Start by marking “True: An Elixir Novel” as Want to Read:
True: An Elixir Novel

True: An Elixir Novel (Elixir #3)

3.47  ·  Rating details ·  1,905 Ratings  ·  209 Reviews
The epic love story of Clea and Sage comes to its thrilling conclusion in the final book in the Elixir series by multitalented star Hilary Duff.Following the harrowing events of Elixir and Devoted—and the ceremony that almost killed Sage—Clea faces a new reality: With Sage’s soul in Nico’s body, the love of her life looks an awful lot like her best friend’s boyfriend. Can ...more
Published April 16th 2013 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True

Debby

Dear Elixir series,

Once upon a time, I was young and naive. Your first installment, Elixir was so gleefully different and had such a mysterious and creepy vibe that I honestly couldn't put it down until I finished. I was excited. Especially because I completely adore Hilary Duff.

But maybe that made me see this in a more flattering light than warranted. But I was inexperienced! I honestly had not read much before that point, and now, the tables have surely turned. First of all, I think
Hillary
I know it's going to suck, but I'm going to read it anyway. Why do I put myself through these things?

Why did she suddenly switch to the present tense in this book? Why did she suddenly start switching POVs? Is it because present tense and multiple viewpoints are "in" right now? Geez.

The librarian made a comment while I was checking out this book, "Hilary Duff. I thought she was over and done with." Me too, man. Me too.

As I expected, it sucked. And what happened to Clea's dad? That part of the
Rachel
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fantasy, read-2013
Completes the series, but it is very slow paced, and the tension that make the other books a little interesting is completely gone.
Tatiana Sandoval
FINALLY!
Jenny (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
This book was a surprisingly good read considering it had to follow on from the plot twist that happened at the end of book two (view spoiler). I absolutely hated that plot twist and the consequences that it would mean for the plot and for the characters.
The writing held my interest enough that I wanted to keep reading until the end even though I knew that I wasn’t going to get the ending that I wanted.

Overall it
VictoriaSong
Oh thank you Hilary Duff, I thought, Devoted ended kind of meanly, hope there is a 3rd book on it's way (it's understandable that she has been really busy with taking care of baby Luca) because I would really love to see Clea and Sage's story continue ;p
Krystal
**Original review posted here.**

I still find it hard to believe, but Hilary Duff is an author and she wrote this series and pulled off a pretty good trilogy. The Elixir novels were intense, romantic and intriguing. We never knew what would happen next and I enjoyed that. In True, book #3, we finally see the fate of Clea and Sage. Are they finally together for life or did the ceremony from Devoted end Sage's life forever? If you've read Elixir and Devoted then it's crucial that you finish the ser
Melissa Clyne
May 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Naroba
Jan 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't review books. I just have this app to look for new books and occasionally read someone's review to laugh or go "hmmm I might just see this point they're trying to make"
But this book upset me so much I just had to get on here and rant.

What the hell was on Hillary's mind to write this book the way she did?!

The man (Sage) is violent toward Clea and Rayna and everyone around him and it's okay because of the situation?! NOOOO.

Not to mention I never did find out about her dad. And then turning
Shea
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm almost embarrassed to admit I read this book, but I read the first two in the series so I felt like I needed to finish it out.
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did the first two. It felt more out there, and for lack of a better term, weird. I really only started getting into it in the last 50 or so pages when I wanted to see how it ended. It definitely wasn't horrible, but I have to say I'm glad the series is over, because once I start a series it's hard for me to stop, no matter how bad
Rocío
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha sido el libro más lento de la trilogía y a pesar de ser el desenlace me ha dejado con un par de dudas que me hubiese gustado que se resolvieran.
De todas formas ha estado muy bien, ya que la trama ha continuado siendo interesante aunque en muchas ocasiones bastante fantástica.
También he echado de menos un poco más de acción con Sage y con respecto a él y Clea, ya que dicen estar enamorados y no han pasado tiempo juntos, por lo que por esa parte me falta credibilidad.
Aún así me ha gustado la hi
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Okay so Sage died, his soul landed in Nico's body, Rayna's love interest, I saw that coming, but I don't like Sage anymore, because I don't like Nico and becasue he broke the soulmate link between himself and Clea.

Let's see how it ends, and see if their love is strong enough, the whole lot of them, not only Sage and Clea.

Amy
May 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
LONG STORY SHORT: I got a copy of "True" when I went to the Ellen Degeneres show and Hilary Duff (ugh) was the guest. I was skeptical at first (just because she's a celebrity doesn't mean she should be an author, right?)...but then I felt bad for being judgmental.

I grabbed the first two books in the series from my library (I wasn't going to spend money on them) and began.

It went from bad to worse...and then MUCH WORSE. I really should have trusted my initial feelings.

I feel like my brain needs
Heather Miller
May 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Truly one of the worst books I have ever read and I went into it with low expectations. I was hooked into the first book of this trilogy because I thought it had an interesting premise even though it was not well written. The only reason I read this book was to finish out the trilogy and find out what happened to the characters. This book was so teenage girl-ish, but not in a giddy, romantic, fun way, but in a snotty, spoiled, obnoxious, immature way.
Kerenza
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Brown
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this final book in the trilogy. I love romance novels and am happy how the book ended with Nico saying goodbye (although I did hope he would somehow come back and Sage would take another body). I seriously thought that Ben had changed and was blindsided by what he did. Good ending Hilary! I hope to hear (read?) more from ya in the future!
Leash
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minus the foul language. This book was the best one out of the series. It's too bad Duff decided not to write anymore books because she proved to readers that she is talented not just in the film industry, but in writing as well. Of course books one and two should be read in order to fully understand the plot and what is happening.
Kylie Crucifixion
YES YES A COVER
Don't like the cover of the font though. Once again, it should MATCH the color of the fonts on the other books.

Anyway, I need this to hurry up and be out so I can have an excuse to re-read the series! :p
Amber Kestner
It just wasn't worth reading since you never find out what happens to her father, on the other hand it is a great series with two books instead of three but I can say hope Hilary is okay with just singing and acting because writing isn't her thing, at least she gave it try.
Jaime Yeager
Jul 06, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
I Repeat - Why am I OCD and have to finish series that I start? This one goes way out there with the paranormal
Sam
Aug 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Sometimes two and a half stars but sometimes three... I'm conflicted about this one.*

There are vague, but spoiler-type things here. Especially at the end.

It's been about three years since I read the second book in this series, Devoted.
By default, it's been even longer since I read the first book, Elixir.

If I read them now, I would probably react the same way as I did to big chunks of this book. Namely, the parts that are wrapped up too tightly in love.
Please, no. I can't handle two, "Character
Charlotte
May 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2013
Originally published at Gypsy Reviews

Dear True,

You know why I picked you up? You know the only reason why I would have opened you up? The name – Hilary Duff. Yes, my childhood idol. I can shamelessly say I adored her Metamorphosis album and Lizzie McGuire was made of so much awesome your favourites couldn’t even. Back when I was a naive reader, I picked up Elixir and Devoted and found them decent enough but once I pick you up, YIKES. It was an explosion of nopes, what, rolling eyes and are you s
Tanit
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a fair amount of twists and an ending one could have only hoped for.
J.M. Stetson
Mar 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dude, I read this book knowing that it would be bad (after all, have you seen my previous review for this series?!) But I was hoping for funny bad, no "Oh my gosh, why did we kill trees for this??!" Bad.

Firstly, if I ever have to hear one more over dramatic corny line about true love without reason ever again, I may get physically sick. That being said, it was also ridiculously funny. Not actual funny, but like, wow, and this got published funny...

Next, more unrealistic events going on. I mean,
Nicole (livinglifewithbooks)
What I thought of this book overall (read only this section if you do not want to be spoiled) : I am not to sure how I feel about this book. The synopsis for this book says that this is an "epic conclusion" to the elixir trilogy. I don't think it was epic persay, but I did kinda like it. I did enjoy some of the humor in this book. The character's are nice. I do adore Hilary Duff, but maybe she should stick to acting and singing. However, it was a neat little project for her and I do support her ...more
Lisa
I've been meaning to read this series for quite awhile. I've always been a fan of Hilary Duff and her multitude of talents and when she talked about her books on the Ellen show, I immediately put them on my TBR.

There are two camps of thought about this trilogy, either readers really love it or really hate it; I'm in the I love it camp! This is the kind of story that really pulls me in. I started the first book of the trilogy on Monday night... it is now Thursday night and I've finished all thre
Alex (Lexie)
I hope I'll get the approve for the ARC... I wanna know it so bad. LOL. :p

UPDATE: 12.28.12 YAY!!! Got approve for ARC!!! :)

Okay... When I first started reading this third book, I can't remember what really happened in the second book. Yes, I also forgot what's the title for the second book. :/ I just know that Sage's soul is now inside Nico's body. I don't remember who the hell is Ben. Then I started to remember as I go on reading this book.

When I started reading the first book a year or so ag
Abi Holligan
Oct 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Description:
Clea is back and so apparently is Sage, but in Nico's body how will they explain this to Rayna? And when Sage starts to take funny turns because his new body seems to be rejecting its new soul, how can they find a way to help him, is Nico still inside? Will Clea and Sage finally get their happy ending?

My Review:
Well I must say I was really disappointed in the final book of the Elixir series!

To start off the book was so short, it felt a little rushed, the story could have been played
Becky
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had genuinely forgotten about this series. I picked up book 1 last year as I was curious. As a Hilary Duff fan I wanted to see what her book would be like and I was pleasantly surprised, a few days later I read book 2 but was disappointed with it. Then last week at the library I was shelving some books and I saw this on the 'new books' display and I decided to finish the series. I had to look up the first 2 on this blog and goodreads first to refresh my memory then I got stuck in.

It was bette
  • Lone Girl (Wolfling, #2)
  • Lessons of the Heart
  • Short Stories
  • Spellbinding
  • Infatuate (Gilded Wings, #2)
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)
  • Renegade (Ripper, #2)
  • Linc (Cocky Cage Fighter, #3)
  • The Exceptionals
  • Anthem for Jackson Dawes
  • Furious
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • Ravage (Deviants, #3)
  • For the Rush (Playing for Keeps #3)
  • In A Heartbeat (Shameful Regret, #1)
  • Shadow of the Mark (Carrier, #2)
  • Life After Theft
  • The Twilight Kingdom (Feyland, #3)
Hilary Erhard Duff is an American actress, pop singer-songwriter and entrepreneur. After gaining fame for playing the title role in the television show Lizzie McGuire, Duff went on to have a film career; her most commercially successful movies include Cheaper by the Dozen (2003), The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003), and A Cinderella Story (2004).

Duff has expanded her repertoire into pop music, with fo
More about Hilary Duff...

Elixir (3 books)