Start by marking “Allegiance in Exile (Star Trek: The Original Series)” as Want to Read:
Allegiance in Exile (Star Trek: The Original Series)

Allegiance in Exile (Star Trek: The Original Series)

Captain James T. Kirk embarks on a mission that he may soon regret in this all-new Original Series adventure from the New York Times bestselling author. A beautiful green world, rich in fertile soil and temperate climate…a textbook Class-M planet that should be teeming with life. Scans show no life-signs, but there are refined metals, including those associated with a spac ...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Pocket Books/Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Allegiance in Exile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Allegiance in Exile

Jerry
This one didn't do too much for me.
Michael
Lately I've been revisiting the Star Trek universe via a combination of DVDs, Blu-Rays and streaming video as well as listening to the great Mission Log podcast.

All of that, plus reading a few heavier books (both in terms of content and page count) put me in the mood for a light, fun palate cleanser tie-in novel. And so it was that after a year of languishing on my to-be-read pile, I finally decided it was time to give David R. George III's Allegiance in Exile a look.

Set in the final year of th
Paul Lunger
Feb 08, 2013 Paul Lunger rated it it was ok
Somewhere along the way David R. George III's "Allegiance in Exile" is a story that wants to be far more than it is instead of the absolute debacle that develops. The simple premise is the Enterprise near the end of Kirk's 4th year of the original 5 year mission comes across a seemingly abandoned M-Class world with 1 city that seems relatively harmless until missiles start raining down on the planet & out at the Enterprise. The same pattern repeats itself on yet another world in a different ...more
Glenn
Mar 20, 2017 Glenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Allegiance in Exile, Captain Kirk is exploring a world with an abandoned destroyed city. When the scouting crew lands they discover the city was a year old. Soon they find warp capable space craft on the border of the city. When the landing party lands the Enterprise finds missiles shot at them. Soon Spock finds hidden silos and the landing party quickly transports to it. Inside is automated missile makers and targeting systems. Kirk regretfully gives the destruction order. Allegiance in Exil ...more
Marie
Dec 26, 2016 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
If half-stars were a thing on Goodreads, I would give this book a solid 2.5 stars.

As Star Trek novels go, the plot is fairly decent; this could have been a pretty good book. Unfortunately, there were three major problems that held it back.

First, the ending was rushed. The conclusion was unfulfilling, and the main twist was more of a "huh" than a "wow" to me.

Second, about a third of the novel is told introspectively (is that a word? that seems like a word to me). Character development and plot f
Sarah Larasati
I have mixed feelings about this one. I was expecting an exciting, engrossing story, and Allegiance In Exile did deliver, but only a little, and the entire story just falls...flat to me. There's nothing wrong with the plot - in fact, the synopsis was what compelled me to buy this one out of a dozen other Star Trek novelization - but it feels like the author threw all those intriguing, sexy mystery out of the airlock and replace them with...I don't know, I'm not entirely sure how to describe my f ...more
Helix
Sep 17, 2016 Helix rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I remembered reading this sometime in 2013/2014 (the title finally came back to me after I saw this in the bookstore yesterday), and I also remembered that this was pretty terrible. Two notable low points was (TOS) Sulu hooking up with this girl and it all sounds like a badly written fanfic, in which Sulu is written as a smitten schoolboy that constantly fanboys over his crush (alas, I know that love will make you stupid, but there's a thick line between well-written romance and OOC romance and ...more
David Palazzolo
Mar 31, 2014 David Palazzolo rated it really liked it
If it were possible to give 4 1/2 stars to this book I would. Allegiance in Exile is a very enjoyable Star Trek novel despite it being so different from the standard fare. Not that I'm knocking Trek books, Lord knows I love me my Trek, but it turned out not at all what I had expected and God bless David R George for it. The novel covers in broad strokes the final year of the Enterprise's famous five year mission. The main storyline of the novel deals with the mystery of two completely demolished ...more
Kate
May 03, 2016 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been in a bit of a reading slump lately so I greatly appreciate a trip to the 23rd century to hang with Kirk and his crew. It's not a terrible tie in, nor is it one of my favourites, but it was just what I needed.

The actual mission, which covers several months during the final year of the first five year mission, is fairly basic until the last bit of the book (no spoilers). There are cities being destroyed and no one can figure out why - especially since the cities look ancient but really f
Patrick Hayes
Jun 08, 2013 Patrick Hayes rated it really liked it
A massive Star Trek novel, 369 pages, that follows the original (and BEST) crew of the Enterprise on a mission that occurs in the final year of their original five year mission.

The plot is two-fold: the crew is trying to learn what annihilated an alien colony that was seemingly built in less than a year, and Sulu forms a relationship with a crewmember. Sounds simple, but with David R. George III at the helm, this was a page-turner for me!

I loved the mystery of the colony, and fans of another Tre
Jeff
Jun 16, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand being a Star Trek fan, principally because I grew up watching the TV show, I enjoyed this book. Reading this story gave me the feeling of watching another episode of watching an original episode of Star Trek starring the original cast.
On the other hand, this story seemed to plod along especially with the side story about Sulu's love affair with a crew member of the Enterprise. While not being too long, I wondered what that had to do with
Dan
Nov 25, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, tos
While somewhat less "epic" than his earlier foray into The Original Series, Allegiance in Exile gets a hearty "recommend" from me. As usual, George nails the characterizations of the regular characters we've come to love, and the characters he introduces are fully realized and compelling. A quick read, I was able to complete Allegiance in Exile in a single day. It was fun to revisit the TOS era, and I'm looking forward to future novels by this author. If you haven't had a chance yet, please chec ...more
Jimyanni
Dec 17, 2014 Jimyanni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was a reasonably well-written book, if a bit over-ambitious. It is set in the last year of the Enterprise's 5-year mission, and has Kirk worrying about rumors that he's going to be forced to accept a promotion to Admiral when the mission is over. It purports to show the first meeting between him and Lori Ciana, which I believe that we've allegedly seen elsewhere. It gives Sulu a romantic involvement, albeit a short one. It has him behaving in a rather more immature way than I would have exp ...more
Jamie
Jul 22, 2015 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because it is listed as part of the DS9 backstory, which I found pretty intriguing for a TOS book. I was hooked at the start, a mysterious destroyed ancient city on an otherwise uninhabited planet? Sign me up.

But about a quarter of the way in, the story shifts to a strange "Member of the crew goes on a date" perspective. The story just lingers there for far longer then they mystery that started the book.

Finally at the very end we see the DS9 connection, which is kind of neat, bu
Michael Blackmore
Meh. Sometimes I read Star Trek, Doctor Who and Stargate novels because I liked the shows and have some nostalgia for them. But boy, can they be hit or miss.

To me this was much more of a miss. I think the nagging problem was there was so much time talking about other way more interesting adventures they characters had been on in the series, movies and in other novels - it just really drew attention that there wasn't that much interesting going on here.

Oh, well... You win some, you lose some wh
David
Feb 02, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Interesting plot and nice to see some connections to the "Next Generation" timeline, but it was overwritten at times and I found the Sulu love story to be cloying way too often. Add that to George's need mention old episodes and then drag the plot to a halt while he explains what the references mean, and you have a bit of an irritating read.

I did like how it focused on the end of the 5-year mission and Kirk's reluctance to take an Admiral's job, and the characterization was good for the most par
Daniel Kukwa
Jul 15, 2014 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
One of my favourite "Star Trek" authors comes up trumps once again, by writing another work I devoured in the space of three hours. This novel contains an intriguing mystery, a surprising and historic first contact with a very familiar race, some beautiful fanwank links to the TOS movie era and the post-finale DS9 novels, and an emotional roller-coaster for Sulu. What more could you ask from a "Star Trek" novel? Not much, as far as I'm concerned...
Terry
May 15, 2013 Terry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one with a brain
Shelves: sci-fi-read
Typical below grade rendering from the greedy publishers (CBS) of the over blown original Star Trek television series. You would think that they could entice some writers with actual talent other than those so expert in rendering boiler plate repetition of already well known Trekkie trivia at the expense of an actual interesting story.
Judith Paterson
Disappointing - not sure why, lots happens but the first half seems very slow. Lots of navel gazing by Kirk and even romance for Sulu, but somehow it just doesn't seem to really convey the emotions. The action hots up in the 2nd half but is still just a emotionless reporting of events with little humour either.
It does set up the romance of Kirk & Admiral Lori what's her name

Greg Lindsay
For me this book took a bit to get into. But it picked up about half way through and kept a pretty good pase. The characters stayed true to their expected rolls. Sulu had a interesting side story in this one. Not a bad story over all and DS9 fans will like it.
Murray Moore
Feb 28, 2013 Murray Moore rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
I like this star trek novel it set in about the last year of the orginial five year mission. Mr sulu has a major part in this story. It starts a little slow but it soon picks up the pace. Kirk makes a first contact with an alien race .
Laura Chambers
Apr 01, 2016 Laura Chambers rated it really liked it
A sad tale. Why does it not surprise me that he's the first to meet them too?
Robert Lewter
Aug 31, 2015 Robert Lewter rated it it was amazing
Star Trek takes me away.
Michael Bradley
Jan 28, 2017 Michael Bradley rated it liked it
Not the best author to write about the original series, but still being a lover of Star trek it was worth reading.
omiczech
Oct 30, 2016 omiczech rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book is kind of strange. Recapitulates many episodes and events from our history. Author uses wierd worlds and names (i.e. Ensign Walking Bear). It kind of ends and kind of does not.
Larry Mckee
Jan 21, 2014 Larry Mckee rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Interesting side story about Zulu.
I was surprised by the ending and that rarely happens.
Judy Green
Jun 01, 2016 Judy Green rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
XF+
Miket01
Dec 15, 2012 Miket01 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Relationship drama for Mr. Sulu that avoids some cliches. Somewhat unsatisfying resolution to the central mystery, but I get the feeling it ties in to some DS9 novels.
Gary4278
Feb 27, 2013 Gary4278 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought Allegiance in Exile was entertaining. George uses action and intrige with a back story of Lt. Sulu. I couldn't put it down.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • From History's Shadow
  • The Weight of Worlds
  • Devil's Bargain
  • The Shocks of Adversity
  • Crisis of Consciousness
  • Long Shot (Star Trek: Seekers, #3)
  • Forgotten History (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations, #2)
  • A Choice of Catastrophes
  • The Folded World
  • Burning Dreams
  • The Poisoned Chalice (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)
  • The Empty Chair (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #5)

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 113 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • The Abode of Life
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire