y que irremediablemente termina afectando a su lectura. Durante las primeras páginas era incapaz de encontrar por qué la gente amaba tanto este libro, y unas páginas más adelante lo pude entender. Pero volví a lo mismo, a partes tediosas, sin trama, que hacían que la novela no fuera nada del otro mundo. Sin embargo, durante las últimas 100 páginas creo que conseguí conectar mucho más con los personajes y con la historia. ¿Será que Ari y ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
THIS BOOK IS SO SO SO SO SO SO SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL
Thoughts After Reading 41 344 Oct 14, 2018 02:17PM
Do you think the sequel will live up to the original 10 154 Oct 14, 2018 02:16PM
Benjamin Alire Saenz at WI Book Festival 1 2 Oct 10, 2018 09:15AM
Around the Year i...: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, by Benjamin Alire Sáenz 10 116 Aug 13, 2018 08:36PM
  • In Darkness
  • The White Bicycle (Wild Orchard, #3)
  • October Mourning: A Song for Matthew Shepard
  • Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
  • Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
  • Looks Over (Gives Light, #2)
  • Stick
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever #2)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
  • Gabi, a Girl in Pieces
  • Know Not Why
  • Two Boys Kissing
  • Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass
  • When I Was the Greatest
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet #1)
  • Don't Let Me Go
  • Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
Benjamin Alire Sáenz (born 16 August 1954) is an award-winning American poet, novelist and writer of children's books.

He was born at Old Picacho, New Mexico, the fourth of seven children, and was raised on a small farm near Mesilla, New Mexico. He graduated from Las Cruces High School in 1972. That fall, he entered St. Thomas Seminary in Denver, Colorado where he received a B.A. degree in Humaniti

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (2 books)
  • There Will Be Other Summers (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #2)
“Words were different when they lived inside of you.” 2299 likes
“I bet you could sometimes find all the mysteries of the universe in someone's hand.” 2270 likes